USMNT 2019

Napoleon

Just now, Knoxtnhorn said:

Wait.  Who was the Mexican fan that made up a story about a death in the family or somesuch during a game?  Anyone recall that?

My friend got stabbed in Brazil, I found out in the middle of USA  vs Belgium. I was really concerned until I reached out to his mom and she told me that he was going to be fine.  

Just now, Zepol87 said:

We aren't good enough to fuck around even with friendlies. Fuck Greg fuck this shit

I hear you. I don't understand a lot of what Berhalter is doing right now. Maybe he's biding his time with some experiments. Maybe he's an idiot.

US soccer is definitely going through a transition, so it's going to take a while for the team to come together, and even if that happens, there are some severe deficiencies, particularly in defense.

But friendlies ... eh ... for me, they are a step above preseason games but a step below regular season games. I watch them, I care about the outcome, but I don't get ragey over them. They can tell you a lot, but they can also tell you nothing.

What did today tell you that wasn't already obvious? We already knew that Mexico is better and that Berhalter seems lost.

That said, if we're still playing like this next year when the qualification cycle starts, I definitely will be shitting my pants. 

• Like 1

I didn't tune in until the 90th minute, because a Cabal/Tri New Jersey payday result is a foregone conclusion with any US head coach that hasn't earned the right to be there.

The Nats no longer exist to win.  They exist to make money for The Cabal.   If we were serious about winning we would pay Mourinho whatever he wanted but The Cabal didn't like Juergen telling them where to get off, so they will never again hire a coach who has actually earned the right to helm the program.  Like, say, Tata Martino.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Captain Ron said:

Yes and no. This has little to do with winning and losing, sure. But I would love to see there be something that looks good from this team. So far all I see from this team is hammer dog shit when they play real teams.

Agree.  I'm trying to find something I like about this team going forward.  Puli for sure and.... uh, Cannon, Adams, uh...  Not much else.

28 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

I hear you. I don't understand a lot of what Berhalter is doing right now. Maybe he's biding his time with some experiments. Maybe he's an idiot.

US soccer is definitely going through a transition, so it's going to take a while for the team to come together, and even if that happens, there are some severe deficiencies, particularly in defense.

But friendlies ... eh ... for me, they are a step above preseason games but a step below regular season games. I watch them, I care about the outcome, but I don't get ragey over them. They can tell you a lot, but they can also tell you nothing.

What did today tell you that wasn't already obvious? We already knew that Mexico is better and that Berhalter seems lost.

That said, if we're still playing like this next year when the qualification cycle starts, I definitely will be shitting my pants. 

This is USSF and the coach gaslighting you. Berhalter should have a very clear plan for this team, for each game and for the MNT as a whole. He might understand that we are overmatched in games and he should have a plan for that.

He's got nothing. When his game plan doesn't work, he fall to complete SHIT. He has 1 plan, plan A and if it doesn't work, we are screwed. Tonight was a perfect example. We came out, looked great to start, Mexico adjusted and Adios muchachos. And worse, his plan might not even be the best plan to play a game. You don't see Palace open up their games against Man City or Liverpool going on the offensive, that would be stupid. Yet that's what Gergg does.

The problem is that HE'S STILL LOST!!! This guy has been making questionable decisions from day #1. Day 1 I get saying tap the brakes. but we are now 12 games into this guys tenure. This is the same stuff that people said about Strong to his defenders, because they saw enough and knew it was going to be a lost cause.

This article from 2 months ago nails it, and holds true tonight - https://mlsmultiplex.com/2019/06/10/usmnt-3-reasons-worry-gregg-berhalter/

13 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Agreed. Look at the Gold Cup. We were shit and still got to the finals. But I'm not happy with being Mexico's bitch, either, which we most certainly will be if things don't improve.

CONCACAF is shit, we're just better shit, look at us against real teams.

Edited by Captain Ron

2 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

This is USSF and the coach gaslighting you.

Either you don't know what gaslighting means, or you are taking yourself--and this spectator sport--way too seriously.

Nothing I've written should be read as an endorsement of Berhalter or USSF. I just don't see it changing (similar to how we all know FIFA is corrupt af yet still watch the World Cup, etc.).

I'm also not going to fly into a rage every time the outcome of a game doesn't go my way. If that is a problem for you, feel free to put me on ignore.

52 minutes ago, Bottlecap said:

they fuckin deserve that for that idiot ass negative passing. bound to happen. FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK YOU GERG.

I get it. Tonight it sucked. But I’m just wondering. Are you totally anti build up from the back? Or just with the team we have? I personally like building from the back on a possession change in the defensive third,  and that’s how I coach older teams, but it developed way too slow tonight. 

Are you totally anti build up from the back? Or just with the team we have?

The latter.  Steffan can't pass his way out of a paper bag.  I'm also not sure that the US has a center back or center back pairing that can handle high pressure when building from the back.  Additionally, players like Trapp, Boyd, Zardes - actually most current US players - seem to think too slowly to be able to move the ball quickly upfield in succession. 

In the "good ol days" the US used to play to its strengths instead of square pegging a round hole.  For example, when McBride featured, he would be the perfect holding forward ala a cheap man's Harry Kane.  When Donovan featured, the team took advantage of his speed and moved him around the field.  When the team was defensive mid heavy, the formation would be a tad slower and more boring, but we'd generally never embarrass ourselves.  What I saw last night was pretty gdamn embarrassing.  I mean, I'm not entirely sure what the idea/formation/tactics were supposed to be.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Texasborn91 said:

All of our best players are under the age of 25. We just aren’t ready yet. That being said Josh Sargent is the best striker in our pool by far and not starting him is fucking us. I almost threw up watching Zardes and Morris ping it around with absolutely no threat of using their left foot. 

At least Wondo wasn’t out there. That’s a step in the right direction. 

It’s so frustrating watching the retreads out there who shouldn’t sniff the pitch in 2022. They add nothing now and are a net negative by taking time away from guys who need the playing time. 

Pomykal better get his first cap against Uruguay. 

Edited by Jive Turkey

44 minutes ago, ATLLonghorn said:

Seven new starters. I'm presuming CP, McKennie and others went back to their clubs. I heard about departures but haven't been super locked in.

Hard to blame you. And, yes, several have gone back to their clubs.

CHICAGO (Sept. 7, 2019) – The U.S. Men’s National Team roster was reduced to 20 players as John Brooks, Sean Johnson, Weston McKennie, Alfredo Morales, Christian Pulisic and Zack Steffen were released back to their clubs on Saturday morning. No replacements will be made ahead of Tuesday’s match against Uruguay in St. Louis.

As for today's lineup, very pleased to see Sargent starting. Of course, it won't matter who's up top if midfield and the backline can't retain possession and advance the ball.

Also pleased to see Long, Cannon and Lletget as first choices, but see no point in having Ream start. Morris is meh, but he's definitely a better winger than forward. Not wild about Roldan, either.

Dest and Boyd need more seasoning, so this is a good cap for them. Don't know much about Yueill.