USMNT 2019

Napoleon

4 hours ago, ztejas said:

All 14 fans in attendance were riveted. As were the dozens more watching on TV.

You saw that, did you?

When they were on the left side of the pitch, it looked like one of those games where fans are banned due to racism of whatever.

3 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

didn't know that's where diskerud was playing now.

He’s “on loan from Manchester City”.

19 hours ago, Napoleon said:

It’s up to their clubs, it’s not up to US Soccer. It probably depends on whether there is something to play for in the last 2 weeks of May for Celtic or Bremen. 

Damn, I didn't even notice the dates. Bremen probably not and Celtic have pulled away this past month. 

Josh Sargent signs long-term extension with Werder Bremen

Werder Bremen has signed United States international striker Joshua Sargent to a long-term extension, the club announced on Tuesday.

Sargent, 19, has scored two goals in nine Bundesliga appearances since being called up from the under-23 side this season.

D0WGAvHWwAsj9Gx.jpg:large

"We're very pleased with Josh's development. His future belongs at Werder, so we're glad that we'll accompany him on his journey in the coming years," managing director Frank Baumann said in a statement.

The club said that the deal will be activated retrospectively from the beginning of this year.

"I'm feeling very honoured. The contract extension also shows the club's trust in me. I've felt at home from day one at Werder and in Bremen and I'm looking forward to the coming years," said Sargent.

Head coach Florian Kohfeldt expressed his eagerness to continue working with St. Louis native.

"If you see Josh in the dressing room, in training or on a matchday, you see someone who wants to watch and learn, not just a very talented young footballer," he said.

"I'm sure that Josh will become a very important part of the squad."

Contacted by ESPN FC, Sargent's agent Dan Segal hailed the club, saying: "From his first visit, Josh has felt at home at Werder Bremen. He saw a path to success there, and he is succeeding.

"We feel that through continued hard work that he will continue to succeed at Werder Bremen."

http://www.espn.com/soccer/werder-bremen/story/3784556/josh-sargent-signs-long-term-extension-with-werder-bremen

PS- Yes, I'm an old, but the tattoo shit just screams "I'm an idiot." like it does on Christian. Josh is going to be more of a leader for the USMNT than Christian within a year or two and it would have been nice for him to show that he was less of a follower and more of a leader/individual, but perhaps that doesn't even pop into the heads of kids these days.

Spoiler

Half of the HS football recruits already have that much. I don't disagree, but I'm not a teenager nowadays either. Also its always the left arm on the US soccer players. Dempsey, Jordan Morris, Pulisic, and now Sargent all on the left arm. Is this like guys only having a certain ear pierced back in the 80's?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

South American countries choose not to come to the US and perform as circus animals just because the U.S. offers to make it rain. 

http://www.espn.com/soccer/copa-america/story/3787290/conmebol-refuses-us-soccers-2020-continental-tournament-proposal

The CONMEBOL president said in the letter the accounting of the Copa Centenario played in the United States three years ago is still to be concluded.

Good grief. We're getting close to 3 years ago on that tournament and accounting still isn't finished? 

Honestly, I thought Copa Centenario was a cool deal but there's no need to make it a regular thing. CONCACAF needs to worry about making the Gold Cup more prestigious. IMO, there's no reason the GC couldn't become every bit as meaningful as Copa America. Hopefully they move it to every 4 years as a nice start. 

On 3/1/2019 at 8:28 AM, LurkingHorn said:

Good grief. We're getting close to 3 years ago on that tournament and accounting still isn't finished? 

Honestly, I thought Copa Centenario was a cool deal but there's no need to make it a regular thing. CONCACAF needs to worry about making the Gold Cup more prestigious. IMO, there's no reason the GC couldn't become every bit as meaningful as Copa America. Hopefully they move it to every 4 years as a nice start. 

Except for the fact the Copa America has 3 countries with multiple WC's and finals appearances, 5 teams in the top 20 of the Fifa rankings (yes, I know they're dumb, but they still give a general sense of a teams strength), and a history of enjoyable competitions.

A pan-American tourney would be pretty sweet, especially if we could do it Euro Championship style qualifying for two years leading up to the competition.  I could see that doing more for our squad development than worthless friendlies or a worthless GC against weak competition.   

On 2/9/2019 at 11:52 AM, Napoleon said:

RB Leipzig decided that they were tired of winning, so they didn’t start Tyler Adams and he only entered at 90’+1.

They drew 0-0.

Wonder if they are going to want to start winning again for their next match. 

Since making his league debut on Jan. 27th, Adams has made seven appearances for the club while helping them post a 5-2-0 record during that span. Most importantly, Leipzig has jumped to third in the standings and RB Leipzig manager Ralf Rangnick has praised the midfielder on his impact at the club.

“Whenever Tyler’s been on the pitch, we’ve won,” Rangnick said in an interview with Kicker. “We also beat Hoffenheim in the second half when he was on the pitch [the match ended 1-1, but Leipzig were losing 1-0 when Adams was brought on at half-time]. We’re averaging three points per game with Adams.”...

https://sbisoccer.com/2019/03/rangnick-were-averaging-three-points-a-game-with-adams

On 3/1/2019 at 9:28 AM, LurkingHorn said:

Hey, laundering money takes time, you can't expect it to be done in 3 years.

As far as the Gold Cup, there is a lot of talk it might go away as a casualty of the Confederations Cup being killed. Only 2019 and 21 GCs are scheduled and it might not be renewed.

As far as prestigious, it was never going to match the Copa America, see what Derty said. And certainly not played every 2 years. But even at your 4 year plan it was always going to be a very, VERY distant 3rd.

But for as great as the Copa is, it still was second to the Euro Championship. And the Centenario showed something that could carry the attention to bring the America (North and South) s a little closer to the European stage. And Derty is right, with a solid qualification schedule (51 teams in a Euro style works for 16 or a 24 team final tournament), you could dramatically see improvement of both US team and North American squads as a whole.

I think the bigger issue here is that US Soccer can't be the one pushing the effort, they have to get CONCACAF onboard first and have them be the ones to approach CONMEBOL.

I just disagree that we need to form one large Copa. When I refer to prestige of the GC I'm talking about the importance of what the tournament means to the countries of that region. I'm not necessarily arguing the GC is going to be more watched on the international stage. But right now the GC means very little except to those countries who never have a chance of making a tournament otherwise. If it is moved to every 4 years, you can bet Mexico and the U.S. will bring their full squads every time and I know I would personally be stoked for it. You can even invite a Brazil or Argentina if you want another to bring in another major team. 

On 3/9/2019 at 8:04 AM, Captain Ron said:

As far as prestigious, it was never going to match the Copa America, see what Derty said. And certainly not played every 2 years. But even at your 4 year plan it was always going to be a very, VERY distant 3rd.

Third? THIRD??? 😂😂😂

The African Cup and The Asian Cup laugh at your calling the 5th most prestigious confederation’s cup “third”, we it barely nudges out Oceania for being stuck in dead last. 

THIRD?!?! 😂😂😂👍

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

Our forwards are missing our forwards.

I cannot understand how Michael Bradley gets called up after his lackluster performance last time and his atrocious play for his club. He is terrible.

Omar Gonzalez? Hmmm... I admit that I have not been following his play in Mexico.

YES! No Brad Guzan!

USSF hires Jason Kreis to take charge of U.S. Under-23s

The U.S. Soccer Federation has named Jason Kreis to be the manager of the U.S. Under-23 national team.

The appointment means Kreis will oversee the team's qualification effort for the 2020 Olympic games in Tokyo.

"Jason's qualities and experience made him stand out as the best candidate to lead our U23 men's national team in this important cycle towards the 2020 Olympics," said men's national team general manager Earnie Stewart.

"The U23s are a meaningful part of our program, and Jason is an experienced head coach with significant success both in league and CONCACAF competitions. His knowledge of the player pool is impressive, and we are confident in his ability to implement the style of play we are building with the senior MNT and throughout our national teams. We appreciate the willingness of Inter Miami CF to allow us the opportunity to take advantage of Jason's abilities to guide this group."

Kreis, 46, recently joined the technical staff of MLS expansion side Inter Miami FC. He will continue in that role in addition to his new duties with the U23s...

[snip]

U.S. U-23 MNT Roster by Position (Club; Hometown):

GOALKEEPERS: Jonathan Klinsmann (Hertha BSC/GER; Newport Beach, Calif.), JT Marcinkowski (San Jose Earthquakes; Alamo, Calif.)

DEFENDERS: Julian Araujo (LA Galaxy; Lompac, Calif.), Cameron Carter-Vickers (Swansea City/WAL; Southend-on-Sea, England), Marco Farfan (Portland Timbers; Portland, Ore.), Jack Maher (Indiana; Caseyville, Ill.), Matthew Olosunde (Manchester United/ENG; Trenton, N.J.), Donovan Pines (D.C. United; Clarksville, Md.), Lucas Pos (FC Lausanne-Sport/SUI; Irvine, Calif.), Antonee Robinson (Wigan Athletic/ENG; Milton Keyes, England), Miles Robinson (Atlanta United FC; Arlington, Mass.)

MIDFIELDERS: Derrick Jones (Philadelphia Union; Philadelphia, Penn.), Cameron Lindley (Orlando City SC; Carmel, Ind.), Djordje Mihailovic (Chicago Fire; Lemont, Ill.), Keaton Parks (New York City FC; Plano, Texas), Eryk Williamson (Portland Timbers; Alexandria, Va.), Jackson Yueill (San Jose Earthquakes; St. Paul, Minn.)

FORWARDS: Jeremy Ebobisse (Portland Timbers; Bethesda, Md.), Josh Perez (LAFC; La Habra, Calif.), Emmanuel Sabbi (Hobro IK/DEN; Columbus, Ohio), Josh Sargent (Werder Bremen/GER; O'Fallon, MO), Tim Weah (Celtic FC/SCO; Rosedale, N.Y.), Haji Wright (Schalke/GER; Los Angeles, Calif.)

Some obvious exclusions from players who currently play in the midfield for Bundesliga clubs. Hopefully if we qualify, their clubs allow them to play in the Olympics.

http://www.espn.com/soccer/united-states/story/3804848/ussf-hires-jason-kreis-to-take-charge-of-us-under-23s

Johnson at keeper.

Adams and Ream at right and left back, respectfully.

Long and Brooks at center back.

McKennie, Trapp, and Pulisic in midfield.

Arriola, Zardes, and Morris up top.

Wish our top forwards had been available. Zardes and Morris are too similar (and too limited) for my liking.

Also would've enjoyed seeing Lletget and Lewis start, but I imagine they will see second-half duty.