Covington Catholic - MAGA DC Incident

Hank Kingsley

5 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

I don’t know about y’all, but if it’s my kid in this situation, I would pull every available resource I had to counter this firestorm since the kid’s entire future is at stake. In my opinion, there are no heroes here. What I do know are teenage boys and how dumb they/I’ve acted. No matter if my kid was in the worst of the bunch as an insensitive jerk instigator or was a saint and completely blameless, I would have contacted a PR firm to help deal with the cultural war has erupted. If you wouldn’t for your kid d you’re lying 

You are a wonder, dude.

My kid would be on every talk show available to apogize to the old man, to the girls they embarrassed themselves in front of and for taking the bait of that crazy cult. That is a lesson that will stick the rest of their lives. And I promise you, both are nearly 40 but they will tell you that is exactly what would have happened and worse.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Atx71 said:

You are a wonder, dude.

My kid would be on every talk show available to apogize to the old man, to the girls they embarrassed themselves in front of and for taking the bait of that crazy cult. That is a lesson that will stick the rest of their lives. And I promise you, both are nearly 40 but they will tell you that is exactly what would have happened and worse.

That would be my gut reaction too. However, your kids and I grew up in a more sane time than now. With social media and the lasting negative effects for their future and how terribly polarized things are it’s not a slam dunk answer that they should tuck their tails between their legs. Say the kid was on the saint side of the equation, a mea culpa tour would impugn their character and confirm their culpability in the arena of public opinion even though hypothetically they’re innocent. You wouldn’t fight that? It says something that the paid pros advocated for the course of action they are which has mostly been effective hasn’t it? There are no heroes here. The kids looked like assholes. Fuck Twitter and social media. It’s destroying this country.

Edited by Iconoclast Texan

1 hour ago, SDG said:

good discussion.

Joe Rogan is so fucking stupid.

Who would have thought that "Make America Great Again" would mean something nefarious, Joe?? I mean, aside from anyone with any sense of history (i.e., not Joe Rogan or his acolytes). Anyone who knows American history knows what "Make America Great Again" means, you steroid-using, meat-headed clown.

Then Bari Weiss, an absolute shit writer whose latest piece is the laziest shit you could possibly imagine, bemoaning how others get paid for their opinions.

And that's within the first minute.

Then minute two she gives her initial reaction (all-white group of smug, smirking pricks) and dismisses it, even though her initial reaction (as described by her) WAS SHOWN TO BE 100% FUCKING CORRECT.

Christ almighty.

What an absolute shitshow these two idiots put on.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Anyone who knows American history knows what "Make America Great Again" means, you steroid-using, meat-headed clown.

Why would those same words be used by other politicians in campaign speeches? Like Clinton or Reagan?

edit: Cajun beat me to it. 

Edited by Telegraph_it

1 minute ago, Telegraph_it said:

Why would those same words be used by other politicians in campaign speeches? Like Clinton or Reagan? 

The swastika was used in India as a sign of luck for thousands of years before Hitler appropriated for evil.

Just now, DixonHur said:

The swastika was used in India as a sign of luck for thousands of years before Hitler appropriated for evil.

Right. The saying can be appropriated for evil just like the swastika was  

That was not what was said though.  Anyone who knows what America’s history is knows what the slogan means. So the slogan was always racist? Must be news to Clinton or Reagan. 

10 minutes ago, Telegraph_it said:

Right. The saying can be appropriated for evil just like the swastika was  

That was not what was said though.  Anyone who knows what America’s history is knows what the slogan means. So the slogan was always racist? Must be news to Clinton or Reagan. 

I'm not sure I see the difference between an insignia and a phrase in this context.

I'm missing your point.

Edited by DixonHur

Haven't read the entire thread, so sorry if already covered:

Two things:

1) Is this religious school exempt from paying taxes? If so, and they are sending their students to political rallies, that status needs to yanked. How long have they been doing this? Sounds like maybe they owe back taxes.

2) Its very unfortunate this hippie Indian guy stepped in. He should have let the Black Israelites and the Maga dipshits go at it in a giant free for all. Now matter who loses that brawl, we all win.

Impressive he had time to weigh in on this, given his other responsibilities 

“I need to say a few words about something that took place this past weekend. Last week, Kentuckians of all ages traveled to our nation’s capital to exercise our fundamental American rights – to peacefully assemble and petition the government. Unfortunately for the students of Covington Catholic High School, their participation has resulted in threats on their lives.

“Far-left activists and members of the national and state media isolated a few seconds of video footage from any shred of context, and many decided it was time to attack and denigrate these young people. Because of what some highly partisan observers thought they saw in a few seconds of confusing video, these kids, their school, and their families were met with a deluge of partisan vitriol and hatred from people who never met them and had no idea what had taken place.

“Some prominent figures even used this pile-on to propose curtailing the First Amendment for groups with whom they disagreed, even targeting the students’ hats. How quickly some seem to forget why the Framers insisted on those protections in the first place.

“In a matter of hours, these students were tried, convicted, and sentenced by the media where accuracy is irrelevant and the presumption of innocence does not exist. To their credit, some apologized for their commentary upon learning more. But by that point, too much damage had already been done.

“Because of the startling death threats against the students and their families, Covington Catholic was closed yesterday. The school’s administration is working closely with law enforcement, but it’s unclear when any sense of normalcy might return.

“This time, it’s families in my home state who are paying the price for exercising their freedoms. Sadly, this kind of fact-free rush to judgement is becoming an all-too-common occurrence.

“If we can learn anything from this weekend, I hope it’s this: When the rush for headlines takes precedence over the facts, mistakes are made and our rights as Americans are put at risk. This trend is particularly troubling when young people are involved.”

I saw a report on FoxNews.com that Phillips, while a Vietnam era Marine Corps veteran, never actually deployed, so the descriptor of “Vietnam Veteran” isn’t true.  I have no idea how that entered the story, probably just lazy journalism, but it’s one more case where the rush to report fast got facts wrong in such a way to increase the intensity of the situation. This is of course assuming the Fox report is true which isn’t guaranteed.

Marine Corps veteran vs. Vietnam veteran is a minor difference, but it’s just a little extra spice to help us lose our minds. Weren’t there reports of him getting spit on when he returned from Vietnam? I’ll have to dig up who said that (reporter summarizing vs Phillips’ own words) as well as what was actually said.

1 minute ago, Mole said:

I saw a report on FoxNews.com that Phillips, while a Vietnam era Marine Corps veteran, never actually deployed, so the descriptor of “Vietnam Veteran” isn’t true.  I have no idea how that entered the story, probably just lazy journalism, but it’s one more case where the rush to report fast got facts wrong in such a way to increase the intensity of the situation. This is of course assuming the Fox report is true which isn’t guaranteed.

Marine Corps veteran vs. Vietnam veteran is a minor difference, but it’s just a little extra spice to help us lose our minds. Weren’t there reports of him getting spit on when he returned from Vietnam? I’ll have to dig up who said that (reporter summarizing vs Phillips’ own words) as well as what was actually said.

Cool

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2019/01/23/nathan-phillips-man-standoff-with-covington-teens-faces-scrutiny-his-military-past/?utm_term=.f850729fa864

So he’s been pretty clear about his record but an advocacy group he’s associated with was either lazy or tells little lies to beef up their credibility. It’s the little things that make for a perfect story and vehicle for our rage.

2 hours ago, Mole said:

The media isn’t given time to check all facts because the reporter has 5 stories to write today along with 10 tweets to promote the online conversation.  It’s the economics of the free news websites.  There is no time to validate facts.  When a newsroom cuts 20% of its staff but still produces the same output, quality will go down.

8 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Haven't read the entire thread, so sorry if already covered:

Two things:

1) Is this religious school exempt from paying taxes? If so, and they are sending their students to political rallies, that status needs to yanked. How long have they been doing this? Sounds like maybe they owe back taxes.

2) Its very unfortunate this hippie Indian guy stepped in. He should have let the Black Israelites and the Maga dipshits go at it in a giant free for all. Now matter who loses that brawl, we all win.

Are you willing to extend this to all non-profits (501c’s) or just the ones you disagree with?  

16 hours ago, Mole said:

Due to the list of grievances that is Trumpism, his message clearly resonates with racists, but it appeals to certain non racists as well (see the Obama/Trump voter). Boiling it down to simply racism misses the breadth of tribalism at its heart. If you see it as simply racists vs non racists you’re getting only a partial picture.

This is a good point but when you are the populace being targeted, does the rest of the message matter?

"Oh, he wants less regulation and an america first manufacturing economy but thinks you're dog shit. Why do you got to focus on the dog shit part?! Why can't you just focus on the good economy?! Don't you care about america?!"  Just rings kind of hollow and Un-American IMO. 

I've been to Spurs playoff games where fans had their faces painted black.

Shit, some of 'em were sitting right behind the players, talking to them at shoot around, laughing, smiling.  Of course, they gave the opposing players shit during freethrows and inbounds passes.

Thank God I came here otherwise I would never have known they were flaming racists.

2 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Shit, some of 'em were sitting right behind the players, talking to them at shoot around, laughing, smiling.  Of course, they gave the opposing players shit during freethrows and inbounds passes.

Thank God I came here otherwise I would never have known they were flaming racists.

Good point, I'd forgotten how the Spurs players and fans are 99% white and how their opponents are all black and have 99% black fans. 

2 minutes ago, Cajun said:

So dumbassery is not just limited to OU and Kentucky. Good info. 

48 minutes ago, SDG said:

Are you willing to extend this to all non-profits (501c’s) or just the ones you disagree with?  

I'd settle for nonprofits of both sides who don't pay taxes not engaging in political advocacy. Is that not the law, or am I incorrect?

Any comment on the black face at the basketball rallies?

1 minute ago, Cajun said:

Just dumbassery?

Not racists?

Man, so hard to keep this all straight.  I'll make a note.

Sorry....I left off Louisiana.  Being that it is a given, I forget sometimes.  And either term works. As they say..... best thing you happy.

6 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

I'd settle for nonprofits of both sides who don't pay taxes not engaging in political advocacy. Is that not the law, or am I incorrect?

Any comment on the black face at the basketball rallies?

I’ll only bring up planned parenthood because that’s the reason these kids were in DC.  

I agree with you that all nonprofits should stay out of politics or pay thier fair share but I don’t think it’s gonna happen. 

4 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Good point, I'd forgotten how the Spurs players and fans are 99% white and how their opponents are all black and have 99% black fans. 

Ah, that's the secret sauce.

90% Hispanic Spurs fans, 92% black players, 100% Lakers bandwagoners just doesn't cut it.

It's a percentage thing!  I got it.

giphy.mp4

2 minutes ago, Atx71 said:

Sorry....I left off Louisiana.  Being that it is a given, I forget sometimes.  And either term works. As they say..... best thing you happy.

Well, I'm from San Antonio.

So, you know, us pinche pendejos throw our bad looks at Loisi fuckin' ana.

You know cabron?

I don't care about the blackout paint. The white eyes and face are a very Sambo, but I think their intention was to participate in "blackout" (hence the shirts and pants and such all around them) and they are both inartful and ignorant in execution (this is a common theme).

There is no need to find further backing evidence of this school's and community's complete failure to rear worthwhile sons than what we already have from the DC video. That insular community has churned out a horde of racist, sexist, ignorant clowns who do not know how to show respect to anyone that isn't in their narrow caste. Their own behavior damns them even without attempting to divine the purpose of a blackout painted kid with some Sambo lips and eyes.

The initial reaction of outrage and disgust was the correct one. These boys are who we thought they were and the community that produced them is what we thought it was. Entitled, ignorant rubes who have enough money to create a false reality inside the larger one, a false reality that immediately self-immolates once it contacts the larger world.

The larger takeaway isn't about the individuals, but the poison of bigotry and segregation (which this school and the thousands of other schools like it were founded in order to perpetuate as legal segregation died).

• Like 6

18 hours ago, David Dennison said:

White people have used racism to monopolize political power in America since its founding. That is undeniable. You seem to want to deny it and it's odd.

Who was president from 2009 to 2017?  What do the initials CBC represent in Washington D.C.?   If white people are using racism to monopolize political power in America they are doing a terrible job of it.

2 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

Who was president from 2009 to 2017?  What do the initials CBC represent in Washington D.C.?   If white people are using racism to monopolize political power in America they are doing a terrible job of it.

Canadian Broadcasting Corporation?.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Atx71 said:

You are a wonder, dude.

The first two apologies are debatable but not an outlandish option.  Explain to me though why in the fuck he has to apologize to a bunch of people who were hurling racial epithets at him?  That's a little like saying the woman was asking for it by wearing that leather miniskirt.

2 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

The first two apologies are debatable but not an outlandish option.  Explain to me though why in the fuck he has to apologize to a bunch of people who were hurling racial epithets at him?  That's a little like saying the woman was asking for it by wearing that leather miniskirt.

What? I said he was taught to know better than to respond to race/hate/religious BAITING. His apology is not them but me and to everyone else for not being smarter.