James Banks is transferring

Machinator

2 hours ago, immortal13 said:

I don't blame him for transferring....he never got to play. We could've won the Duke game if Shaka had used Banks down the stretch to check Bagley. Instead, coach dumbass went small and let Bagley assrape us repeatedly....no lube at all.

Even if he fouls out in 5 mins you make Bagley hit FTs

• Like 1

6 hours ago, immortal13 said:

Besides this not being true, he barely got to play. 

Genuinely can't remember him having a game where he scored more than 6-8 points and/or had a noticeably good game on the boards or on defence

7 hours ago, immortal13 said:

Banks played 12.4 minutes a game his FR year and averaged 1.7 points and 2.5 rebounds a game. Banks didn't play much his Sophomore year because he's not very good. Osetkowski, Bamba and Sims were all better players. Banks was recruited over for this very reason in the '18 class. 

Shaka should receive criticism for Banks because it was his recruit. It was a bad evaluation in terms of recruiting. 

But Shaka not playing Banks and recruiting over him isn't something that's really shocking. Banks seems like a good kid, but he's better built for a smaller school program. 

Edited by texasstrong12

34 minutes ago, Bort said:

Genuinely can't remember him having a game where he scored more than 6-8 points and/or had a noticeably good game on the boards or on defence

Banks actually played a good bit his FR year. His minutes were cut down once Big 12 play started against teams like OU, Iowa State and Kansas because Banks struggles on the perimeter defensively. He's not mobile enough to handle the type of bigs that spread the court. 

I think Banks can be a good rim protector for a smaller school program. 

Edited by texasstrong12

12 hours ago, immortal13 said:

I don't blame him for transferring....he never got to play. We could've won the Duke game if Shaka had used Banks down the stretch to check Bagley. Instead, coach dumbass went small and let Bagley assrape us repeatedly....no lube at all.

Neither do I and for the life of me I can't understand why coaches do stupid in game decision making like this.   Oh, this is working, we are winning/making a come back, oh, let's put in this other guy so everyone can have equal playing time.  WTH?!  Where did the killer mentality (read competitiveness) go?

12 hours ago, immortal13 said:

Our bigs all got in foul trouble at the end of the game because they started using the "dirty bitch" Grayson Allen in pick and roll action. We had absolutely no clue how to stop it. Allen scored all of his 12 points in the 2nd half and had multiple assists. 

It was a lose lose situation. Either Texas went big with Banks and Allen continued to shred us on the perimeter/pick and roll action or Texas goes small and Bagley abuses Davis inside. 

If Banks would have played against Duke, we likely still lose in a similar fashion because Duke would have exploited the hell out of Banks in PnR action like they were already doing to end the game we better defensive bigs. 

Edited by texasstrong12

13 hours ago, immortal13 said:

This right here. When we threw ED out there I was screaming at my tv.

14 hours ago, SDG said:

Might be a whole new team next year.  

It is every year. That’s why I can’t get into college basketball. Anybody who thinks they might have a drop of talent leaves. I’ll be watching a Spurs game and there will a guy on other team that the announcers say “went to Texas”. I won’t even remember them. I wish they could do something. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Majorcholas said:

This right here. When we threw ED out there I was screaming at my tv.

Who did you want to beat us at the end of the game? A group of FR in their 7th game or the SR that was generating almost all of Duke's offense at the end of the 2nd half by putting our bigs into screens on the perimeter? 

I actually find this discussion interesting but I think some are overlooking why Shaka actually went small. It wasn't nearly as easy a decision as some here like to argue. 

If Banks would have played  and Allen continued to abuse us in PnR  there would have been people screaming "Shaka should have gone small to slow down Allen". 

Edited by texasstrong12

54 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Our bigs all got in foul trouble at the end of the game because they started using the "dirty bitch" Grayson Allen in pick and roll action. We had absolutely no clue how to stop it. Allen scored all of his 12 points in the 2nd half and had multiple assists. 

It was a lose lose situation. Either Texas went big with Banks and Allen continued to shred us on the perimeter/pick and roll action or Texas goes small and Bagley abuses Davis inside. 

If Banks would have played against Duke, we likely still lose in a similar fashion because Duke would have exploited the hell out of Banks in PnR action like they were already doing to end the game we better defensive bigs. 

Dude there is zero excusing or rationalizing of our late-game personnel decisions vs Duke.

11 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

Dude there is zero excusing or rationalizing of our late-game personnel decisions vs Duke.

I would have played Hamm over Davis, but the idea Texas should have played Banks in that situation is laughable. 

Grayson Allen would have went in dry on Banks in pick and roll action. Just like he was already doing for most of the 2nd half against better perimeter defensive bigs. 

Edited by texasstrong12

4 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

Im talking about at the very end after Bamba fouled out. Instead of using Banks to at least body up on him, Shaka went small and Bagley assraped us. That's simply what happened. 

5 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

I would have played Hamm over Davis, but the idea Texas should have played Banks in that situation is laughable. 

Grayson Allen would have went in dry on Banks in pick and roll action. Just like he was already doing for most of the 2nd half against better perimeter defensive bigs. 

Would have been hard for Allen to do anything since he fouled out with 2 minutes to go in the 2nd half.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Mike "Wags" Wagner said:

Would have been hard for Allen to do anything since he fouled out with 2 minutes to go in the 2nd half.

You're right, I was mistaken. Still would have gone smaller with Hamm over Banks. Banks is absolute food against any team that's effective in extending bigs out to the perimeter. 

Granted, it makes more sense to play Banks with no Allen. 

Edited by texasstrong12

20 hours ago, SDG said:

Might be a whole new team next year.  

Except for Coleman, Sims, and DO?  And probably Roach?  And maybe Andrew Jones?

I get it, we've suffered a ton of attrition, but the idea that we're going to be playing a whole new set of guys is absurd.  That may not be GOOD, but it's the truth.

2 hours ago, immortal13 said:

Im talking about at the very end after Bamba fouled out. Instead of using Banks to at least body up on him, Shaka went small and Bagley assraped us. That's simply what happened. 

That's fair. I think there's times when Banks could have been used. 

I just don't buy the narrative that Texas had to go "big" against a team like Duke for long stretches, especially with a player like Grayson Allen. The fact Allen did foul out with 2 minutes left in the 2nd half certainly gives more reasoning behind the idea Banks should have played more.

To me, this is a game where Texas needed to play Hamm. He was a happy medium between some size and mobility on the perimeter. 

Edited by texasstrong12

15 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Except for Coleman, Sims, and DO?  And probably Roach?  And maybe Andrew Jones?

I get it, we've suffered a ton of attrition, but the idea that we're going to be playing a whole new set of guys is absurd.  That may not be GOOD, but it's the truth.

I posted this in the Longhorn '18-19 thread:

We will return 127 starts from last year if Roach returns (135 if Jones is healthy).

This year we returned 81 starts and 23 of those were from Jones who missed most of the year. 

The year before that we only returned 17 starts.

It's far from a "whole new team" if Roach returns. It's the most starts we've returned in a couple years, by a pretty big margin. 

Edited by texasstrong12

19 hours ago, immortal13 said:

Super observation.  Now why do you suppose he didn't get to play?  Allow me to offer a wild guess: the kid just isn't good enough.  No coach intentionally sits a player that can generate wins for their program.  I wasn't a fan after watching his HS footage and always thought he was a long shot to have any meaningful impact.  Banks wouldn't get meaningful PT at Penn.  #Truth.   

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, TooTexy said:

Super observation.  Now why do you suppose he didn't get to play?  Allow me to offer a wild guess: the kid just isn't good enough.  No coach intentionally sits a player that can generate wins for their program.  I wasn't a fan after watching his HS footage and always thought he was a long shot to have any meaningful impact.  Banks wouldn't get meaningful PT at Penn.  #Truth.   

I wouldn't want to begin to try to delve into the pea brain of our men's basketball head coach. The point is that any kid needs some playing time in order to develop. And frankly if the kid is that terrible, then we shouldn't have recruited him in the first place. I don't think that's the case...

Edited by immortal13

7 minutes ago, immortal13 said:

I wouldn't want to begin to try to delve into the pea brain of our men's basketball court. The point is that any kid needs some playing time in order to develop. And frankly if the kid is that terrible, then we shouldn't have recruited him in the first place. I don't think that's the case...

A lot of recruiting/scouting in basketball is based on potential and many players don't pan out.  If you play Banks, you are taking minutes away from someone else.  Banks didn't deserve to be on the court.  He didn't earn PT and that sucks for everyone involved.  I wish him well.  

I know its fashionable right now to bitch about Shaka Smart.  I get the frustration and the disappointment.  I know that people say a lot of nonsense when they are disappointed and frustrated.  I also know that most of the folks bitching about Shaka Smart don't know shit about basketball.   But hey, we are all entitled to our opinions and entitled to voice them with vigor - even if they are uninformed and just plain stupid.  

I wonder through:  how does a pea brain coach lose 4/5 leading scorers from his 28-12 Final Four team and follow that up with a 29-7 year, including a conference championship and then as a 12 seed get a win against a solid 5 seed (Wichita State) and almost beat a 4 seed (Indiana/61-63)?  How does that happen?

I mean it is possible that he came to Texas and forgot to coach.  Maybe Billy Donovan sucks at hiring assistants.  Or maybe we give the guy some time.          

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

Well, he did come to Texas and more or less abandon what made him successful at VCU.

I disagree with this.  But let's assume you are correct.  He moved away from the D he employed at VCU because he (a) enjoys sabotaging his own career and by rational extension hurting his family or (b) there are other prudent reasons for this decision.  I think (b) is considerably more likely than (a).