Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

4 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

We also lost our best playmakers at each level of the defense and an otherworldly punter who was conservatively worth about 150 yards in net field position each game. And we still have Tim Beck as our OC, two QB's who can't stay healthy (one of whom appears to acquire brain damage in crunch time) and giant pile of who the fuck knows on the offensive line.

I humbly posit that Gary Johnson's senior season will be better than Malik's junior season. Other than that, fair play.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

We also lost our best playmakers at each level of the defense and an otherworldly punter who was conservatively worth about 150 yards in net field position each game. And we still have Tim Beck as our OC, two QB's who can't stay healthy (one of whom appears to acquire brain damage in crunch time) and giant pile of who the fuck knows on the offensive line.

Rebuttal to your rebuttal: the defensive fall-off will be slight, as Gary may be better than Malik, and some combo of Roach/Wheeler/McCulloch may be superior in Year Two of Orlandos system. Tim Beck’s role in playcalling seems to be reduced, and Hand looks to have more influence over the offensive philosophy. Add to that: Young and Toniel no longer freshmen + Anderson-anchored OL + Ehlinger not being a true freshman and we should have a significantly improved unit. The offense is on Mensa, and he knows that. I understand the pessimism on the football board, but those who follow recruiting should be starting to see the light. Excited to see guys like Sterns&Foster LLC, Josh Thompson, Taquon, and Cosmi get significant minutes. 

Just think after these years in the desert how sweet it’ll be: easier playoff path with BagODicks gone, rain on Jimbo Aggins Shire party, recruiting the next few years creates a monster program a la Clemson, and success dovetails into the stadium expansion, with Del Conte advocating. Boys, let’s fucking eat. 

This probably isn't the right thread for this and don't get me wrong, I'm bullish on this thing overall. But the cake was supposed to be baked last year. Connor Williams anchoring an offensive line with Buechelle having a year under his belt and Tom Herman's fingerprints all over that offense. And then Maryland happened and then the injuries happened and then the fourth quarter meltdowns happened and on and on. 

The only point I'm making is that I'm tempering my expectations. I'm not going to fall for the banana in the tailpipe again.

(preemptive: your mom fell for the banana in the tailpipe last night.)

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

This probably isn't the right thread for this and don't get me wrong, I'm bullish on this thing overall. But the cake was supposed to be baked last year. Connor Williams anchoring an offensive line with Buechelle having a year under his belt and Tom Herman's fingerprints all over that offense. And then Maryland happened and then the injuries happened and then the fourth quarter meltdowns happened and on and on. 

The only point I'm making is that I'm tempering my expectations. I'm not going to fall for the banana in the tailpipe again.

(preemptive: your mom fell for the banana in the tailpipe last night.)

I'm where you're at. Too many questions unanswered. I think Vegas will have our regular season total at 8.5. I still think we get a top 5-8 class though. 

54 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I humbly posit that Gary Johnson's senior season will be better than Malik's junior season. Other than that, fair play.

This.

Also that the loss of Poona Ford will be mitigated by the continued improvement of Charles Omenihu and the vikingness of Hager.

Kris Boyd will be a better DB this season than Holton Hill was last year (when he played).

1 minute ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

This.

Also that the loss of Poona Ford will be mitigated by the continued improvement of Charles Omenihu and the vikingness of Hager.

Kris Boyd will be a better DB this season than Holton Hill was last year (when he played).

It is more likely that Poona's loss is mitigated by the continued development of Taquon Graham, being spelled by Nelson (if he hasn't transferred), Chisholm, and even Christmas or Coburn.  That's the biggest question mark on D, in my mind.  Can we find a nose/noses that can free up LBs the way Poona did last year?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

This.

Generally, I think our defense will be able to handle the losses but may take a small step back from last year, at least at the start of the season.  However, Holton Hill played unbelievably well. Expecting anyone to play better than he did last year it's pretty outrageous.  He was a lockdown corner who also did great in the run game. 

The real problems will lie with the offense once again.  As long as Tim Beck is functioning as our OC, I can't get the optimism to expect or even hope for double digit wins next year.

3 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

This.

HH was a complete baller last year (when on the field).  Hope you are right.

2 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

It is more likely that Poona's loss is mitigated by the continued development of Taquon Graham, being spelled by Nelson (if he hasn't transferred), Chisholm, and even Christmas or Coburn.  That's the biggest question mark on D, in my mind.  Can we find a nose/noses that can free up LBs the way Poona did last year?

Yep. DL is the only position I have any concern about whatsoever in replacing what left, assuming Gary Johnson stays healthy. If he goes down for even a game or two, we'll be in trouble.

11 minutes ago, texasfight2025 said:

HH was a complete baller last year (when on the field).  Hope you are right.

I forget the game (maybe against Baylor), but Hill blew up two blockers on a screen pass and lit up the wideout.  Recall him maybe getting shook up on that play?  It was a thing of beauty. Dude was a beast at anticipating plays. 

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

My bets on next commitments are:

-Tyler Johnson

-Garrett Wilson

-Higgins

-Random unexpected that was on no one's radar as an imminent commitment

I think all 4 happen ahead of during the Spring Game weekend. 

6LPDXKg.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Gary Johnson is the most important non-QB on the roster. If he stays healthy the D should perform near the level it was at last year. Loss of Poona and Malik should be offset by development and less blown coverages in year 2 under Orlando. 

Offense has zero excuse to not improve. Replacing Connor with Calvin and returning almost all our starters plus the addition of Hand. We need improvement here (700 yard back, 1000 yard receiver, and a steady QB) to land some of our top targets like Cain and keep Whittington. 

To me, 9 wins is a reasonable expectation, 10 is hopeful, 8 is the minimum acceptable number. 

Also my #6 class prediction is because USC, Bama, and Clemson all took <20 last year and Georgia will have another monster class. I'm going conservative and guessing one other school jumps us as well. If LSU struggles that changed things and helps our chances with a lot of top guys. 

1 minute ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Gary Johnson is the most important non-QB on the roster. If he stays healthy the D should perform near the level it was at last year. Loss of Poona and Malik should be offset by development and less blown coverages in year 2 under Orlando. 

Offense has zero excuse to not improve. Replacing Connor with Calvin and returning almost all our starters plus the addition of Hand. We need improvement here (700 yard back, 1000 yard receiver, and a steady QB) to land some of our top targets like Cain and keep Whittington. 

To me, 9 wins is a reasonable expectation, 10 is hopeful, 8 is the minimum acceptable number. 

Also my #6 class prediction is because USC, Bama, and Clemson all took <20 last year and Georgia will have another monster class. I'm going conservative and guessing one other school jumps us as well. If LSU struggles that changed things and helps our chances with a lot of top guys. 

giphy.gif

2 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

This.  So much work being put in by those guys behind the scenes.  Herman really did put together an incredible recruiting staff beyond just the coaches on the field.

But are they Lit?

7 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

You forgot aggy's inevitable climb to no.1... CUZ JIMBO!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

My bets on next commitments are:

-Tyler Johnson

-Garrett Wilson

-Higgins

-Random unexpected that was on no one's radar as an imminent commitment

I think all 4 happen ahead of during the Spring Game weekend. 

Gbenda and Shepherd potentially too 

1 hour ago, Katfid54 said:

Wilbon is serviceable

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dbeasy said:

This class needs a juco DT to play nose tackle. 

Agree, and my somewhat unconventional opinion is that we should test the transfer/JUCO market for corner as well. As I wrote on the football board, there's a pretty big gap between the knowns at senior, and the awesome 2018 class. I wonder if Elijah Blades has serious interest in us.

TFB Open Post

Best part: 

We still feel very good about where Texas stands with Branson and we will continue to keep you all updated on Bragg’s recruitment over time. – (Charlie)

The fact that Texas made his top eight comes as no surprise. If you recall, our own Will Baizer and JY provided an in depth look at the Elite Linemans recruitment back in February. Branson Bragg

Shortly after he tweeted out the list, Brandon Drumm from the OU side was able to catch up with him. Brandon asked Branson the reasoning behind including each of the schools on his list. Bragg told him, “Texas is that flagship program. It’s in-state and has the elite coaches that can take my game to the next level. He went on to say, “The university/academic side of it helps too, since the academic prestige is there.”

When Brandon asked about his thoughts on OL Coach Hand, Branson said, “Coach Hand is a super respected guy, and it’s evident when you talk to him that he is also among the best. I would say I am pretty close with him”

We still feel very good about where Texas stands with Branson and we will continue to keep you all updated on Bragg’s recruitment over time. – (Charlie)

Garett Wilson: As you all know one of the big recent visits that happened was Garrett Wilson making his first trip up to Columbus for an unofficial visit to Ohio State.

It’s well known by now that Garrett grew up in Columbus rooting for the Buckeyes. Both Texas and Oklahoma are clearly in the picture with Wilson. I’ve been wondering however, if Ohio State was going to be a real contender or just a school that Wilson liked when he was young but ultimately was better as a childhood memory than a reality.

I chatted briefly with Wilson this past weekend but plan to have a full conversation with him.

Two takeaways from my initial communication with him.

1. The Ohio State trip met his lofty expectations. Again, I thought there was a chance that it could be a visit that ended up being good but not quite what he imagined. That was not the case. Garrett said it was every bit as good as he had hoped and imagined.

2. Wilson said he will indeed take an official visit to Ohio State. That visit is expected to happen later this spring as Wilson would like to make a decision by early summer.

Bottom line here is, Ohio State did what they needed to do to be a threat in this one.

Again, I hope to have more with Wilson later. – (Super K)

NaNa Osafo-Mensah: Top 2019 DE/OLB, NaNa Osaf0-Mensah (Nolan Catholic) was originally planning to take an unofficial visit to Texas this past weekend but that did not materialize.

He let me know that he has rescheduled and plans to visit Texas this upcoming weekend. – (Super K)

Edited by Skyline
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Cleveland-Falls-Out-of-House-in-Bathtub.

6 minutes ago, randygilman said:

Who is Charlie at TFB? That's a new name.

http://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/03/tfb-site-update/

I want to formally introduce you all to Charlie Stewart. We have brought him on to be the TFB Content Manager for our UT and OU sites.

Charlie started on March 15th

Edited by Skyline