USMNT 2019

Napoleon

49 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

With this lineup, 1-1 against Chile (with nearly its A team) is a great result.

Yeah I was surprised we didn't concede a 2nd.

We were basically playing our B team by the end of the game. 

Zardes MOTM and can't beleive I typed that.

In the moments I was able to watch (damn 9-month sleep regression) it seemed pretty up and down. As others have pointed out, Ream is a constant liability and I have no idea why every coach we have continues to try him out. He's going to cost us games like he has before. 

I'd still like to see Adams run the midfield for this team. No idea why he was playing wingback against Ecquador or whatever position that's called in this system, but we need still need someone who can boss the middle of the field. 

All that aside, I think we have an above average coach so it's nice to see organization and a system that keeps us in games. We just need some difference makers to not get hurt. 

Did people complaining about Adams playing "right back" actually watch the game to see where he is playing on the field? Because it seems to me mostly people who aren't actually watching the game and just bitching.

Edited by goatsaag

Thought Adams looked good at right back, but it was only one game. Was also extremely impressed with Lima in his two winter caps.

I'm very grateful to Bradley for his years of service, but given his age and current form, there's no way in hell he features for us in 2022. Not sure why Berhalter keeps rolling him out there, but I'm sure he has his reasons.

Looking forward to summer camp. There's a lot of fresh young talent and it'd be ideal if they could play some meaningful matches together before the next qualification cycle begins.

On 4/1/2019 at 6:04 PM, goatsaag said:

Did people complaining about Adams playing "right back" actually watch the game to see where he is playing on the field? Because it seems to me mostly people who aren't actually watching the game and just bitching.

If Adams is playing for the USMNT and that ball is turned over by the opposition, then he doesn't make that amazing assist.

WHY?

Because Berhalter has him playing right back on a 4-man line and he's not roaming over toward the left side playing the #6 when that ball is turned over.

People are bitching for a reason. It's because Berhalter is playing him out of position and it is a detriment to the USMNT and it is pissing off fans of the squad.

Nick Lima should be playing the position that Adams played in March and Adams should be playing the #6 instead of Michael shitty fucking Bradley or Wil Trapp. Hopefully the tweaking in March was just to try out some things and that's not how Berhalter is really going to fill out his lineup in games that matter. His tactics are fine, but the lineup card is shit if you're wasting Adams at right back and you have Bradley or Trapp on the field. Bradley should never see the field again and Trapp should be riding the bench unless absolutely needed.

You should actually watch the games and see how fucked up dumping Adams in a corner is, when he is best used in the middle of the field where he can flip defense to offense in the blink of an eye.

https://sports.yahoo.com/amphtml/usmnt-depth-chart-stacking-up-each-position-after-gregg-berhalters-first-two-camps-021323719.html

What exactly is the bar for writing about the USMNT? This dude starts with a quote of Berhalter admitting we are basically playing a 4-3-3 then proceeds to list striker, LW, RW, left #10 and right #10 (whatever the fuck that is supposed to mean) all as "depth chart positions". 

He has so many guys out of position I can't even make sense of his "depth chart"

Might as well just list all 40 players #1-40

Here are a couple gems while I'm at it:

HOLDING MIDFIELDER

Wil Trapp, 26, Columbus Crew (MLS)

Michael Bradley, 31, Toronto FC (MLS)

Russell Canouse, 23, D.C. United (MLS)

Kellyn Acosta, 23, Colorado Rapids (MLS)

RIGHT WING

Jordan Morris, 24, Seattle Sounders (MLS)

DeAndre Yedlin, 25, Newcastle United (English Premier League)

Corey Baird, 23, Real Salt Lake (MLS)

Jeremy Ebobisse, 22, Portland Timbers (MLS)

giphy.gif

Edited by ztejas

This is what I would like to see assuming full health, and a non-retarded if not totally accurate positioning (stealing from wiki for convenience):

• 1 Goalkeeper - Steffen
  • 2 Right back - Lima
  • 3 Left back - Ream (unfortunately probably our best option rn...)
  • 4 Central midfielder - Adams
  • 5 Center back - Brooks/Zimmerman
  • 6 Center back - Long/Miazga
  • 7 Right winger - Roldan/Yedlin
  • 8 Central midfielder - McKennie/Lletget
  • 9 Striker - Zardes/Altidore - hopefully Sargent/Weah moving forward
  • 10 Central midfielder- Pulisic
  • 11 Left winger - Arriola/Lewis

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Napoleon said:

You should actually watch the games and see how fucked up dumping Adams in a corner is, when he is best used in the middle of the field where he can flip defense to offense in the blink of an eye.

Does this look like a guy who is trapped in the corner? Tyler Adams is a good player period but this "right back" role is not a waste of his ability.

Screen_Shot_2019_03_22_at_12.56.09_AM.png

• Like 1

7 hours ago, goatsaag said:

Does this look like a guy who is trapped in the corner? Tyler Adams is a good player period but this "right back" role is not a waste of his ability.

YES!!!

This looks like a map of someone who is stuck in a fucking corner. That corner moves up and down the right flank, but it is a fucking back right corner.

Look at his defensive touches.

Thanks for providing this map that proves that he would have been nowhere near that play on the left flank that flipped the page from Defense to Offense with one touch of the ball.

THIS MAP IS EXACTLY WHY HE SHOULD NOT BE STUCK AT RIGHT BACK!

Get him the fuck out of that hell hole and into the middle of the field.

Edited by Napoleon

19 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

YES!!!

This looks like a map of someone who is stuck in a fucking corner. That corner moves up and down the right flank, but it is a fucking back right corner.

Look at his defensive touches.

Thanks for providing this map that proves that he would have been nowhere near that play on the left flank that flipped the page from Defense to Offense with one touch of the ball.

THIS MAP IS EXACTLY WHY HE SHOULD NOT BE STUCK AT RIGHT BACK!

Get him the fuck out of that hell hole and into the middle of the field.

lol, ok. For comparison, here is Trapp:

Screen_Shot_2019_03_22_at_3.17.07_AM.png

It's almost like one of them is the left defensive mid with a left back behind them and one of them is the right defensive mid with extra right back responsibilities because the team doesn't have a right back behind him. Adams clearly has way more responsibility and freedom than being stuck in a right back role and running up and down the line providing width.

Do I think we have to continue going with this formation? No. But if we do, it isn't misusing Tyler Adams and he has tons of opportunities in this role to do the things he does best. Complaints about this are very fucking dumb at this point.

6 hours ago, goatsaag said:

Complaints about this are very fucking dumb at this point.

No, you're very fucking dumb apparently. Adams is our most talented all around player and I'm pretty comfortable in saying that. This isn't the Brazil NT where him replacing a midfielder is a marginal move - we need the ball at his feet as much as possible. 

Of course he's a good right back. Sans Pulisic he's the best player on the team. But that's not the point - we aren't talented enough to waste his ability by confining him to one side of the pitch. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, goatsaag said:

This really does not help your case. For reference, here is TA's all-touch video from their recent game. Dude is all over the park.

25 minutes ago, LurkingHorn said:

This really does not help your case. For reference, here is TA's all-touch video from their recent game. Dude is all over the park.

Great vid. Such a special player. Curious to see who snatches him up and for how much. 

5 hours ago, ztejas said:

No, you're very fucking dumb apparently. Adams is our most talented all around player and I'm pretty comfortable in saying that. This isn't the Brazil NT where him replacing a midfielder is a marginal move - we need the ball at his feet as much as possible. 

Of course he's a good right back. Sans Pulisic he's the best player on the team. But that's not the point - we aren't talented enough to waste his ability by confining him to one side of the pitch. 

The point is that you're getting too caught up on the words "right back" and missing that he is actually doing a lot more than that on the field. He isn't confined to the sideline or to defense in this "right back" position. He's in the middle of the field a ton in this role.

14 minutes ago, goatsaag said:

The point is that you're getting too caught up on the words "right back" and missing that he is actually doing a lot more than that on the field. He isn't confined to the sideline or to defense in this "right back" position. He's in the middle of the field a ton in this role.

No I'm not. You posted his run chart and it shows that, while he drifted to the middle on occasion, he was mostly confined to the right sideline that entire match. 

I already made the point a few comments up that I don't care what he plays as long as he's out there for 90 mins - but going forward he has much more to offer than where Berhalter is currently slotting him - and I don't think RB is the best spot for him.

As an analogy, for club Pulisic mostly plays down the sideline on the wing. For country his position is much closer to the middle - resembling more of a true #10 or even #9 at times - because we need him to do that.

If our side was stacked with competent mids and hold up players Adams would be a terrific mainstay at RB - but unfortunately we aren't - and what we are asking him to do right now is beneath someone that is at times clearly our best player on the pitch. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, ztejas said:

Playing out of position since they were down 1-0 with just a few mins to play. 

Just slightly less desperate than pulling the keeper.

Right.  I get that.  However, in this sequence, he's playing ahead of the entire team.  As a center back, I'm assuming he's the slowest guy on the team, which makes his positioning on this particular play odd.  I guess it worked.

19 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Right.  I get that.  However, in this sequence, he's playing ahead of the entire team.  As a center back, I'm assuming he's the slowest guy on the team, which makes his positioning on this particular play odd.  I guess it worked.

I was reading that he was a "center midfielder".

Don't know if those posters were accurate or if he plays further up than most CD.

That being said, he is much faster than Pique and Pique frequently moves up to the front line late in games when Barça needs a goal. (The fact that he started off as a striker in la Masia has a lot to do with that.)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...