Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

TFloss data dump:

Spoiler

24/7 saying Texas will see WR Elijah Higgins of Austin Bowie this week.

His recruitment could go beyond the early signing period depending on what happens with the Stanford admissions process.

/

Coach Hand started following this OL transferring out of Oregon.

https://247sports.com/Player/Jacob-Capra-75691/

/

re: Powell visit to Baylor

24/7 saying there isn't anything to be concerned about as far as Baylor goes.

At least one of Powell's high school teammates is visiting this weekend and he is thinking about tagging along, but it's not set in stone.

/

OrangeBloods saying S Chris Adimora will be taking an official to Arizona State this weekend, but they don't feel it's anything to worry about.

I think it was CTJ who said this, but Herm Edwards can be a compelling guy to kids with certain mentalities. Im not going to lose sleep, but adimora to asu for the werkend isnt something to casually dismiss. Edwards can. One across as a great mentor, espescially to kids who want to make a difference in the lives if others, he had an nfl pedigree, etc. 

41 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I think it was CTJ who said this, but Herm Edwards can be a compelling guy to kids with certain mentalities. Im not going to lose sleep, but adimora to asu for the werkend isnt something to casually dismiss. Edwards can. One across as a great mentor, espescially to kids who want to make a difference in the lives if others, he had an nfl pedigree, etc. 

Herm might be landing 4* QB Jayden Daniels and 4* DB Noa Pola-Gates if Bama doesn't want him 

16 minutes ago, Bigbend1812 said:

Yes it is.  Right around the corner.  Who all is supposed to sign early?  Most of the class so far correct? 

Shepherd and Warren are the possible NSD2 candidates of our current commits. I think there were rumors that Tyler Owens would wait as well, but I think we convinced him to sign early.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NoName said:

TFloss data dump:

Hide contents

24/7 saying Texas will see WR Elijah Higgins of Austin Bowie this week.

His recruitment could go beyond the early signing period depending on what happens with the Stanford admissions process.

/

Coach Hand started following this OL transferring out of Oregon.

https://247sports.com/Player/Jacob-Capra-75691/

/

re: Powell visit to Baylor

24/7 saying there isn't anything to be concerned about as far as Baylor goes.

At least one of Powell's high school teammates is visiting this weekend and he is thinking about tagging along, but it's not set in stone.

/

OrangeBloods saying S Chris Adimora will be taking an official to Arizona State this weekend, but they don't feel it's anything to worry about.

Jacob Capra

7831181.jpg?fit=crop&width=100

I burst out in laughter. But I trust in Hand, maybe a potential C replacement after Shackelford graduates.

• Like 1

Huge EJ update on remaining targets. Sorry don’t know how to do the spoiler hide thing

With recruiting season in full swing, here are 40 tidbits ahead of the early singing period.

— Things are starting to really get interesting with five-star IMG Academy (Fla.) running back Trey Sanders. Both offensive coordinator Tim Beck and running backs Stan Drayton made an in-home visit with Sanders earlier this week and really wowed him.

Of course, Sanders has a strong relationship with Drayton, but it was genius to have Beck join him as he is one of the better recruiters on staff and gave Sanders a broader view of the way he would be utilized in the offense. Like I’ve said in the past, Sanders loves Texas, and the Longhorns have done enough to win him over.

— We have been consistent about Sanders’ parents, who reside in northern Florida, wanting him closer to home. In fact, when I spoke to Sanders’ father at The Opening, he really downplayed his son’s interest in moving to Austin.

However, since their September official visit, they have been growing more and more comfortable with Sanders playing his college ball at Texas. And wait for it…

— According to a source, following their in-home visit with Texas this week, the Sanders family is fully on board with the Longhorns. This is a major development in this recruitment, and there seems to be growing optimism with Sanders. It will be interesting to see how things shake out once Herman makes an in-home next week.

— Alabama should still be considered the frontrunner in this recruitment for now. Sanders was originally committed to the Crimson Tide, and the family has known the staff for years. On top of that, I have reason to believe Alabama was absolutely going to be the pick before his Texas OV in September. There is no doubt Texas is giving Nick Saban and company a run. This race is much tighter than it may seem on the surface. And again, winning over his parents was key, as Sanders has always personally loved Texas.

— Alabama offensive coordinator Mike Locksley is heading to Maryland to take over as head coach. Will that have any affect on Sanders? I’m hearing that it is something the family is weighing and has been brought up over the last 48 hours. This is a prime opportunity for Texas to continue selling offensive improvement, Drayton’s resume and the need for a feature back. Locksley was very involved in Sanders’ recruitment, and the change couldn’t have come at a better time for UT.

— Sanders and fellow elite IMG Academy (Fla.) running back Noah Cain did talk about playing together at the next level, but I just don't see it happening. They both really like LSU and Texas, but the Tigers have two backs in the fold and the Longhorns hold a commitment from Derrian Brown. Cain doesn’t want to be part of a three-back class. It would be shocking to see them sign with the same school.

(Photo: @6sixGod_)

— The other schools in the mix for Sanders are Florida, Florida State and Georgia. I put in a Florida Crystal Ball pick a long time ago when they signed his brother and have never changed it — I won’t until I have a really good idea of where he is going. I have still heard a bit of Florida buzz, but the Gators are behind Texas from what I have been able to gather. Sanders did make an official visit to Florida State, but there hasn’t been much movement there, and it looks like he will use his last OV on Georgia. But I haven’t heard much on Sanders and the Bulldogs.

— Sanders and five-star Mater Dei (Calif.) athlete Bru McCoy have joked around on Twitter about teaming up at the next level. But it’s not just fun and games. Sanders and McCoy have had real conversations about playing together at Texas. They know they could leave their respective homes and be superstars in Austin from the moment they step foot on the Forty Acres. They had a chance to bond and get to know each other during their visit for the game against USC game.

— Let’s switch gears and go in-depth on McCoy. Nothing has changed on the Texas side. There still appears to be plenty of cautious optimism, and UT wide receivers coach Drew Mehringer did an amazing job on the in-home visit this week. Mehringer met with the family for several hours and really connected with them. Out of all the coaches recruiting McCoy, Mehringer might have the closest relationship to him, especially after USC fired his lead recruiter, Tee Martin. The McCoy family feels comfortable with the Texas staff and have been open about legitimately being fine with seeing their son leave home.

— I exchanged messages with McCoy’s mother, Shelby, who had this to say about the Texas in-home visit: “The visit went great. Bru really loves the Texas coaches. Coach Mehringer and Bru have a great connection. I’m looking forward to having them back next week (smiley emoji).” Mehringer and head coach Tom Herman are slated to meet with the McCoy family on Tuesday.

— We’ve somewhat been underselling Herman’s involvement in this recruitment. While Mehringer is running point, Herman has been working hard on McCoy behind the scenes and also has an extremely close relationship with him. Herman is originally from California and played his college ball at Cal Lutheran. He knows how to relate to kids out West as evidenced by his success out there this cycle. Herman has made a huge impression on McCoy and has made himself extremely accessible for him and his family.

(Photo: © John Gutierrez, USA TODAY Sports)

— The play of Lil'Jordan Humphrey and Collin Johnson, a California native, is definitely a big selling point for McCoy. Both are bigger receivers that had amazing seasons in UT’s offensive scheme. McCoy is a similar type of player and could have an even bigger impact. While some see McCoy eventually moving to linebacker, he is focused on being a star at the receiver position. Texas is giving him the keys to come in and do whatever he wants to do in this offense — with success. But again, the biggest selling point for Texas is relationships.

— Kliff Kingsbury is in Los Angeles. Let’s close the book and move on. Look guys, that’s not how the Texas staff is feeling and neither should you. Kingsbury was a tremendous hire for USC, and he has a chance to be a coaching superstar. He will improve the offense and can sell what Patrick Mahomes is doing in the NFL. But there is still plenty of uncertainty at USC. Clay Helton remains on the hot seat, and Kingsbury is sure to have more intriguing options come his way after next season. On top of that, Kingsbury has no preexisting relationship with McCoy. Again, the fired Martin was his lead recruiter.

— Kingsbury is young and a great recruiter. But he only has a month to build a relationship with McCoy. Kingsbury will see McCoy at his game on Saturday and will spend extended time with him on his official visit on Dec. 14. As stated, Herman will get his shot with McCoy between those two meetings. The lack of a current relationship and the time crunch should give reason for optimism.

— I’ll end the McCoy section with something I was told: McCoy and his family love Texas and have given every indication that they want to pick Texas. But they have to convince themselves of spurning USC. Remember, USC was a childhood dream school for McCoy, the family lives a short drive away from campus, and his father has great relationships around the program, including with AD Lynn Swann. The same could pretty much be said for the aforementioned Sanders.

— Actually, here is one more note on McCoy. As you all should know by know, McCoy is really close to Texas commit De'Gabriel Floyd, who is setting the standard and giving elite California recruits that you can pass up USC and create a legacy at a place like Texas. Floyd is working extremely hard on McCoy and is having success. Texas quarterback Cameron Rising, another California native, has also been involved.

(Photo: Luke Stampini, 247Sports)

— Let’s move onto Noah Cain. Herman made an in-home visit with him and his mother immediately after coaching in the Big 12 title game. Remember, Cain’s mother still lives in Dallas, and Herman wanted to make sure to meet with them together before Cain got back on a plane to Florida. The visit was an overwhelming success as Cain and his mother got all their remaining questions answered. Cain loves the Texas staff, and the fact that he attended the Big 12 title game on his own dime speaks volumes.

— I caught up with Cain during his training session with Christian White aka Coach Flight, who works with some of the best defensive backs in the country and also trains running backs. White has actually trained Texas defensive backs Caden Sterns, Kobe Boyceand Josh Thompson as well as Texas safety commit Tyler Owens. By the way, key defensive back target Jalen Catalon also trains with him. White isn’t going to push guys one way or another, but the fact that he has so many Texas guys around his circle can only help.

— The Cain recruitment is still really murky. While we’ve seemed pretty confident on the surface, there have just been so many moving parts that I’m just not sure right now, and I don’t think any staff is. Cain was supposed to have made a silent commitment by now and still hasn’t. He is weighing his options extremely carefully. Right now, I’m actually hearing a bit more Penn State buzz than Georgia, but they are both big threats.

— Georgia actually countered Herman and made an in-home visit with Cain and his mother the day before his flight back. They have been selling their running back history with guys like Todd Gurley and Sonny Michel, and that definitely has Cain’s attention.

— Penn State has always been there and has a strong bond with Cain. We were actually told by a source before the start of the season that Penn State had the overall advantage. He loves the offensive system and envisions himself being used the same way as Saquon Barkley.

— It’s funny, but I think I’m gaining more confidence with Sanders and losing a bit with Cain. Both recruitments are going to be extremely interesting to follow over the next couple of weeks as they are both set to make their decisions on Dec. 19. I’m not sure on Sanders, but Cain wants to inform staffs of his decision by late next week. We should have a better idea of where things stand then.

(Photo: Billy Embody, 247Sports)

— We haven’t talked a ton about four-star wide receiver Elijah Higgins. I know Higgins well, and I just think the recruiting process is weighing on him. Texas has done a good job of recruiting him hard but keeping its distance at the same time. Nothing is set in stone, but I expect Mehringer to make an in-home visit before the end of the week.

— Higgins still loves Stanford, and right now, I would give the overall edge to the Cardinal. But as I reported yesterday, there are still some moving parts with the admissions process. If things don’t work out with Stanford, Texas is in a prime position to steal Higgins and keep him closer to home. This one is in wait and see mode as Higgins has no decision timetable.

— There is nothing going on with Jake Smith. One of the most important commits in the class, Smith is fully locked in with the Longhorns and will sign during the early period. Beck had a great in-home visit with him and his father this week, and both told me they are sold and can’t wait to be in Austin.

— The remaining target that I’m most confident in Texas landing is Fort Bend Dulles offensive lineman Isaiah Hookfin. Hand made an in-home visit with him on Tuesday, and I’m told the Longhorns are the clear leaders in his recruitment. From talking to sources, Hookfin is viewed in the same mold as Samuel Cosmi. He could end up being a steal for the Longhorns as he was one of the cycle biggest late bloomers. Hookfin will make his official visit to Texas on Dec. 14 and decide soon after. Baylor and Minnesota are the other two teams involved.

— I’m also feeling really confident in the recruitment of JUCO inside linebacker Caleb Johnson. Texas defensive coordinator Todd Orlando had a great in-home visit with Johnson this week, and Herman will be out there to meet with him next week. Oregon was a childhood dream school but from what I was able to gather, the Ducks didn’t do enough to overtake Texas on his weekend OV. Oregon has plenty of linebacker commits this cycle, and Texas did a terrific job of selling scheme fit and depth chart.

— The most important thing to Johnson in his recruitment is relationships. While Oregon offered late, Texas was always a constant in his recruitment. Johnson has a tight relationship with Orlando and also loves Herman. Johnson is originally from California and told me he loves Herman’s vibe and understanding of kids in the state. He also hit it off with Texas linebacker and fellow JUCO product Gary Johnson on his Texas OV. Caleb sees himself in the same mold.

— The only offered target other than Cain that Herman made an in-home visit with was four-star Mansfield Legacy defensive back Jalen Catalon. He, along with Texas safeties coach Craig Naivar, did a nice job addressing questions that Catalon and his family had. Catalon already had a great relationship with the staff, but his parents actually haven’t been to campus very often. This in-home helped them get to know Herman and Naivar on a more personal basis. Still, the Longhorns are playing catch up here and will need to hit a homerun on his OV next weekend.

— From talking to a source on the Arkansas side, there is overwhelming confidence with Catalon in Fayetteville. Catalon and his parents have a close, personal relationship with Arkansas head coach Chad Morris and share a lot of the same religious values. By the way, Morris’ sister, Michelle, is actually the girls basketball coach at Catalon’s high school. On top of that, Arkansas has two of his teammates committed in defensive linemen Enoch Jackson and Taurean Carter. While Arkansas struggled on the field, Morris has done an excellent job in this recruitment.

— TCU is still hanging around in the Catalon recruitment. His parents have always like the program, and it’s extremely close to home. And I’m told they really want him in the vicinity hence why his finalists are regional schools. Catalon may make an official visit to TCU in January, which could delay his decision timeframe.

— My Crystal Ball for Catalon is still on Texas, but it could be moving to Arkansas if the Longhorns aren’t able to create any real momentum next week. I actually wanted to change it shortly after his Arkansas OV, but I’ve had it in for Texas for so long. I think Texas has done enough with Catalon personally, but there is still a lot of work to do with his parents. That sounds a bit like the Sanders situation, but they have bought in. Catalon’s parents aren’t close just yet. I can’t state how important this OV is.

— Could Texas earn a commitment this weekend? It’s possible. The Longhorns are brining in JUCO offensive lineman Jay Williamsthis weekend, and I put in a Crystal Ball pick. While Texas hasn’t offered, there doesn’t appear to be much movement with Myron Cunningham, and Williams may be the next man up. Hand made an in-home visit with Williams on Monday and set up the OV. Williams has some other big offers, but I’ve heard Texas can easily jump into the pole position with a successful weekend.

— There have been a lot of questions about TCU offensive lineman Andrew Coker. Right now, Texas is still working on him and should see him on the road this week. Coker may make an official visit but nothing is set in stone. The Longhorns would still love to have him. And yes, they would take him, Hookfin and a JUCO prospect.

— After landing Calvin Anderson a year ago, Texas looks to be testing the market for offensive line graduate transfers. Butler product Tommy Kennedy is starting to earn plenty of interest, and Hand is set to meet with him today. Kennedy has interest in the program and would love to visit. With Demariyon Houston off the board, it opened up another spot for the Longhorns in the trenches. I’m told they are happy with wide receiver numbers.

— DeMarvin Leal, man. Look, I don’t expect Texas to flip the five-star Texas A&M defensive line commit before the end of the cycle. Heck, Texas might not even get a visit. But there isn’t a zero percent chance here. Texas did open some eyes with its season, and both Oscar Giles and Jason Washington have been in contact. I’m told his mother still loves Texas and would be open to visiting one last time. But I’m also told it’s going to be Leal’s call, and he loves Texas A&M. Right now, I’m expecting him to stick with the Aggies.

— Herman and Washington made an in-home visit with four-star cornerback commit Kenyatta Watson II on Wednesday. Everything is perfectly fine here. While there was some drama after Texas hosted Kaiir Elam and Marcus Banks this season, the Longhorns did a nice job of defusing the situation and answering the family’s questions. Watson is locked in and will sign during the early period.

— Herman and Washington also made an in-home visit with four-star running back commit Derrian Brown on Wednesday. Brown has been solid to Texas since committing in September, and the Longhorns have nothing to worry about here. Next up for Herman is an in-home visit with four-star wide receiver commit Marcus Washington, who is also solid.

— Who will Texas pair with Brown if they miss on the elites? We’ve mentioned DJ Williams, but Miami seems to be in a great spot, and Alabama and Georgia are actively recruiting him as well. That should tell you that they aren’t overly confident about Sanders and Cain, respectively. Texas may get him for an official visit, but it’s not scheduled. JUCO running back Rhamondre Stevenson, a May grad, could be the next man up, and it wouldn’t be surprising to see him make an OV as well.

— Does Texas have a shot at Garrett Wilson? While Urban Meyer did retire, the Buckeyes promoted from within, and Wilson is originally from Ohio. I don’t expect him to waver, but it is recruiting, and I’m sure Texas has reached out. Right now, however, I wouldn’t give the Longhorns more than a five percent chance.

Edited by RGBIII
  • Like 8

15 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Huge EJ update on remaining targets. Sorry don’t know how to do the spoiler hide thing

With recruiting season in full swing, here are 40 tidbits ahead of the early singing period.

— Things are starting to really get interesting with five-star IMG Academy (Fla.) running back Trey Sanders. Both offensive coordinator Tim Beck and running backs Stan Drayton made an in-home visit with Sanders earlier this week and really wowed him.

Of course, Sanders has a strong relationship with Drayton, but it was genius to have Beck join him as he is one of the better recruiters on staff and gave Sanders a broader view of the way he would be utilized in the offense. Like I’ve said in the past, Sanders loves Texas, and the Longhorns have done enough to win him over.

— We have been consistent about Sanders’ parents, who reside in northern Florida, wanting him closer to home. In fact, when I spoke to Sanders’ father at The Opening, he really downplayed his son’s interest in moving to Austin.

However, since their September official visit, they have been growing more and more comfortable with Sanders playing his college ball at Texas. And wait for it…

— According to a source, following their in-home visit with Texas this week, the Sanders family is fully on board with the Longhorns. This is a major development in this recruitment, and there seems to be growing optimism with Sanders. It will be interesting to see how things shake out once Herman makes an in-home next week.

— Alabama should still be considered the frontrunner in this recruitment for now. Sanders was originally committed to the Crimson Tide, and the family has known the staff for years. On top of that, I have reason to believe Alabama was absolutely going to be the pick before his Texas OV in September. There is no doubt Texas is giving Nick Saban and company a run. This race is much tighter than it may seem on the surface. And again, winning over his parents was key, as Sanders has always personally loved Texas.

— Alabama offensive coordinator Mike Locksley is heading to Maryland to take over as head coach. Will that have any affect on Sanders? I’m hearing that it is something the family is weighing and has been brought up over the last 48 hours. This is a prime opportunity for Texas to continue selling offensive improvement, Drayton’s resume and the need for a feature back. Locksley was very involved in Sanders’ recruitment, and the change couldn’t have come at a better time for UT.

— Sanders and fellow elite IMG Academy (Fla.) running back Noah Cain did talk about playing together at the next level, but I just don't see it happening. They both really like LSU and Texas, but the Tigers have two backs in the fold and the Longhorns hold a commitment from Derrian Brown. Cain doesn’t want to be part of a three-back class. It would be shocking to see them sign with the same school.

— The other schools in the mix for Sanders are Florida, Florida State and Georgia. I put in a Florida Crystal Ball pick a long time ago when they signed his brother and have never changed it — I won’t until I have a really good idea of where he is going. I have still heard a bit of Florida buzz, but the Gators are behind Texas from what I have been able to gather. Sanders did make an official visit to Florida State, but there hasn’t been much movement there, and it looks like he will use his last OV on Georgia. But I haven’t heard much on Sanders and the Bulldogs.

— Sanders and five-star Mater Dei (Calif.) athlete Bru McCoy have joked around on Twitter about teaming up at the next level. But it’s not just fun and games. Sanders and McCoy have had real conversations about playing together at Texas. They know they could leave their respective homes and be superstars in Austin from the moment they step foot on the Forty Acres. They had a chance to bond and get to know each other during their visit for the game against USC game.

— Let’s switch gears and go in-depth on McCoy. Nothing has changed on the Texas side. There still appears to be plenty of cautious optimism, and UT wide receivers coach Drew Mehringer did an amazing job on the in-home visit this week. Mehringer met with the family for several hours and really connected with them. Out of all the coaches recruiting McCoy, Mehringer might have the closest relationship to him, especially after USC fired his lead recruiter, Tee Martin. The McCoy family feels comfortable with the Texas staff and have been open about legitimately being fine with seeing their son leave home.

— I exchanged messages with McCoy’s mother, Shelby, who had this to say about the Texas in-home visit: “The visit went great. Bru really loves the Texas coaches. Coach Mehringer and Bru have a great connection. I’m looking forward to having them back next week (smiley emoji).” Mehringer and head coach Tom Herman are slated to meet with the McCoy family on Tuesday.

— We’ve somewhat been underselling Herman’s involvement in this recruitment. While Mehringer is running point, Herman has been working hard on McCoy behind the scenes and also has an extremely close relationship with him. Herman is originally from California and played his college ball at Cal Lutheran. He knows how to relate to kids out West as evidenced by his success out there this cycle. Herman has made a huge impression on McCoy and has made himself extremely accessible for him and his family.

— The play of Lil'Jordan Humphrey and Collin Johnson, a California native, is definitely a big selling point for McCoy. Both are bigger receivers that had amazing seasons in UT’s offensive scheme. McCoy is a similar type of player and could have an even bigger impact. While some see McCoy eventually moving to linebacker, he is focused on being a star at the receiver position. Texas is giving him the keys to come in and do whatever he wants to do in this offense — with success. But again, the biggest selling point for Texas is relationships.

— Kliff Kingsbury is in Los Angeles. Let’s close the book and move on. Look guys, that’s not how the Texas staff is feeling and neither should you. Kingsbury was a tremendous hire for USC, and he has a chance to be a coaching superstar. He will improve the offense and can sell what Patrick Mahomes is doing in the NFL. But there is still plenty of uncertainty at USC. Clay Helton remains on the hot seat, and Kingsbury is sure to have more intriguing options come his way after next season. On top of that, Kingsbury has no preexisting relationship with McCoy. Again, the fired Martin was his lead recruiter.

— Kingsbury is young and a great recruiter. But he only has a month to build a relationship with McCoy. Kingsbury will see McCoy at his game on Saturday and will spend extended time with him on his official visit on Dec. 14. As stated, Herman will get his shot with McCoy between those two meetings. The lack of a current relationship and the time crunch should give reason for optimism.

— I’ll end the McCoy section with something I was told: McCoy and his family love Texas and have given every indication that they want to pick Texas. But they have to convince themselves of spurning USC. Remember, USC was a childhood dream school for McCoy, the family lives a short drive away from campus, and his father has great relationships around the program, including with AD Lynn Swann. The same could pretty much be said for the aforementioned Sanders.

— Actually, here is one more note on McCoy. As you all should know by know, McCoy is really close to Texas commit De'Gabriel Floyd, who is setting the standard and giving elite California recruits that you can pass up USC and create a legacy at a place like Texas. Floyd is working extremely hard on McCoy and is having success. Texas quarterback Cameron Rising, another California native, has also been involved.

— Let’s move onto Noah Cain. Herman made an in-home visit with him and his mother immediately after coaching in the Big 12 title game. Remember, Cain’s mother still lives in Dallas, and Herman wanted to make sure to meet with them together before Cain got back on a plane to Florida. The visit was an overwhelming success as Cain and his mother got all their remaining questions answered. Cain loves the Texas staff, and the fact that he attended the Big 12 title game on his own dime speaks volumes.

— I caught up with Cain during his training session with Christian White aka Coach Flight, who works with some of the best defensive backs in the country and also trains running backs. White has actually trained Texas defensive backs Caden Sterns, Kobe Boyceand Josh Thompson as well as Texas safety commit Tyler Owens. By the way, key defensive back target Jalen Catalon also trains with him. White isn’t going to push guys one way or another, but the fact that he has so many Texas guys around his circle can only help.

— The Cain recruitment is still really murky. While we’ve seemed pretty confident on the surface, there have just been so many moving parts that I’m just not sure right now, and I don’t think any staff is. Cain was supposed to have made a silent commitment by now and still hasn’t. He is weighing his options extremely carefully. Right now, I’m actually hearing a bit more Penn State buzz than Georgia, but they are both big threats.

— Georgia actually countered Herman and made an in-home visit with Cain and his mother the day before his flight back. They have been selling their running back history with guys like Todd Gurley and Sonny Michel, and that definitely has Cain’s attention.

— Penn State has always been there and has a strong bond with Cain. We were actually told by a source before the start of the season that Penn State had the overall advantage. He loves the offensive system and envisions himself being used the same way as Saquon Barkley.

— It’s funny, but I think I’m gaining more confidence with Sanders and losing a bit with Cain. Both recruitments are going to be extremely interesting to follow over the next couple of weeks as they are both set to make their decisions on Dec. 19. I’m not sure on Sanders, but Cain wants to inform staffs of his decision by late next week. We should have a better idea of where things stand then.

— We haven’t talked a ton about four-star wide receiver Elijah Higgins. I know Higgins well, and I just think the recruiting process is weighing on him. Texas has done a good job of recruiting him hard but keeping its distance at the same time. Nothing is set in stone, but I expect Mehringer to make an in-home visit before the end of the week.

— Higgins still loves Stanford, and right now, I would give the overall edge to the Cardinal. But as I reported yesterday, there are still some moving parts with the admissions process. If things don’t work out with Stanford, Texas is in a prime position to steal Higgins and keep him closer to home. This one is in wait and see mode as Higgins has no decision timetable.

— There is nothing going on with Jake Smith. One of the most important commits in the class, Smith is fully locked in with the Longhorns and will sign during the early period. Beck had a great in-home visit with him and his father this week, and both told me they are sold and can’t wait to be in Austin.

— The remaining target that I’m most confident in Texas landing is Fort Bend Dulles offensive lineman Isaiah Hookfin. Hand made an in-home visit with him on Tuesday, and I’m told the Longhorns are the clear leaders in his recruitment. From talking to sources, Hookfin is viewed in the same mold as Samuel Cosmi. He could end up being a steal for the Longhorns as he was one of the cycle biggest late bloomers. Hookfin will make his official visit to Texas on Dec. 14 and decide soon after. Baylor and Minnesota are the other two teams involved.

— I’m also feeling really confident in the recruitment of JUCO inside linebacker Caleb Johnson. Texas defensive coordinator Todd Orlando had a great in-home visit with Johnson this week, and Herman will be out there to meet with him next week. Oregon was a childhood dream school but from what I was able to gather, the Ducks didn’t do enough to overtake Texas on his weekend OV. Oregon has plenty of linebacker commits this cycle, and Texas did a terrific job of selling scheme fit and depth chart.

— The most important thing to Johnson in his recruitment is relationships. While Oregon offered late, Texas was always a constant in his recruitment. Johnson has a tight relationship with Orlando and also loves Herman. Johnson is originally from California and told me he loves Herman’s vibe and understanding of kids in the state. He also hit it off with Texas linebacker and fellow JUCO product Gary Johnson on his Texas OV. Caleb sees himself in the same mold.

— The only offered target other than Cain that Herman made an in-home visit with was four-star Mansfield Legacy defensive back Jalen Catalon. He, along with Texas safeties coach Craig Naivar, did a nice job addressing questions that Catalon and his family had. Catalon already had a great relationship with the staff, but his parents actually haven’t been to campus very often. This in-home helped them get to know Herman and Naivar on a more personal basis. Still, the Longhorns are playing catch up here and will need to hit a homerun on his OV next weekend.

— From talking to a source on the Arkansas side, there is overwhelming confidence with Catalon in Fayetteville. Catalon and his parents have a close, personal relationship with Arkansas head coach Chad Morris and share a lot of the same religious values. By the way, Morris’ sister, Michelle, is actually the girls basketball coach at Catalon’s high school. On top of that, Arkansas has two of his teammates committed in defensive linemen Enoch Jackson and Taurean Carter. While Arkansas struggled on the field, Morris has done an excellent job in this recruitment.

— TCU is still hanging around in the Catalon recruitment. His parents have always like the program, and it’s extremely close to home. And I’m told they really want him in the vicinity hence why his finalists are regional schools. Catalon may make an official visit to TCU in January, which could delay his decision timeframe.

— My Crystal Ball for Catalon is still on Texas, but it could be moving to Arkansas if the Longhorns aren’t able to create any real momentum next week. I actually wanted to change it shortly after his Arkansas OV, but I’ve had it in for Texas for so long. I think Texas has done enough with Catalon personally, but there is still a lot of work to do with his parents. That sounds a bit like the Sanders situation, but they have bought in. Catalon’s parents aren’t close just yet. I can’t state how important this OV is.

— Could Texas earn a commitment this weekend? It’s possible. The Longhorns are brining in JUCO offensive lineman Jay Williamsthis weekend, and I put in a Crystal Ball pick. While Texas hasn’t offered, there doesn’t appear to be much movement with Myron Cunningham, and Williams may be the next man up. Hand made an in-home visit with Williams on Monday and set up the OV. Williams has some other big offers, but I’ve heard Texas can easily jump into the pole position with a successful weekend.

— There have been a lot of questions about TCU offensive lineman Andrew Coker. Right now, Texas is still working on him and should see him on the road this week. Coker may make an official visit but nothing is set in stone. The Longhorns would still love to have him. And yes, they would take him, Hookfin and a JUCO prospect.

— After landing Calvin Anderson a year ago, Texas looks to be testing the market for offensive line graduate transfers. Butler product Tommy Kennedy is starting to earn plenty of interest, and Hand is set to meet with him today. Kennedy has interest in the program and would love to visit. With Demariyon Houston off the board, it opened up another spot for the Longhorns in the trenches. I’m told they are happy with wide receiver numbers.

— DeMarvin Leal, man. Look, I don’t expect Texas to flip the five-star Texas A&M defensive line commit before the end of the cycle. Heck, Texas might not even get a visit. But there isn’t a zero percent chance here. Texas did open some eyes with its season, and both Oscar Giles and Jason Washington have been in contact. I’m told his mother still loves Texas and would be open to visiting one last time. But I’m also told it’s going to be Leal’s call, and he loves Texas A&M. Right now, I’m expecting him to stick with the Aggies.

— Herman and Washington made an in-home visit with four-star cornerback commit Kenyatta Watson II on Wednesday. Everything is perfectly fine here. While there was some drama after Texas hosted Kaiir Elam and Marcus Banks this season, the Longhorns did a nice job of defusing the situation and answering the family’s questions. Watson is locked in and will sign during the early period.

— Herman and Washington also made an in-home visit with four-star running back commit Derrian Brown on Wednesday. Brown has been solid to Texas since committing in September, and the Longhorns have nothing to worry about here. Next up for Herman is an in-home visit with four-star wide receiver commit Marcus Washington, who is also solid.

— Who will Texas pair with Brown if they miss on the elites? We’ve mentioned DJ Williams, but Miami seems to be in a great spot, and Alabama and Georgia are actively recruiting him as well. That should tell you that they aren’t overly confident about Sanders and Cain, respectively. Texas may get him for an official visit, but it’s not scheduled. JUCO running back Rhamondre Stevenson, a May grad, could be the next man up, and it wouldn’t be surprising to see him make an OV as well.

— Does Texas have a shot at Garrett Wilson? While Urban Meyer did retire, the Buckeyes promoted from within, and Wilson is originally from Ohio. I don’t expect him to waver, but it is recruiting, and I’m sure Texas has reached out. Right now, however, I wouldn’t give the Longhorns more than a five percent chance.

Glad we're back to errybody

19 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Yeah ej is kinda down playing the hire of KK. The family loves Helton; he hired bru a proven offensive mind and that’s all they needed. But the sanders news does sound promising, especially Beck going to visit and Herman later. Sounds like they are in with equal interest from both party’s. 

3 minutes ago, golfclap said:

It's almost like someone (or perhaps a certain duo) under Terry has got a different agenda ...  

This is where I am going to point out that in the 247 ranking first update after decomm from Aggy Bobby Wolfe fell 124 spots after his meteoric rise, just 3 days after his Aggy decommit

Post no-showing Aggy Shepherd has fallen 192 spots in the 247, until the latest Aggy no-show Shepherd was +88. He had a previous +130 jump when he confirmed he'd be at Aggy Jr day. 

Andre White is up +389 since committing to Aggy in 247 rankings. 

Demani Richardson up 38 spots after a season ending injury (on the heels of a 120 spot climb just before that), despite very limited SR film, and no new measurables. 

Calzada is up 477 overall (which included a +977 at one point) despite being awful at the sport of football. 

Layden Robinson had a +401 place bump the day before he committed to Aggy. 

Jeffrey Carter is +320 since April

just to think this through... 

DeGabriel Floyd is -32 despite being completely dominant on the field. His murder conviction notwithstanding. 

Derrian Brown is -28 since his Texas commitment. guessing an SEC commitment would have netted a different result. 

T'Vondre Sweat is -139 including a -17 point drop the day of his Texas commitment and another -17 point drop the next week. This despite being the dominant defender on a team that has allowed 137 points in 11 games. 

Peter Mpagi is -586 since the initial 247 rankings. 

Marques Caldwell is particularly hilarious - his composite score is +139 despite the fact that his 247 is -376.  

Likewise Payton Powell has a composite +163 despite a 247 drop of -63

Marcus Tillman is -143 on 247. 

Whittington is +4 composite despite his -79 on 247 (with not a single positive move since January of 2018)

checked a couple of OU guys from Texas :: 

Jamal Morris is -412 on the 247

Kori Roberson is -202 on the 247 

EJNO is -40

Stogner -32

TCU ::

Barlow is +51 on composite -15 on 247. 

Tamuzia Brown is -125

Collins -264

Coker -607

Bannon Brown -497

Winters -308

Ellison -31

Oh my 

9 minutes ago, golfclap said:

It's almost like someone (or perhaps a certain duo) under Terry has got a different agenda ...  

This is where I am going to point out that in the 247 ranking first update after decomm from Aggy Bobby Wolfe fell 124 spots after his meteoric rise, just 3 days after his Aggy decommit

Post no-showing Aggy Shepherd has fallen 192 spots in the 247, until the latest Aggy no-show Shepherd was +88. He had a previous +130 jump when he confirmed he'd be at Aggy Jr day. 

Andre White is up +389 since committing to Aggy in 247 rankings. 

Demani Richardson up 38 spots after a season ending injury (on the heels of a 120 spot climb just before that), despite very limited SR film, and no new measurables. 

Calzada is up 477 overall (which included a +977 at one point) despite being awful at the sport of football. 

Layden Robinson had a +401 place bump the day before he committed to Aggy. 

Jeffrey Carter is +320 since April

just to think this through... 

DeGabriel Floyd is -32 despite being completely dominant on the field. His murder conviction notwithstanding. 

Derrian Brown is -28 since his Texas commitment. guessing an SEC commitment would have netted a different result. 

T'Vondre Sweat is -139 including a -17 point drop the day of his Texas commitment and another -17 point drop the next week. This despite being the dominant defender on a team that has allowed 137 points in 11 games. 

Peter Mpagi is -586 since the initial 247 rankings. 

Marques Caldwell is particularly hilarious - his composite score is +139 despite the fact that his 247 is -376.  

Likewise Payton Powell has a composite +163 despite a 247 drop of -63

Marcus Tillman is -143 on 247. 

Whittington is +4 composite despite his -79 on 247 (with not a single positive move since January of 2018)

checked a couple of OU guys from Texas :: 

Jamal Morris is -412 on the 247

Kori Roberson is -202 on the 247 

EJNO is -40

Stogner -32

TCU ::

Barlow is +51 on composite -15 on 247. 

Tamuzia Brown is -125

Collins -264

Coker -607

Bannon Brown -497

Winters -308