Covington Catholic - MAGA DC Incident

Hank Kingsley

12 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Also, while I see that Wood is representing a QAnon'er, I don't see anything reliable that indicates that he is a QAnon'er.

Nothing reliable, but he posts the #WWGIWGA hashtag associated with QAnon all the time 

And as you said, he represents the nutjob Congressional candidate from Georgia who supports/promotes QAnon. 

Edited by Hank Kingsley
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

Unless you're an entitled white boy (See: Brett Kavanaugh).

Nothing about this really matters to anyone in the grand scheme of things, but it's annoying that this kid is going to end up getting, just out of nuisance value settlements, a shitload more money than any of the thousands (if not tens of thousands) of people who have been illegally assaulted by law enforcement over the past few months.It won't seem like much money to Junior Johnny Sack, but it might as well be an infinite amount to millions of Americans who are currently being evicted because they can't pay rent because there's a pandemic on. It's just a rounding error to WaPo's insurer, literally insignificant to Jeff Bezos, and merely a totem to some dipshit trust fund kid and the conservative media of a victory in the culture war against the evil libs. Meanwhile thousands die and millions starve. America is fucking great.

I’m not sure how this case has anything to do with society as a whole.

The kid was defamed by multiple large corporations in about as public a way as you can in this day and age. They fucked up and are having to pay for it. Little guy fighting back. 

• Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

I’m not sure how this case has anything to do with society as a whole.

The kid was defamed by multiple large corporations in about as public a way as you can in this day and age. They fucked up and are having to pay for it. Little guy fighting back. 

Post one example of a defamatory publication of this little dipshit by a large corporation. Just one.

4 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

Post one example of a defamatory publication of this little dipshit by a large corporation. Just one.

You’re gonna be waiting awhile. At least 2 weeks.

Maybe instead he will post another shitty looking overpriced meal he ate while out and about.

2 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Whatever. This snot nosed entitled shitshrub is just another Trump Era grifter.

Throw him on the pile with Jacob Wohl and Charlie Kirk and Candace Owens.

Victim grift is the best grift. Just ask any Republican.

Lots of anger on this thread toward someone who was a kid when a professional instigator lied about a big scary middle class white kid harassing him while he played a trance drum solo and the kid just sort of smugly stared at him while his pudgy weirdo peers laughed at their buddy having gotten caught in a jackpot. 

This should have been just some funny story and memory the kids got from a school field trip instead the news media blew it out of proportion, in a climate when that kind of thing was a powder keg.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 7/27/2020 at 10:24 PM, Rougarou said:

Lots of anger on this thread toward someone who was a kid when a professional instigator lied about a big scary middle class white kid harassing him while he played a trance drum solo and the kid just sort of smugly stared at him while his pudgy weirdo peers laughed at their buddy having gotten caught in a jackpot. 

This should have been just some funny story and memory the kids got from a school field trip instead the news media blew it out of proportion, in a climate when that kind of thing was a powder keg.

On 7/28/2020 at 12:28 AM, MaybeACoordinator said:

If I ran a newsroom and my employees were piling on on Twitter before all the facts were out, they would be suspended on first offense and fired on the next. I don't care how sympathetic or unsympathetic the players in any of these cases. 

I think I have to agree. The picture was published and most ran with the way it appeared rather than what actually happened. It's the job of journalists to provide the actual story.

The picture suggests a smug, entitled white boy confronting and dismissing the history of Native America. 

What actually happened was something of a confused crossroads of Idiot World and high emotions. The shouting black men, the Indian drummer walking up to face off with the rowdy school boys who, as I recall, had all just got MAGA hats as something of a lark.

Sandmann holds his ground with a smug grin and hits the jackpot because someone was there to snap the photo, and Idiot World made what they could out of it. Outrage at the disrespect to the Native American. Delight in someone staring down the tiresome Native American demonstrator. Total ignorance of any context. Yay America!

I don't know what I would have done in Sandmann's place. It's quite possible that I, a person not easily intimidated at that age due to my size, would have done the same thing. All my friends around would have likely encouraged me to do so. 

After the photo is published and misinterpreted, would I have listened to lawyers telling me there was money to be made? Likely so. I must be honest; easy money always has its appeal and the Washington Post won't miss it. I'm no paragon.

Would I self-hero-ize and snuggle up to MAGA? I can't see that. I'm vain, but not that vain. Even as a teenager, I think I would have avoided the indelible slime of Trump Jr. or the insanity of Q. I don't tweet now and doubt that I would have been moved to do so as Sandmann does.

I guess the whole thing is sort of depressing in what it says about everyone involved. The kids look shitty, the Indian looks shitty, the black guys look shitty, and a great newspaper comes out shitty looking. As mentioned above, it's mostly in the name of instant ballyhoo. The photo is everything. What follows is just a mess.

A long muse, my friends.

• Hook 'Em 4

28 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

I think I have to agree. The picture was published and most ran with the way it appeared rather than what actually happened. It's the job of journalists to provide the actual story.

The picture suggests a smug, entitled white boy confronting and dismissing the history of Native America. 

What actually happened was something of a confused crossroads of Idiot World and high emotions. The shouting black men, the Indian drummer walking up to face off with the rowdy school boys who, as I recall, had all just got MAGA hats as something of a lark.

Sandmann holds his ground with a smug grin and hits the jackpot because someone was there to snap the photo, and Idiot World made what they could out of it. Outrage at the disrespect to the Native American. Delight in someone staring down the tiresome Native American demonstrator. Total ignorance of any context. Yay America!

I don't know what I would have done in Sandmann's place. It's quite possible that I, a person not easily intimidated at that age due to my size, would have done the same thing. All my friends around would have likely encouraged me to do so. 

After the photo is published and misinterpreted, would I have listened to lawyers telling me there was money to be made? Likely so. I must be honest; easy money always has its appeal and the Washington Post won't miss it. I'm no paragon.

Would I self-hero-ize and snuggle up to MAGA? I can't see that. I'm vain, but not that vain. Even as a teenager, I think I would have avoided the indelible slime of Trump Jr. or the insanity of Q. I don't tweet now and doubt that I would have been moved to do so as Sandmann does.

I guess the whole thing is sort of depressing in what it says about everyone involved. The kids look shitty, the Indian looks shitty, the black guys look shitty, and a great newspaper comes out shitty looking. As mentioned above, it's mostly in the name of instant ballyhoo. The photo is everything. What follows is just a mess.

A long muse, my friends.

Nice points.

The repeal of Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act looks better and better to me every day.

People really need to slow their roll on "soundbites."

A long muse, my friends.
There was also the tomahawk chop and mock war chant. You may have meant to include that in the kids looking shitty but those boys were definitely not the victims they make themselves out to be.

1 hour ago, RomaVicta said:

The picture suggests a smug, entitled white boy confronting and dismissing the history of Native America

I agree with a lot of your post and think it actually is representative of what politics, in general, and this board (cloak room), in particular,  have devolved into.  Even in your criticism of the media you still make a point to say that the picture of the boy suggests he is "entitled".  How?  Based on what?  The fact he is white?  Maga hat?  We have been told, repeatedly, that maga folks are dumb white trash.  He is wearing a $10 down jacket and has a bad haircut.  What, at all, suggests he is entitled by his picture?

And it is not just you but many on here:

On 7/27/2020 at 10:16 AM, wildcat09 said:

It's not a "stretch," it's just a general frustration that the rich and powerful keep becoming richer and more powerful, and even when so many regular people are facing so much real pain we've still got entitled little shitsons of the most privileged finding ways to enrich themselves off of meaningless culture war bullshit that is dredged up to distract everyone from anything that matters.

On 7/27/2020 at 11:12 AM, lemonlime said:

Because he's a spoiled, rich, privileged white guy

On 7/27/2020 at 1:52 PM, lemonlime said:

Rich, entitled white guy who’s a prick to other people.

On 7/27/2020 at 3:53 PM, Bama Chick said:

This snot nosed entitled shitshrub is just another Trump Era grifter.

These are, presumably, grown people that are lashing out at a 16 or so year old kid with absolutely no basis in fact.  I would say shame on them but these people have no shame.  I certainly get it that 95% of the people on here are against this kids political leanings (as much as an 16 year old has actual informed political beliefs).  But he was just a random kid that did nothing wrong and nothing that is not absolute common behavior for teen boys.  If anything, he was pretty darn restrained.  But why "entitled, spoiled and rich"? 

I was curious so I did a little googling.  Ted Sandmann, father, is a sales manager at a specialty truck body manufacturing plant.  Not exactly a hedge fund manager.  The median household income for the country is about $62,000.  Median household income for his community in Park Hills, Kentucky is $53,000.  He attends a private catholic school (which no one knew based on his picture) which has low tuition and provides scholarships and tuition assistance to any catholic kid in the area.

2 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

After the photo is published and misinterpreted, would I have listened to lawyers telling me there was money to be made? Likely so. I must be honest; easy money always has its appeal and the Washington Post won't miss it. I'm no parago

Of course you would as would almost everyone on here.  You would do it for he money and for the damage done.  As everyone here knows, anytime you apply for college or for a job or almost anything, the people looking are going to search your name.  The things being said about this kid were horrible.  There should be zero question that his future would have been harmed considerably if the attacks against him went unchallenged.  

Of course you, personally, would not snuggle up to maga.  But that is just because of your beliefs.  If FOX or OAN would have been the ones that were sued and AOC or Biden or Michelle Obama reached out to you, especially at 16, I have no doubt that you would have easily been swept up in the hype.  Anyone would.  Thats just human nature.  

I guess the whole thing is sort of depressing in what it says about everyone involved. The kids look shitty, the Indian looks shitty, the black guys look shitty, and a great newspaper comes out shitty looking.

Lastly, I really do not see how the kids look shitty.  They look exactly like kids have looked since forever.  And as for the "great " newspaper, I might say a formerly great newspaper. The number of corrections and retractions have increased exponentially in the last 10 years.  And not just the Post.  All media.  

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, sheeeit said:

I agree with a lot of your post and think it actually is representative of what politics, in general, and this board (cloak room), in particular,  have devolved into.  Even in your criticism of the media you still make a point to say that the picture of the boy suggests he is "entitled".  How?  Based on what?  The fact he is white?  Maga hat?  We have been told, repeatedly, that maga folks are dumb white trash.  He is wearing a $10 down jacket and has a bad haircut.  What, at all, suggests he is entitled by his picture?

And it is not just you but many on here:

These are, presumably, grown people that are lashing out at a 16 or so year old kid with absolutely no basis in fact.  I would say shame on them but these people have no shame.  I certainly get it that 95% of the people on here are against this kids political leanings (as much as an 16 year old has actual informed political beliefs).  But he was just a random kid that did nothing wrong and nothing that is not absolute common behavior for teen boys.  If anything, he was pretty darn restrained.  But why "entitled, spoiled and rich"? 

I was curious so I did a little googling.  Ted Sandmann, father, is a sales manager at a specialty truck body manufacturing plant.  Not exactly a hedge fund manager.  The median household income for the country is about $62,000.  Median household income for his community in Park Hills, Kentucky is $53,000.  He attends a private catholic school (which no one knew based on his picture) which has low tuition and provides scholarships and tuition assistance to any catholic kid in the area.

Of course you would as would almost everyone on here.  You would do it for he money and for the damage done.  As everyone here knows, anytime you apply for college or for a job or almost anything, the people looking are going to search your name.  The things being said about this kid were horrible.  There should be zero question that his future would have been harmed considerably if the attacks against him went unchallenged.  

Of course you, personally, would not snuggle up to maga.  But that is just because of your beliefs.  If FOX or OAN would have been the ones that were sued and AOC or Biden or Michelle Obama reached out to you, especially at 16, I have no doubt that you would have easily been swept up in the hype.  Anyone would.  Thats just human nature.  

Lastly, I really do not see how the kids look shitty.  They look exactly like kids have looked since forever.  And as for the "great " newspaper, I might say a formerly great newspaper. The number of corrections and retractions have increased exponentially in the last 10 years.  And not just the Post.  All media.  

Are you this kids spokesman or something paid by his law firm? I stopped reading after small private school with “low tuition” and “ scholarships” after citing the median county earnings. Like any of that matters. You’re a disingenuous fraud as always. 

On 7/28/2020 at 12:28 AM, MaybeACoordinator said:

If I ran a newsroom and my employees were piling on on Twitter before all the facts were out, they would be suspended on first offense and fired on the next. I don't care how sympathetic or unsympathetic the players in any of these cases. 

tumblr_nd9f1my5g71tyz282o1_500.png

On 7/27/2020 at 10:24 PM, Rougarou said:

Well, that Native American dude was pretty funny. 

• Hook 'Em 1

If Sandmann backed away from the limelight and preferred to live a private life afterwards, I would have some respect for him and feel bad that he got caught up in that situation. 

Instead he's suing 8 media outlets, cozying up to the Trump family and far right media figures, and trying to make a name for himself in the ultra conservative world. He's a Trumpkin shitbag. Fuck him. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

If Sandmann backed away from the limelight and preferred to live a private life afterwards, I would have some respect for him and feel bad that he got caught up in that situation. 

Instead he's suing 8 media outlets, cozying up to the Trump family and far right media figures, and trying to make a name for himself in the ultra conservative world. He's a Trumpkin shitbag. Fuck him. 

Agree.  The kid's a shit stain. 

4 hours ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Hey, that’s Hollywood, baby.

• Fuck You 1

4 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

He’s 18 not a kid.

He’s playing this up and cozying up to shitbags for more publicity.

Guarantee you he shows up to “speak his truth” at campaign events and horrid events like CPAC.

He’s fair game.

Agree he’s 18 and fair game now, but a lot of folks were using past tense language and retro-bullying the kid for what happened when he was 16.

Also it’s interesting you belittle or otherwise segment “speak his truth” in air quotes as if he doesn’t have a perspective or experience because he doesn’t fit your model of what a victim looks like, largely based on his response to the whole thing. I guess we only make excuses for why people do or don’t do things after their events and compartmentalize the event and the person’s history and actions afterward, if it’s someone we have an affinity for or whose truth helps our narrative?

But sure he’s fair game, I don’t think anyone really cares anymore as it’s roundly understood that certain factions within media, social media warriors and all the would be shamers are holding the L on this one.

• Fuck You 1

4 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

He’s 18 not a kid.

Guarantee you he shows up to “speak his truth” at campaign events and horrid events like CPAC.

He’s fair game.

This. He’s an adult now. Do not use the “he’s a kid” bit again.  If he wants to seek the media spotlight, he has to brave the consequences.  He could have taken this settlement, made no announcement for himself or the Wapo, and minimized the media.  He chose not to. He’s fair game like any other public figure now, for better or worse.

Edited by Bateshorn

• 3 weeks later...
He’s 18 not a kid.

He’s fair game.

Oh wow. Look at that. I was right.

Fuck that pencil necked smug ass twat.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Still think he’s just some kid who got caught up in a mess?
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Still think he’s just some kid who got caught up in a mess?

Sure. I think he was a weirdo kid a couple of years ago and that event and the subsequent attention and grooming has led to where he now has a platform and minor celebrity to 30% of America. Weird. Sad.

Without dumb media victimizing the kid back then, he’s probably just another dummy getting corona virus from a red solo cup at Vanderbilt or something instead of having some weirdo cult following, from both sides, one that hates him and one that loves him.

Edited by Rougarou
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

Sure. I think he was a weirdo kid a couple of years ago and that event and the subsequent attention and grooming has led to where he now has a platform and minor celebrity to 30% of America. Weird. Sad.

Without dumb media victimizing the kid back then, he’s probably just another dummy getting corona virus from a red solo cup at Vanderbilt or something instead of having some weirdo cult following, from both sides, one that hates him and one that loves him.

Yep. All the superficial elements were in play here: smug white boy with a MAGA hat and an Indian (feather, not dot). 

The Indian was the piece of shit, but whoa, can't say that now can we?  Aggrieved indigenous peoples are given pretty much a free pass.

And I hate Trump. Vote him out. 

Speaking of orgs that don't let pandering sexual offenders into their agenda, what time does Bill Clinton speak at the DNC ?  You know Bill Clinton the guy who probably raped at least one women,  sexually assaulted a few others, went to pedo island multiple times with J. Epstein, had numerous affairs, one with a staffer in the oral office.  

Good thing the DNC has its shit together, and values women rights, and doesn't let people who abuse women on the podium to speak... Yep the great, and non-hypocritical DNC....

Yeah that kid (18 might be legally adult, but I think we all know they're HS dumb asses, just ask Kamala) is such a piece of shit.....  

Carry on with the hypocrisy...

Edited by Onboard 2.0

The fact he’s speaking at the convention also ads fuel to my theory that he took a low ball standing offer from the Post to get his name in the headlines.  I would assume all the litigants have some minimal standing offer to him to make this go away in order to cap nuisance legal fees.

14 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Yeah that kid (18 might be legally adult, but I think we all know they're HS dumb asses, just ask Kamala) is such a piece of shit..... 

They are; Harris is not wrong about that. Did he sit down with Mom and Dad to discuss this? Anecdotally, one of my children was in a position to be trotted out as an ambassador of sorts for positive PR and we had quite the talk about whether this was a good thing and in accordance with her life goals and objectives (sorry for the stuffy sounding terms, it's just easier to explain it that way). It is really really tempting and attention can be overwhelming for good or bad and the advice one gets from outsiders is not always in the young person's best long-term interest. Sometimes one just has to say 'no thank you.' That 'no' is a difficult thing when the pressure is high and a young person wants to be liked. Bamachick said he would return and he did. I don't know if that makes him a piece of shit, but I do believe he made a poor decision to accept the offer to speak.

My two cents.

27 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

They are; Harris is not wrong about that. Did he sit down with Mom and Dad to discuss this? Anecdotally, one of my children was in a position to be trotted out as an ambassador of sorts for positive PR and we had quite the talk about whether this was a good thing and in accordance with her life goals and objectives (sorry for the stuffy sounding terms, it's just easier to explain it that way). It is really really tempting and attention can be overwhelming for good or bad and the advice one gets from outsiders is not always in the young person's best long-term interest. Sometimes one just has to say 'no thank you.' That 'no' is a difficult thing when the pressure is high and a young person wants to be liked. Bamachick said he would return and he did. I don't know if that makes him a piece of shit, but I do believe he made a poor decision to accept the offer to speak.

My two cents.

Thanks,  Yeah, not sure what I think about his decision, but the fact he's even involved in politics is encouraging. I know it's the wrong party for many, but too bad.  

The daughter has always been involved politically, which was always something I liked about her choices in life. She's conservative. The son in the Air Force is much more libertarian in his beliefs. Both chose their own political paths, and we as parents allowed that self development (me much more than their mom actually).

I'm not sure right now what's wrong with his speaking, but I'm sure it'll be spelled out for me.

16 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I'm not sure right now what's wrong with his speaking, but I'm sure it'll be spelled out for me.

Right or wrong, it's going to be used and manipulated and I suppose that is his choice to make. If I were in a generous mood, I would posit it as an opportunity to discuss how many of the agents in this episode in DC made poor decisions:  from the various protestors to the teenagers to the adults that were 'chaperoning' to the press who covered it. An opportunity to provide how doing something offensive as part of a group can escalate out of individual control and then get mixed up and distorted in a variety of ways (that is a bipartisan issue) and that none of it ever comes to anything good. That sometimes walking away (from friends or agitators) is the choice that is the hardest but is the saner option in the long run. But, color me skeptical if that type of a speech would ever happen.

Edited by Mrs Whiggins
Edit

1 hour ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

My two cents.

This raises an interesting legal point, kinda.  Minors cannot sue except through their parents or guardians.  And, indeed, this case was technically filed by and through Sandmann's parents.

Most states provide for appointment of a guardian ad litem to represent the minor's interests, even as against his parents.  Federal courts don't have such a procedure, but will often adopt those procedures of the state in which it sits.  Ostensibly, then, the filing of the case at least was extensively discussed among Sandmann, his parents, and the lawyers because that could come up as a legal issue.  So, Sandmann's minority status is/has been kind of a lurking issue in this lawsuit.

Now that he's 18, I suppose the settlement authority was his alone as is the decision to become a right-wing shill.  Also, the timing of the settlement with his 18th birthday may be significant.

I don't see this, personally, as a "right/left" issue.  To me, it's more of a quick, shoddy journalism problem that is largely driven by social media and the need to beat the amateurs to the scoop.  It appears, though, that defamation law is more or less adapted to excuse this sort of thing as long as it isn't done maliciously.