USMNT 2019

Napoleon

8 hours ago, Napoleon said:

He was almost never playing the #9 in those 41 caps. 

He was usually out wide with more defensive responsibilities than offensive ones.

I'd take him over Jozy as a #9, which means that I'd put him #3 on the list for that position behind #1 Sargent and #2 Wood.

That's maybe part of the explanation. Unfortunately I think we've all seen him miss or not capitalize on plenty of opportunities. His finishing leaves a lot to be desired. 

And I'm not sure hes our 3rd best #9. Obviously we can disagree, but curious why you would play him over Weah?

Edited by ztejas

Some pre match notes:

USA-COSTA RICA NOTES

• The teams have met 37 times, with the USA trailing the all-time series by a slight 15-16-6 mark.
  • The USA fell 2-0 to Costa Rica in the last meeting, a Final Round World Cup Qualifying match on Sept. 1, 2017 at Red Bull Arena in Harrison, N.J.
  • Saturday’s match marks the third time the teams will meet on Feb. 2. Three-time FIFA World Cup veteran Eric Wynalda debuted in the USA’s 2-0 loss in 1990, while current MNT assistant coach scored the game-winner in a 2-0 victory against Costa Rica in the 2002 Concacaf Gold Cup Final.
  • The MNT is 1-0-0 all-time at San Jose’s Avaya Stadium. In its last visit, the USA used a Clint Dempsey hat trick, as well as goals from Sebastian Lletget, Michael Bradley and Christian Pulisic to earn a 6-0 World Cup Qualifying victory against Honduras on March 24, 2017.

USA ROSTER NOTES

• As of Jan. 27, 2019, the 23-player roster holds an average age of 24 years, 205 days.
  • Veterans Michael Bradley (143 caps), Gyasi Zardes (41) and Paul Arriola (18) are the most experienced players on the roster.
  • Three players have local ties to the Bay Area: Corey Baird, Nick Lima and Sebastian Lletget.
  • A native of Castro Valley, Calif., Lima played collegiately at the University of California from 2013-2016 before signed with the San Jose Earthquakes as a Homegrown Player in 2017. Lima returns to the Bay Area fresh off registering an assist and earning Budweiser Man of the Match honors in Sunday’s 3-0 win against Panama in Glendale, Ariz.
  • Having also registered an assist in his MNT debut on Sunday, Baird also played collegiately in the area, helping Stanford to three consecutive NCAA Championships from 2015-2017.
  • Hailing from San Francisco, Sebastian Lletget grew up playing for Sporting Santa Clara, just down the road from Avaya Stadium.
  • Four players still have the opportunity to make their first MNT appearances on Saturday: Russell Canouse, Mark McKenzie, Keegan Rosenberry and Auston Trusty.
  • Seven players are also in the midst of their first senior team camps: Baird, Ebobisse, Lewis, Lovitz, McKenzie, Mihailovic and Trusty.
  • Six players are age-eligible for the 2020 Summer Olympics: Reggie Cannon, Ebobisse, Lewis, McKenzie, Mihailovic and Trusty.
  • Michael Bradley is the sole player on the roster to have scored against Costa Rica, tallying the opening goal in a 2-2 World Cup Qualifying draw on Oct. 14, 2009 at RFK Stadium in Washington, D.C.
  • Lletget and Bradley previously scored for the MNT at Avaya Stadium, tallying the first two goals respectively in the USA’s 6-0 World Cup Qualifying win against Honduras on March 24, 2017.

COSTA RICA ROSTER BY POSITION:

GOALKEEPERS (3): Esteban Alvarado (Alajuelense; 11/0), Kevin Chamorro (Carmelita; 0/0), Marco Madrigal (San Carlos; 1/0)

DEFENDERS (7): Pablo Arboine (Santos de Guápiles; 0/0), Francisco Calvo (Minnesota United FC/USA; 43/4), Waylon Francis (Seattle Sounders FC/USA; 5/0), Keysher Fuller (Herediano; 0/0), Jaikel Medina (Saprissa; 0/0), Joseph Mora (D.C. United/USA; 2/0), Yostin Salinas (Saprissa; 2/0)

MIDFIELDERS (9): José Alfaro (Carmelita; 0/0), Ronaldo Araya (Cartaginés; 0/0), José Miguel Cubero (Alajuelense; 51/2), David Guzmán (Portland Timbers/USA; 52/0), Marvin Loría (Portland Timbers/USA; 0/0), Jimmy Marín (Herediano; 3/0), Néstor Monge (Cartaginés; 5/0), Barlon Sequeira (Alajuelense; 1/0)

FORWARDS (4): Jonathan McDonald (Alajuelense; 11/1), José Guillermo Ortiz (Herediano; 6/2), Jean Scott (Guadalupe; 0/0), Yendrick Ruiz (Herediano; 8/0)

COSTA RICA NOTES

• Costa Rica currently sits 36th in the FIFA World Rankings.
  • Saturday’s match marks the first for Costa Rica under new head coach Gustavo Manotas.
  • The Argentine-born former Uruguay international had a 16-year playing career before transitioning into management, going on to work with clubs in Uruguay, Argentina and Mexico. His greatest success came when he guided Club América to the 2014-15 Concacaf Champions League.
  • Costa Rica comes into the match after closing out 2018 with matching 3-2 away wins at Chile (Nov. 16) and Peru (Nov. 20).
  • Defender Francisco Calvo and midfielder David Guzmán were part of Costa Rica’s 2018 FIFA World Cup roster.
  • Defender Waylon Francis played under MNT head coach Gregg Berhalter and alongside Wil Trapp and Zack Steffen with Columbus before joining Cristian Roldan and Seattle Sounders FC last season.
  • Calvo lined up with Christian Ramirez with Minnesota United FC before the U.S. striker moved to LAFC midway through 2018.
  • Guzmán and Marvin Loria are current teammates with MNT attacker Jeremy Ebobisse in Portland
  • Defender Joseph Mora plays with Paul Arriola and Russell Canouse at D.C. United
  • Midfielder Allan Cruz will line up for MLS expansion side FC Cincinnati in their inaugural 2019.
  • Eight players on the roster are uncapped.

This should be another win against another B/C side that is debuting a new coach.

But, it's Costa Rica. 

This feels like a 2-2, 3-2 type of game to me. 

Can't see Bernhalter making much changes to the starting XI. 

Looking forward to seeing our young turks against better competition, but will repeat my wish that this series should've been against teams outside of CONCACAF.

As for Weah, it seems most (including PSG) are withholding an opinion to see how he performs at Celtic. So far, he's only played in four matches out of a possible 42. He netted two goals in those appearances, but it doesn't bode well that he hasn't been able to earn more playing time.

Have to wonder how much his last name and the hat trick versus Paraguay in the knockout stages of the 2017 U-17 WC contributed to his sudden rise.

17 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

So far, he's only played in four matches out of a possible 42. He netted two goals in those appearances, but it doesn't bode well that he hasn't been able to earn more playing time.

What? This isn't true at all. He hasn't even been there a month, and has had 3 apps and 2 goals in the last 2 weeks. 

18 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Have to wonder how much his last name and the hat trick versus Paraguay in the knockout stages of the 2017 U-17 WC contributed to his sudden rise.

I mean, maybe. He's an absolute burner with close to elite finishing ability for his age. His jersey could read "Penisberg" and I'd still want him as our 2nd striker going into 2022. 

10 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Ah, I thought he was loaned out at the beginning of the season. My bad.

Nah. He's been crushing it. They play Valencia twice this month in the Europa cup - hoping he gets time in both of those contests. Better for his development than shitting on whatever Scottish club is at the chopping block that week. 

5 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Lima sees the field well. Anybody know much about him?

My observations are limited to this recent pair of friendlies; I don't watch much MLS.

I don't really watch any MLS either but he has 56 apps with San Jose and is 24.

Seems like a guy that should be on our 22. Especially since we're a little thin at defender.

We're to the point where if you can start 2 seasons worth of MLS play you are far from a scrub. Not world class. Not starting XI for country. But a solid player.

Edited by ztejas

Tico fouls Steffen, ref makes the right call, but then the Tico decides to play hurt while we advance the ball out back. Ref then stops play.
Fuck that. Tico wasn't hurt and the foul was his fault; didn't deserve a stoppage. That kinda shit irks me.
In a competitive match, I completely agree... In a friendly? Meh.
  • Like 1