bigup2dahorns

58 minutes ago, cdain3 said:

I'm crossing off Bru.

Hide contents

USC mod on Bru McCoy

USC set for in-home visit with 5-star target on Sunday
VIP ByCHRIS TREVINO 2 hours ago
1 Comments

For the second consecutive season the Mater Dei Monarchs proved themselves the kings of Southern California football, knocking off No. 1 St. John Bosco in the Division 1 CIF championship 17-13 at Cerritos College on Friday night. And senior athlete Bru McCoy solidified himself as the best player in California. 

"This brings out so much emotion, having put in the work I have for years, I mean I get up at 5:15 a.m. I get home at 9 p.m," said McCoy. "I work my butt off, I've done it for four years and this how I get to go out so I couldn't be happier." 

McCoy still has one more game in his high school career with the upcoming state championship (two if you count the All-American Bowl), but his time to pick a school is coming up just as quickly. USC has been the favorite for the five-star athlete for some time, but McCoy admits he's taken a step back in recruiting during the playoffs and that applies to the Trojans. 

"With everything going on with SC, I've kinda taken a back seat, let them figure out their things," said McCoy. "I still keep my relationships, still stay in communication as best as possible. You know my mind isn't really in the place to think about what college I'm going to right now, but things are fine I'm not really worried about what's going on that happens all the time. It's college football it's a business." 

The "business" line has been common among USC targets when the topic of Clay Helton's job comes up. McCoy expanded more on that idea when asked if a coaching change would changes things for him at all. 

"I look it at like you choose a school, you don't choose a coach. Because I mean you never know what could happen, especially when you are there. I mean just as easy I could go to any school in the country and the coach gets fired," he said. "So does it affect me? Yes, but not in the way people might assume." 

McCoy, who will take his official visit to USC on Dec. 1, was also asked if the staff has communicated with him about the elephant in the room that is the possible change. 

"Not openly, they have kind of hinted at me kind of what their future looks like, just as a courtesy," said McCoy. "As a potential commit, you gotta kinda keep them a little updated and they kinda give me some insights into how things are going. I mean not much has changed." 

While it wouldn't affect McCoy much, if Helton were fired he admits it would hurt as the two have a strong relationship. 

"I mean it would hurt, but like I said you commit to a school you don't really commit to a coach," said McCoy. "That is the mindset I have." 

Sunday is the first day schools can start making in-home visits and USC is wasting little time, scheduled to sit down with McCoy and his family on Sunday night. McCoy said he isn't looking for much in terms of what USC needs to tell him. 

"Honestly not much, it's just cool to be able to experience that and have them at your house. It's different," he said. "Like I always think of (the movie) Blindside, you know when they had all the coaches coming through. Now I'm getting this experience...it's like the SC coach is in my living room. That's cool." 

McCoy wasn't entirely sure who would be coming from USC. 

"I'd image Helton and either Bryan Ellis or Tee Martin," he said.

We have known this for months. We only get him if USC completely shits the bed, fires the coaches, and then fucks up the new hire. We seem to be about halfway there on that front.

On the other hand, you could look at Helton using his in home on Sunday as potentially poisoning the well if he gets fired. The new coach would have no shot to build a relationship with the best player in state. This could be a karmic payback for Walker Little.

• Like 1

Seeing stuff on Twitter like usc fans giving the team a “tepid-at-best” applause when entering the stadium; that can’t boast well with bru. If it’s school over coach then one must realize that the students are a big part of a school. 

I’m probably reaching but damn closing with this kid would be awesome. 

10 minutes ago, nycHorn said:

I already know the answer, but any snowballs chance in hell we still talk to Bragg?

UCLA just took the lead on Stanford in the 4th. They face Cal next weekend to make up for a postponed game. If they go 6-6 on the regular season, maybe Bragg listens to Hand? I know it’s a pipe dream but I’m holding on.

Don't do this to yourself.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, BornOrange said:

It's the LONGHORN Network. It should be about all things associated with The University of Texas, and only The University of Texas.

If a kid wants to be on LHN, he or she needs to be a current student or a former student...but not a potential student.

Or a little leaguer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DoneWithit said:

Seeing stuff on Twitter like usc fans giving the team a “tepid-at-best” applause when entering the stadium; that can’t boast well with bru. If it’s school over coach then one must realize that the students are a big part of a school. 

I’m probably reaching but damn closing with this kid would be awesome. 

The state of USC football is not some new revelation to Bru right now. If he does not go to USC it is because he is concerned enough about the AD and coaching situation enough to not go to his school of choice. 

Situation is fluid, man. If they can Helton and do not hit a home run hire we have a shot. 

Edited by Newy25

30 minutes ago, nycHorn said:

I already know the answer, but any snowballs chance in hell we still talk to Bragg?

UCLA just took the lead on Stanford in the 4th. They face Cal next weekend to make up for a postponed game. If they go 6-6 on the regular season, maybe Bragg listens to Hand? I know it’s a pipe dream but I’m holding on.

If Bru goes to USC, does this Stanford shittiness help with Higgins?  

Recruits in general do not change their minds about their destinations based on one game; that's recruitnik fiction. But specific to Stanford, the factors driving players to Palo Alto extend far beyond on-the-field results. We're probably going to need Stanford to fall back to pre-Harbaugh levels to truly see a difference, although Texas winning big again will thin out that pipeline.

And as I type this out I see that Stanford beat UCLA, anyway.

Edited by Machinator

1 hour ago, futureman said:

no I think you might be right.  bragg is a texan at heart and we’re on the rise.  he’s gonna switch to the good guys, bet on it!

There’s no reason that this place needs you and Scorpio doing basically the same schtick. 

Scorpio does it better, so you should go away. 

• Like 5

Get ready for 9 months of Jumbo selling "2nd in the $EC west!"

At least he can sell recruits something tangible, since 2nd in the west is their ceiling as a program.

They are lucky they only got kentucky and South carolina from the east while somehow managing to avoid Georgia for the 7th year in a row.