Texas recruiting notes 2019

The most polite way I can word this is we’ll call it a mutual parting of ways. It does not appear to have anything to do with interest from Oklahoma. The Sooners have not been in touch.

no way for most of use to validate this statement but it reeks of aggy level bs.  we offered the guy and accepted his commitment for many many months.  now a few weeks before signing, we supposedly cool off and are indifferent?  this goes against the whole herman's "we don't just offer any and everyone approach".  no motherfucker, we didn't just offer, we accepted and were giddy at his commitment.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

no way for most of use to validate this statement but it reeks of aggy level bs.  we offered the guy and accepted his commitment for many many months.  now a few weeks before signing, we supposedly cool off and are indifferent?  this goes against the whole herman's "we don't just offer any and everyone approach".  no motherfucker, we didn't just offer, we accepted and were giddy at his commitment.

kinda sounds aggy to me, too, but I still don't see that OU offer...

This is a weird one. 

3 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Maybe he didn't have enough years of Spanish

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Mack City Bitch said:

fuck me gently, Shaggy had a replacement board this whole time?! I've spent all this time on goddamn OB for nothing. i've got 597 pages to catch up on, nobody post for a sec

Negged for OB, + for finding your way home. Now go fuck yourself. 

5 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

It is plausible that Houston wanted to take some trips, and Herman basically told him that he couldn't risk losing a spot late in the cycle if he was still unsure and if he did want to take trips he would not consider him a commit and recruit over him. The lack of OU offer is a bit strange, you would have to wonder where else he would have some interest. Maybe Kingsbury called or something. The kid would be a dynamic air raid WR, but if he doesnt end up at OU then he will have done a stupid. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

It is plausible that Houston wanted to take some trips, and Herman basically told him that he couldn't risk losing a spot late in the cycle if he was still unsure and if he did want to take trips he would not consider him a commit and recruit over him. The lack of OU offer is a bit strange, you would have to wonder where else he would have some interest. Maybe Kingsbury called or something. The kid would be a dynamic air raid WR, but if he doesnt end up at OU then he will have done a stupid. 

hadn't thought of this angle.  if this were the case, i could see how this would be construed as mutual.

wasn't he the guy who accidentally posted that his number changed and that recruiters should contact him on this new number?  if this is him, then what you stated seems very plausible.  and if that's the case, then yea, eat shit houston.  

1 minute ago, crash_davis said:

hadn't thought of this angle.  if this were the case, i could see how this would be construed as mutual.

wasn't he the guy who accidentally posted that his number changed and that recruiters should contact him on this new number?  if this is him, then what you stated seems very plausible.  and if that's the case, then yea, eat shit houston.  

That's him.

TFB has great contacts in Oklahoma since they started as an OU site, so they'd be the ones to trust most here. Strange case overall - academics, maybe?

Edited by texifornia

Is time for cat facts and Kate pictures yet? I am sure we shall see a ton of surprise visitors taking trips in the next couple of weeks.  Get a grip on your butt cheeks and do not flame out as another great class closes out. We will ride out the storm of dumbo and his cowboy boots and belly tat boy no worries.

1 minute ago, UncleBuck said:

I mean, we're how far along after his de-commitment and things are still very quiet on his end? hm

It's clear OU isn't prioritizing him right now, but if they miss on a couple of WRs he could easily end up in their class and validate the "he was good enough for Lincoln Riley" crowd

10 minutes ago, Fud said:

It's clear OU isn't prioritizing him right now, but if they miss on a couple of WRs he could easily end up in their class and validate the "he was good enough for Lincoln Riley" crowd

Yah, guess I'm just trying to understand what else could be going on, outside of "this was mutual", because though absolutely possible, I don't wanna be "thaaattt" guy. 

4 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Yah, guess I'm just trying to understand what else could be going on, outside of "this was mutual", because though absolutely possible, I don't wanna be "thaaattt" guy.  

Why worry about it? Nothing changes either way. Personally, I would rather have spots for the trenches and LB. And a surprise visit from a committed WR is always possible.

11 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

On the board I post the most on, there were a bunch of frequent recruiting posters who didn't want him in the class due to what they thought was a poor senior season hudl and celebrated when he decommitted, and some who thought he was Hollywood Brown 2.0 because of his fast sophomore track season 100m dash time. I was in the middle and fine with him as a bottom of the class z-receiver fit, and I'm fine with him being gone, regardless of how the mechanics of how he decommitted went. 

8 minutes ago, Fud said:

On the board I post the most on, there were a bunch of frequent recruiting posters who didn't want him in the class due to what they thought was a poor senior season hudl and celebrated when he decommitted, and some who thought he was Hollywood Brown 2.0 because of his fast sophomore track season 100m dash time. I was in the middle and fine with him as a bottom of the class z-receiver fit, and I'm fine with him being gone, regardless of how the mechanics of how he decommitted went. 

Seems fair. I've only really read analysis of him and haven't watched. Can't coach speed, but you can find it a little easier at this level, then focus on coaching the head. 

Hope that's the case here. 

Just now, UncleBuck said:

Seems fair. I've only really read analysis of him and haven't watched. Can't coach speed, but you can find it a little easier at this level, then focus on coaching the head. 

Hope that's the case here. 

My question is, what is his speed though, and how is his playing speed? His 10.7s as a soph showed that he was on track to have elite speed, and then his 10.6s as a junior shows he still has very good speed, although perhaps not quite elite at that point. His senior hudl shows him looking fast against 2A Oklahoma competition, but to my eye he looks closer to someone like John Burt in speed as a potential Z than someone like Hollywood Brown, but I'm just an asshole on a computer and it's very eye of the beholder. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Machinator said:

There's a post here from OU's 247 site on Demariyon, if anyone has it. From December 3.

https://247sports.com/college/oklahoma/Board/86/Contents/Quick-Update-on-Demaryion-Houston-Situation--125849992/

Kind of fits the narrative about him going on visits, and Herman not risking losing him this late. 

Spoiler

Houston is a really, really good player. Texas had question about him, but some of those questions weren’t really ones I think were necessary. 

The main question was grades, but I’m told that he will be ready to roll after this semesters grades are put on his transcript. 

I can also add that OU got Houston's transcript last week, so they are aware of his academic standing. 

There is interest in Houston, from OU, but how much is the question, right now. As I reported earlier, OU will be out in ATL to visit Haselwood, and see where things stand with him, later this week. If they feel like they can land Haselwood, they will definitely make him a priority. 

If Haselwood isn’t ready, or willing, to hear OU out, I’d say Houston then becomes the guy. Houston has a bunch of schools like Alabama, Michigan, Auburn and a host of others really taking a hard look at him, as well. 

I’ll keep you all updated as I get more info.

• Like 1

Updated Rivals 250

3) Theo Wease
12) Kenyon Green
17) Trejan Bridges
29) Erick Young
33) Garrett Wilson
35) Jordan Whittington
38) DeMarvin Leal
56) Brian Williams
58) Marcel Brooks
82) Tyler Johnson
88) Arjei Henderson
89) Lewis Cine
90) Demani Richardson
108) Marquez Beason
128) Baylor Cupp
136) Austin Stogner
137) Dylan Wright
138) Isaiah Spiller
140) Elijah Higgins
153) Jalen Curry
173) Marcus Stripling
179) Marcus Banks
195) La'Vontae Shenault
200) Nana Osafo-Mensah
203) Kam Brown
210) Branson Bragg
214) Jamal Morris
230) Jalen Catalon
231) Peyton Powell
238) Colt Ellison
239) Tyler Owens
244) Deondrick Glass

2) Trey Sanders
7) Bru McCoy
69) Jake Smith (Nice)
73) Noah Cain
113) Kenyatta Watson
130) De'Gabriel Floyd
135) Brayden Liebrock
145) Marcus Washington
147) Chris Adimora

194) Demariyon Houston
243) Derrian Brown

1 minute ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

@Fud do happen to know out of our commits/targets which ones dropped/moved up from Rivals previous rankings?

Johnson #78

Whittington #31

Floyd #113

Smith #65

Kenyatta #148

Liebrock #104

Adimora #135

Washington #131

Houston #183

Brown #245

Powell unranked (51 in Texas)

Owens unranked (not even ranked in the Texas top 100)

Cain #71

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

1 hour ago, UncleBuck said:

kinda sounds aggy to me, too, but I still don't see that OU offer...

This is a weird one. 

There's definitely spin going on with this recruitment. Anyone celebrating his exit is putting a lot of weight in Drew Mehringer's capabilities as an evaluator and coach. He's the weakest link on the staff, so good luck with that kind of faith. They also apparently believe that we can teach speed, somehow. I don't know how fast the guy is, but he's faster than everyone else on the field. Is that not saying much against okie competition? Maybe. But he's not playing 6-Man football up there. 

One thing I learned a long time ago is that the recruitniks who value themselves as contrarian evaluators of talent are wrong more than they're right, and they'll harp on their successes to claim otherwise. Don't overthink shit. The UT WR corps lacks speed, irrespective of who returns. Jake Smith is quick and fast, but he doesn't play outside and run sail routes if he's being used properly. 

I’ll take a stab. Houston has wanted to play with Major in college. Our coaches asked him if he’d flip if Oklahoma offered, him, and he was honest and said yes. Our coaches say ok then you aren’t committed. Houston, banking on an eventual ou offer but having plenty of other options, said I understand and that’s fine. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1