2019 Oscar Talk

TrashMaster G

Documentary category is really interesting. Surprised at the snub for the Mr Rogers doc, I thought it was a great watch but I can see why film snobs didn't vote for it. I've heard a lot of great things about Minding The Gap and Free Solo, the latter I'm going to try and see this weekend. Hale County I can't find anywhere online and Of Fathers And Sons I don't want to see because these last few years have burned me out on ISIS documentaries. I'm just glad Shirkers wasn't nominated. Wow it was boring as fuck

Roma was very good. Not sure if I enjoyed it or black klansman more but Roma is probably at a technical level more well done. 

Need to watch green book and the favourite. 

Considering it's a weak year I wouldn't lose sleep if Roma took best picture. Not the BEST thing I've seen in theatre recently but it had some very poignant moments and was directed very well.

I'd be shocked if Cuaron doesn't take best director.

I have two more of the Best Picture nominees to see. I can't pick a Best Picture between the two best I've seen so I'll just create categories:

I'd be OK if it won Best Picture

A Star Is Born

Roma

I don't think it should win, but would think it's cool if it did

Black Panther

I don't really know

Vice

Cancel Future Oscar Telecasts Forever If It Wins

Bohemian Rhapsody

Green Book

4 minutes ago, DanRydell said:

The acting and the chemistry between Mortensen and Ali is enough to make it watchable but the story is just formulaic “white person actually gets to know a black person and learns racism is bad” schlock.

Agreed with this assessment. Also reading more about the movie makes it way more problematic. They never consulted with Don Shirley's family at all and his family has characterized the relationship between them portrayed in the movie as bullshit. Don Shirley didn't consider Tony Lip his friend. They portray Tony Lip as the hero for changing his tune on black people and standing up for Don Shirley and completely glossing over the nuance of WHAT Don Shirley was trying to achieve with the concert tour. It all makes sense when you consider the movie was co-written by Tony Lip's son. 

On 1/22/2019 at 9:59 AM, Horn_Spanker said:

Watched Bohemian Rhapsody this weekend then downloaded the 1985 Live Aid concert footage.  The movie recreated the details incredibly close.  I think Malek did a great job.  

Very impressed with Lady Gaga.

Enjoyed Green Book.

Further down my list would be Vice.

At the bottom The Favorite.

Next to watch is Roma.

Saw Roma.  WTF?  The Favorite was better.  Should I see the black two?

BSA: Regina King and she deserves it. Also directed a nice segment on VY back in the day. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.tvguide.com/amp/news/vince-young-framed-37501/

BSA: Sam Elliott and he damn well deserves it. I keep misspelling Ali’s name from Green Book but he deserves to be in best actor category. 

Actor: Christian Bale. Also, for some reason the academy also neglects Willem Dafoe but his film was way smaller. Vice was not a good film: very much like primary colors. It would be nice to see Willem get an award. 

Actress: Glenn Close and also deserves it. Being stuck with the bunny rap is what killed her career. She never actually killed the bunny. Olivia Coleman has a shot though. 

Film: should be Black Panther or Roma given all the shady shit that’s happening with these films. And the stuff behind them. That’s how it should go man. Award all the old timers. And give the song to gaGa and film to Black Panther

2 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

BSA: Sam Elliott and he damn well deserves it.

Nvm was thinking of Rockwell. Would be a fan of Elliott winning. Mahershala is the odds on favorite, though, but already has a supporting Oscar.

Cuaron should be a shoe in for best director.

Roma will win best pic. Black Panther winning would be one of the biggest fuckups ever.

Actor could end up being Malek. I'd assume Bale but wouldn't be surprised if the Academy went with Rami. 

Close is long due and will win it.

Edited by ztejas

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/21/2019 at 7:30 PM, tantric superman said:

Sweet Christ A Star is Born may be the first best picture nominee I ever started that I couldn't finish.  Was just awful, at least up until they were sitting in front of some A&P. 

Roma>>Blackkklansman>>Black Panther >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>A Star is Born

Awful. Standard fare chick flick with 90 bonus minutes of Brad Cooper and Lady Gaga sniffing their own farts.

More like a shart is born.

• Like 1

On 1/24/2019 at 9:49 PM, ATLLonghorn said:

Oh my god Green Book is such predictable, Oscar bait bullshit. 

On 1/26/2019 at 1:05 PM, DanRydell said:

The acting and the chemistry between Mortensen and Ali is enough to make it watchable but the story is just formulaic “white person actually gets to know a black person and learns racism is bad” schlock.

it’s not formulaic, it happened.  it makes an effort to show unity between black and white at a time when people, like yourselves, would prefer for there to be division.  shirley has a line in the movie where he says you don’t win without maintaining your dignity.  that’s what the movie is about, holding onto your dignity when you’re faced with adversity.  well, nobody wants to be dignified right now.  you want division.  see jussie smollett.  

and shirley and lip were good friends, contrary to what ATLasshat read in his pinko commie rag. 

A Star is Born was my favorite.   Just really well done. There are some that think BR may win due to the preferential voting.  It’s such an inferior movie in so many ways. Roma will win though.  I won’t bother with Green Book and need to see the favorite. 

Director. Fine. Cuaron.  This is his 4th best movie though. Black Klansman is similarly Spike’s 5th or 6th best movie  

Actor will be Malek.  He was good but Bale and Cooper were better. 

Actress will be Close.   This is her Scent of a Woman.  The Wife is horrible.  

Supporting Actor guaranteed to be Ali,  should be Sam Elliott or maybe Driver.   

Supporting Actress. Hearing King should win.   If not her then one of the Favourites.  Have not seen.  

it’s not formulaic, it happened.  it makes an effort to show unity between black and white at a time when people, like yourselves, would prefer for there to be division.  shirley has a line in the movie where he says you don’t win without maintaining your dignity.  that’s what the movie is about, holding onto your dignity when you’re faced with adversity.  well, nobody wants to be dignified right now.  you want division.  see jussie smollett.  
and shirley and lip were good friends, contrary to what ATLasshat read in his pinko commie rag. 

It’s telling that your vision of racial unity is one of the most accomplished black men in the world being a supporting player in a white man’s hero journey of learning that black people are not sub-human.
  • Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, DanRydell said:

It’s telling that your vision of racial unity is one of the most accomplished black men in the world being a supporting player in a white man’s hero journey of learning that black people are not sub-human.

You missed that part of Martin Luther King, Jr.’s “I Have A Dream” speech.

12 hours ago, BradInATX said:

Awful. Standard fare chick flick with 90 bonus minutes of Brad Cooper and Lady Gaga sniffing their own farts.

More like a shart is born.

I was unimpressed as well.  It felt overwrought and manipulative, ala Titanic.  I can appreciate Cooper’s performance & Lady Gaga’s talent, but the movie was less than the sun of its parts, imo.

2 hours ago, mdmost said:

I think Roma will win but I'm curious if it loses some votes to fear of Netflix. I wish I had gotten around to see The Favourite.  

The Favourite was pretty good. I think Olivia Coleman deserves the Oscar, but I didn’t see The Wife with Glenn Close. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Goredho said:

I was unimpressed as well.  It felt overwrought and manipulative, ala Titanic.  I can appreciate Cooper’s performance & Lady Gaga’s talent, but the movie was less than the sun of its parts, imo.

I liked (read: didn't like) how they stopped just short of Cooper telling her that her pop music is soulless, mindless drivel meant for pre-teens and the lowest common denominator.  It was just implied.  Probably didn't want to insult Gaga's earlier life work and half the audience.

32 minutes ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

I thought SIB a was pretty good. I had no knowledge of any prior versions or backstory so I watched with a clean slate. Felt a bit rushed at times.

I’m in this camp. I definitely hadn’t seen the previous remakes, nor do I care it was a remake. I thought it was a pretty good movie. Cooper and Gaga did a great job. There were some forced parts but overall it hit the mark really well. 

Loved Roma. Hope it wins.

The Favourite was pretty good but I was kind of bored throughout about half of it.

Stopped A Star is Born after 20 minutes. Sucked balls.

Black Panther was awesome

Skipped Green Book and just didn't get to see Beale Street or AK.

Hope Rami wins and comes on stage in full FM teeth.

• Like 1

Wife and I finished all of them as of today. 

Power Rankings:

1) Roma - not much to say here. Great movie, fantastic visuals, very cool, unique setting. A take on "protagonist persists" that I've never seen done in the way it was done in Roma. Deserves the Best Picture award it will win.

2) Green Book - Formulaic, predictable, schlocky. Great movie. Wish Hollywood would realize that there's nothing wrong with making a well-written, entertaining, concise movie where the audience leaves the theater happy. Ali and Viggo were awesome and had tremendous chemistry. This movie was more legitimately funny than just about any comedy I've seen in ten years. For me easily the most enjoyable of the eight, but it's not quite unique or creative enough to win IMO.

3) The Favourite - quirky, visually cool, great storytelling and the ending hammered its point home well. Well done.

4-7) Black Panther, Vice, BlackKKlansman, Bohemian Rhapsody - they aight

AIDS tier) A Star is Born

Edited by BradInATX
  • Like 2