1 minute ago, Whatever said:

Elvis Pressley

The Super Bowl 

Video games

Apple Inc. products

BMW

Mercedes

Mi Cocina

Yes to pretty much all of the above except Elvis, and I'm not a huge Elvis fan.  

Mercedes is an icon of the automobile world since it's inception so not sure how they'd be considered over rated.

1 minute ago, Bat Guano said:

The Beatles <== Huh?

Frank Gehry <== Well, yeah, unless the category is "best eyesore creator"

Abraham Lincoln <== Okay, now you're just trolling

James Joyce <== Okay, maybe you're not trolling, because this is the very definition of the category

Beef tenderloin <== I'm trying to remember the last time anybody rated this as their prime entree

Canada <== Huh. Maybe if you're comparing it to Latvia.

I gotta admit, you didn't go with any standard entries.

19 hours ago, Walden Ponderer said:

I gotta admit, you didn't go with any standard entries.

OK, the only one I'm really serious about is the Beatles. They have maybe 2 or 3 good songs. Most of their early stuff is ear-wormy, inane bourgeois pop, which morphed into pretentious self-indulgent sludge after they started doing more drugs. Maybe this should go in the Unpopular Opinions thread....

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Bat Guano said:

Maybe this should go in the Unpopular Opinions thread....

Probably. I haven't really listened to them in forever, but the simple truth is that they blended a bunch of different influences that had simply never been done before, and created an entire new genre, influencing most of the musicians who came after them for the next 25 years. I don't like listening to Elvis, either, but calling him overrated would be just, you know... weird.

58 minutes ago, Bat Guano said:

OK, the only one I'm really serious about is the Beatles. They have maybe 2 or 3 good songs. Most of their early stuff is ear-wormy, inane bourgeois pop, which morphed into pretentious self-indulgent sludge after they started doing more drugs. Maybe this should go in the Unpopular Opinions thread....

I agree with you. Stones > Beatles

1 hour ago, Bat Guano said:

Or maybe you just have no taste....

12 minutes ago, lateshow said:

Don't know. Don't care. I just know that the Stones music is way better than the Beatles overrated catalog. 

I love the Stones and the Beatles. Stones were more bad boy rocking stuff, Beatles more pop, varied in their music.  Ain't a damned thing over rated about their music (overall) or the impact they had on pop and rock however, as much as anyone here would like to say..

15 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I love the Stones and the Beatles. Stones were more bad boy rocking stuff, Beatles more pop, varied in their music.  Ain't a damned thing over rated about their music (overall) or the impact they had on pop and rock however, as much as anyone here would like to say..

This is exactly right. You may not like most Beatles songs, and like many people you might like other bands way more than the Beatles. But there's a difference between "taste" or "preference" vs "overrated." They had more influence than any other musicians in the 20th century, and they essentially created modern rock music and the rock industry as we still know it.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, honolulu horn said:

This is exactly right. You may not like most Beatles songs, and like many people you might like other bands way more than the Beatles. But there's a difference between "taste" or "preference" vs "overrated." They had more influence than any other musicians in the 20th century, and they essentially created modern rock music and the rock industry as we still know it.

I think it's simpler than that; if a band sucks and lots of people think it's the greatest band in history, then it is, by definition, overrated. Maybe 'sucks' is too strong to apply to the Beatles, but they were not, objectively, as good as their reputation. Teenage girls in the 60s didn't have infallible taste, and popularity does not equate to quality. As for influence, that's a function of popularity; and I'll note that the bands that most closely copied the Beatles sound sort of sucked, too (Oasis comes to mind). Beatles created the rock industry? That's pure nonsense. They created rock music? Chuck Berry says you're full of shit.

7 minutes ago, Bat Guano said:

I think it's simpler than that; if a band sucks and lots of people think it's the greatest band in history, then it is, by definition, overrated. Maybe 'sucks' is too strong to apply to the Beatles, but they were not, objectively, as good as their reputation. Teenage girls in the 60s didn't have infallible taste, and popularity does not equate to quality. As for influence, that's a function of popularity; and I'll note that the bands that most closely copied the Beatles sound sort of sucked, too (Oasis comes to mind). Beatles created the rock industry? That's pure nonsense. They created rock music? Chuck Berry says you're full of shit.

It wasn't just 16 year old girls who liked the Beatles. They influenced lots of music going forward, not just individual bands. No, they didn't create rock music, but they made it popular the world over like no other band of their time.  They were the first super band.  

They aren't over rated, they're pioneers like Berry was to be sure.  Popularity is attached to quality to a degree, and the amount of their popularity is directly proportional to their quality.  They have a string of albums with great music from the opening track right on thru the last track. That's personal opinion, but it's opinion shared by hundreds and hundreds of millions of people over 60 + years.

Blue Blood football programs that haven't done shit in over 20 years (you know who they are)
WAR (as "the" baseball statistic)
Tiger Woods comeback (he's the GOAT, but right now he is merely a top 20 player)
Regular season NBA, NCAA, NHL games (these have become playoff sports)
Weather threads (sorry phdhorn)
Dallas (as a former Houston resident, I would be remiss for not including this on my list)

3 hours ago, Bat Guano said:

Beatles created the rock industry? That's pure nonsense. They created rock music? Chuck Berry says you're full of shit.

I didn't say they created rock music or the rock industry. I said they created modern rock music and rock industry, which by all accounts is accurate. The modern rock industry owes pretty much everything it does to the Beatles -- stadium shows, mass promotion, image-making, interviews, marketing, timing of releases, copyrighting songs, modern touring, legal infrastructure, films, TV, politics, drugs, on and on ad on.  Each of those was totally different after the Beatles. And songwriting after the Beatles has never been the same. Chuck Berry was the rock originator in my opinion too, and there are several I-IV-V major pentatonic songs written today just like he wrote (over and over and over and over again) -- but the sheer variety and freedom we see in rock music since 1964 is unlike anything that preceded it, and that's direct a result of the Beatles.

4 hours ago, Bat Guano said:

Maybe 'sucks' is too strong to apply to the Beatles, but they were not, objectively, as good as their reputation. 

Says who?

You and an infinitesimal amount of critics, industry insiders, fellow musicians and fans in the world ≠ overrated. 

Pull your head out of your ass.

Edited by smuggs

23 hours ago, Bat Guano said:

You do realize you sound like a complete moron right ?

I guess maybe not.

Try and find one person in the music business (you know people that actually know music) young or old that agrees with you......

We will all hang up and wait.

Confusing over rated with "I just don't like them" or I'm just a completely stubborn, mor-ron is the crux of some of the posts in this thread.  

Lots of shit I hate or dislike, but I can recognize it's relevance or value without personal preference.  Not recognizing what the Beatles are to rock and roll history is like saying the Apollo landings were staged or the Earth is flat.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

It's almost like they think they were from Texas

My likely future SIL is from Colorado. I joked to his parents about what it must feel like to have Texans invading Colorado since forever. His parents both said that most native Coloradans would’ve never complained had they known what the California invasion would be like. 

• Like 1

Just now, ImissWallyPryor said:

My likely future SIL is from Colorado. I joked to his parents about what it must feel like to have Texans invading Colorado since forever. His parents both said that most native Coloradans would’ve never complained had they known what the California invasion would be like. 

Yeah, but for years Coloradans have HAAAAAAATED Texans... that whole skiing in jeans thing I believe.....

9 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Yeah, but for years Coloradans have HAAAAAAATED Texans... that whole skiing in jeans thing I believe.....

I've learned they hate just about everyone who wasn't born here. They hate people from Kansas, Nebraska, Wyoming (I mean seriously), and list just goes on. The most myopic and insecure bunch of people. Congrats, your mom plopped you out in Colorado, does that make you somehow superhuman?

1 hour ago, honolulu horn said:

I've learned they hate just about everyone who wasn't born here. They hate people from Kansas, Nebraska, Wyoming (I mean seriously), and list just goes on. The most myopic and insecure bunch of people. Congrats, your mom plopped you out in Colorado, does that make you somehow superhuman?

yeah but what do hawaiians think about transplants?

14 hours ago, honolulu horn said:

You realize you're posting on a message board comprised mainly of Texans right?

1 hour ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Lulz. I'm a pretty damn good skier (at least I was before I caught the olds), but I've done that a few times. Why would anybody give a fuck?

Yeah I used To ski in jeans and boot gaters.  

Apparently that's a big no no and makes you the subject of ridicule and scorn.