2020 OL Jake Majors

texifornia

1 minute ago, rickyspub said:

How does his film compare to this year's 5-star guard 4-star tackle Kenyon Green? I watched both of their sophomore film to see how they compared at that age, but I am not well-versed in what makes a great OL. Green's base was already huge as a sophomore, but his feet looked heavy. Majors seems light in the butt by comparison, but he looked much nimbler. Both guys showed a lot of aggression.

fify - aggy can thank themselves for shooting themselves in the foot on that ranking

Just now, texifornia said:

fify - aggy can thank themselves for shooting themselves in the foot on that ranking

He is still 5 star in the composite, but if they are using stars as NFL projections, he will never sniff a second at tackle in the pros. He was already a blue chip as a sophomore, so I wondered how his film compared to Majors. I am going to guess his huge anchor is why he was so heralded and Majors isn't, to my untrained eye there wasn't much in his film that stood out as different from Majors's.

He looks shot out of a cannon on that first highlight, but on the whole he doesn't seem naturally quick (like I can't imagine him on a basketball court or soccer pitch).  However, his footwork is really good, so picking up his blocks and working up to the next level seems effortless.  I'm interested to see how he measures up in a camp environment.

But he is underrated where he's at, and everyone recognizes that (hence the bellyaching from aggy about a potential bump).

14 hours ago, CallusPhallus said:

I have not paid much attention, but he seems to have more technique in his game than most guys his age. He has a mean streak and does not solely rely on just being bigger. I think this will prove to be a great get, along with the others in the trenches this class. Great pickup  hook 'em!

Jake Majors' film show good technique while executing a bunch of different assignments.  In pass pro, he pushes speed rushers deep past the QB.  He uses his feet to stay in front of the defender, stays low and uses his hands to fend off a bull rush.  Very good fundamentals.

Some guys dominate just because of their size and strength.  Their tape usually just shows them drive blocking the DL lined up over them.  Not Majors.  He does that but also shows a  whole lot more too.  He executes zone blocks well (granted it's a highlight tape).  But he also is mobile and looks really good in space, which is critical for modern offenses.  Majors executes the reach block with good footwork.  He pulls on what looks like a counter trey.  He locates and flattens LBs in space.  He even gets out on the edge and takes out DBs on the WR screen.  A lot of big OL can't make that block since the DBs are so much quicker than them.

8 minutes ago, JBJ said:

He looks shot out of a cannon on that first highlight, but on the whole he doesn't seem naturally quick (like I can't imagine him on a basketball court or soccer pitch).  However, his footwork is really good, so picking up his blocks and working up to the next level seems effortless.  I'm interested to see how he measures up in a camp environment.

But he is underrated where he's at, and everyone recognizes that (hence the bellyaching from aggy about a potential bump).

But how "hard" of a prospect is he? Semi or full hard?

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, texifornia said:

DxuoJcLV4AAtIpj.jpg

6 hours ago, Red Five said:

Ok gonna need an explanation for bathwater bunch.

You will have to ask Liucci. Not sure who Herman's Hermits are either. But they are think Jake Majors is one of the best hard prospects in the country. Rock hard recruits.

Edited by Valmy77

6 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

You will have to ask Liucci. Not sure who Herman's Hermits are either. But they are think Jake Majors is one of the best hard prospects in the country. Rock hard recruits.

Looch evaluates the whole package. He likes to size up teenaged boys. 

On 1/25/2019 at 10:22 AM, sushihorn said:

Jake Majors' film show good technique while executing a bunch of different assignments.  In pass pro, he pushes speed rushers deep past the QB.  He uses his feet to stay in front of the defender, stays low and uses his hands to fend off a bull rush.  Very good fundamentals.

Some guys dominate just because of their size and strength.  Their tape usually just shows them drive blocking the DL lined up over them.  Not Majors.  He does that but also shows a  whole lot more too.  He executes zone blocks well (granted it's a highlight tape).  But he also is mobile and looks really good in space, which is critical for modern offenses.  Majors executes the reach block with good footwork.  He pulls on what looks like a counter trey.  He locates and flattens LBs in space.  He even gets out on the edge and takes out DBs on the WR screen.  A lot of big OL can't make that block since the DBs are so much quicker than them.

Thx.... Always appreciate your tape breakdowns 🤘

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...