USMNT 2019

Napoleon

11 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

You're right. I swear I read something that said he had been riding the bench.

I thought I saw the same haha. Maybe someone had that take in this thread.

Looked it up and seems like he is getting a consistent 20 mins at the end of games. Played 30 against Valencia in the Euro cup.

I just don't understand Berhalter putting them (him and Sargent) on the U23. I want our 25 best players on our senior team whether they are getting apps or not. Iron sharpens iron and all that jazz.

That said, Zardes showed some promise last night. I still question his finishing ability but he at least understands the scheme and had a couple of nice one touch balls. 

What I don't get is slotting Morris into the starting lineup coming off an ACL tear. I'd rather we play Wood or one of the young guns. 

I also feel there is a significant gap between Pulisic and Adams and the rest of the squad. They seem like our 2 best players quite clearly.

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

What I don't get is slotting Morris into the starting lineup coming off an ACL tear. I'd rather we play Wood or one of the young guns. 

Because he's started the first 3 games of the MLS season and has 3 goals and played over 240 minutes total? He seems to be as healthy as he can get.

1 minute ago, BurdineBandit said:

Because he's started the first 3 games of the MLS season and has 3 goals and played over 240 minutes total? He seems to be as healthy as he can get.

Good for him. I wish him continued success in the MLS.

The point isn't whether he's healthy or not, it's that he hasn't gotten a national app in over a year. 

I don't want him as one of our starting forwards. We have way too much talent for that, including a kid that looks like an absolute stud in the making. It's never too early to look to 2022.

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

I thought I saw the same haha. Maybe someone had that take in this thread.

Looked it up and seems like he is getting a consistent 20 mins at the end of games. Played 30 against Valencia in the Euro cup.

I just don't understand Berhalter putting them (him and Sargent) on the U23. I want our 25 best players on our senior team whether they are getting apps or not. Iron sharpens iron and all that jazz.

That said, Zardes showed some promise last night. I still question his finishing ability but he at least understands the scheme and had a couple of nice one touch balls. 

I also feel there is a significant gap between Pulisic and Adams and the rest of the squad. They seem like our 2 best players quite clearly.

I'd rather play Morris than Wood. If Sargent isn't playing let Morris and Weah get the burn. Weah isn't there either  so that leaves us with Morris. 

1 minute ago, shnsajax said:

I'd rather play Morris than Wood. If Sargent isn't playing let Morris and Weah get the burn. Weah isn't there either  so that leaves us with Morris. 

Eh it's probably six one half a dozen the other. 

The reason Sargent and Weah weren't playing was because Berhalter left them out of the lineup. It's not like they are injured or unavailable for club reasons. I understand it might be annoying, but I'm going to keep bitching about that until we show that we can play a competent attack at an international level. 

We were lucky to get a 1-0 result last night, and Morris is the lowest hanging fruit in that lineup. 

I can forgive Arreola for missing his chance because he played a pretty damn good game outside of that. Morris was basically non existent. 

So McKennie's injury is apparently as bad as it looked.

United States' McKennie expected to miss rest of Bundesliga season

United States and Schalke midfielder Weston McKennie is expected to miss the remainder of the Bundesliga season with a left ankle injury suffered in the U.S.'s 1-0 friendly victory over Ecuador on Thursday, a source has told ESPN FC.

McKennie, 20, left that game in the 68th minute and was later ruled out of this week's friendly against Chile with what Schalke on Monday called a "ruptured" ankle ligament.

U.S. Soccer's description of the injury on Monday was not as ominous, however, stating that McKennie suffered a "moderate to high degree left ankle sprain" and was expected to "miss several weeks."

http://www.espn.com/soccer/united-states/story/3808335/united-states-mckennie-expected-to-miss-rest-of-bundesliga-season-source

Sucks for the player, obviously, but also not good for the USMNT as it probably strains the already tenuous relationship between club and country.

9 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

So McKennie's injury is apparently as bad as it looked.

http://www.espn.com/soccer/united-states/story/3808335/united-states-mckennie-expected-to-miss-rest-of-bundesliga-season-source

Sucks for the player, obviously, but also not good for the USMNT as it probably strains the already tenuous relationship between club and country.

I mean Ronaldo just got hurt for a Portugal Euro qualifier. Is Juventus bitching?

Schalke will just have to get over it. Injuries are part of the game and it would be a bad look if they prohibit McKennie or any other players from being allowed to play for their respective national teams.

Schalke has bigger issues than whether or not McKennie is playing. 1 point in their last 5 Bundesliga outings - just 3 points clear of the relegation playoff. Not to mention the ass-blasting that Man City put on them. 

Weston isn't anything more than a bandaid on a deep laceration.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

I mean Ronaldo just got hurt for a Portugal Euro qualifier. Is Juventus bitching?

Schalke will just have to get over it. Injuries are part of the game and it would be a bad look if they prohibit McKennie or any other players from being allowed to play for their respective national teams.

WTF?  I get that injuries happen, but the club is always more important than country. The World Cup is fun and all, but no player should risk his career over it.  I'm not saying that is the case in this or every situation, at least Ronaldo was injured in a qualifier, but for Schalke not to be pissed off is silly.  Only people that give a shit are Americans and they're not really important when it comes to a the clubs fans or how a Bundesliga club does business.  

Edited by Dertyberd
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Dertyberd said:

I get that injuries happen, but the club is always more important than country.

Highly subjective take, and it isn't like USMNT fans are thrilled with him almost breaking an ankle in a fairly meaningless friendly. 

Shit happens, and I guarantee both club and country are important to Weston. He has already signed an extension there into 2022. 

It's only subjective to US really.  You can't be great having the USMNT be your top priority in soccer.  Like I said, the World Cup is fun and I love our squad because we're the perpetual "mid major" going after the big guys, but greatness will come to US soccer when we have a squad of foreign playing badasses.  That happens in the CL and Europe, not friendlies or summer camps.  Schalke has a right to be very pissed.  

8 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

With how the USSF has been I wouldn't give a shit about the national team

This is also a major problem.  Our federation sucks.  

8 minutes ago, Dertyberd said:

It's only subjective to US really.

Well, he is an American, and we did just miss the World Cup for the first time in his life. 

It's never going to be his top priority - the amount of time spent at your club vs. with your country (and the financial compensation) speaks for itself. 

That said - I disagree that your club is "always" more important and that the World Cup isn't something worth risking your career over. How many players do you think would take a WC win over a CL win? I bet it's a lot. 

The World Cup is a huge deal for a lot of these players. I think you're kind of belittling it - as well as what it means to play for your country. Our best players wouldn't be playing in these friendlies if it wasn't important to them. It isn't some Sunday League match they only show up to because their buddy needed an extra player. 

17 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Well, he is an American, and we did just miss the World Cup for the first time in his life. 

It's never going to be his top priority - the amount of time spent at your club vs. with your country (and the financial compensation) speaks for itself. 

That said - I disagree that your club is "always" more important and that the World Cup isn't something worth risking your career over. How many players do you think would take a WC win over a CL win? I bet it's a lot. 

The World Cup is a huge deal for a lot of these players. I think you're kind of belittling it - as well as what it means to play for your country. Our best players wouldn't be playing in these friendlies if it wasn't important to them. It isn't some Sunday League match they only show up to because their buddy needed an extra player. 

Fair, especially in South America/US.  I'm also not trying to belittle our guys as I love that they come home to play.  They have a pride in country like few other nations and I am grateful for that.  I watch the friendlies when I can, but I'm not taking off work for a WC qualifier, but I sure as shit am for a CL quarter final.  

You can change your job, wife, and even country, but you can't change your club.  

Edited by Dertyberd

8 minutes ago, Dertyberd said:

Fair, especially in South America/US.  I'm also not trying to belittle our guys as I love that they come home to play.  They have a pride in country like few other nations and I am grateful for that.  I watch the friendlies when I can, but I'm not taking off work for a WC qualifier, but I sure as shit am for a CL quarter final.  

You can change your job, wife, and even country, but you can't change your club.  

I think something for these clubs to keep in mind with the Americans is that they are going to want to suit up and play every chance they get. Especially the young guys that have a chance to be in the starting XI. 

When Chelsea signs someone like Pulisic, they need to account for the fact that he will be doing a lot of travel between London and the US - and that he will be playing heavy minutes for country during some stretches. 

Not saying they can't be miffed when a guy rolls an ankle in a friendly, but, again, shit happens and that's the unfortunate reality of the situation. 

I also think Americans abroad show gratitude for the opportunities they are given - it seems like most of them are pretty loyal to the club that first brought them in. 

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

I think something for these clubs to keep in mind with the Americans is that they are going to want to suit up and play every chance they get. Especially the young guys that have a chance to be in the starting XI. 

When Chelsea signs someone like Pulisic, they need to account for the fact that he will be doing a lot of travel between London and the US - and that he will be playing heavy minutes for country during some stretches. 

Not saying they can't be miffed when a guy rolls an ankle in a friendly, but, again, shit happens and that's the unfortunate reality of the situation. 

I also think Americans abroad show gratitude for the opportunities they are given - it seems like most of them are pretty loyal to the club that first brought them in. 

I'm sure they're also keeping jersey sales in mind when they don't go too hard on an American player.  Lot of American youngsters without a club just waiting to find their hero's team to root for.  I'm old and see it different I guess.  The club grew you in most cases, and your heart goes to them.  It is an absolute honor though to play for your country. 

I'm also frustrated with the federation and their lack of eagerness to bend over for the better Euro players.  It was brought to my attention that Berhalter is doing everything he can to help the foreign based guys.  Well done, I hope he keeps it up.  They're the future.  

2 minutes ago, Dertyberd said:

It was brought to my attention that Berhalter is doing everything he can to help the foreign based guys.  Well done, I hope he keeps it up.

Eh.... kind of. Our roster against Ecuador was super MLS heavy. Granted our pool is MLS heavy right now, but I'm not sure what to think of leaving off Sargent and Weah. Hopefully they get a lot of run and develop in the U23s. 

1 hour ago, Dertyberd said:

They have a pride in country like few other nations and I am grateful for that.  I watch the friendlies when I can, but I'm not taking off work for a WC qualifier, but I sure as shit am for a CL quarter final.  

I wonder if this attitude is shared by fans worldwide. It doesn't seem like it is because the World Cup is the most-watched sporting event, whereas fandom for the Champions League seems primarily limited to Europeans.

Maybe I'm just backwards? Never really had a club team--MLS is shit, and I can't consciously adopt an EPL, La Liga, Bundesliga, etc. side like many have. I enjoy those matches, but international soccer has always been my focus.

I also don't think US players take any more--or less--pride in their country than athletes for any other nation. Most seem to covet donning their country's kit, even if it puts their club careers at risk.

Anyway, I'd be curious to hear from those who've spent an extensive time abroad. (Paging Nap. Nap to the white courtesy phone, please.)

Arriola | Zardes | Baird

Pulisic | Bradley | Roldan

Ream | Gonzalez | Miazga | Yedlin

Horvath

Not a very strong lineup, imo. Tired of seeing Zardes up top, but at least he's played well. Don't think much of Baird or Roldan. Hope they prove me wrong.