Game 19: Texas at TCU, 6 PM, ESPNU

Machinator

3 minutes ago, GeorgetownLaw said:

OK. I don’t get to watch much college basketball (I’m overseas) but why don’t we run plays?  That Hayes kid looks like he could a be threat in the middle. 

We do. Our play is to throw the ball around randomly and then launch a three.

• Like 2

LOL was out taking a walk this evening with the headphones, caught the last 3 minutes. 

I knew we would lose, so I had no aspirations, but it was pathetically funny listening to Way's call.  You could hear him getting frustrated within the last minute, and then especially the last 30 seconds.  On that klanker last 3 attempt that landed somewhere in Amarillo, you could hear him almost saying behind his breath, "fuck this shit."  I'm not sure I ever heard him that.. what... frustrated?  Pissed off?  "Here we go again" type stuff.

Anyway, that's something I guess I've heard from him before but mostly earlier in his career.  It's almost as if he was Bob Uecker calling the Indians games in Major Leaague.

Edited by phdhorn

The lack of hustle/focus was what pissed me off tonight.  DO watched at least two balls go out of bounds that he easily could have handled.  (That's what she said.)  I started to watch the lane to see if anyone was even trying to box out...not really.  If DO and Simms are going to play like little bitches, put Hepa in.  At least the guy tries.  He may not be as good (right now), but I'd rather watch us try and lose and not try and lose.  And of course the final shot is some bullshit prayer that hits the top of the backboard.

1 minute ago, phdhorn said:

LOL was out taking a walk this evening with the headphones, caught the last 3 minutes. 

I knew we would lose, so I had no aspirations, but it was pathetically funny listening to Way's call.  You could hear him getting frustrated within the last minute, and then especially the last 30 seconds.  On that klanker last 3 attempt that landed somewhere in Amarillo, you could hear him almost saying behind his breath, "fuck this shit."  I'm not sure I ever heard him that.. what... frustrated?  Pissed off?  "Here we go again" type stuff.

Anyway, that's something I guess I've heard from him before but mostly earlier in his career.  It's almost as if he was Bob Uecker calling the Indians games in Major Leaague.

Other than Lowell Galindo, I've noticed quite a few announcers wondering (out loud) what the f is going on during the game.  I have no idea who was announcing tonight, but they seemed perplexed as to what Shaka was trying to accomplish. 

1 minute ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Other than Lowell Galindo, I've noticed quite a few announcers wondering (out loud) what the f is going on during the game.  I have no idea who was announcing tonight, but they seemed perplexed as to what Shaka was trying to accomplish. 

Well, he’s quite sucessfully getting a very large check for piss poor results for the third year.

10 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

The lack of hustle/focus was what pissed me off tonight.  DO watched at least two balls go out of bounds that he easily could have handled.  (That's what she said.)  I started to watch the lane to see if anyone was even trying to box out...not really.  If DO and Simms are going to play like little bitches, put Hepa in.  At least the guy tries.  He may not be as good (right now), but I'd rather watch us try and lose and not try and lose.  And of course the final shot is some bullshit prayer that hits the top of the backboard.

The rebounding is what has been pissing me off most lately. The strength of this team (and coaching staff) is defense, and that advantage is mitigated if we can't finish the defensive possession.

4 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

We do. Our play is to throw the ball around randomly and then launch a three.

Absolutely this!  I am no B-ball guru, but I've been saying this since his first season.  There has gotta be a way come out and do a play that gets you a high percentage shot.  Shaka's teams dribble too much. Pass, pop and shoot.  I don't see this ending well for Shaka at UT.

12 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Rebounding has been an issue every year he’s been here. Turns having one of your bugs stand outside the 3pt line all game doesn’t help on the offensive boards.

This is what pissed me off the most last night.  Particularly in the first half.  It's like Ramey (among others) have never been coached to box out in their life.   Lack of hustle and overall sloppy.  TCU just a much better coached team.   I thought Barnes was a little overboard at times sitting players when he noticed a lazy play, bad shot, lack of focus, etc. but there were multiple times last night Shaka should have benched players to make a point.   This isn't an elite roster but if Dixon was coaching this team I'm confident it would be top 20 and competing for a Big 12 title.   Frustrating we're going to waste yet another lottery pick.

When Dylan O missed a 3 in the second half, the TCU radio announcer said "You let that guy take that shot all day long" 

It only took us an entire season to figure that out. Dylan is still shooting 27% behind the arc, but at least this year he doesn't lead our team in 3 pt attempts.