Electric Smokers

BottleRocket

Yeah... I know.  Honestly, I quit drinking and the thought of using my offset without drinking beer all day just kills me.  The convenience and utility of electric smokers intrigued me so I bought one when a sale came up.  I bought a Bradley Smoker BS611 off of Ebay for $175.  They typically go for around $250 elsewhere.  It uses wood pucks in an auto feeder.  Each puck smokes for about 20 minutes.   You can get different "flavor" pucks: mesquite, bourbon, apple, pecan, hickory, etc..  For my first attempt I tried something easy - two whole chickens and a rack of pork ribs.   Preheated the smoker on high, put about 8 pucks in the feeder and let it go for around 4-5 hours.  I have to say that it was very good and very easy.  Next up is a brisket. 

3OaZS19.jpg

PxMnp7D.jpg

My FIL has a Bradley.  We did a brisket in it once and it turned out pretty well.  We had to cut the brisket in half to fit it in his and finished it in the oven once it was ready to wrap because it was really cold that day and the smoker was struggling.  I was pretty shocked that it was actually good.  My experiences with Traeger's have not been as good.

Edited by kevwun

I've had my Bradley for about 10 years and used to love it.  Hauled it overseas with me and used it all the time. It's somewhat of a pain to clean and the one I have is too small to fit a brisket (as someone mentioned, you have to cut it in half to fit...) Great for ribs and birds.  Haven't used mine in more than a year though and was thinking of either getting a pellet or one of the wider electrics... Its just to easy to grill and smoke on my big Saber (and I've gotten into sous vide with my Anova...)

10 hours ago, Paco said:

How low can you set the temp?

"Off" is about as low as you can go.   

For $100 more you can get the digital version which has settings for time and temperature.  They also sell a "cold smoke" adapter for smoking sausage, cheese, ham or  fish.  I'm sure you could make this offset cold smoke adapter yourself as it appears to be a small length of flex duct that creates a gap between the smoker and the box.

52z6a.jpg

18 hours ago, BottleRocket said:

Yeah... I know.  Honestly, I quit drinking and the thought of using my offset without drinking beer all day just kills me.  The convenience and utility of electric smokers intrigued me so I bought one when a sale came up.  I bought a Bradley Smoker BS611 off of Ebay for $175.  They typically go for around $250 elsewhere.  It uses wood pucks in an auto feeder.  Each puck smokes for about 20 minutes.   You can get different "flavor" pucks: mesquite, bourbon, apple, pecan, hickory, etc..  For my first attempt I tried something easy - two whole chickens and a rack of pork ribs.   Preheated the smoker on high, put about 8 pucks in the feeder and let it go for around 4-5 hours.  I have to say that it was very good and very easy.  Next up is a brisket. 

3OaZS19.jpg

PxMnp7D.jpg

Depends upon your expectations for brisket.  Not going to get much bark.  That white smoke you see isn't your friend.  You need that invisible "blue" smoke to get that great dark, rich textured bark we associate with Texas BBQ.

Ever heard of a Passover brisket?  Prepped, covered, cooked in the oven?  I think with an electric smoker you can split the difference?  Bet you may have something there!

A Q team @ BBQ Austin, "Pellet Mafia", comprised of all women took 2nd or 3rd in I think 3 different categories.

Not enough to win the overall, however they did place well enough for a group that only had 1 space. (Grand Champeen was "Double Barrel", 2 years running now. Also the San Antonio winner IIRC).

I know nothing about their product other than they were 10% on Traeger equiplent.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

On 3/29/2018 at 11:00 AM, BabaYaga said:
Depends upon your expectations for brisket.  Not going to get much bark.  That white smoke you see isn't your friend.  You need that invisible "blue" smoke to get that great dark, rich textured bark we associate with Texas BBQ.

Ever heard of a Passover brisket?  Prepped, covered, cooked in the oven?  I think with an electric smoker you can split the difference?  Bet you may have something there!

That’s a decal bro

I’ve got the 4 rack Bradley digital and the cold smoke attachment. Main cons to an electric smoker is recovery time and the size. You won’t get the smoke ring or bark you are used to on some stuff. I order the briquettes on amazon.

I usually smoke ribs, sausage, summer sausage, turkey legs and pork butts in mine. I’ve done steaks too and a couple of briskets.

It’s great to be able to set it up and go watch a game or nap or anything else and come back when it’s finished.

I normally use mesquite and hickory for everything. I’ve got some oak I’m gonna try on a brisket later. On a longer cook, I’ll take it out of the smoker once I’m done with the smoke part and throw it in the oven. (Blasphemous I know)

I have the Masterbuilt 30" and it is fantastic. 

81cT99mrWxL._SL1500_.jpg

I agree that having to babysit an offset is all fine and good.  But the simplicity of an electric is my style.  And it kicks out some awesome ribs, butt, brisket.  Did an absolutely awesome turkey for thanskgiving, and was widely praised.

27 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

I have the Masterbuilt 30" and it is fantastic. 

81cT99mrWxL._SL1500_.jpg

I agree that having to babysit an offset is all fine and good.  But the simplicity of an electric is my style.  And it kicks out some awesome ribs, butt, brisket.  Did an absolutely awesome turkey for thanskgiving, and was widely praised.

I once had a different model electric box by this manufacturer, I found it had a tendency to "steam", this could be good and bad. Good for tender meat, bad for bark

5 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

What did you space the pucks out for? I’ve never seen it done like that.

The two on top push the ashes through to the water bowl when it's done smoking.   The others probably aren't really doing anything.  I did remove several pucks and move the brisket up to a middle rack from the start.   I figured at 20 minutes of smoke per puck I'd need 6 for two hours of smoke.  Total time in the smoker was 7 hours.  I am having an issue with pucks getting stuck and not dropping which means I do have to keep an eye on it until I figure out what's causing that problem.

Sorry about the size of the pics.

Yeah I knew what the top two were for. I just wasn’t sure if there was a reason behind putting the one in the middle. I just stack mine up and let it go.

If it’s not feeding properly, you can pull the back off the smoke generator and blow it out with air. A lot of the time, it is something simple. Have you checked out the Bradley forum?

What wood did you use for it? Looks like it turned out pretty good.

+1 on the Masterbuilt. I’ve got the 40” Bluetooth one and love it. It’s well insulated so temps stay steady, built in meat probe matches my maverick readings, and there’s plenty of room in it.

Cons: can’t go over 275 if you have the need to, max time setting is 12 hours.

Brisket is hit or miss in it but everything else comes out awesome. If you crush up some charcoal and put it in with the wood, it’s harder to tell that it was cooked on an electric one. Don’t buy at bass pro, Sams or Costco will be $100 cheaper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 4/4/2018 at 3:30 PM, tokamak said:

Couple of guys at work have these and swear by them. The idea of setting it and walking away is very appealing. I've found that I just don't have the patience to tend to my current kamado-style setup all day long.

what are you having to adjust on a kamodo constantly?  I've got a bge and they should be pretty similar.  if you do an add on fan manager like a guru or bbq-stoker, it's pretty much on auto pilot for overnight cooks.  I've got the bbq-stoker and still beg off to go check on the egg, but it's really just to get outside and drink another beer.

A buddy brought a traeger out on a Y-guides campout and we did not get the grease drain tilted properly and the grease did not run out of the box, but collected on the base and eventually caught fire and promptly caused the unit to shut off.  Once we got it situated the right way, it cranked out a really good brisket.

7 hours ago, gyroprotagonist said:

what are you having to adjust on a kamodo constantly?  I've got a bge and they should be pretty similar.  if you do an add on fan manager like a guru or bbq-stoker, it's pretty much on auto pilot for overnight cooks.  I've got the bbq-stoker and still beg off to go check on the egg, but it's really just to get outside and drink another beer.

A buddy brought a traeger out on a Y-guides campout and we did not get the grease drain tilted properly and the grease did not run out of the box, but collected on the base and eventually caught fire and promptly caused the unit to shut off.  Once we got it situated the right way, it cranked out a really good brisket.

I've never gotten the hang of getting the temp steady. It's just a constant tinkering with the air vents to get it in the right range and keep it there. Then to add more wood chunks, you have to remove the meat, grate, and heat deflector. It's a real pain in the ass.

13 hours ago, tokamak said:

I've never gotten the hang of getting the temp steady. It's just a constant tinkering with the air vents to get it in the right range and keep it there. Then to add more wood chunks, you have to remove the meat, grate, and heat deflector. It's a real pain in the ass.

should be able to load a kamodo/bge with enough lump charcoal and a few wood chunks to last for an 18hour cook.  the heavy ceramic enclosure keeps the temp w/o the need for a lot of fuel.

But you should check out the temp regulators as that would solve one of your biggest headaches.

2 minutes ago, gyroprotagonist said:

should be able to load a kamodo/bge with enough lump charcoal and a few wood chunks to last for an 18hour cook.  the heavy ceramic enclosure keeps the temp w/o the need for a lot of fuel.

But you should check out the temp regulators as that would solve one of your biggest headaches.

Charcoal is never a problem, but a few chunks of wood usually only gives me good smoke for an hour or two before burning out. I'm obviously doing it wrong somehow.

• 1 year later...

Just did my first smoked meatloaf.  Haven't tasted yet, but smells finominle.  Threw on a rack of baby backs as long as it was going. 

Mixture of onions, bell peppers, tomato paste and chicken broth to mix with ground beef and sausage

51735efe28b9e1c2f34e259461b99825.jpg

4f4dee3d9c631fedbac934785ee62bd2.jpg

47a20d290cc08c88ae3ac248aede637a.jpg

• Like 3

My pops has one.  Lives up in WA state near my brother.  TONS of fish up there obviously so he purchased one and he loves it.  Convert from a life-long offset guy.  

*not sure if I told this before, but last summer we were up there with the family.  On their back porch we notice a disproportionate amount of wasps that were getting a little aggressive.  No nest we could see?  But they were getting mad.  Then we notice a bunch congregating under the electric smoker cover.  Pull it off, and many more.  Open the smoker, and a fucking nest the size of a soccer ball wrapped around the bottom electric coils.  Slam it shut.  Duct tape over the hole they were using.  Plug it in.  Turned it on.  Fuck all wasps.  Smoke starts billowing out.  Satisfying does not even come close to the feeling we felt.

• Like 4

My pops has one.  Lives up in WA state near my brother.  TONS of fish up there obviously so he purchased one and he loves it.  Convert from a life-long offset guy.  
*not sure if I told this before, but last summer we were up there with the family.  On their back porch we notice a disproportionate amount of wasps that were getting a little aggressive.  No nest we could see?  But they were getting mad.  Then we notice a bunch congregating under the electric smoker cover.  Pull it off, and many more.  Open the smoker, and a fucking nest the size of a soccer ball wrapped around the bottom electric coils.  Slam it shut.  Duct tape over the hole they were using.  Plug it in.  Turned it on.  Fuck all wasps.  Smoke starts billowing out.  Satisfying does not even come close to the feeling we felt.

How did the smoked wasps taste?