2019 Oscar Talk

TrashMaster G

17 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

It’ll be lumped in with this era. I was amazed how ‘meh Shape of Water was.

I love the Bill Simmons concept of waiting 5 years to give the Oscars.   

Shape of Water was a really good movie but I never want to see it again.  Outside movies like Schindlers List, non-rewatchability should be a massive negative for any potential best picture nominee.  Bohemian Rhapsody was horribly flawed but it will be rewatchable.   

42 minutes ago, LonghornSean said:

The context and coincidence is wild.  First, he tried to leave but wasn't allowed so eventually went back to his seat.  He was pissed because he obviously thought he should win but the winner, The Green Book, has been compared to Driving Miss Daisy, which infamously beat out Spike's Do The Right Thing.

Lee recently said it still stung that his Do the Right Thing was snubbed in the year that Driving Miss Daisy won Best Picture. Backstage afterwards, he told reporters: “I’m snakebit. Every time someone’s driving somebody, I lose. … I thought I was courtside at [Madison Square] Garden and the refs made a bad call.”

Edited by Patrick Bateman

2 hours ago, WBT said:

I love Olivia Colman but I thought she and Emma Stone should have been in the opposite categories

I agree, but I don't know what the requirements are for the difference between supporting and lead actor categories. I thought Mahershala Ali should have been in the Lead actor category, given that he and Viggo had about the same screen time in The Green Book and were equally important to the story.

Edited by Dutchrudder

Just now, futureman said:

fascinating.  green book is a movie about learning what it takes for both sides to come together and “progressives” are using it to promote further division.  this shit will never cease to amaze me.  

The black character wasn't oppressed enough and the white character wasn't hateful enough.  

Funny to see the talk of moving the Oscars an hour earlier to finish on time, but I've been watching both the Oscars and the Grammys since I was a kid and I specifically remember both of them always running 10-15 minutes late. Because it was so unusual to see broadcast TV stations give them that much flexibility on the ending time. That shit ain't changing.

1 hour ago, futureman said:

fascinating.  green book is a movie about learning what it takes for both sides to come together and “progressives” are using it to promote further division.  this shit will never cease to amaze me.  

Keep that shit in the CR. Some people didn’t like Green Book bc they thought it was Driving Ms Daisy but this time the white person drove the car. I haven’t seen it, but don’t act like all criticism of this movie winning best picture is race based

4 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Keep that shit in the CR. Some people didn’t like Green Book bc they thought it was Driving Ms Daisy but this time the white person drove the car. I haven’t seen it, but don’t act like all criticism of this movie winning best picture is race based

Well, the fact that Crazy Rich Asians wasn't nominated shows the issue is clearly raced based.  

11 hours ago, Planet Houston said:

Olivia Colman rules. Haven’t seen that flick but she was fantastic in Broadchurch and The Night Manager. She seems as genuine as anyone in that industry can be. 

Can’t wait for her in The Crown. 

She's come a long way from "girl on girl action" and having a "midnight gobble".

• Like 1

Bunch of haters and apparently future Hollywood writers/directors in here.  So what was THE best movie of the year?  Everyone has different opinions/likes.  Yall act like your sports team got robbed.  Who cares.  Dont watch a movie jf you won’t like it. Just like I won’t watch the favourite bc I hate old british costume stuff. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Well if you haven't seen it or understand why people have a problem with it winning then do a little research before making a post that makes no sense. 

People have a problem with it because it's (as been mentioned before) Driving Miss Daisy 2.0.

Here read this to understand why people have a problem with it-

Why Do the Oscars Keep Falling for Racial Reconciliation Fantasies?

In many Oscar bait movies, interracial friendships come with a paycheck, and follow the white character’s journey to enlightenment.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/23/arts/green-book-interracial-friendship.html

Edited by JimmyHoffa

13 hours ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Did all the big time actors say they didn’t want to be part of this?  Presenters seem like a randomlist of “not movie stars.”

ok, so on this subject - the wife is in fashion pr, which means she deals with stylists and brands and award season is the craziest 2 months of her year, by far.

so basically all day every day, stylists ask them to pull certain pieces of clothing for their clients.  and stylists, like agents or attorneys or whomever, rep big people and not as big people.  so there's often a "give and take" when it comes to pleasing them.  "well, we needed to lend to gabrielle union or that 'one girl from that new show' because her stylist also reps amy adams and emily blunt."  this shit happens all the time, this is my life.  and it's not always for the awards shows - there are a bunch of parties and the red carpets there are often a bigger deal.

all that said, last week, she was like, "i kept going back and forth with this stylist, and she keeps pushing people we don't want to lend to."  one of which was krysten ritter.  she said, "yeah, she needs something for krysten ritter, she's presenting at the oscars."  my reaction was like, "ok, maybe she's going to one of those parties, but i don't see any situation where krysten ritter is presenting at the fucking oscars - this stylist is full of shit.  she's not a big actor, she's not super relevant, she's not in any movies, she's on tv but not on abc, and her show just got cancelled.  i insisted.  i was positive that even though maybe she would be going to the oscars, she would not be presenting."

lo and behold, in a sea of other similarly irrelevant people - there she was - presenting at the oscars.  i have a question - what the fuck.

i get that they tried to get a ton of lower down people exposure by having them present (although there seemed to be a concentration on diversity, and ritter is super white), but man, there was not only a total lack of star power in the audience, but on the presenter's list.  and doubling up last year's winners seems pretty demeaning.  i pay attention to this shit, and there were several people i had barely heard of.

weird show all around.

3 hours ago, futureman said:

Racially-tinged movies are only acceptable to the activists if they portray minorities as victims overcoming their opressors and nothing more.

9 hours ago, WBT said:

I love Olivia Colman but I thought she and Emma Stone should have been in the opposite categories

Maybe so, but her acceptance speech was awesome.  Genuine and funny as hell.  Probably my favourite moment of the night.

9 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

The context and coincidence is wild.  First, he tried to leave but wasn't allowed so eventually went back to his seat.  He was pissed because he obviously thought he should win but the winner, The Green Book, has been compared to Driving Miss Daisy, which infamously beat out Spike's Do The Right Thing.

Spike Lee is an effing bitch.  I was nauseated that he won adapted screenplay and thrilled he didn't win either director or best picture.

And his movies mostly suck.

11 hours ago, TexasMan said:

It was good, and utterly forgettable. 

Could not disagree more.  Spotlight was a terrific movie that, as HG pointed out, handled a difficult topic very well.

ok, so i saw all the spike lee drama, specifically his quote about whenever he loses, it's about someone driving someone around (insinuating that he previously lost to driving miss daisy).  i just assumed he was historically accurate with that tidbit, but just looked it up anyway.

miss daisy won best picture in 1989, beating out 4 other nominees, none of which were "do the right thing".  spike also lost best original screenplay in 1989, losing to dead poets society.  driving miss daisy's script won best adapted screenplay.  still wondering when they went head to head and he lost.  maybe the globes, but i'm too lazy to look that shit up.

22 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

spike lee was dressed like a clown. then he acted like a clown. watching him bitterly guzzle down champagne at the press conference with his do the right thing knuckle rings was funny to me. talk about resting on your past laurels. come on, man.

I cannot comment on whether he was snubbed as I have not seen his movie, but he acted like a drug addled ass every time he got on screen.

Also, had no idea it was Carmine Lupertazzi who was the driver in real life.

Edited by Johnny Sack

4 minutes ago, Red Five said:

When I think of the biggest Hollywood Stars, I think Leo, Hanks, Clooney, J-Law, Gosling, Pitt, Cruise, Denzel, Damon, Harrison Ford..... none of whom were there. Just weird.

add robert downey jr, will smith, the rock, margot robbie, mcconaughey, (was steve carrell even there?  he had a busy year), sandra bullock, angelina jolie, johnny depp, ryan reynolds, mark wahlberg, meryl streep, matt damon, ben affleck...

outside of nominees like cooper and bale - i think the biggest stars there were daniel craig and julia roberts.

even the red carpet stuff (which i was forced to watch hours of) was pretty quiet and awkward.

1 hour ago, JimmyHoffa said:

Well if you haven't seen it or understand why people have a problem with it winning then do a little research before making a post that makes no sense. 

People have a problem with it because it's (as been mentioned before) Driving Miss Daisy 2.0.

Here read this to understand why people have a problem with it-

Why Do the Oscars Keep Falling for Racial Reconciliation Fantasies?

In many Oscar bait movies, interracial friendships come with a paycheck, and follow the white character’s journey to enlightenment.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/23/arts/green-book-interracial-friendship.html

🙄 you’ve convinced me - all the criticism is race based and no one thought it was just an average film

1 hour ago, hayden_horn said:

spike lee was dressed like a clown. then he acted like a clown. watching him bitterly guzzle down champagne at the press conference with his do the right thing knuckle rings was funny to me. talk about resting on your past laurels. come on, man.

Dude is a runt.