USMNT 2019

Napoleon

On 7/7/2019 at 10:59 PM, blacklab said:

while I was watching the game and thinking about how bradley sucks, it just always seemed like he was going backwards and if going forwards he seemed to fuck up. So aat some point in the second half I decided I would count how many times he passed it forward and we didn't lose possession. My count did not get to 1. I swear he did not make a pass forward that we didn't lose possession on in the last 20 minutes of the game.

fearless leader in the house

11 hours ago, LurkingHorn said:

II REALLY hope the emergence of Cannon will add to the RB competition and Berhalter will do away with this stupid notion of playing Adams there. 

I also REALLY hope Pomykal gets some chances to take over the wing occupied by Morris and Boyd. Dude is a complete package. 

Apparently FC Dallas is actually serious about developing skill with their players. Cannon, McKinnie, and that kid that just went to Bayern are examples.

Pomykal looks to be an undersized 8 with some nice positioning and passing ability. I don't recall him having any noticeable speed from the U-20 WC matches I watched, nor did he seem like he could run all day. I don't know what in the hell he would do out on the wing.

8 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I’ll humbebrag this up.  

I was all classic traveling team everything as a 9/10 year old.  I have family in the UK.  My cousins were ball boys for ManU in their glory days.  We traveled over there a few times.  My family there insisted I stay there after I was offered a spot on one of those developmental teams.  My parents laughed and I wasn’t all that interested.  I quit soccer a couple years later while still being pretty good.  I ended up a division one athlete but still think about how crazy it was they were that into developing players.  We stand zero chance against that.  

Parents in the US understand that a kid who likes baseball needs to put in hours and hours each month in batting cages or hitting against live pitching.

Parents in the US understand that for a kid to be a QB, he needs to have a QB coach by the time he's in middle school (if he's going to be a THROWING QB.)

Parents in the US understand that for a kid to excel in basketball, he needs to have access to a hoop and practice shooting hours and hours each week. He needs to practice ball handling skills and lay-ups with each hand.

SOMEDAY... Parents in the US will understand that their kid needs to practice killing a ball from all different distances, speeds, angles, and with spins FIRST before they can even think about other stuff.

ONLY WHEN THAT DAY COMES will the US be able to develop amazing MALE talent on a regular basis. If/When parents understand that working on the first touch is the equivalent of throwing a football or baseball with their 6/7/8 year-old boy for an hour or two each day and have the kid practice kicking the ball against something that bounces the ball back so that they can kill it over-and-over... then we'll be on our way.

You don't necessarily need top dollar coaches to work with 5, 6, & 7 year-old kids once the parents understand how important the basics are. That exists in virtually every other country around the world. That most definitely does NOT exist in the USA.

Edited by Napoleon
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Apparently FC Dallas is actually serious about developing skill with their players. Cannon, McKinnie, and that kid that just went to Bayern are examples.

Pomykal looks to be an undersized 8 with some nice positioning and passing ability. I don't recall him having any noticeable speed from the U-20 WC matches I watched, nor did he seem like he could run all day. I don't know what in the hell he would do out on the wing.

Parents in the US understand that a kid who likes baseball needs to put in hours and hours each month in batting cages or hitting against live pitching.

Parents in the US understand that for a kid to be a QB, he needs to have a QB coach by the time he's in middle school (if he's going to be a THROWING QB.)

Parents in the US understand that for a kid to excel in basketball, he needs to have access to a hoop and practice shooting hours and hours each week. He needs to practice ball handling skills and lay-ups with each hand.

SOMEDAY... Parents in the US will understand that their kid needs to practice killing a ball from all different distances, speeds, angles, and with spins FIRST before they can even think about other stuff.

ONLY WHEN THAT DAY COMES will the US be able to develop amazing MALE talent on a regular basis. If/When parents understand that working on the first touch is the equivalent of throwing a football or baseball with their 6/7/8 year-old boy for an hour or two each day and have the kid practice kicking the ball against something that bounces the ball back so that they can kill it over-and-over... then we'll be on our way.

You don't necessarily need top dollar coaches to work with 5, 6, & 7 year-old kids once the parents understand how important the basics are. That exists in virtually every other country around the world. That most definitely does NOT exist in the USA.

While I agree he's not an outright winger, Pomykal pretty much plays all over the park, is really good at linking with teammates, and wins the ball very well. He's not Pulisic where he's just going to blow by people but that's not his game anyway. I would also point out that Boyd and Morris cannot run all day either which is why they were subbed just about every game. Putting him on the wing is to get guys on the field with skill, something this team still severely lacks. 

18 minutes ago, LurkingHorn said:

export-74.png

This is his heat map for location of passes received in MLS play through 5/29. 

I wasn't arguing your point just being a pedant about the term "park"

But way to back up your claims with data. Becoming a lost art. 

The 2019 Gold Cup is now in the history books and it was the first major test of Gregg Berhalter’s tenure as head coach. The results were decidedly mixed but if he learns the lessons that the tournament offered, the team could be in good shape as it rebuilds from the failure of 2017 and from a generation of players who did not produce much by way of national team talent.

For one, losing to Mexico in a Gold Cup final is always a bitter pill and a missed opportunity to build genuine enthusiasm for the program. Recall back in 2007 when Bob Bradley took over the team on the heels of a very poor World Cup and the federation essentially shutting the team down for six months in a failed effort to hire Jurgen Klinsmann as the coach. There was a lot of cynicism around the team and the win over Mexico in the 2007 Gold Cup final helped start a genuine upward trend for the 2010 cycle.

The failure to win the Gold Cup and losing to its archrival in the final will, unfortunately, see the pessimism linger throughout the fan base and some in the media.

In some sense that is fair too. Mexico is better than the U.S. team right now and there is no denying it. The U.S. played well for stretches in the final in creating enough chances to win but only to see the finishing come up short. The U.S improved throughout the tournament but it is still not far removed from the woeful pre-Gold Cup friendly losses to Jamaica and Venezuela.

This team is also in worse shape than the one Bob Bradley had in 2007. At that time, key players like Landon Donovan, Carlos Bocanegra, DaMarcus Beasley, Tim Howard, and Clint Dempsey were in their prime mid-20 years for that Gold Cup. Steve Cherundolo was injured for that tournament but still part of a core in their prime.

Berhalter is in a tricky spot trying to rely on a group that is very talented, but much, much younger and inexperienced in the international game. Trying to nurture that group without a dependable group in their prime to help bail them out when they make youthful mistakes is difficult.

This team is going to take a lot of work but this tournament helped bring the state of the team into a clearer picture. There were some obvious lessons to be learned as well as some key questions with not-so-obvious solutions.

Here are five big takeaways for the U.S. team from the Gold Cup as it prepares for the fall.

1. The forward pool is murky

Right now, there is no position more unsettled on the U.S. team than at forward. Jozy Altidore will be criticized for his miss in the first half when he took a long pass from Tim Ream, beat his defender, and missed a clear chance alone on Guillermo Ochoa. The reality, however, is that Altidore helped the team more than he hurt it

Altidore’s hold-up play was something that has been missing. On multiple occasions, he held the ball under pressure to allow his teammates to join in the attack. He was then able to play the ball off to them in advanced positions. The rest of the team clearly played better with Altidore on the field, despite the fact Altidore was unable to score.

The problem is that there is no real answer after Altidore and that is a big problem given Altidore’s history with injuries (which have often affected his ability to either play or play fully fit in important games).

Gyasi Zardes had two nice moments against Trinidad & Tobago but was otherwise poor. The problem, however, is that no options are particularly enticing.

Andrija Novakovich had a decent season in the Netherlands (a league which Berhalter and general manager Earnie Stewart know well) but it remains to be seen if it will translate to a higher level. Sebastian Soto had a good U-20 World Cup

Josh Sargent and Tim Weah (also a winger) are probably the most ready of the very younger options although neither is an ideal situation. Sargent did not play much for Werder Bremen after the winter break and he also did not play for its reserve team to stay sharp. He will have a lot of questions heading into the upcoming season. The same should be said of Weah who is fresh off a transfer to Lille.

2. Tyler Adams must play the midfield

Tyler Adams was not on the Gold Cup due to an injury but while it seemed as if Berhalter was going to play him at right back, it is clear after this tournament he needs to be in the midfield for two reasons.

First, there is no need for him at right back. DeAndre Yedlin now has a lot of Premier League experience and is likely the number one. At the Gold Cup, Reggie Cannon was terrific when on the field and he had a great final. Nick Lima wasn’t bad. Youngsters Sergino Dest and Julian Araujo are still a ways off but are legitimate prospects. The state of the national team pool isn’t great overall, but right back is one of the stronger areas in terms of depth.

Second, Adams is an upgrade over existing midfield options. Michael Bradley was pretty good against Mexico until he fatigued, Weston McKennie struggled against Mexico – but was pretty good for most of the tournament. Bradley and McKennie seemed to struggle with their chemistry and this hurt the U.S. team when controlling games. Wil Trapp simply looked behind the other options.

Adams at the No. 6 (defensive midfielder) and McKennie at a No. 8 (central midfielder) or dual No. 10 (attacking midfielder) role seems to be a duo to develop overtime with Bradley serving as the backup (and there's still very much a role for Bradley on the team). Adams has the endurance and defensive instincts to do very well in that position.

3. What are the central defense pairings?

The backline generally performed well at the Gold Cup. Left back wasn’t great but the options there are almost as dire as the forward options. Still Tim Ream was decent in the final.

But in central defense there are several options that Berhalter will have to bring clarity. On the Gold Cup team, Aaron Long, Matt Miazga, and Walker Zimmerman all performed well while Omar Gonzalez looked too slow at the moment.

John Brooks was injured for this tournament but seems most likely to take Gonzalez’s place mostly likely leaving the four central defender in a 23 player roster to be Brooks, Miazga, Long, and Zimmerman. What is the first-choice duo? What is the chemistry between all of them in case there are injuries? Solid central defense is an excellent attribute for a team looking to rebuild.

Finally, are there other options who can push those four to prevent complacency? Can the large contingent of Olympic eligible central defenders Erik Palmer-Brown, Cameron Carter-Vickers, Miles Robinson, Justen Glad, Chris Richards, or Austin Trusty continue to raise their games to provide healthier competition? That will be an interesting question over the next year.

4. The role for newcomers Boyd and Holmes

Duane Holmes made the initial Gold Cup team but had to be replaced. Tyler Boyd played well in the tournament early but disappeared after a subpar effort in the quarterfinals.

Both players are new to the U.S system and neither had played or known any of the players before arriving at camp. It seemed only natural that Boyd was going to hit a rough patch, and that Holmes would have as well had he been healthy.

But both players showed through their club performances and initial national team runouts that they are deserve future call-ups and patience as they adjust and learn. Both play positions were the U.S. team is thin. Boyd can be an explosive winger and Holmes can be a gritty and energetic playmaker – who also plays much needed defense in the middle of the field.

Getting both players involved in the program for this Gold Cup was a nice first step for Berhalter but the benefits of having both players involved is a work-in-progress with potential nice benefits in the years ahead.

The Gold Cup revealed that there is clearly a need for both Holmes and Boyd.

On the wings, Paul Arriola played well and justified his spot on the team. While he wasn’t always polished in the final third, he brings a ton of energy and defensive work to the game. Aside from him, the winger pool isn’t particularly great – especially if Christian Pulisic plays as a No. 10. Jordan Morris was ineffective against Mexico and invisible for long stretches in the semifinal against Jamaica. Boyd would be a much-needed addition here.

For Holmes, he would likely fit one of the two dual No. 10 positions in a 4-1-4-1 formation. The Gold Cup revealed that this area could use a boost. Pulisic and McKennie played those roles but beyond them, it wasn’t stable (not to mention Pulisic might be better suited out wide). Cristian Roldan was decent against Mexico off the bench but hasn’t made much of an impact with the U.S. team this year and Djordje Mihailovic is probably better suited for the U.S. U-23 team right now.

Holmes brings a lot of experience from the English Championship and plays in a way that fits Berhalter’s system. He plays strong defense in terms of winning the ball, he is feisty, but he’s also very creative.

The past six weeks showed that both players are on the radar for Berhalter but this Gold Cup revealed that a worthy goal for the upcoming slate of games should be to get them integrated to the point where they can take big role within the U.S. men's national team.

5. Which new players are ready?

The core of this year is very young and the roster will evolve with time. The good news is that more younger players are starting to emerge and make cases for themselves. But some of these players are still only just starting their careers at the first-team level. It will be interesting to see which players Berhalter believe are ready, and which he believes need more time with their clubs or the U.S. U-23 team.

Weah and Sargent are likely names given their previous involvement with the national team and the need for forwards and/or wingers.

For central midfield options, Paxton Pomykal and Jackson Yueill look promising and juggling their involvement with the U.S. U-23 team over the next year will be challenging.

For central defenders like Carter-Vickers, Palmer-Brown, and Richards, there is not as much of a pressing need at the moment given the positive performance from central defenders at the Gold Cup.

There are plenty of other options too that will likely emerge over the next year or few years. Fullbacks Dest and Chris Golster, central midfielders Alex Mendez, Richard Ledezma, Brandon Servania, and Brendan Aaronson, forwards/wingers Jesus Ferreira, Jonathan Amon, and Soto are all part of a promising young generation that will hopefully breakthrough, keep things competitive, and perhaps even surpass existing options.

The loss against Mexico clearly stung for American fans but the reality is that Mexico is just better at the moment. For a team stuck in the middle of a rebuild with a very young core, it competed very well against Mexico and had legitimate scoring chances to win. When looking at the very big picture, it is encouraging to see the potential on the horizon.

• Like 3

The US gave as good as they got in that game. They should have had at least 2 goals by HT. That's on a purely physical level. On a soccer level, their inability to counter the change in game strategy introduced at HT by Mexico is very concerning!

With extra pieces, Mexico and the US could get arguably better. The concern, though, is that playing the CONCACAF Gold Cup final is a lot like playing the MAC Championship. It still doesn't mean you're ready for the big boys.

The next USMNT game is in October against Cuba. 2022 qualifying is around the corner. I know it's difficult to work around club seasons in international windows, but I'd really like to see some more games scheduled against contenders. We're at the "learn by taking your lumps" stage.

I'm still irritated that I can't find a left back that can be described better than "didn't do too bad".

20 hours ago, ATLLonghorn said:

I forgot he existed tbh

I liked him and hope he returns to form in Sweden. Lord knows we could use better strikers.

17 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

The Son of Claudio. May the Soccer Gods bless him with good health and performance.

15 hours ago, ATLLonghorn said:

Honestly the Bundesliga has done more to help the USMNT than MLS has so I hope they keep signing American kids and bring them on tours of the US.

Verdad. Danke schoen, Deutschland.

bacon is toast.  washing out of germany and going back to sweden is not a trajectory towards contributing in december 2022.

wright move could be a good move remains to be seen.  here are the soccer america blurbs:

Haji Wright, who debuted for German club Schalke 04 last season, has signed a one-year contract with Dutch club VVV Venlo with an additional one-year option held by the club. One of the first players from the 2015 U.S. Under-17 World Cup team to move to Europe, Wright broke through in late 2018 and had one goal in seven appearances for Schalke. The 21-year-old forward spent the 2017-18 season on loan to second division Sandhausen, where he scored once in 15 games.

Aron Johannsson has returned to Scandinavia with the Swedish club Hammarby after four injury-plagued seasons with German club Werder Bremen. Johannsson, who played for the USA at the 2014 World Cup, broke through with Danish club AGF Aarhus and then played at Dutch club AZ, scoring 50 goals for the two clubs over the four seasons, but only had five goals in 30 matches over four seasons in Germany.

18 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Sorry this is late. I think the current soccer stream subreddit is www.reddit.com/r/vipsoccetstreams

Actually it's moved to https://www.reddit.com/r/soccercom/

They move a lot because reddit keeps banning them. Feel free to @ or pm me if you're ever having trouble finding a stream. I'm very well versed in this dark art. 

4 hours ago, ATLLonghorn said:

Arriola needs to go to Europe or back to Mexico in the worst way. I love some of the intangibles he brings to the table, but good lord is lacking technical proficiency.

Back to Mexico? Not sure it's the MLS' fault that he's lacking technical ability. 

4 hours ago, ATLLonghorn said:

Arriola needs to go to Europe or back to Mexico in the worst way. I love some of the intangibles he brings to the table, but good lord is lacking technical proficiency.

I agree about his intangibles but yea, he played that way the entire Gold Cup IMO. His hustle and smarts got him in to good spots only to completely miss the final pass, touch, or shot.