Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

1 hour ago, DeweyCox said:

I think you’re every bit the bullshit artist that Lotushorn is. 

Aw shit no. closetojumping is an amateur bullshit artist. Lotus Horn is the professional.

1 hour ago, gordogg24p said:

Did we get a different Coach Mehringer on the staff and I just missed it?

Bru is practicing some stand-up philosophy right there.

44 minutes ago, Not a Sock said:

Is this an issue for just this cycle or do you see being one going forward with this staff. I imagine that might be a disconnect between how the staff felt the 2017 season went and how the 2019 recruits saw it. 

You mean the same staff that thought we were going to walk all over Maryland in 2017?

39 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Yeah, the staff may be thinking that in their second season they are going to the Sugar Bowl and playing Georgia in front of a large audience.

Is that a good thing if Georgia blows us out by 5 TDs?

5 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Chatting with my neighbor.  The strength and conditioning coach for usc about the KK higher. Turned to Bru. He basically said they got him. 

He OV'd to UCLA over the weekend.  $9.95er report.

Spoiler

Santa Ana (Calif.) Mater Dei athlete Bru McCoy took an official visit to UCLA over the weekend and said the Bruins made a big impression on him.

McCoy is the nation’s top rated athlete and currently sits as the No. 8 prospect nationally in the 247Sports Composite and No. 4 by 247Sports. Most schools like him at receiver although his upside is equally high as an outside linebacker and a few schools including Alabama offered him to play on the defensive side of the ball.

On the recruiting front, McCoy has taken official visits to Texas and Washington and was scheduled to visit USC over the weekend. When several coaches, including the Trojans OC and wide receiver coach Tee Martin, were let go, McCoy decided to push back the date of his USC visit to the 15th and took an official visit across town to UCLA.

“It was a great visit, there are a lot of pluses about the UCLA program,” McCoy said. “They have really strong alumni support and especially for the football players. I had a chance to talk to Anthony Barrearlier today and that was pretty amazing.

“We talked for about 25 minutes and he was really cool. He told me about the adjustments going from high school to college and then college to the NFL. It’s all about development and staying focused. You have to really focus on football and getting better but still make sure you grow in other areas of your life.

“As far as UCLA, he said it was the best decision he ever made. He said the alumni support is unreal and he loved being a college student there. He loved the environment and said UCLA always recruits good kids and the culture is very strong there. He didn’t play for Chip (Kelly) obviously but raved about him and said he’s the missing piece to UCLA being a national contender.”

McCoy has developed a strong relationship with coach Kelly and said he always enjoys talking with him.

“I honestly feel we have a lot in common,” McCoy said. “I think we’re a lot alike. He’s not the kind of guy that is going to ever suck up to a recruit or BS with them. He always keeps it real and doesn’t want to recruit certain types of players, no matter how good they are, if they’re not willing to work hard and buy in.

“He would ask me some questions and I would tell him what I thought and he would just smile and say, ‘I’ve never really heard someone answer that way but that’s good, that’s what I’m looking for here. UCLA got a lot better this year, that was easy to see. The last four or five games, they really improved and he played a ton of true freshman.

“He laid it out for me that nothing is given but there’s a great opportunity to come in and be an impact player right away there. He said Kyle Phillips played until he got hurt and Chase Cota played all year and they’re both true freshman. Theo Howard is coming back and he said Dorian (Thompson-Robinson) is going to be really good and I could be a big part of an offense that has a chance to be special.”

McCoy said UCLA’s strength program stood out and having a chance to see an old teammate and close friend was special as well.

“Chris Murray was my host and that’s my guy right there,” McCoy said. “I have a pretty small circle of friends that I’m really tight with and Chris is in there. I asked him straight up, what is it like at UCLA and what does he think and he said he loves it. It was a struggle for him to get to UCLA so I think it’s extra meaningful for him and he’s really thankful for the opportunity he has.

“He was like, “Bru, I’m so happy here, this place is incredible.’ He loves Westwood, he loves the football program and how much he has developed already as a player. He’s starting as a true freshman and on track to play in the NFL and have a great life for himself. He told me, ‘I’m doing this for a great coach that I love in a great city, why would you not want to come here.’ Coming from Chris, that meant a lot to me.

“As for the sport science part of the program, it’s incredible. I saw it all in the summer but coach Kelly puts so much in to their strength and nutrition program. They have the best meal plans and the best equipment with a great support staff. He monitors everything at practice, from a players energy output and his explosiveness, they track it all and then he showed me a printout where you can see all the strides every player is making. It’s really high tech and as good as you’re going to find.”

Going in to the visit , UCLA was a long shot and still has ground to make up but McCoy said he’s definitely going to give the Bruins a hard look.

“I never really saw UCLA as a serious option before and in hindsight, that was probably my fault,” McCoy said. “I never invested getting to know the program as much as I did with the other programs. I’ve been to USC a ton of times since I was young and I built really good relationships over the last year with Texas and Washington. Those are the main schools I connected with and that’s why I never really looked at UCLA as hard until recently.

“I’m not saying it’s too late, UCLA is a great school and it’s a great opportunity there. They gave me a lot to think about for sure. I wish I had gotten to know more about the program and the coaches before because they have great people there. I love Chip Kelly and Jimmy Dougherty (WR coach) is awesome too. It’s a great fit, I mean Westwood is incredible and I’m really glad I took the visit and got to learn more about the school.”

Moving forward, McCoy has a few more home visits and one more official trip left before he has to make his decision.

“Texas came in last night and that was a great visit,” McCoy said. “I spent four hours with coach Meekins and coach Mehringer. I’m closer with coach Mehringer than any other coach by far, it’s not even close. He’ll be back next Tuesday with Tom Herman.

“USC was supposed to visit me Wednesday but they pushed it back so they can come to my game on Saturday. Kliff Kingsbury, the new OC, is supposed to come to the game and I’m excited to meet him. I’ll be taking my official visit to USC next week (Dec 15) and then I’m set to commit at the All-American Game in San Antonio January 5th. I’m graduating early so I’ll be done with school pretty soon here in December. It’s crazy how fast this went but I’m excited for the next challenge and what’s ahead for me.”

My read is that he's 100% UCLA.  

5 hours ago, Machinator said:

Looks like Liebrock and Floyd fell some, Watson rose. Powell and Owens are ranked now. Not too much change among our commits, otherwise.

Floyd only fell because he was ejected twice and is currently under investigation for three more on field murders this year. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Did we get a different Coach Mehringer on the staff and I just missed it?
Ha...

On a scale of 1 to 10 following recruiting I am around a 4 or 5. Log in once a day and am 200 posts behind.

When I read that too I thought coach "meh" was trash reading previous replies as well. However, just may be a kid saying the right things and paying no attention. Who knows.

If you would like for me to tell it again let me know.

20 minutes ago, markstanco said:

Ha...

On a scale of 1 to 10 following recruiting I am around a 4 or 5. Log in once a day and am 200 posts behind.

When I read that too I thought coach "meh" was trash reading previous replies as well. However, just may be a kid saying the right things and paying no attention. Who knows.

If you would like for me to tell it again let me know.

IMO he is saying all of these nice things about Drew because he is going to SC.