Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

This will help with JUCO LB Texas is recruiting...

SIAP.... Dec 5th, 2018 article

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/25460105/oregon-athletic-department-put-probation

Oregon athletic department placed on probation

• Mark SchlabachESPN Senior Writer

The NCAA committee on infractions placed Oregon's athletic department on two years' probation on Wednesday for violations in its men's and women's basketball, football and women's track and field programs.

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 2

Gonna be interesting to see what Mensa chess moves are made to fill the much needed experienced additional OL spots......

Tom Herman getting Myron Cunningham to take his official visit just a few days before NSD1 is a huge win and potential game-changer. I knew when he went to see Cunningham in person it would mean a lot to the JUCO OT. We saw what happened when former OU commit Jones visited Austin, though a big difference is Jones plays defense and Cunningham plays offense.

With Cunningham currently leaning towards OU, Jay Williams has emerged as an offer-and-sign candidate. He'll visit this weekend. The catch here is the staff will have to balance offering him with waiting on Cunningham. Wait too long and Williams may end up at Free Shoes.

2 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

NoName.... Thanks for the good news..... (Below)

" S Chris Adimora has cancelled his official to Arizona State this weekend, per Orangebloods.

Even though he's locked into UT, he mentioned he felt disloyal taking the trip."

This man gets it. I mean it sucks he’s missing a free trip to be worshiped and women romancing each other but that loyalty sets a foundation. Hopefully a contagious one 

1 hour ago, Fud said:

I'm assuming this is about Warren?

The real question is ogre translater  gonna he with him because I don’t think said recruit will understand farmer Fran. What’s ogre selling?  A single digit shit offense. Annual power bottom for bama? Giving up 75 to Hellen keller mond and jumbo?  What’s the benefit of going to lsuLSU

Edited by Sgt Hulk

3 minutes ago, Not a Sock said:

What a reasonable take. Is the rest of the pac 12 like this? 

They don't care enough about football, so probably. I don't see why ASU should suck though. They have quite a few inherent advantages that a decent coach would be able to make use of.

I've never understood the "they scared him out of his visit" conjecture when it comes to true flip threats. What are you threatening him with?...pulling the offer of a really good player that you want?...that's already considering going to a different school? Doesn't sound too smart.

It's just message board chatter that makes fans feel better about missing out.

2 minutes ago, Eternal Noob said:

I've never understood the "they scared him out of his visit" conjecture when it comes to true flip threats. What are you threatening him with?...pulling the offer of a really good player that you want?...that's already considering going to a different school? Doesn't sound too smart.

You don't think our coaches talked him out of going? Do you think he decided not to go on his own?

3 minutes ago, Eternal Noob said:

More like if you want to look around then we will too type of talk. I believe they certainly talked him out of it. Happens all the time with other schools as well. 

1 hour ago, Sgt Hulk said:

The real question is ogre translater  gonna he with him because I don’t think said recruit will understand farmer Fran. What’s ogre selling?  A single digit shit offense. Annual power bottom for bama? Giving up 75 to Hellen keller mond and jumbo?  What’s the benefit of going to lsuLSU

He's from Louisiana and Aranda is a good coach.

6 minutes ago, Fud said:

You don't think our coaches talked him out of going? Do you think he decided not to go on his own?

I'm sure they talked him out of it, they wouldn't be doing their jobs if they didn't. They continue to recruit until signing day. That's why they're in the living rooms of current longtime commits right now. I'm talking about the strong-arm tactics hinted at by rival fans like the ASU one above. He called it "shrewd and ruthless" and that he was "scared" into cancelling. The other guy said Adimora "panicked". How you gonna threaten a kid thinking about flipping? That would just convince him to go.

1 minute ago, satyanash said:

I remember our photoshops being better than this... this just looks like a cutout of his head slapped on a pre-made background, it's very jarring.

There's nothing more pathetic than an aging hipster, except for perpetual whines by dorks about the photoshopping skills from the athletic department.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Machinator said:

This is where Oscar Giles really flexes his muscles and shows Alabama, Clemson and all of the other lackies, whose balls. Whose balls? Texas' fucking balls, sirs. And we're dragging them across the nose of college football with our usual late recruiting cycle master finds on the DL. Giles is like a reverse grizzly bear. He hibernates for 10 months then wakes up and hands Carrington his phone and social media accounts in order to do work.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

This is where Oscar Giles really flexes his muscles and shows Alabama, Clemson and all of the other lackies, whose balls. Whose balls? Texas' fucking balls, sirs. And we're dragging them across the nose of college football with our usual late recruiting cycle master finds on the DL. Giles is like a reverse grizzly bear. He hibernates for 10 months then wakes up and hands Carrington his phone and social media accounts in order to do work.

But, how do you feel about Giles?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I think he plays offense and defense.

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Ctj:  "This is where Oscar Giles really flexes his muscles and shows Alabama, Clemson and all of the other lackies, whose balls. Whose balls? Texas' fucking balls, sirs. And we're dragging them across the nose of college football with our usual late recruiting cycle master finds on the DL. Giles is like a reverse grizzly bear. He hibernates for 10 months then wakes up and hands Carrington his phone and social media accounts in order to do work."

giphy.gif

IT

TEAM

Let's go over the offensive roster a little bit. This team is going to look a little different in spring ball.

QB: By all accounts Shane Buechele is happy as can be in Austin and we've heard no discussion of him leaving, even after Sam Ehlinger cemented himself as the starter. Buechele has two years of eligibility and will graduate next May, but leaving the program doesn't seem to be on his mind. One we'll be keeping an eye on is Casey Thompson. Roschon Johnson will join the group in January.

RB: Tristian Houston will transfer and look to play somewhere else his final year. Pretty much everyone we talk to expects Toneil Carter to leave. The writing has been on the wall there. I asked about Kirk Johnson. "I'm not sure what he's going to do, but early in the season they moved him from scout team to the regular offense so they may have plans for him yet." So really thin? "Yes. Young, who is average, doesn't have great vision or cut well, and then Ingram who had durability issues." They'll put 10 pounds on Ingram before next season, but they definitely need to find some help whether through a high school, JUCO, grad transfer recruit, or some combination of all three. Landing Noah Cain and a grad transfer is ideal.

WR: "John Burt coming back is a good thing. He had his moments against the defense this year running go's and posts. He's worked really hard at becoming a better receiver. He and Ehlinger need to do a better job of getting on the same page. Ehlinger tends to over-throw Burt despite John's speed." Ehlinger does the same to Duvernay. I asked this source about Al'vonte Woodard. "Haven't seen him do much. He looks the part." We discussed Malcolm Epps and Brennan Eagles last week, as well as the potential of LJH and Collin Johnson returning. Nothin new there.

TE: "Brewer lost a step and got overweight. He didn't really have an off-season so hopefully he makes some strides this spring. Somebody has to step up." This source remains bearish on Leitao (lack of physicality) and Cummins. The incoming freshmen won't be able to duplicate what Andrew Beck gave the offense this year. Brayden Liebrock not enrolling early hurts. The staff needs to get Leitao playing up to his ability and find a grad transfer. The other day I said UT didn't need a body at the position. After talking to this source I think I was mistaken. But find a body who can play.

OL: I mentioned Texas losing Anderson, Vahe, and E-Rod. "Don't remind me." I mentioned red-shirting Okafor being a big positive. "Definitely, I think he'll slide into Vahe's spot." Shackelford had a good year, but the staff needs to find a back-up for him as well as his successor. Replacing E-Rod could be as easy as inserting Tope Imade but he needs to prove he can be consistent. Patrick Hudson will be back and competing but I have my concerns of how he'll react to the August/September heat. I asked about Junior Angilau. "I think he's a bigger Vahe. Probably more athletic. Does okay in pass pro." So he'll be a two deep guy at least? "Yes." Last week we mentioned the staff is excited to get Tyler Johnson enrolled early and putting him on the fast track. They'll give him as much as he can handle. How recruiting shakes out will give us a better idea of what the line will look like in the spring. Derek Kerstetter's versatility provides a lot of options, especially after another year in S&C.

DAVID BEATY

There's a good chance the former Kansas head coach will end up in Austin even if the wide receiver job doesn't come open. Similar to Sonny Dykes at TCU, Beaty would consider a QC job while planning his next move or waiting for something better to open up at Texas. We've seen other coaches do this while they continue to draw a check from their previous employer.

STATE OF RECRUITING

There are only two more official visit weekends ahead of NSD1. Texas could go a long way to help solidify the run game in the coming weeks.

OFFICIAL VISITS

Peter Mpagi, George Ranch, DE (TEXAS) - early enrollee
Jared Wiley, Temple, TE (TEXAS) - early enrollee
Marquess Caldwell, Alvin, CB (TEXAS)
David Gbenda, Cinco Ranch, LB (TEXAS)
Marcus Tillman, (FL), LB (TEXAS) - early enrollee
Tyler Owens, S, Plano East (TEXAS)

They're all solid, even Owens who has discussed waiting until February to sign. We believe he'll sign early, though.

Jay Williams, Grossmont College (CA), OL: We expect a Texas offer this weekend, but he’ll take an official visit to Florida State next weekend too. Marcus Hutchins would be the star of the Noles line, so that tells you what type of opportunity awaits in Tallahassee. Despite Willie Taggart struggling to clean up someone else's mess he's put together a nice class.

Tommy Kennedy, Butler (Grad transfer): The 6-foot-5, 290, offensive tackle from Evansville, IA hosted Herb Hand yesterday. After visiting Texas officially this weekend, he'll venture to OU and Miamia before the dead period. He also holds offers Boston College, Arizona, Auburn, and, of course, Florida State. Texas must land one of Kennedy and Myron Cunningham. Ideally they'd land both but with OU's track record of o-line success that will be difficult.

Antoine Whitner, IMG (FL): Really good athlete for a 6-foot-4, 295 pound defensive tackle, but I wonder if they're projecting him to guard. I'm trying to learn more about this kid.

One who likely won't make it:

DJ Williams, Sebring (FL): Sebring is not only @Scipio Tex 's negotiated IT company car, but also home to the very talented and late blooming running back. At one point he was scheduled to visit but we think he'll visit Alabama this weekend and Georgia next. About that late blooming; Florida tight end coach, Larry Scott, is the brother of Williams' high school coach, Lavaar Scott. Florida isn't pursuing Williams at all, and Miami certainly isn't recruiting him like you'd expect, especially given Williams' talent, Miami's horrendous class, and their 'in' both with Scott and Edgerrin James being his uncle.

UNOFFICIAL: 

Kelee Ringo, Saguara (AZ): The 5-star corner from Tim Beck's neck of the woods will make a return trip to the 40 Acres. With USC down and UT recruiting Arizona well, you couldn't ask for better early posture in this recruitment. Texas won't land a class nearly as densely populated with out-of-state talent in 2020, but this is the type of prospect you pull out all the stops for.

QUICKLY ON RUNNING BACKS

Alabama is all in on Trey Sanders as we know, but they're also still pursuing DJ Williams. That correlates with what I've been saying in recent weeks, Sanders isn't a done deal to Bama. In fact, they have quite a bit of work to do because Sanders feels like he was misled about Mike Locksley's intentions. In defense of Locksley, he probably thought it was unfathomable Maryland would hire him.

So where does that leave Sanders? Georgia thinks he's going to Florida; Florida thinks he's going to Georgia. Could Texas sneak him out of the house while the parents are arguing? Very doubtful, but his recruitment is still more open than public perception might have you believe.

Texas could really benefit from Georgia and Bama splitting Williams and Sanders. Then Texas could worry about beating Penn State (apparently) for Noah Cain.

NEXT WEEKEND OFFICIAL VISITORS

Next weekend the Horns host Jalen Catalon and Isaiah Hookfin, plus Chris Adimora (Texas pledge), Myron Warren (Texas pledge), and Myron Cunningham.

Adimora was supposed to use an official visit to Arizona State this weekend, but canceled at the last minute.

Cunningham is a Texas/OU battle. Herman has done well to get UT back into the picture, and a last minute visit offers some hope. Cunningham is probably superior to Kennedy, but Kennedy doesn't count towards the class and UT will take all the help it can get.

LSU will in-home with Warren today to string him along a little further. Perhaps Texas can use LSU's negative energy against it and convince Warren to sign early. Go ahead and fill out that NLI while in Austin, big fella.

• Like 1

TFB Open Post: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/12/open-post-weekend-december-7th-9th/

Quick Hitters | Ringo, Sanders, and WRs
– Will Baizer

– 2020 CB Kelee Ringo is set to visit Texas again this weekend. Texas blew him away when he visited three weeks ago vs Iowa State. On top of that former Texas DB and his coach, Bryant Westbrook, has been in his ear about Texas for quite some time. If he is returning, I feel safe in saying that Texas is in the lead here.

– Alabama OC Mike Locksley has been hired away to coach Maryland. However odd of a hire that is for Maryland, it has recruiting implications for Texas.

I’m being told that 2019 RB Trey Sanders was very fond of Locksley, and his departure leaves a sizable window open for either Florida or Texas to come in and snatch him. Hide your kids, hide your croots.

Both Tim Beck and Stan Drayton did in-home visits with Trey Sanders yesterday.

– I’m being told that the staff feels that Lil’Jordan should stay and are telling him such. If Lil’Jordan Humphrey does not receive a draft grade that he finds acceptable, he’ll be wearing burnt orange in 2019. I’m seeing his return becoming more and more of a reality.

Bru McCoy | Herman and Kingsbury In-Home
– Super K

As you may already know by now, Texas wide receiver coach, visited Bru McCoy earlier this week.

McCoy’s father tells me that Tom Herman is scheduled to come out and do an in-home with the McCoy’s next Tuesday.

I’m also told that Kliff Kingsbury will do his in-home visit with Bru and the family this upcoming Saturday. Bru’s father tells me that they are nearing a decision.

I imagine this Saturday and next Tuesday will give them the last bits of information they need and by the end of next week they should know where they are headed.

Quick Hitters | Caleb Johnson
– Will Baizer

– Texas recently had Todd Orlando visit 2019 JUCO LB Caleb Johnson for an in-home. Last we checked we felt Oregon wasn’t as big a threat as others thought. Looks like that is still the case.

Texas is the leader here and looks to solidify that when Tom Herman swings by his house later this week.

2019 Offensive Line Recruiting Numbers
– Super K

Herb Hand has been out seeing a number of new prospects including Butler grad transfer OT, Tommy Kennedy and 2019 high school OT, Dawand Jones (Indianapolis, IN).

Texas will host JUCO OL, Jay Williams this weekend. Williams has yet to pick up a Texas offer but says he’s been given an indication that Herman just wants to see Williams in person before he makes the offer.

JUCO OL, Myron Cunningham is still on the board and we are hearing he may possibly make an official visit next week.

In the high school ranks, Isaiah Hookfin remains a priority…

And there is still a sense of confidence on the Texas side that they may be able to flip Andrew Coker.

In terms of the numbers what I’m hearing at the moment is that they’d like to take one more high school guy and a JUCO guy. Although Kennedy is technically a grad transfer, should Texas offer him and land him, I think they pass on the JUCO targets.

I’m working on notes for each of these prospects which I’ll post a bit later.

Notebook | Replacing Calvin Anderson, New High School Offer & Trey Sanders

– Super K

***Last night, Butler grad transfer left tackle, Tommy Kennedy announced that he will take an official visit to Texas this weekend.

As you can see, he will follow that trip up with a visit to Oklahoma and Miami. Both Oklahoma and Miami have extended offers. To my knowledge, Texas has not yet offered but I’d imagine they are going the same route as they are with JUCO OL, Jay Williams – Herman would like to see them in person before making the offer.

It’s very Sabanesque and I personally like it.

I have to say that covering recruiting for both Texas and Oklahoma the past few years, I always noticed under coach Strong it seemed like there was minimal attempt at trying to bring in guys who could come in and compete for spots right away or at least provide depth. Oklahoma was always fishing around for guys who could come in and push their high school prospects. It’s refreshing to see Herb Hand and the Longhorns finally doing this!

***I asked around a bit about recent 2019 Texas OT offer, Dawand Jones (Indianapolis, IN). Jones is a massive human being. JY had the following to say on Jones…

Love his size. Very much a project for Herb Hand to work on. He needs some time develop his hands and upper body strength. Needs to work to stay on his feet more as he falls more than I’d like to see. He does have some nasty in him.

Jones does hold offers from the likes of Michigan, Ohio State and USC. However, it sounds like there are some guys on those boards who are higher than him. I’m told that Jones has so far only take one official football visit which was to USC. But, he’s a basketball player as well and has taken two basketball official visits – Ball State and Kent State. However, source tells me that Jones will likely play football in college.

I’m told Jones is high on Michigan but a source tells me that they are waiting on another prospect before they push for Jones.

I’m working to find out if or when Jones may make it down to Texas for an OV. I have heard rumors that he grew up a Texas fan but am still working to connect directly with Jones.

***As Will Baizer, mentioned earlier this week, it does seem that the departure of Alabama OC, Mike Locksley may be helping Texas with 5-star running back, Trey Sanders (IMG Academy).

I spoke with a source close to Trey and was told the current pecking order is…

“Alabama, Texas a close second and then Florida”.

***As we’ve noted, Texas will host JUCO OL, Jay Williams this weekend. Again, Williams told us that Texas has let him know that Herman would like to see him before they extend an offer.

Williams took an official visit to Indiana earlier this week. This Texas OV will mark his second official visit.

Williams tells me he won’t have time to squeeze all five visits in but plans to take at least one more official visit after this Texas visit. That visit will be to Florida State.

However, if Texas offers and pushes, I won’t be surprised to see Williams shut things down.

JY’s thoughts on Jay Williams…

Nice frame. 6’6 300 lbs. Sits too wide in his stance. Makes me question his hip flexibility and whether he is a natural knee bender. Great length. I’d like to him be more powerful than he appears to be at this point. I do like how he finishes and he plays very hard. Needs to develop upper body strength and a punch. I’d like to see him work on his pad level. Just raw at this point. Herb Hand is a great coach and it could be a project with high upside