Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

There is a lot of talk on the Arkansas boards about Henry struggling to get in because of the SEC math requirement. It's kind of odd that the other two schools in the mix are Ole Miss and Arkansas. 

The Ole Miss side seems to be a little more confident about Henry getting in than the Arkansas side does. 

If Henry signs with Ole Miss or Arkansas and can't get in what's the next step? 

Edited by texasstrong12

43 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

There is a lot of talk on the Arkansas boards about Henry struggling to get in because of the SEC math requirement. It's kind of odd that the other two schools in the mix are Ole Miss and Arkansas. 

The Ole Miss side seems to be a little more confident about Henry getting in than the Arkansas side does. 

I would assume it would be similar to senor Lampkin when he couldn't get into UT and was therefore released once school started to sign with OU.

2 hours ago, Machinator said:

OL is definitely the hardest position to project. The Feldman article from last month is a good read.

It’s hard, but it’s even harder when staffs/recruiting services don’t put any effort into their evals. We have a “4-star” OL on our roster that was obviously not going to produce until 4 years into a college a program, if ever, and I was screaming it when the kid was a sophomore in HS. All the recruiting services bought into it and a lot of staffs did, too.

If all people watch are highlights of a player, they’re missing who a player really is. All those bad plays should go into an evaluation, too. Ask the people around a player key questions about his personality and work ethic. Thankfully, I don’t think that’s an issue with this staff. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bevo in VA said:

I would assume it would be similar to senor Lampkin when he couldn't get into UT and was therefore released once school started to sign with OU.

But Lampkin could have gotten into Texas and was on track to get into Texas. He chose to fail his Spanish class so he could go to OU instead. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

It’s hard, but it’s even harder when staffs/recruiting services don’t put any effort into their evals. We have a “4-star” OL on our roster that was obviously not going to produce until 4 years into a college a program, if ever, and I was screaming it when the kid was a sophomore in HS. All the recruiting services bought into it and a lot of staffs did, too.

If all people watch are highlights of a player, they’re missing who a player really is. All those bad plays should go into an evaluation, too. Ask the people around a player key questions about his personality and work ethic. Thankfully, I don’t think that’s an issue with this staff. 

Are we taking about JP Urquidez? Because that was one of the few guys I looked at and was just like wtf is everyone on.

2 hours ago, Nope said:

Can you elaborate on this 

Similarly, Cosmi is a redshirt freshman, an inarguable fact proven by the internet.  Can you imagine how bad it will be with Cosmi playing against LSU next year as a redshirt freshman?  Or when he has to play against Alabama in 2022 as a redshirt freshman?

That's his point - the original post was freezing these players at their assumed level of their original recruiting rating, but players change.  Our team of 3-stars might be performing at a higher level than their team of 4-stars by the time the game comes along.  Some players learn, some players bust.  His point was that you can't just say a team of 3-stars will automatically struggle against a team of 4-stars, and as his evidence, he put out that one of our 3-star recruits, Cosmi, is currently performing at a higher level and shouldn't be readily dismissed as just some scrub 3-star.

Edited by TexLonghorn
  • Like 3

35 minutes ago, TexLonghorn said:

Similarly, Cosmi is a redshirt freshman, an inarguable fact proven by the internet.  Can you imagine how bad it will be with Cosmi playing against LSU next year as a redshirt freshman?  Or when he has to play against Alabama in 2022 as a redshirt freshman?

That's his point - the original post was freezing these players at their assumed level of their original recruiting rating, but players change.  Our team of 3-stars might be performing at a higher level than their team of 4-stars by the time the game comes along.  Some players learn, some players bust.  His point was that you can't just say a team of 3-stars will automatically struggle against a team of 4-stars, and as his evidence, he put out that one of our 3-star recruits, Cosmi, is currently performing at a higher level and shouldn't be readily dismissed as just some scrub 3-star.

What do you mean by that 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

There is a lot of talk on the Arkansas boards about Henry struggling to get in because of the SEC math requirement. It's kind of odd that the other two schools in mix are Ole Miss & Arkansas. The Ole Miss side seems to be a little more confident about Henry getting in than the Arkansas side does. 

Maybe this helps......

giphy.gif

Edited by LTtxfan

3 hours ago, TheFlyingBoat said:

Are we taking about JP Urquidez? Because that was one of the few guys I looked at and was just like wtf is everyone on.

OL evaluation is really only difficult because of a phenomenon that the JPU recruitment exposed very clearly: recruiting services hire guys who judge kids almost entirely on how showy their highlight reels are, coupled with a glance at their measurables.

JPU pancaked everybody on his highlight reel, ergo "He gud" -- nevermind that he outweighed them all by 60 pounds, and you didn't see any of the plays where guys ran right by him. You also didn't get a personality profile off the hudl, either.

Katy running backs are hard to judge, too, and for the very same reason: the tape is pretty, but it doesn't tell the whole story.

• Like 2

Does anyone have a link to Cosmi's recruiting profile? I'm trying to recall what his star ranking was. 
I seem to recall somewhere between 2 and 4 (excluding 2 and 4), but I don't recall the precise rating. If people aren't talking about it, then I forget it pretty quickly.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Katfid54 said:

Does anyone have a link to Cosmi's recruiting profile? I'm trying to recall what his star ranking was. 

Samuel Cosmi       3 Star

OT      6-5      260 lbs

HIGH SCHOOL.    Atascocita

HOME TOWN.      Humble, TX

CLASS.         2017

247Sports Composite®    0.8396  (3 Star)

Natl:   1123 Rank   OT:  104    TX:    155

247SPORTS       (3 Star)

Natl:    1578 Rank   OT:    135     TX:     195

https://247sports.com/Player/Samuel-Cosmi-93212/high-school-178486/

1 minute ago, LTtxfan said:

OT      6-5      260 lbs

CLASS.         2017

247SPORTS       (3 Star)

He must suck.  

5 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

OT      6-5      260 lbs

CLASS.         2017

247SPORTS       (3 Star)

So, a 5-star?

3 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Get a ratings bump to 5 star status and transfer to Texas, only for him to count in this year's class.

It's a nice daydream.  I'm not sure I've ever seen these rankings give out a 5th star for a JUCO though.  We'll take him and be happy regardless of stars.

Edited by sushihorn

Just now, tittiesandbeer said:

The 9.95’ers are more bullish our chances if he indeed makes the visit. I’m pretty ambivalent about Shepherd at this point, though. It would help recruiting perception but offer no real help to our roster. And since we will finish ahead of Aggy no matter who he signs with I really don’t care anymore. 

If rather have him than not. If he flames out or bitches out, he’ll be gone soon enough. Maybe not soon enough to impact the 2020 class, which is what some of you care about, but he won’t be a 4 year non contributor. 

One thing though is if he’s going to put out a loyalty tweet and then flip, that would make me feel quite ok with not getting him. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

If rather have him than not. If he flames out or bitches out, he’ll be gone soon enough. Maybe not soon enough to impact the 2020 class, which is what some of you care about, but he won’t be a 4 year non contributor. 

The problem is, when offensive linemen flame out they tend to stay on your roster and waste space. It’s not like a QB who hits the portal the moment he is not the starter. 

Edited by Newy25