Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

11 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Something for you guys to note for Lakia Henry’s visit next weekend. I’ve read the belief or concern that folks think he’s short - something like 5’9”. He’s measured just over 6’, 225lbs when visiting other schools. He’s got prototypical measurements and it’s not something anyone should worry over. 

You got any thoughts on our odds?  I’d like to add him.  

3 hours ago, Katfid54 said:

Not to say anything bad about Jake, because I'm glad he's joining our program as a PWO. But his highlights dont really compare to Bush's. 

I recognize there's a decent difference in level of competition. But Bush's tape looks legit. 

Negged for besmirching the Ehlinger family name, you worthless piece of shit.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, texifornia said:

Oh lord, when we have a Jett or a Brayden or a Jaylen president... that's when I'll know I'm old.

Considering Jett was the name of the main character (played by James Dean) in the movie Giant, released in 1956, you’d have to be reaaaallly old to be complaining about that one. 

3 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I’m confused about lakia Henry. If the math class thing is true and that’s why he’s not st Tennessee right now, then what’s the point of looking at Arkansas and ole miss?

the other rumor was tenn dumped him because of his size, but if ctj is correct then that doesn’t jibe either. 

Yeah after he decommited the Tennessee boards were saying he's 5'9 and this years film wasn't any good.  Could have just been sour grapes.

4 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I’m confused about lakia Henry. If the math class thing is true and that’s why he’s not st Tennessee right now, then what’s the point of looking at Arkansas and ole miss?

the other rumor was tenn dumped him because of his size, but if ctj is correct then that doesn’t jibe either. 

It's possible that Tennessee wanted him to enroll early but he didn't have the credit in time for that.

11 hours ago, texifornia said:

If I remember right, qualification issues are gonna hold him back unfortunately.

I'd be really happy to see him go to a JUCO for a year and then come to Texas because I think he's a difference maker on the field. Very underrated (suspect the only knock is the qualification - but then Ellison's ranking so .... ) 

for those who didn't follow the whole chain :: 

https://247sports.com/Player/Jordan-Patterson-89526/

4 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Yeah after he decommited the Tennessee boards were saying he's 5'9 and this years film wasn't any good.  Could have just been sour grapes.

No clue about the size, but I did like his FR film more than his SO film, but it’s hard to say without knowing the level of talent on his DL from year to year.

Either way, he can absolutely play and getting him would be great. Between him and Johnson, at least one of those guys will be ready to play at a high level by next year. 

Just now, Machinator said:

Lakia.

Ira isn't visiting

Right, which is why I'm unsure OP is concerned about Shepherd being in Lakia's vicinity. If it weren't for the optics, it would be great if the staff cut ties with all footie bitch recruits and grab Ira Henry as the Shepherd replacement.

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Something for you guys to note for Lakia Henry’s visit next weekend. I’ve read the belief or concern that folks think he’s short - something like 5’9”. He’s measured just over 6’, 225lbs when visiting other schools. He’s got prototypical measurements and it’s not something anyone should worry over. 

Well, what should we worry about?  Gotta have something...

This staff doesn’t seem to like Ira Henry. Offering Henry as a backup to Shepherd is logical yet they still haven’t offered him. 

For whatever reason, they aren’t high on Ira Henry.  Seems they would rather just go the JUCO/grad transfer route if Shepherd flips. 

Edited by texasstrong12

5 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I thought Hookfin was the backup to Shepherd. 

I think it’s more the fact they need interior guys so if Shepherd flips replacing him with another decent but not great tackle prospect isn’t worth it. Especially a 4 to 5 year type. 

Just go find a 1 year rental and save the scholarship for a loaded ‘20 OL class. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 2

I'd be really happy to see him go to a JUCO for a year and then come to Texas because I think he's a difference maker on the field. Very underrated (suspect the only knock is the qualification - but then Ellison's ranking so .... ) 

for those who didn't follow the whole chain :: 
https://247sports.com/Player/Jordan-Patterson-89526/

Don’t non-qualifiers have to spend two years at JUCO?
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I thought Hookfin was the backup to Shepherd. 

Hookfin is the jumbo athlete for this class. (See: Christian Jones, Sam Cosmi, Reese Moore). They kicked the tires on the 2019 OL  and decided that replacing Shepherd would be better served with a JUCO/xfer and an extra 2020 scholarship on the OL.  

rolling 3 class look at OL 2017-2019 (including Cummins as I think he'll pivot from blocking TE to OT over the course of his career) ::

Cosmi. Kerstetter. Cummins. Angilau. Moore. Ghirmai. Jones. Johnson. Hookfin. 

my expectation: 2 JUCO or Grad Xfer for 2019 to add to this list and 4/5 guys on the OL in the 2020 class. 

This staff will not take someone like Trainor to fill a spot for 4-5 years. Much better to save that schollie for a guy like Jaylen Garth in the 2020 class, esp with the number of RS were we able to throw on guys and the likelihood of a 1-2 year rental on a JUCO and/or xfer. Taking the Rutgers G/C guy for a year and Jaylen Garth as another OT in the 2020 class is >>>>>> than taking a guy like Henry or Trainor for 4-5. Attrition is my only question and on that I have no idea what this spring will hold.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UDontKnow said:

I bet you this kid Jett Bush is coming to Texas with the goal of earning a scholarship and more importantly, playing time. If he buys into what Yancy is selling, he'll accomplish it.

Yeah, I am imagining not having concerns of drop-off if this guy is coming off the bench to spell a starter. Jeez. His eyes and play recognition are excellent.

Edited by TexMexBuddha
typo