USMNT 2019

Napoleon

5 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

At least they are soaking the DC fans.  In my lifetime, the US has played 3 friendlies and 0 competitive matches in North Texas.  DC has hosted a dozen internationals and 2 dozen friendlies.

Are u counting the money grab, Mexico friendlies in Dallas/Houston?

1 minute ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Actually, I believe a Gold Cup game took place in Frisco a few years ago.  Took my daughter, niece, and JamesLaw.  I believe we won 1-0.  Or maybe it was a tie.

2 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

If any rating site (ESPN, SBI, Fox... anything) rates Mihailovic over a 3 out of 10, then they are just sucking US Soccer's dick.

Just pure trash. ALL NIGHT LONG!!

Dude he wasn't that bad. He played with a lot of heart. Real special moment for him. His entire family just came down with Ebola. His first son was born 3 minutes before kick. 

46 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

If any rating site (ESPN, SBI, Fox... anything) rates Mihailovic over a 3 out of 10, then they are just sucking US Soccer's dick.

You're in luck although he didn't have the worst grade:

https://www.espn.com/soccer/club/united-states/660/blog/post/3868990/hodgepodge-us-poor-top-to-bottom-in-sorry-loss-to-jamaica

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

US matches in North Texas according to rsssf

type unknown, 16/07/1937, Dallas, USA 2 - 3 Canada

Friendly 08/09/1974, Dallas, Cotton Bowl, 22,164 USA 0-1 MEXICO [HT 0-1] Scorer: René Trujillo 36' (0-1)

Friendly 24/11/1991, Dallas, Irving Stadium, 22,787 USA 1-1 COSTA RICA [HT] Scorer: Dominic Kinnear 6' - n/a

GOLD CUP GROUP 10/07/1993, Dallas, Cotton Bowl, 11,642 USA 1-0 JAMAICA [HT 0-0] Scorer: Eric Wynalda 67' (1-0)

GOLD CUP GROUP 14/07/1993, Dallas, Cotton Bowl, 13,771 USA 2-1 PANAMA [HT 0-1] Scorers: Lester Piggott 33' (0-1), Eric Wynalda 69' (1-1), Thomas Dooley 74' (2-1)

GOLD CUP GROUP 17/07/1993, Dallas, Cotton Bowl, 16,348 USA 1-0 HONDURAS [HT 1-0] Scorer: Alexi Lalas 29' (1-0)

GOLD CUP SEMI FINAL 21/07/1993, Dallas, Cotton Bowl, 14,826 USA 1-0 COSTA RICA [HT 0-0] AET Scorer: Cle Kooiman 103' (1-0)

INTERNATIONAL FRIENDLY 25/03/1995, Dallas, Cotton Bowl, 12,242 USA 2-2 URUGUAY [HT 1-0] Scorers: John Kerr 9' (1-0), Ernie Stewart 67' (2-0), Marcelo Otero 75' (2-1), Gustavo Poyet 83' (2-2) - last 20 minutes played in lightning, last 7 minutes in hail

Friendly 28/04/2004, Dallas, Cotton Bowl, 45,048, USA W 1-0 Mexico - Pope 95' - Federation was hostile to Dallas Burn administration & refused to block manifest

Friendly 06/02/2006, Frisco, Pizza Hut Park, 14,453, USA 4-0 Guatemaulya - Olsen 38' Ching 45' Johnson 47' Klein 71' - played day after ice storm, 24 degrees at kick

Gold Cup Semi Final 22/07/2017, Deathstar, 45,516, USA 2-0 Costa Rica - obviously not a federation decision

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

US matches in North Texas according to rsssf

type unknown, 16/07/1937, Dallas, USA 2 - 3 Canada

Friendly 08/09/1974, Dallas, Cotton Bowl, 22,164 USA 0-1 MEXICO [HT 0-1] Scorer: René Trujillo 36' (0-1)

Friendly 24/11/1991, Dallas, Irving Stadium, 22,787 USA 1-1 COSTA RICA [HT] Scorer: Dominic Kinnear 6' - n/a

GOLD CUP GROUP 10/07/1993, Dallas, Cotton Bowl, 11,642 USA 1-0 JAMAICA [HT 0-0] Scorer: Eric Wynalda 67' (1-0)

GOLD CUP GROUP 14/07/1993, Dallas, Cotton Bowl, 13,771 USA 2-1 PANAMA [HT 0-1] Scorers: Lester Piggott 33' (0-1), Eric Wynalda 69' (1-1), Thomas Dooley 74' (2-1)

GOLD CUP GROUP 17/07/1993, Dallas, Cotton Bowl, 16,348 USA 1-0 HONDURAS [HT 1-0] Scorer: Alexi Lalas 29' (1-0)

GOLD CUP SEMI FINAL 21/07/1993, Dallas, Cotton Bowl, 14,826 USA 1-0 COSTA RICA [HT 0-0] AET Scorer: Cle Kooiman 103' (1-0)

INTERNATIONAL FRIENDLY 25/03/1995, Dallas, Cotton Bowl, 12,242 USA 2-2 URUGUAY [HT 1-0] Scorers: John Kerr 9' (1-0), Ernie Stewart 67' (2-0), Marcelo Otero 75' (2-1), Gustavo Poyet 83' (2-2) - last 20 minutes played in lightning, last 7 minutes in hail

Friendly 28/04/2004, Dallas, Cotton Bowl, 45,048, USA W 1-0 Mexico - Pope 95' - Federation was hostile to Dallas Burn administration & refused to block manifest

Friendly 06/02/2006, Frisco, Pizza Hut Park, 14,453, USA 4-0 Guatemaulya - Olsen 38' Ching 45' Johnson 47' Klein 71' - played day after ice storm, 24 degrees at kick

Gold Cup Semi Final 22/07/2017, Deathstar, 45,516, USA 2-0 Costa Rica - obviously not a federation decision

It was 2015.  US beat Honduras 2-1 in the group stage in Frisco.

28 minutes ago, ATLLonghorn said:

Unless Sargent said it was Gold Cup or bust US Soccer failed that kid big time by not having him play in either tournament this summer. If the plan wasn't to definitely bring him to the Gold Cup he should be playing in the U20 World Cup. 

The federation is suck a complete cluster fuck that it shouldn't surprise me. 

“5-4-1” vs other names 

From the way the team played, I’d say that they played more of a:

3-4-2-1

than a 5-4-1. (My original 3-2-2-2-1 might have been a bit much.)

i will post the roster from my computer, but quick assessment:

GOOD: Milhailovic isn’t on the roster.

BAD: Tyler Adams is listed as a “Defender”, which means that Michael Bradley will be starting in the #6 position. (This makes me rage-y.) Don’t understanding why he isn’t leading the U-20 team to the Final 4, or further, if he’s going to be played out of position.

Josh Sargent isn’t on the team. (Silver lining is that Sebastián Soto has been allowed an opportunity to shine at the U-20 WC and his performance will change his career trajectory immediately as well as his bank account.)

18 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Josh Sargent isn’t on the team. (Silver lining is that Sebastián Soto has been allowed an opportunity to shine at the U-20 WC and his performance will change his career trajectory immediately as well as his bank account.)

That is the one thing keeping me from being enraged by what they are doing with Sargent.  Soto has been great.  Hopefully he ends up in a Dortmund shirt as rumored.  

The World Cup in Qatar begins 19 November 2022, more than 3.5 years from now.

Our Federation are fucking insane.  There are a few outliers but no one over age 24 should be on this roster for a shitty hackfest about which the european market gives zero fucks, and for which we spurned a Copa invite.  Madness.

For the record, i quit MLS cold turkey on opening day 2009 and have not watched more than 10 minutes of an MLS match in 10 years.  So "NFC" next to a player means "No Fucking Clue."

gc19.png

If we just have to have Ream and Gonzalez there, then I want to see a backline with them plus Miazga and Adams.  But Gregg won't do that because that would be not playing Adams at 6 (@napoleon).

Gregg better get this right or he is going to catch a lot of shit with this roster.

The flustercuck begins and ends with Bradley in the middle which is just fucking outrageous.

Fuck our Fed.  Stewart should know better.  The idea that Soccerhouse and what I call "The Cabal" are not interfering is just ludicrous because Earnie and Gregg both know better than to have burned a third of their slots for this tournament when we have a 3.5 year greenfield opportunity to rebuild from the ground up.

Just blow the whole damn thing up. If the Confed Cup was still thing we were playing to be in then maybe I could sort of understand. But as it now stands the Gold Cup is pretty much garbage with some shitty hacking concacaf teams. And again the entire federation should have had a specific plan on how to approach this prior to the U20 WC. Either he plays in this tournament or that, no maybes. 

Another thing that really irks me is how form didn't matter to Berhalter. Not only is Jordan Morris a chicken shit who took the big fish in a small pond route instead of going to Europe, he's scored one goal since March 16 and missed Seattle's last four games with an injury. Jozy's faults have been well explained here in the past and he hasn't scored since April 13 and missed four games due to injury in that span. Omar Gonzalez has proven time and time again he has trouble running with CONCACAF forwards (speed is the one true asset CONCACAF teams tend to have) and he got benched at Atlas after the team lost five games in a row and yet he's here.

Meanwhile, Miles Robinson is 22 years old and has been an absolute BEAST for Atlanta United this year who has allowed the fewest goals in the league this year despite having a their first choice RB missing the start of the season due to injury and their first choice LB being Michael Parkhurst who is a CB and yet he can't get a sniff.

I get the aversion many of you have to having an MLS heavy roster and agree to some point, but if you're going to bring 16 of 23 players from MLS at least make it guys who are playing well.

4 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

The World Cup in Qatar begins 19 November 2022, more than 3.5 years from now.

Our Federation are fucking insane.  There are a few outliers but no one over age 24 should be on this roster for a shitty hackfest about which the european market gives zero fucks, and for which we spurned a Copa invite.  Madness.

For the record, i quit MLS cold turkey on opening day 2009 and have not watched more than 10 minutes of an MLS match in 10 years.  So "NFC" next to a player means "No Fucking Clue."

gc19.png

Dude how are you putting Pulisic as an insane choice but Adams is a "centerpiece"? Because Adams is slightly less experienced? 

They are basically the same age. They are our two best players. Either play them both or leave them out of it. Bringing one and not the other makes zero sense. 

Oh, yeah. Leaving Sargent off of both rosters is fucking retarded. Either let him play in the U20 or slot him behind Zardes/Jozy and take depth from another position that we are thin at. 

I really wouldn't be that against Berhalter getting canned already at this point. I don't know what the fuck he is seeing in practice but it isn't translating to the pitch. 

7 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Dude how are you putting Pulisic as an insane choice but Adams is a "centerpiece"? Because Adams is slightly less experienced? 

They are basically the same age. They are our two best players. Either play them both or leave them out of it. Bringing one and not the other makes zero sense. 

If I'm reading him correctly he thinks the risk of Pulisic getting hurt in a shitty tournament isn't worth any reward of him playing well.

But yes, CP should be here. Adams should be here. McKennie should be here. This tournament needs to be an opportunity to let the centerpieces of American soccer going forward play together.

3 hours ago, ztejas said:

Oh, yeah. Leaving Sargent off of both rosters is fucking retarded. Either let him play in the U20 or slot him behind Zardes/Jozy and take depth from another position that we are thin at. 

I really wouldn't be that against Berhalter getting canned already at this point. I don't know what the fuck he is seeing in practice but it isn't translating to the pitch. 

Similar sentiments regarding Berhalter, but then who? Tab Ramos is the only legitimate candidate that comes to mind.

3 hours ago, ztejas said:

The first three games against Panama, Costa Rica, and Ecuador we looked pretty good. Didn't look good against Chile with Pulisic getting hurt early and looked pretty terrible against Jamaica with a weird roster/formation. Definitely think it's way too early to be even thinking about pulling the plug on Berhalter. Will be interesting to see how the Gold Cup plays out.

I don't love the Gold Cup roster but I don't completely hate it. We'll probably see the normal 4-3-3 that really looks a lot like a 3-2-2-3 that we've played most of the time so far. Ream, Miazga, and Long/Zimmerman on the backline with Adams in his "right back" spot, Bradley/Trapp as the other defensive mid with Pulisic and McKennie as the other mids, and then Altidore up top in the middle with Arriola and Boyd/Morris on the other wing.

I'm fine with Adams in the spot that everyone hates and Bradley or Trapp as defensive mid but would put Pulisic on the wing where this roster looks really weak and start Holmes at his spot in the middle.

There has to be more to the Sargent decision.  Perhaps the kid needed a rest, or requested time off, or something.  Didn't Pulisic get a summer off a year or two ago after he first got to Dortmund?  I want to give Berhalter the benefit of the doubt; however, he already has a short history of WTF decision-making.

12 hours ago, goatsaag said:

The first three games against Panama, Costa Rica, and Ecuador we looked pretty good. Didn't look good against Chile with Pulisic getting hurt early and looked pretty terrible against Jamaica with a weird roster/formation. Definitely think it's way too early to be even thinking about pulling the plug on Berhalter. Will be interesting to see how the Gold Cup plays out.

Yes, I could stand to be more level headed. We'll see how we play with a full complement this weekend and in the gold cup. 

I'm just concerned that a year from now it's going to be right back to the drawing board. 

The Sargent decision is one of many headscratchers. It makes me wonder what is going on behind the scenes and how much autonomy Berhalter actually has.

Sargent failed to impress versus Jamaica, but that was hardly his fault given the personnel and formation in support of him. There's no way that match could've been the deciding factor, could it?

I don't put much stock in youth tournaments, but the Gold Cup is more worthless than ever, so we either should've gone all-in on the U-20 team or rolled out a senior roster without the usual veterans (Bradley, Altidore, et al.). Either would've allowed the next wave of talent to play together in a meaningful (to them) international setting--experience that could pay dividends in three years.

Instead, Berhalter and the USSF go half-ass on both. It boggles the mind.

1 minute ago, Braff Zacklin said:

The Sargent decision is one of many headscratchers. It makes me wonder what is going on behind the scenes and how much autonomy Berhalter actually has.

Sargent failed to impress versus Jamaica, but that was hardly his fault given the personnel and formation in support of him. There's no way that match could've been the deciding factor, could it?

I don't put much stock in youth tournaments, but the Gold Cup is more worthless than ever, so we either should've gone all-in on the U-20 team or rolled out a senior roster without the usual veterans (Bradley, Altidore, et al.). Either would've allowed the next wave of talent to play together in a meaningful (to them) international setting--experience that could pay dividends in three years.

Instead, Berhalter and the USSF go half-ass on both. It boggles the mind.

I don't understand "failed to impress". Did he not capitalize on a couple of chances? Sure. Was he any worse than anyone else on the pitch? No, and personally I thought he created more than anyone else. 

If the expectation was for a teenager to score/assist or bust I think that's another failure of the way we are building rosters and developing talent. It should have been obvious to anyone watching that anytime this kid touches the ball there is the potential for something special to happen. Just because it didn't happen against Jamaica, playing with a bunch of scrubs, shouldn't disqualify him from making the 23 man. And if it should, then he should have been on the U20.  

5 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

English must not be your first language.

Sorry. I disagree with "Failed to impress".

Apologies if what I wrote was absolutely incomprehensible. 

Stars and Stripes FC gave him the 2nd highest rating of anyone that took the pitch...

The SSFC player ratings:

Zack Steffen - 5.013

Omar Gonzalez - 4.121

Matt Miazga - 4.845

Antonee Robinson - 3.603

Tim Ream - 3.950

Paul Arriola - 3.770

Wil Trapp - 2.642

Jackson Yueill - 3.362

Cristian Roldan - 3.582

Djordje Mihailovic - 2.900

Josh Sargent - 5.013

Jonathan Amon - 4.343

Nick Lima - 3.738

Duane Holmes - 5.816

Cameron Carter-Vickers - 4.320

Joe Gyau - 4.130

Daniel Lovitz - 3.667

Edited by ztejas

On 6/6/2019 at 5:42 PM, ztejas said:

Dude.  Adams is not our 2nd best player _at this time_, and do you even read the comments, bro?

On 6/6/2019 at 5:46 PM, ztejas said:

Neither Zardes or Altidore should be in the setup unless and until it is proven that we need them for qualification 18 months from now and they have league form which merits their inclusion at that time.

Stewart and Berhalter are buds from the Sampson/Arena era.  And The Cabal likes them some yes men.  Not getting canned at all.  Even if we crash out of a Gold Cup group.

On 6/6/2019 at 5:51 PM, ATLLonghorn said:

If I'm reading him correctly he thinks the risk of Pulisic getting hurt in a shitty tournament isn't worth any reward of him playing well.

But yes, CP should be here. Adams should be here. McKennie should be here. This tournament needs to be an opportunity to let the centerpieces of American soccer going forward play together.

Everything you say is correct, until the moment CP's ACL get's done for him.   Chelsea are expecting their $73M investment to show up intact, tanned, rested, and ready.  Chelsea have a transfer ban.  They can sell but they can't buy.  CP will feature for a Prem Big6 side if he shows up intact.  Not doing so would significantly damage future acquisitions of potentially transcendent high-value US players by massive sides.

Sure CP wants to play, and the young core needs to play together and learn to win together.  But if that were the prime directive, Pulisic, Adams and McKennie would all be kicking off against Ecuador in Poland in 75 minutes.

Dude.  Adams is not our 2nd best player _at this time_, and do you even read the comments, bro?

Neither Zardes or Altidore should be in the setup unless and until it is proven that we need them for qualification 18 months from now and they have league form which merits their inclusion at that time.

Stewart and Berhalter are buds from the Sampson/Arena era.  And The Cabal likes them some yes men.  Not getting canned at all.  Even if we crash out of a Gold Cup group.

I question how much you've watched this team play recently. 

On 6/7/2019 at 1:31 PM, Braff Zacklin said:

Your willingness to embarrass yourself for our amusement is admirable. Thank you.

No I was just being a pedantic cunt. I was probably bored at work, we have the same take on Sargent. Not sure why I wasted words trying to split hairs. 

22 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

In US national team analysis, I question you.

Didn't you admit to not have watching Zardes play recently? Zardes has been good and should be our starting 9 imo. And this is coming from someone that has seriously doubted him in the past. 

You can question what you want, but if you aren't watching these guys actually play then it's all conjecture. 

On 6/7/2019 at 12:17 PM, ztejas said:

Sorry. I disagree with "Failed to impress".

Apologies if what I wrote was absolutely incomprehensible. 

Stars and Stripes FC gave him the 2nd highest rating of anyone that took the pitch...

The SSFC player ratings:

Djordje Mihailovic - 2.900*

*I feel vindicated with my "3 stars or lower" comment... whatever day that was.

Mihailovic is absolute trash and I'm 90% positive that he will be a centerpiece of our Olympic Qualifying Campaign. 😪

7 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

I would be interested in seeing your current ratings. 

If you look at:
-Impact on club
-Level of the league the club plays in
-How the club did this season...

Adams could currently be our "best player", not even "2nd best".

I'd assume that most people have Christian Pulisic at #1, though he's been ass for the USMNT since we crashed out against T&T and he's barely featured for Dortmund, but Weston McKennie's club sucked ass this year, he played all over the place out of necessity, and he was injured some. Adams had a much better year than Weston.

Other than: Pulisic, Adams, & McKennie, who else would even be in contention for Top 3 Best Players for the USMNT?

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

*I feel vindicated with my "3 stars or lower" comment... whatever day that was.

Mihailovic is absolute trash and I'm 90% positive that he will be a centerpiece of our Olympic Qualifying Campaign. 😪

I would be interested in seeing your current ratings. 

If you look at:
-Impact on club
-Level of the league the club plays in
-How the club did this season...

Adams could currently be our "best player", not even "2nd best".

I'd assume that most people have Christian Pulisic at #1, though he's been ass for the USMNT since we crashed out against T&T and he's barely featured for Dortmund, but Weston McKennie's club sucked ass this year, he played all over the place out of necessity, and he was injured some. Adams had a much better year than Weston.

Other than: Pulisic, Adams, & McKennie, who else would even be in contention for Top 3 Best Players for the USMNT?

Brooks when healthy. But thank you for a levelheaded take. I don't think people realize how much of a potential phenom Adams is turning into. At least, Hagbard doesn't realize that.