Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

17 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

So let's say Williams and Sanders go to Bama. Cain goes to Georgia. I'll barf if they fucking take someone like Glass.

Drayton needs to close the deal on one of the Top RBs for this 2019 Class.

Agree with CTJ's comment..... if Texas ends up taking Glass 

TFloss info on Powell, Lewis and Sanders

Spoiler

Per OrangeBloods, ATH Peyton Powell of Odessa Permian will be taking an official visit to Baylor this weekend.

He's also said he will be talking to the new Texas Tech staff soon.

/

24/7 reporting Texas is likely to see WR Kennedy Lewis of Melissa this week, but nothing has changed so far on Texas wanting to hold on to the extra scholarship.

Lewis is expected to end up at Baylor.

/

Two notes from The Football Brainiacs...

-they're hearing RB Trey Sanders was very fond of former Alabama OC Mike Locksley (Kai's father). With Locksley being re-hired by Maryland this week, that supposedly leaves a "sizable" window for Florida and Texas to make a bigger move with him.

-the Texas coaches are telling WR Lil'Jordan Humphrey they believe he should return for his senior year. It appears as if the decision will come down to his draft grade as opposed to former players who were ready to leave UT regardless of their draft position.

2 minutes ago, NoName said:

TFloss info on Powell, Lewis and Sanders

Reveal hidden contents

Per OrangeBloods, ATH Peyton Powell of Odessa Permian will be taking an official visit to Baylor this weekend.

He's also said he will be talking to the new Texas Tech staff soon.

/

24/7 reporting Texas is likely to see WR Kennedy Lewis of Melissa this week, but nothing has changed so far on Texas wanting to hold on to the extra scholarship.

Lewis is expected to end up at Baylor.

/

Two notes from The Football Brainiacs...

-they're hearing RB Trey Sanders was very fond of former Alabama OC Mike Locksley (Kai's father). With Locksley being re-hired by Maryland this week, that supposedly leaves a "sizable" window for Florida and Texas to make a bigger move with him.

-the Texas coaches are telling WR Lil'Jordan Humphrey they believe he should return for his senior year. It appears as if the decision will come down to his draft grade as opposed to former players who were ready to leave UT regardless of their draft position.

Staff should pitch LJ on getting some reps at outside receiver next year to put on tape for scouts. IMO that's the biggest thing holding his grade down: he just doesn't have a lot of tape playing at the position where he projects in the NFL. With Jake Smith coming in and Josh Moore developing, they can put those guys in the slot while LJ gets work at the X to spell CJ or maybe put him at Z in the redzone or something. 

3 hours ago, crash_davis said:

no way for most of use to validate this statement but it reeks of aggy level bs.  we offered the guy and accepted his commitment for many many months.  now a few weeks before signing, we supposedly cool off and are indifferent?  this goes against the whole herman's "we don't just offer any and everyone approach".  no motherfucker, we didn't just offer, we accepted and were giddy at his commitment.

Could also mean that some stuff has come to light or things have transpired and now the coaches are indifferent on whether he stays or goes...or that they don't want to touch him with a 10 ft. pole.  Pure speculation, but sometimes recruits don't live up to their end of the bargain.

On ‎11‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 9:52 AM, irishtexan said:

I was just looking at the player rankings for the state of California to find out where De'Gabriel Floyd is ranked within the state (11 for those interested).  I was shocked to see that USC currently only has two of the top 20 players in California committed to them. Oregon has five, and is likely to land the state's top player Kayvon Thibodeaux.  USC has the 29th ranked class in the country. Their highest rated player is 120 in the composite. It's conceivable that USC only manages to land 4 of the top 20 players in the State of California this year if Bru chooses Texas, assuming Sean Rhyan and Kyle Ford choose USC. If some truly freaky shit goes down, they may only land those two players who are already committed. They've got a real fucking dumpster fire going on over there. 

Rhyan committed to UCLA

Just now, The Dog said:

He’s one of the biggest “stand up philosophers” on all Longhorn message boards.

Lotus Horn is dumbest, least informed pseudo-guru in all of Longhorn netdom. He's been comically wrong with everything he's ever written, yet the rubes on 247 lap it up as though it's gospel. 

Texas has a higher opinion of itself in this recruiting cycle than it should. Carrington, Herman, you name it. They think they're getting everyone, and they're wrong. 

Based on what has transpired in the last few days, I think we are getting a lot more interest from elites than we thought we would. Maybe CTL is right though and it is just that the staff that is overly optimistic. We shall see.

Edited by Bevo

Just now, closetojumping said:

Lotus Horn is dumbest, least informed pseudo-guru in all of Longhorn netdom. He's been comically wrong with everything he's ever written, yet the rubes on 247 lap it up as though it's gospel. 

Texas has a higher opinion of itself in this recruiting cycle than it should. Carrington, Herman, you name it. They think they're getting everyone, and they're wrong. 

I think you’re every bit the bullshit artist that Lotushorn is. 

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

giphy.gif

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Carl! said:

His players love him. He’s more than just a coach. They told me how much he looks out for them and how they can come to him about anything, whether it’s football , school work or even girl issues. He always has their back and he told me how much he invests in his players and how much he cares and all the guys I talked to totally reiterated that.

Did we get a different Coach Mehringer on the staff and I just missed it?

18 minutes ago, Chrispy said:

How tied in is this Lotus Horn guy on 247? 

not very

12 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

seems to be a theme. Heard the same things last year, and re: Chaisson two years ago.

8 minutes ago, The Dog said:

He’s one of the biggest “stand up philosophers” on all Longhorn message boards.

I remember him being adamant that Strong was not getting fired, and then disappearing shortly thereafter. I guess he’s hoping that this recent prognostication fares better, thus restoring his credibility. But CTJ is correct, the posters on 247 take what he says as gospel. 

• Like 1

Speaking of Mehringer... https://www.breezejmu.org/sports/breaking-down-potential-replacements-for-jmu-s-mike-houston/article_ccb09d68-f6ff-11e8-870b-8b400a1c2ce2.html

Drew Mehringer (Texas wide receivers coach)

The Everett Withers timestamp in JMU history isn’t a fond one, but that doesn’t necessarily eliminate the idea that the Dukes could bring back a young, up-and-coming familiar face.

Current Texas wide receivers coach and former JMU co-offensive coordinator Drew Mehringer is just 30 years old, yet has coaching experience with Rutgers and Houston along with premiere FBS programs such as Ohio State and Texas. In terms of younger candidates with ties to James Madison, few have as experienced of a resume as Mehringer.

19 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

He can't be worse than Powerspread, unless they're the same person 

IT Wednesday notes

SMITH

The biggest offensive piece from 2019, Notre Dame Prep's Jake Smith, opened his home to the staff last night in Arizona.

"The home visit was great," said Smith. "Coach Beck was here for hours, we talked for a while and had pizza with the fam. We talked a lot about when I sign how I will get a playbook right away and a Hudl account so can learn the signs, routes, formations. We also talked about the weight program I’ll get and possibly meal plan."

After putting up an incredible senior campaign, the need for immediate playing time is there. And wanted.

"The plan is for me to come in and play right away so we want to get right into it because I can't enroll early."

There was buzz after USC hired Kingsbury but Smith and his father weren't hearing it. They're all Texas.

CATALON

The elite defensive back from Mansfield Legacy hosted Craig Naivar and Tom Herman last night. The staff broke down where he'd play, the chance to see the field as a freshman, and how he was made for this Texas defense and the Big 12.

“It was good, real good,” said Catalon. "We really enjoyed it. I love coach Naivar. He keeps it '100' with me and keeps up with me on a daily basis. We have a great relationship.”

Catalon was originally going to commit at the Under Armour game in early January, but now it's looking after his official visit to TCU in mid-Jan.

“I'm taking more time because it’s a 40-year decision, not four-year decision," said Catalon.
This one has been trending Arkansas for awhile, but Texas keeps swinging. I get the sense the Horned Frogs are in this as much as anyone.

He's still set to see the 40 Acres on Dec. 14th-15th for his official, and is going into this decision with an open mind. I do think his parents will ultimately have the most influence, so if the staff can recognize this and work accordingly, UT has as good a shot as anyone.

But this recruitment will drag on for another month or so. Stay tuned.

WILLIAMS

The Grossmont College (CA) offensive lineman was excited to meet coach Hand.

“We finally met today,” said Williams, about Texas OL coach Herb Hand. "We had a great discussion."

Williams has seen his stock rise recently and the Longhorns took notice.

“(Hand) is a great coach that loves his players,” Williams said. “Very knowledgeable as well. And yes, I am highly interested in Texas. I’ll be taking an official visit this weekend.”

UT has a few schools to thwart on its path.

“I went to Indiana last week and I’m going to Florida State next week,” Williams said.

But Williams made it pretty clear; a Texas offer is a game-changer. His official visit this weekend looms large. Bottom line; if UT wants him, they'll get him.

MPAGI

One of the #fUTure19 members had his senior year shortened by injury (nothing serious), but that didn't deter his intentions of coming in and working hard early. Coach Oscar Giles stopped by for a visit on Monday.

“We spoke about life, my workouts, and my major,” said Mpagi. “I’ll be taking a official visit this weekend.”

The George Ranch product was a regular at Texas games last fall and sees some real studs in the class he's enjoying.

“I would say speed and major playmakers,” said Mpagi, about what stands out about the 2019 class.

The highlight of his senior year...

“Getting two sacks against our rivals, Pearland, and in front of our old head coach and my old DL coach,” Mpagi said.

Mpagi is ready to ink, but first wants to enjoy his only official visit of the season.

SWEAT

The second pledge for the 2019 class, T'Vondre Sweat of the Huntsville Sweats, went under the radar despite a great senior year and impressive highlight film. The defensive linemen will be needed down the road in Austin and he knows it.

“My future DL coach Giles is the coolest ever,” Sweat said. “We spoke about staying in shape and being prepared when I arrive in June. I’ll be majoring in Sports Management. Lots of opportunities there.”

What's the one thing he'll miss about home?

“I’ll miss playing with my brothers the most,” Sweat said. “But now I get to play with my new brothers.”

Even though Sweat doesn't get much publicity, it can't go understated how valuable he is to the Texas d-line haul. Huge.

NOTES, TIDBITS

-- Texas visited Trey Sanders last night. With Alabama's OC headed to Maryland, UT is still actively pursuing the nation's top tailback.

-- Oregon doesn’t feel confident with JUCO LB Caleb Johnson, which bodes very well for the Longhorns. UT needs a guy that can play next fall. Coach Orlando had his in-home and the staff feels good here. Tom Herman will swing by next week for his in-home visit. We should know where Johnson is headed soon enough.

-- Texas visited Marques Caldwell last night. Caldwell absolutely adores coach Washington and can't wait to get on campus.

- Coach Hand stays in touch with Katy Taylor OL, TCU pledge Andrew Coker, but the clock is running out here. Either he visits UT in the next two weeks, or this won't happen. Hand should see Coker soon.

-- Coach Hand and Coach Meekins stopped by to see Javonne Shepherd yesterday. Everything went well, but Shepherd still has an OV scheduled for Texas A&M. I'm hesitant to believe he'll make that trip, but with this recruitment, you never know. At this point, Texas still looks good.

-- On The Road Today; Naivar is in DFW to see Chris Thompson, Ja'Quinden Jackson, Darius Snow, and Dwight McGlothern. Washignton is in Atlanta to see Derrian Brown and Kenyatta Watson II.

3 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Track coaches maximize already fast sprinters by teaching technique that allows them to shave a few more hundredths off the 100m.  They don’t teach big bodied possession guys how to be explosive.

They tell the 400m. guys “stay to your left & get back as fast as you can”.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Is this an issue for just this cycle or do you see being one going forward with this staff. I imagine that might be a disconnect between how the staff felt the 2017 season went and how the 2019 recruits saw it. 

So let's say Williams and Sanders go to Bama. Cain goes to Georgia. I'll barf if they fucking take someone like Glass.

What’s worse is that we have one of the worst depth charts at the position of any major program in the country and we are still struggling to close a top back, with a highly respected RB coach. It makes no sense.
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Not a Sock said:

Is this an issue for just this cycle or do you see being one going forward with this staff. I imagine that might be a disconnect between how the staff felt the 2017 season went and how the 2019 recruits saw it. 

Yeah, the staff may be thinking that in their second season they are going to the Sugar Bowl and playing Georgia in front of a large audience.

23 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

What’s worse is that we have one of the worst depth charts at the position of any major program in the country and we are still struggling to close a top back, with a highly respected RB coach. It makes no sense.

Makes plenty of sense.. top backs usually look at one thing and its not depth at RB... its all about OL and until we show we've got one they will have reservations

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Not a Sock said:

This is definitely something we need to focus on and debate. 

Or not. 

2 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Makes plenty of sense.. top backs usually look at one thing and its not depth at RB... its all about OL and until we show we've got one they will have reservations

We, happily, can at least point to improvement this year. Not good-ness per se. But improvement.