Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

So question for those who follow Texas HS football.  Our QB commit, Chase Griffin, was just named Texas Gatorade HS football POY.  But he remains only the 162nd rated Texas HS player, and out of the top 1000 nationally.  What are his shortcomings?  Honestly don't know too much about him, but his tape looks really good.

5 minutes ago, Fud said:

Oh my 

Perplexing. Good players want to play on stacked teams so it’ll draw them some legit ballers. 

But at the same time, the bellyaching of “why Jimbo can’t win with top 3 (that are really top 15) classes” here in a few years will be delicious. The Mack Brown effect. 

The constant thinking a savior is in each class, but only players that end up being OK.  Like dozens of miniature rollercoasters. 

3 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

So question for those who follow Texas HS football.  Our QB commit, Chase Griffin, was just named Texas Gatorade HS football POY.  But he remains only the 162nd rated Texas HS player, and out of the top 1000 nationally.  What are his shortcomings?  Honestly don't know too much about him, but his tape looks really good.

His daddy has money. 

3 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

His height. That's it. He's a hell of a football player , good in the classroom, has good athleticism and has good leadership skills. It's all about his physical size. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

His biggest short coming is he committed to UCLA 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

If that's the case (height),  CFB is littered with smallish QB's.  Not the NFL so much, but hopefully it is something he can overcome.

247 claims that their rankings are based on pro-potential, so it makes sense that they would knock a QB for their height.  Doesn't mean they won't be a college baller, though.

What you're seeing over the last few posts, however, is that this seems to be a pretty arbitrarily (*cough*SEC*cough*) enforced rule.

16 minutes ago, sunset87 said:

So 247 has decided, SEC (or is it just aggie?) commit ratings bump, Big 12 commit ratings drop.  Even though schools from both conferences were/are recruiting some of the same players...Seems legit.

let those clowns lower the ratings, star doesnt change the performance on the field when these guys start crushing errbody  

whos our malikmas this year?  do we have one? 

1 minute ago, Sgt Hulk said:

let those clowns lower the ratings, star doesnt change the performance on the field when these guys start crushing errbody  

whos our malikmas this year?  do we have one? 

Nothing is on that level (unless Leal flips) in Texas. McCoy or especially Sanders would be a national statement, though.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Nothing is on that level (unless Leal flips) in Texas. McCoy or especially Sanders would be a national statement, though.

Sanders or McCoy would be a huge deal nationally compared to Leal...although Leal is at a more important position of need.  

Fuck it....get all 3!

EJ looks like he is pulling a page out of the aggy notebook or else he has been reading too much Hank Scorpio. It looks like we are going to be putting our name on the 2nd place recruiting trophy. These 5-star players are just dying to come to Texas, but Texas just ran out of frequent flier miles to overcome the distance factor.

I know CTJ says EJ has no sources within the program, but that report sounds like just the sort of staff overconfidence CTJ alluded to earlier.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, rickyspub said:

EJ looks like he is pulling a page out of the aggy notebook or else he has been reading too much Hank Scorpio. It looks like we are going to be putting our name on the 2nd place recruiting trophy. These 5-star players are just dying to come to Texas, but Texas just ran out of frequent flier miles to overcome the distance factor.

I know CTJ says EJ has no sources within the program, but that report sounds like just the sort of staff overconfidence CTJ alluded to earlier.

EJ I’m sure draws a lot from Carringtons actions on twitter but as ctj has stated he is getting info from the trainers, coaches and family. 

27 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

If that's the case (height),  CFB is littered with smallish QB's.  Not the NFL so much, but hopefully it is something he can overcome.

i have coached against him several times in 7on7. He is a stud. Good arm. Good feet. Great anticipation. Y'all got a good one. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, UcancallmeSurly said:

Very telling that the EJ write up made no mention of the Waddle transfer.  I'm starting to think that boat may have sailed.

giphy.gif

he is clearly just keeping it to himself and trying not to pull a Ketch - fucking it up for everyone.

4 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

sucks for leal to commit to a team that will literally never see a shot at a conf title, playoff discussion nothing.  

i can tell you Jason Washington is working on Leal every single day. Caden Sterns is as well but to a lesser extent. I dont know if it will make a difference or not. 

Naivar is contacting Garrett Wilson daily but I dont think he will make a dent.

As for Mehringer's pitch to Bru about Texas not having anyone else on the roster to fill that role. They need to stop saying the same thing to every recruit. That shit works some times and not others but it always gets back to the players on the team.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

As for Mehringer's pitch to Bru about Texas not having anyone else on the roster to fill that role. They need to stop saying the same thing to every recruit. That shit works some times and not others but it always gets back to the players on the team.  

Im confused. Would making that statement to 2 different people make it untrue? 

10 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

i can tell you Jason Washington is working on Leal every single day. Caden Sterns is as well but to a lesser extent. I dont know if it will make a difference or not. 

Maybe they'll stop telling it to recruits when they get one fucking kid that fits that mold to actually fucking commit to the program? I'm not sure if you noticed, but Jake Smith, Marcus Washington and Jordan Whittington don't exactly fit the fucking mold of a 6'4"-6'6" WR bruiser of a WR. 

What, do you fucking think Braydon Liebrock is going to get pissed off and decommit because of our pitch to players at positions he doesn't play?

5 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

Supposedly Peyton Powell might flip to Tech. Sounds like they’re telling him they want him at QB.

Man. That would be extremely odd if you take into account Powell likely knows jack shit about Matt Wells or has any clue what the coaching staff at Tech will look like in a few weeks. 

Just now, Pato del Muerto said:

It’s about saying it to guys in the last class that are now on the team

You mean guys who mostly haven't played at all and haven't proven anything yet? Dunno man, it seems like a pretty defensible pitch to me. Brennan Eagles looks like tarzan but hasn't exactly busted his way into playing time, and Malcolm Epps is arguably a tweener who might not work out at WR. 

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

Maybe they'll stop telling it to recruits when they get one fucking kid that fits that mold to actually fucking commit to the program? I'm not sure if you noticed, but Jake Smith, Marcus Washington and Jordan Whittington don't exactly fit the fucking mold of a 6'4"-6'6" WR bruiser of a WR. 

What, do you fucking think Braydon Liebrock is going to get pissed off and decommit because of our pitch to players at positions he doesn't play?

well, Bru is under 6'3 so he doesnt really fit that role to begin with. but they have said the same thing to QBs, WRs, LBs, etc and i get it but it has offended some parents and players both on the recruiting end and on the team. i trust Herman and staff are great recruiters but maybe they could be a little more subtle on that particular pitch. 

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

You mean guys who mostly haven't played at all and haven't proven anything yet? Dunno man, it seems like a pretty defensible pitch to me. Brennan Eagles looks like tarzan but hasn't exactly busted his way into playing time, and Malcolm Epps is arguably a tweener who might not work out at WR. 

It's almost like it is hard to be a first year WR in CFB or the NFL...

20 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

I'm shocked that Mehringer is telling something to a recruit that might bite him in the ass

• Like 1

I'm still hearing that we are pretty much leading for McCoy, Leal, Sanders, and Cain. Even if we don't land any of them, we are definitely number two, which is a pretty big win for the staff. When was the last time that UT was in the top 2 for so many 5 star out of state players? My source told me "we might not win the most god medals, but we're going to win the total medal count." That's a pretty impressive feat for Herman to pull off, especially when you consider that UT hasn't been good on the field in almost a decade. 

So everyone chill out, Herman's got this. There's a reason he's in MENSA.

;)

• Like 5

every staff says that bullshit.  It’s the staffs job every year to recruit over the current players no matter how good they are.  If players get offended on the team, maybe prove it on the field.  If they get butt hurt, they can transfer to Sam Houston.  Part of me is happy Herman doesn’t give into these players egos.  If players want out, show them where Reggie Hemphill is.  Rather than being a starter on a team competing for conference titles, I have no clue where he’s at and he’ll never be heard of again.  Half this fickle team couldn’t survive a year at bama.  That program is so fucking cut throat.  You don’t show up to work everyday, not only will you lose your spot, Saban also won’t renew your scholarship.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NoName said:

The difference here is that in the Olympics you can still go home and celebrate for winning the silver or bronze

With recruiting you go home empty handed - finishing 2nd in a recruitment doesn't really do much generally for you. 

Now, is it impressive that Texas is even in it with McCoy and Sanders? Sure. But does it actually mean jack shit if they finish runner up to USC and Bama? Not really. Still didn't get the recruit. 

dude

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, NoName said:

The difference here is that in the Olympics you can still go home and celebrate for winning the silver or bronze

With recruiting you go home empty handed - finishing 2nd in a recruitment doesn't really do much generally for you. 

Now, is it impressive that Texas is even in it with McCoy and Sanders? Sure. But does it actually mean jack shit if they finish runner up to USC and Bama? Not really. Still didn't get the recruit. 

tenor.gif?itemid=6194079

• Like 7
  • Haha 1