USMNT 2019

Napoleon

the cabal could fix it.  but they would rather count the money.  like aggy exists for alabama and lsu to host recruits in texas, so do the nats exist to provide a regulatory platform to exploit the mexican football economy.  mls is an exhibition.  the pyramid remains inverted.

no urgency late in the game?  jimbo 9-minute special to cover.

1 hour ago, Hagbard Celine said:

abysmal.  pedestrian.  not fit for purpose.

and given the number of zealotrous nats people here on the surl, it speaks volumes to the state of the program that we literally collectively give zero fucks about what is technically a full international (tm jedwards).

I’m one of those you described. A mere 4 years ago I would have never guessed I would actively choose to not watch a USMNT match. This team needed pareja and we got this egg head. It’s a sad state of affairs. 

16 minutes ago, LurkingHorn said:

I’m one of those you described. A mere 4 years ago I would have never guessed I would actively choose to not watch a USMNT match. This team needed pareja and we got this egg head. It’s a sad state of affairs. 

Four years ago (give or take), I took a day off school, drove to Columbus, OH (from Knoxville), watched a game, and drove back before the next day of school began.  

Today, I almost forgot about the game.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Four years ago (give or take), I took a day off school, drove to Columbus, OH (from Knoxville), watched a game, and drove back before the next day of school began.  

Today, I almost forgot about the game.  

I haven’t watched a USMNT game in over a year. Berhalter sucks. US Soccer Federation sucks. There’s no reason to give them any money. As long as money keeps coming in there’s no incentive to change.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

He was rumored to want the position, but US Soccer wanted an American / native English speaker / loser. 

Yeah I saw all this on twitter just a few minutes ago, at least make him turn down an offer. Fuck just give me a good AFA coach right now

US Soccer COO Jay Berhalter hired Earnie Stewart to be the GM of US Soccer. Earnie Stewart hired Jay's brother to be USMNT coach. Now Jay may become the CEO of US Soccer. The systemic rot has killed US Soccer and it's not getting fixed any time soon. We're in the early stages of the real dark age of American soccer.

• Like 2

I saw the last couple of minutes of the 1st half and all of the 2nd half. 

It was just shit soccer. Like MLS 1999 level boring and  pitiful. Maybe MLS 2005, but whenever you want to imagine near constant change of possession due to poorly weighted passes and limited finishing skilz in front of the goal. 

Cannon should have been Right Back.

Yedlin should have been Right Mid.

Lovitz should have been Left Out. 

Bradley should have been in the stands. 

Adams was sorely missed in the #6. 

Pomykal was sorely missed in the #10. 

McKennie still doesn’t know what position he should be playing (#8), nor have the discipline to play it well in part due to his club chaos leading him to starting in about 5 different spots over the last 15 months. 

Ream should be on the bench. 

Someone needs to hook up with Pulisic. 

Someone needs to learn to cross the ball to Sargent. 

God... this team, the manager, this pool selection... everything looks like shit. 

Edited by Napoleon
  • Like 2

In 2018, 13 points from ten games got the third spot from CONCACAF (and the 4th play off spot) in the World Cup. Presuming Canada moves into the top six, right now what is your confidence the USMNT could get 13 points from ten games in a Hex with Mexico, Costa Rica, Jamaica, Honduras and Canada?

1 hour ago, ATLLonghorn said:

In 2018, 13 points from ten games got the third spot from CONCACAF (and the 4th play off spot) in the World Cup. Presuming Canada moves into the top six, right now what is your confidence the USMNT could get 13 points from ten games in a Hex with Mexico, Costa Rica, Jamaica, Honduras and Canada?

vs Mexico : 0 pts

vs Costa Rica: 0 pts

vs Jamaica: 1 pt

vs Honduras: 3 pts

vs Canada: 1 pt

TOTAL: 5 pts

The thing that gets me is it's not like Berhalter was an excellent coach in MLS. He had one good year when they made a run in the playoffs but his teams were never at the top in terms of goals for or goal differential. We could have had freaking Tata but apparently we need someone without an accent. 

Supposedly had flu like symptoms...

Couldn't agree more on cesspool of hiring at US Soccer..a girls youth team recently had an embarrassing collapse in a big tournament. that coach continues as head coach of a different team

Not only do they only hire friends, but they also limit access to the highest level coaching certs to keep others from improving to take their friends spots. us soccer has even said they only want a small pool of coaches with the top level licenses. they want it to be "exclusive" like coaching certs should be treated like limited editions

player selection will also be subpar because they, again only hire friends, and keep too few scouts on payroll to ever competently cover the player base

last night's performance was bad, really bad. bradley is exactly a great insight into the state of us soccer. he, and many favored players like him, will make one play on the day and all will sing his praises while ignoring the 89 minutes of piss poor play

19 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

As "un-thrilled" as I am about the likes of Julian Green, Timmy Chandler, and wherever Zelalem is right now, there's no way you can convince me that they're worse than Roldan, Arriola, Bradley, Boyd, and Lovitz.

There was a reason why Klinsmann did everything he could to find dual-national players because the American-born player pool is shallow.

It's ok though, US Soccer doesn't give a shit about youth development and are doing everything they can to alienate dual national players, particularly Mexican-American ones.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, ATLLonghorn said:

Give me your starting XI and 7 substitutes of American born players right now.

Dude I'm not listing 18 players because you disagree with me. I'm making the point that our current issues have little to do with our player pool. The best 22-25 true Americans playing the right positions with the right coaching should be enough to qualify for the WC every time. 

Our best 3 players right now - Adams, Mckennie and Pulisic are all American born. 

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Dude I'm not listing 18 players because you disagree with me. I'm making the point that our current issues have little to do with our player pool. The best 22-25 true Americans playing the right positions with the right coaching should be enough to qualify for the WC every time. 

Our best 3 players right now - Adams, Mckennie and Pulisic are all American born. 

Aspiring to be the second best team in CONCACAF is a really low bar to aspire to, but do you.

Also, you named three.

18 minutes ago, ATLLonghorn said:

Aspiring to be the second best team in CONCACAF is a really low bar to aspire to, but do you.

Also, you named three.

Honestly man this team is such shit right now I don't even want to start looking up every player we have. If you want a better discussion I don't blame you, I'm just too checked out for that given where we are. 

The biggest problem I think you find looking at just American born players is that you can't really put together a coherent defense with them. You can put together a pretty good attacking front, but once you start needing 2 way players it really falls off fast. Pure defense?  Good luck.

Off topic, but another tweet:

On 10/22/2019 at 11:04 AM, pacman said:

Hugo Perez has made the switch to scout for Mexico. we are now losing us soccer legends to mexico.

https://theathletic.com/1302170/2019/10/17/usmnt-legend-hugo-perez-on-his-new-role-with-el-tri-and-how-u-s-soccer-needs-to-improve-latino-outreach/

Even with great talent coming up in the USA, the 2020s should be Mexico's decade with these jokers in charge of US Soccer.