USMNT 2019

Napoleon

Am I the only one that is extremely meh per Tyler Boyd?  I'm still trying to figure out the draw.  Not fast, not defensive, not quick, not good one-on-one, not tall, not physical, doesn't finish particularly well.  I don't get it.  IMO, the top, right of a 4-3-3 is about the easiest position on the field to play.  One should show out and have at least a handful of positive plays a game there.  He did have a good cross last night but, otherwise, I don't recall anything.

Poor Roldan had the worst ~ 4 minutes of play I may have seen since Jeff Agoos.  He turned the ball over twice in 5 seconds, let his mark spin away from him with the ball (leading to the goal), then turned the ball over on the kickoff.  

I think Dest and Pulisic are used to a much faster pace of play/thinking.  

Too bad we can't put Steffan's goaltending with Guzan's distribution.

Despite getting burned on the goal, I like Long.  His positioning was off a tad on the break because he had to choose between two offensive players.  That may have been part of the reason he was flat-footed in defending the scorer.

Yuell.  Jesus.  I'm not sure I've ever seen set-piece distribution NEVER get past the first defender.

I thought Morris, Cannon, and Sargent played well.  I'm assuming Roldan was the right-mid.  Either way, the right side of the field was a virtual black hole most of the game.  The better part of the attack was from the left - Dest, Morris.

2 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Am I the only one that is extremely meh per Tyler Boyd?  I'm still trying to figure out the draw.  Not fast, not defensive, not quick, not good one-on-one, not tall, not physical, doesn't finish particularly well.  I don't get it.  IMO, the top, right of a 4-3-3 is about the easiest position on the field to play.  One should show out and have at least a handful of positive plays a game there.  He did have a good cross last night but, otherwise, I don't recall anything.

Poor Roldan had the worst ~ 4 minutes of play I may have seen since Jeff Agoos.  He turned the ball over twice in 5 seconds, let his mark spin away from him with the ball (leading to the goal), then turned the ball over on the kickoff.  

I think Dest and Pulisic are used to a much faster pace of play/thinking.  

Too bad we can't put Steffan's goaltending with Guzan's distribution.

Despite getting burned on the goal, I like Long.  His positioning was off a tad on the break because he had to choose between two offensive players.  That may have been part of the reason he was flat-footed in defending the scorer.

Yuell.  Jesus.  I'm not sure I've ever seen set-piece distribution NEVER get past the first defender.

I thought Morris, Cannon, and Sargent played well.  I'm assuming Roldan was the right-mid.  Either way, the right side of the field was a virtual black hole most of the game.  The better part of the attack was from the left - Dest, Morris.

A lot of our issues stem from Gerg trying to play a system that isn’t suited to the players we have. If he stays rigid to his system we’ll continue to have poor results against anyone with a pulse.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Schulz2.0 said:

A lot of our issues stem from Gerg trying to play a system that isn’t suited to the players we have. If he stays rigid to his system we’ll continue to have poor results against anyone with a pulse.

Playing out of the back isn’t that novel. I watched a team of 8 year-olds practice this in Denver this spring. 

Maybe Greg(g) is giving various people a chance before moving on to others. These games don’t mean anything, so maybe he is giving everyone plenty of rope and is letting people hang themselves until the games matter and/or he finds people who know how NOT to hang themselves with lots of rope. 

12 hours ago, Schulz2.0 said:

Which seems nuts given the way the team, practice time and games are constructed. 

By default you will not be able to implement a system because you simply don’t have the time and reps. 

It seems the logical approach is to pick a coach based on the talent you have (who would evaluate this?) or place a premium on coaches who can best adapt to the talent available and remain fluid within that adaptation. 

I’m sure this is totally wrong as I know nothing about soccer 

• 3 weeks later...

No shock her, but...

Amid Netherlands interest, Dutch-born Sergino Dest left off USMNT roster to face Cuba and Canada

Less than a month after making his senior international debut for the United States men’s national team, Netherlands-born defender Sergino Dest was left off the USMNT roster for upcoming CONCACAF Nations League games against Cuba and Canada.

Just 18 years old, Dest has broken into the starting lineup with Ajax this season, drawing interest from the Royal Dutch Football Association. According to multiple reports in the Netherlands, Oranje manager Ronald Koeman recently met with Dest to convince him to switch his international allegiance. Dest, whose father is American, has represented the U.S. at various youth levels, including at the FIFA under-20 World Cup earlier this year, but remains eligible to play for the three-time senior World Cup runner-up...

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/amid-netherlands-interest-dutchborn-sergino-dest-left-off-usmnt-roster-to-face-cuba-and-canada-150251651.html

Was just glancing at the Chelsea thread and thought that I’d look up who this Mason Mount kid is...

He’s younger than Pulisic. (20 years-old)

He’s bigger than Pulisic.(listed at 5’10” and appears to be much stronger)

He’s English and has played for every age-level of the national youth teams.

He’s come up through the Chelsea system. 

Christian isn’t going to play unless some people get hurt. He needs to get his ass to Spain... PRONTO! He can’t play in Madrid (Real nor Atletico), but he’s fast & skilled enough to fit into Barcelona’s squad, especially because he goes to the ground enough, but it’s highly unlikely he would play. He needs to go to a Valencia, Villarreal, Seville-level squad and see the field. 

It’s not going to happen at Chelsea. 

Edited by Napoleon
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

On 10/5/2019 at 1:43 AM, Napoleon said:

Was just glancing at the Chelsea thread and thought that I’d look up who this Mason Mount kid is...

He’s younger than Pulisic. (20 years-old)

He’s bigger than Pulisic.(listed at 5’10” and appears to be much stronger)

He’s English and has played for every age-level of the national youth teams.

He’s come up through the Chelsea system. 

Christian isn’t going to play unless some people get hurt. He needs to get his ass to Spain... PRONTO! He can’t play in Madrid (Real nor Atletico), but he’s fast & skilled enough to fit into Barcelona’s squad, especially because he goes to the ground enough, but it’s highly unlikely he would play. He needs to go to a Valencia, Villarreal, Seville-level squad and see the field. 

It’s not going to happen at Chelsea. 

Bullshit, honestly.

Mount doesn't generally play wide, so your first mistake.

Current wingers (age): Pedro (32), Willian (31), CHO (18), Pulisic (21)

So that is the depth in Pulisic's position. At times it is a bit more crowded when we play 3 atb, making Reece James and Alonso options.

When we play our more common 4 atb, he is looking at the depth above.

Chelsea is putting out at times the youngest team since 1994 this year putting us with little leadership at times. Pedro and Willian can provide that. In addition, he has played 5 games for us this year out of the 12. In addition, CHO, Tammy, Mount, RLC, Reece James, Tomori all came up through the academy and as such know each other's games very well. This has been used early this season to work on chemisty.

He would play infinitely less at Barcelona. A mid level squad in La Liga is a massive step down in competition.

I would be surprised if both Pedro and Willian are with the team next year leaving potentially CHO and a 32 year old Willian as the only competition for Pulisic on a team that will play a full EPL schedule, two English tournaments as well as likely a European tournament.

It's going to happen a Chelsea.

As I was saying, Goal has published this story...

'Lampard wouldn’t have signed Pulisic given the choice' - USMNT star has 'major issue' at Chelsea, says Sutton

Goal.comOctober 8, 2019, 5:16 AM PDT

Christian Pulisic would not have been targeted by Chelsea had Frank Lampard been making recruitment calls, says Chris Sutton, with the United States international facing a “major issue” at Stamford Bridge.

The 21-year-old was acquired by the Blues over the summer, with a £58 million ($71m) deal with Borussia Dortmund having been agreed in January.

Maurizio Sarri was at the helm when that move was made, but the Italian walked away from west London at the end of last season to pave the way for Lampard to return to his spiritual home.

The Chelsea legend is putting considerable faith in youth, but Pulisic is struggling to prove his worth in that system.

He is considered to be an exciting prospect, but is still finding his feet in English football and lacking competitive minutes as a result.

Former Blues striker Sutton fears Pulisic’s situation is unlikely to improve any time soon as he faces fierce competition for places and a battle to convince a coach that never really wanted him that he can play a prominent role.

“He has to prove himself,” Sutton told Radio 5 Live.

“Frank Lampard has no agenda against him, he’s picking the best possible team to win games of football, that’s his job.

“He wasn’t Frank’s signing, of course.

“With [Callum] Hudson-Odoi and Mason Mount coming to the fore, he’s going to have a major issue getting into the starting line-up. I really do think that. I don’t see a way in for him at the moment.

“Fifty-eight million, a lot of money to spend and it would be interesting to ask Frank now if he would sign him at this moment in time if he hadn’t signed him before? The answer to that, I think, is pretty obvious – he wouldn’t.

“But, there’s a reason Chelsea spent the money on him, he’s still a young man and got enormous talent, he has to go out and show it. It’s good for Frank in terms of strength in depth.”

Pulisic has been restricted to just seven appearances so far and only three Premier League starts.

He did come back into favour for a trip to Southampton on Sunday and offered Lampard a reminder of his talent, with an assist provided for Michy Batshuayi after stepping off the bench to wrap up a 4-1 win at St Mary’s.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/apos-lampard-wouldn-t-signed-121600304.html

Not that we didn’t see this coming once he began the season in the starting XI a team Ajax, but he has opened the door and seems to be standing there with all of his bags packed, just waiting to see if The Oranje will be sending a car to pick him up  

A060041-A-F8-B2-43-EC-A499-5-AFB47-F1-EF

https://www.espn.com/soccer/netherlands-ned/story/3961165/united-states-international-dest-i-always-imagined-playing-for-netherlands

Re Dest: The positive is that RB has Yedlin (when healthy) and Cannon is just barely older than Dest, so we have others playing Dest’s preferred position. 

The negative is that even playing out of place at LB, he was already the obvious starter.

I do think that Atlanta FC has an exceptional LB about Dest’s age, so losing him wouldn’t be a crippling blow, but rather somewhat upsetting that we have to drop to a solid B player rather than a B+/A- player in that position. 

3 hours ago, Napoleon said:

As I was saying, Goal has published this story...

'Lampard wouldn’t have signed Pulisic given the choice' - USMNT star has 'major issue' at Chelsea, says Sutton

Goal.comOctober 8, 2019, 5:16 AM PDT

Christian Pulisic would not have been targeted by Chelsea had Frank Lampard been making recruitment calls, says Chris Sutton, with the United States international facing a “major issue” at Stamford Bridge.

The 21-year-old was acquired by the Blues over the summer, with a £58 million ($71m) deal with Borussia Dortmund having been agreed in January.

Maurizio Sarri was at the helm when that move was made, but the Italian walked away from west London at the end of last season to pave the way for Lampard to return to his spiritual home.

The Chelsea legend is putting considerable faith in youth, but Pulisic is struggling to prove his worth in that system.

He is considered to be an exciting prospect, but is still finding his feet in English football and lacking competitive minutes as a result.

Former Blues striker Sutton fears Pulisic’s situation is unlikely to improve any time soon as he faces fierce competition for places and a battle to convince a coach that never really wanted him that he can play a prominent role.

“He has to prove himself,” Sutton told Radio 5 Live.

“Frank Lampard has no agenda against him, he’s picking the best possible team to win games of football, that’s his job.

“He wasn’t Frank’s signing, of course.

“With [Callum] Hudson-Odoi and Mason Mount coming to the fore, he’s going to have a major issue getting into the starting line-up. I really do think that. I don’t see a way in for him at the moment.

“Fifty-eight million, a lot of money to spend and it would be interesting to ask Frank now if he would sign him at this moment in time if he hadn’t signed him before? The answer to that, I think, is pretty obvious – he wouldn’t.

“But, there’s a reason Chelsea spent the money on him, he’s still a young man and got enormous talent, he has to go out and show it. It’s good for Frank in terms of strength in depth.”

Pulisic has been restricted to just seven appearances so far and only three Premier League starts.

He did come back into favour for a trip to Southampton on Sunday and offered Lampard a reminder of his talent, with an assist provided for Michy Batshuayi after stepping off the bench to wrap up a 4-1 win at St Mary’s.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/apos-lampard-wouldn-t-signed-121600304.html

Pulisic will show out whether it's at Chelsea or somewhere else. He's young and has world class potential. Even in his minutes at Chelsea he hasn't been totally lost - 4 assists on the year. 

26 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Pulisic will show out whether it's at Chelsea or somewhere else. He's young and has world class potential. Even in his minutes at Chelsea he hasn't been totally lost - 4 assists on the year. 

I agree that he will be successful, but he will need to bulk up a bit before he can be a regular contributor with a team like Chelsea, but he really only should add lower body bulk and his metabolism isn’t cooperating at this point in his life. 

In Spain, his current lack of mass wouldn’t be as much of a problem. His lack of mass is potentially a big problem in the EPL as he tires through a game, so bringing his speed on late in games allows Chelsea to exploit his quick bursts without worrying about his negatives very much, but I think that for the squad, you’d like to carry backups who can play a full 90 and not be a liability. 

Just a theory. 

15 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Fuck Lampard and Chelsea.  And I say that w/o really being a CP fanboy.

See this makes more sense. You are a scouser and your agenda is clear.

Napoleon on the other hand tries to make some media fueled rant about Pulisic and how he will never make it in the EPL with his actual agenda being aimed on his love for a second rate league in La Liga. I mean if he was clear and stated fuck the EPL, I want Pulisic in La Liga, cool. But he doesn't.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MoJames said:

See this makes more sense. You are a scouser and your agenda is clear.

Napoleon on the other hand tries to make some media fueled rant about Pulisic and how he will never make it in the EPL with his actual agenda being aimed on his love for a second rate league in La Liga. I mean if he was clear and stated fuck the EPL, I want Pulisic in La Liga, cool. But he doesn't.

22 minutes ago, WBT said:

Fuck the EPL, I want Pulisic in La Liga.  Also fuck Chelsea.

I just want Pulisic playing regularly.

He was pushed to the bench by a younger player in Germany, which is a fast and tough league, and is now lucky to make the bench in England, which is a faster and tougher league, which physical freaks. I think that physically, he is on par with David Silva, so it is possible for someone that small and slight to play in the EPL, but Silva had several years in La Liga under his belt before heading to Citeh.

The EPL isn't going away. Pulisic needs to go somewhere where he can play and where his lack of body mass isn't going to be an issue and he continues to improve. La Liga is the best place for that at the moment in my opinion. France is very technical, but is a bit more thuggy and the players are basically at a lower skill level, but higher athleticism than most players in Spain. Italy... I don't know. Maybe, but I want to see him play every week and improve his timing, his dribbling, his runs, his touch... I just think that Spain for a couple of years would be a good move. In 2021 or 2022 he can go back to England and start every important match with a top club. He's just not there yet.

20 hours ago, Napoleon said:

and is now lucky to make the bench in England

He's playing for a top 5 side... it's not like he's on the bench at Southampton. 

And it isn't like he hasn't had any production at Chelsea - he's simply part of a pool of young, very talented wingers and attackers and needs to earn his playing time. He hasn't struggled when he's played so much as he's been kind of average for a team that demands above average play when you get minutes. Many Chelsea fans, American or not, have clamored for him to play more, not less. 

Maybe La Liga would be good for him, maybe it wouldn't be. This narrative that he's a fish out of water at Chelsea or in the EPL is stupid. He's been fine, just not the 60M Euro player that Chelsea paid for - which happens to a lot of 21 year olds. If Chelsea ships him so be it, but there's nothing so far to indicate that he can't find success in the EPL. He isn't being outclassed or bullied off the pitch when he plays - he just lacks a little impact and physicality - and probably some game sense in the back two thirds of the pitch. 

• Like 1

abysmal.  pedestrian.  not fit for purpose.

and given the number of zealotrous nats people here on the surl, it speaks volumes to the state of the program that we literally collectively give zero fucks about what is technically a full international (tm jedwards).

Edited by Hagbard Celine