2019 Oscar Talk

TrashMaster G

1 hour ago, henrygandorf said:

add robert downey jr, will smith, the rock, margot robbie, mcconaughey, (was steve carrell even there?  he had a busy year), sandra bullock, angelina jolie, johnny depp, ryan reynolds, mark wahlberg, meryl streep, matt damon, ben affleck...

outside of nominees like cooper and bale - i think the biggest stars there were daniel craig and julia roberts.

even the red carpet stuff (which i was forced to watch hours of) was pretty quiet and awkward.

Word.  Are they boycotting or has it just gotten that lame?

Also, not sure Daniel Craig even counts, as he's married to one of the noms. 

1 minute ago, EvilCaseMcCoy said:

Word.  Are they boycotting or has it just gotten that lame?

Also, not sure Daniel Craig even counts, as he's married to one of the noms. 

The invisible stars, the chosen presenters, and the 'elected' winners, and most importantly NO HOST AT ALL, combine to deliver the message.

Now, the Warren Commission might find a way to declare no shenanigans, but if you have a 20th-century pre-post-fact-era frame of reference, it was pretty apparent by 715pm last night.

35 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

The invisible stars, the chosen presenters, and the 'elected' winners, and most importantly NO HOST AT ALL, combine to deliver the message.

Sorry, I have a thick skull. What is the message? And whom is it for?

19 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

I would assume it’s something political, but I would be more entertained if they were protesting Netflix taking over the industry or showing their haughty indignation at Marvel movies being nominated for Best Picture.

Roma was the favourite coming into the night. So maybe you'll get your wish yet.

So this didn't work out?  
Nope. Figure it was a scheme by some bettors to get better odds for Cuaron rather than a ploy by books for cash because their handle on Oscar props is pretty negligible (max bets usu $250 or lower).

Twitters are blaming/crediting AnonymousGamblr who claimed he actually saw several new accounts (from CS of all places) go all in for Yorgos, but then made a smartass tweet about deserving and Oscar himself

3 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

ok, so i saw all the spike lee drama, specifically his quote about whenever he loses, it's about someone driving someone around (insinuating that he previously lost to driving miss daisy).  i just assumed he was historically accurate with that tidbit, but just looked it up anyway.

miss daisy won best picture in 1989, beating out 4 other nominees, none of which were "do the right thing".  spike also lost best original screenplay in 1989, losing to dead poets society.  driving miss daisy's script won best adapted screenplay.  still wondering when they went head to head and he lost.  maybe the globes, but i'm too lazy to look that shit up.

I'm going to assume he feels the movie should have been nominated for Best Picture, which it was at the Globes.  A lot of black movie critics or historians are pretty critical of Driving Miss Daisy and let's face it, it's considered one of the Oscars many poor awards which didn't hold up.  There is some thought the controversy around DTRT, it's critical look at race relations and Lee's criticism of "white critics" who didn't give the movie the respect he thought it should engender is what kept Lee from getting nominated as Director, actor, or it getting a Best Movie nom.  But your post is definitely valid.  If anything DMD upset Born on the Fourth of July (Globes) or Dead Poets Society (BAFTA's), which were getting most of the buzz.  Personally, I thought Glory was the best movie of that year....

It's a bad look for Spike and makes him look like a whiner..... lose with dignity.  You do yourself no favors the next time you're in that position.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

I'm going to assume he feels the movie should have been nominated for Best Picture, which it was at the Globes.  A lot of black movie critics or historians are pretty critical of Driving Miss Daisy and let's face it, it's considered one of the Oscars many poor awards which didn't hold up.  There is some thought the controversy around DTRT, it's critical look at race relations and Lee's criticism of "white critics" who didn't give the movie the respect he thought it should engender is what kept Lee from getting nominated as Director, actor, or it getting a Best Movie nom.  But your post is definitely valid.  If anything DMD upset Born on the Fourth of July (Globes) or Dead Poets Society (BAFTA's), which were getting most of the buzz.  Personally, I thought Glory was the best movie of that year....

It's a bad look for Spike and makes him look like a whiner..... lose with dignity.  You do yourself no favors the next time you're in that position.

I agree completely about Glory.

And Spike is a whiner.  And a loser.  And a poor loser.

Add all that up, and he's a little bitch.

4 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

ok, so i saw all the spike lee drama, specifically his quote about whenever he loses, it's about someone driving someone around (insinuating that he previously lost to driving miss daisy).  i just assumed he was historically accurate with that tidbit, but just looked it up anyway.

miss daisy won best picture in 1989, beating out 4 other nominees, none of which were "do the right thing".  spike also lost best original screenplay in 1989, losing to dead poets society.  driving miss daisy's script won best adapted screenplay.  still wondering when they went head to head and he lost.  maybe the globes, but i'm too lazy to look that shit up.

Take it for what you will, but there''s this general buzz idea around the internet that DTRT was the best picture of 1989, and it didn't get nominated because it made too many people uncomfortable.  Instead, the film that did win the Oscar that year dealt with the same topic -race relations- but did so in a more wholesome, non-controversial, and "palatable to white people" way.  It's a film that, so the argument goes, white people liked but black people found insulting and pandering.

So fast forward 30 years.  This time Spike Lee's movie does get nominated, but loses out to another film that dealt with race relations in a more wholesome, non-controversial, and "palatable to white people" way. Again, so the argument goes, the winner was a movie that white people like but black people find insulting and pandering. 

FWIW, Chadwick Boseman and Jordan Peele reacted negatively to the announcement, just not as histrionically and childishly as Spike Lee did.  But my guess is that Spike Lee is OK with being the baby if it makes us all talk about the issue - which it did.

Also FWIW, I actually thought the "I lose every time someone's driving someone" was a great line.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

I agree completely about Glory.

One of my top 7 or 8 movies of all time.

There a scene in there that reminds me of this place.

Shaw: It stinks, I suppose.

Trip: Yeah, it stinks bad.  And we all covered up in it.  Ain't nobody clean.

Edited by Sbbruin
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Take it for what you will, but there''s this general buzz idea around the internet that DTRT was the best picture of 1989, and it didn't get nominated because it made too many people uncomfortable.  Instead, the film that did win the Oscar that year dealt with the same topic -race relations- but did so in a more wholesome, non-controversial, and "palatable to white people" way.  It's a film that, so the argument goes, white people liked but black people found insulting and pandering.

So fast forward 30 years.  This time Spike Lee's movie does get nominated, but loses out to another film that dealt with race relations in a more wholesome, non-controversial, and "palatable to white people" way. Again, so the argument goes, the winner was a movie that white people like but black people find insulting and pandering. 

FWIW, Chadwick Boseman and Jordan Peele reacted negatively to the announcement, just not as histrionically and childishly as Spike Lee did.  But my guess is that Spike Lee is OK with being the baby if it makes us all talk about the issue - which it did.

Also FWIW, I actually thought the "I lose every time someone's driving someone" was a great line.

That all may or may not be true.  It certainly fits in with a lot of the bitching I see in various stories and columns online today.  

The missing element in ALL of the commentary is any talk about how GOOD the movies were.  Nothing at all.

I think Spike Lee's movies are crap.  Obviously, a lot of people disagree with me, and that's fine.  But still, all the talk completely disregards the acting, the scripts, the directing, etc.  What that makes obvious is one thing:  This is all about agendas.  And for my money, fuck that.

16 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

i agree on the issue and the great line.  and do the right thing might be my favorite movie of 1989, and definitely my favorite spike lee movie.  i guess when i saw him make the comparison, i assumed he finished in 2nd place* (or at least thought he did thru being nominated).  i don't think blackkklansman finished in 2nd place either.

*i realize this isn't the heisman and we won't ever see voting, but in most years where people think someone got "robbed" or something, there's a two-horse race like saving private ryan/shakespeare in love.  was just interested to learn it wasn't nominated.

2 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

That all may or may not be true.  It certainly fits in with a lot of the bitching I see in various stories and columns online today.  

The missing element in ALL of the commentary is any talk about how GOOD the movies were.  Nothing at all.

I think Spike Lee's movies are crap.  Obviously, a lot of people disagree with me, and that's fine.  But still, all the talk completely disregards the acting, the scripts, the directing, etc.  What that makes obvious is one thing:  This is all about agendas.  And for my money, fuck that.

I can't actually comment because I didn't see either Blackkklansman or Green Book.  The Favourite was great but silly, Black Panther is a fucking superhero movie, Bohemian Rhapsody was a bit by-the-numbers and sugary, A Star is Born even more so, Roma was dull as dirt, Vice just wasn't very good.  So, I don't know. 

I'd have given it to Eighth Grade, which wasn't nominated.

Spike Lee's movies like Do the Right Thing and Jungle Fever have an agenda but some of them like Inside Man, and even movies like Clockers and this one seem pretty straightforward.  

I saw Blackkklansman as relatively benign in terms of having an agenda.  It's the Klan.  I thought it was generally pretty funny, and other than that, seemed like a straight storytelling without any preaching.

I like Spike Lee.  When he makes obvious directorial flourishes they are so obvious its as if he wants to let you in on the joke (when he does that thing with people walking/riding in cart) but often he kind of stands back.  A guy like Scorsese injects himself into every frame of the film, and that's usually great. 

Spike shows a lot of discretion in some of his films, I think. 

1 hour ago, tantric superman said:

Spike Lee's movies like Do the Right Thing and Jungle Fever have an agenda but some of them like Inside Man, and even movies like Clockers and this one seem pretty straightforward.  

I saw Blackkklansman as relatively benign in terms of having an agenda.  It's the Klan.  I thought it was generally pretty funny, and other than that, seemed like a straight storytelling without any preaching.

I like Spike Lee.  When he makes obvious directorial flourishes they are so obvious its as if he wants to let you in on the joke (when he does that thing with people walking/riding in cart) but often he kind of stands back.  A guy like Scorsese injects himself into every frame of the film, and that's usually great. 

Spike shows a lot of discretion in some of his films, I think. 

When I mentioned agendas, I wasn't talking about the films themselves.  I'm referring to all the talk about which movie SHOULD have won.

2 hours ago, Richard Kimball said:

Didn't watch. Did they do anything to honor Stan Lee? His characters have been responsible for about 50% of all movie profits over the last ten years. 

As a huge Marvel comics fan as a kid, it blows me away how important he is to current movie culture.  I've forgotten some of what I originally read, but it's fun to have conversations with my kids about how the characters in the movies compare to the original comics, story arcs, etc.  

In retrospect Stan Lee's imagination and creativity is colossal.  He created a universe of characters, using different artists, and sold them for 12-25 cents at 7-11 or Circle K.  I'm glad he was able to see his work turn into a powerhouse.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

maybe if spike had paid attention to green book he’d have learned something about dignity. 

• Like 4

Pretty good podcast today on the NYT Daily.  When all is said and done, you can really get the idea that many black people would be tired and insulted by the messages of Driving Miss Daisy being sold over and over again. 

How you handle your reaction to it is a separate debate, but I could see getting pissed off if people of my national origin kept seeing a message that they see as actually harmful to their identity as being peddled again and again. 

So, I see your point, let's make it a teaching moment, because in this context, anything more strident than talking about you concerns is not going to play well.  I feel for you, but that's just the way it is.

On 2/25/2019 at 4:01 PM, Liquor and Poker said:

I can't actually comment because I didn't see either Blackkklansman or Green Book.  The Favourite was great but silly, Black Panther is a fucking superhero movie, Bohemian Rhapsody was a bit by-the-numbers and sugary, A Star is Born even more so, Roma was dull as dirt, Vice just wasn't very good.  So, I don't know. 

I'd have given it to Eighth Grade, which wasn't nominated.

Yeah this is kind of my take but probably a little less harsh across the board. I just don't care that much considering the field was so weak. Cuaron deserved director. Cool to see Ali win another one. Also a big Malek fan. 

Felt a little like 2009 where nothing was really clear cut (although I'd take District 9 over the field that year) so they were like "fuck it, first female director. Also you're a dick Cameron"

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

So, is it clear why no one was there? Was it an organized protest of some shit? I am genuinely curious...

If it was a protest no one having a clue would kind of defeat the purpose.  I just think the general lack of star studded nominated movies pretty much means the lack of stars in the audience.  I'm sure Hanks and such have missed plenty academy awards that they weren't a part of.

If there was some protest we'd know about it. I bet it was more an attempt by producers / ABC to get 'hip, young' presenters to capture younger viewers -- Marvel folk, Awkwafina, Tessa Thompson,  Bryan Tyree Henry, et al. (Not that anyone tunes into a 3+ hour show to see a celeb do a bit for 90 seconds, but try as they might!)

Downside of course is you don't get the star-wattage to just show up for no reason. If Meryl, Angelina, T. Hanks have no duties / aren't nominated, they probably just wanna watch on their couch same as the rest of us (if at all?)

On 2/25/2019 at 9:14 PM, Trey3216 said:

Pretty much this.  And they left several noticeable names off the dead people montage as well, like R. Lee Ermey.  

Carol Channing being left out is bizarre. I know she was 100 years old but for fucks sake what do you have to do:

A Best Supporting Actress Oscar nomination

A Golden Globe

4 Tonys (7 noms)

A Grammy (2 noms)

• Like 1