2019 ATH Bru McCoy

texifornia

So Bru was a homesick bitch who couldn’t handle being away from Mommy. And then he faked being sick because he couldn’t handle the pressure back in Southern California.

I’m sure he’ll pan out. Just keep lots of tampons handy. And a fake doctor nearby. 

This stood out to me the most, especially since it was coming from Naivar. 

“Here comes five-star Bru jumping in, so they all wanted to take a shot at him and get after him, and he didn’t back down. That was impressive for a young guy coming in as a true freshman during spring ball. So that was what most impressed me. Those guys were taking shots at him every day, just to test his worth, for lack of a better term, and he got after it and competed.”

Welcome to freshmen orientation.  Oh well, I guess.  I doubt the Texas players treat out of state players any differently, but who knows.  I can see how it could be harder to establish a friend-base coming out of state, but that's something I would expect the program would address. And if the second year players want to challenge a first year 5 star, kudos to them.  That's what competition is about. 

1 minute ago, Hmmm said:

“Here comes five-star Bru jumping in, so they all wanted to take a shot at him and get after him, and he didn’t back down. That was impressive for a young guy coming in as a true freshman during spring ball. So that was what most impressed me. Those guys were taking shots at him every day, just to test his worth, for lack of a better term, and he got after it and competed.”

Welcome to freshmen orientation.  Oh well, I guess.  I doubt the Texas players treat out of state players any differently, but who knows.  I can see how it could be harder to establish a friend-base coming out of state, but that's something I would expect the program would address. And if the second year players want to challenge a first year 5 star, kudos to them.  That's what competition is about. 

I mean he was a five star who's recruitment was an incredibly well publicized circus. In-state or out-of-state, they all wanted to see if he was the real deal.

The only real difference is probably that since no one played him in high school, they really had no idea what he was made of (AngelSoft tissues, as it turned out), so there was a little extra incentive to test him.

Article was in "The Athletic"

He was worth it’: Bru McCoy’s tumultuous 2019, as those in his corner lived it

GettyImages-1179559664-scaled-e1583754643230-1024x682.jpg 

Ready for Bru's Helicopter Parents to learn discretion and stay out of the damn limelight!!

Bru needs to let his play do his talking...

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

And zero words from bru McCoy himself. 

It's not uncommon for teams to restrict media availability for their players.  Mack had a rule that no player could talk to the media until they played in a game, I'm sure usc has something along those lines.  They can't control the player families though. 

The article gave an Interesting perspective though.  

39 minutes ago, futureman said:

I didn’t get that far in the article.  he wasn’t really sick?  he actually faked it?

the article said he got mono, then strep, then still had fever after treatment, and was diagnosed with legionella, then still had fever and trying to look for fever and shit.  Eventually it subsided.. something along those lines.

5 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Sometime in between Texas and home, Bru had come down with mono. He also got strep throat, keeping him out of USC’s summer workouts until his fever subsided — except when he was finished with his antibiotics, the fever remained. Two more weeks passed, and Bru’s fever had stuck around for a month.

That’s when Horace and Shelby really became worried there was a more serious condition behind all this. On another trip to the doctor, McCoy tested positive for Legionella, which causes an illness similar to pneumonia. He was on another antibiotic for 14 days. At the end of July, his fever persisted.

Some days, Bru would feel good. In the morning he would run a fever, then during the day he’d feel better, and at night it would kick back up again. In search of solutions, his parents moved him out of his apartment because it had a high mold count. They put a HEPA air filter in his room. Bru went to the hospital for three days to rule out cancers.

2 hours ago, westexhorn said:

the article said he got mono, then strep, then still had fever after treatment, and was diagnosed with legionella, then still had fever and trying to look for fever and shit.  Eventually it subsided.. something along those lines.

Right. It’s bullshit. 

That sounds like a military culture of taking the new guys thru a harassment phase under the ancient theory that it will make them tougher and more effective. The reality, as I’ve now stated multiple times, is that a military style culture in a college football program is probably a disaster strategy. It especially becomes difficult for players coming from out of state.

The player talent of this generation does not respond favorably to 1950’s training techniques. There are some interesting articles out there about how Pete Carroll figured this out. The culture is obviously being set by Herman and this could ultimately be his undoing.

Note, you can have a tough environment that demands performance without demeaning young men.

5 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

That sounds like a military culture of taking the new guys thru a harassment phase under the ancient theory that it will make them tougher and more effective. The reality, as I’ve now stated multiple times, is that a military style culture in a college football program is probably a disaster strategy. It especially becomes difficult for players coming from out of state.

The player talent of this generation does not respond favorably to 1950’s training techniques. There are some interesting articles out there about how Pete Carroll figured this out. The culture is obviously being set by Herman and this could ultimately be his undoing.

Note, you can have a tough environment that demands performance without demeaning young men.

Don't overthink it.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Mmmm nah he’s just a pussy.

19 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

No he is just a little bitch. You didn’t see all of the other out of state players run away 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

It's sports, dude. A guy who came in with that much hype and circus is going to get tested to see if he's really that good.

Also, it's in Naivar's interest to make Bru seem like the good guy since they're at SC together.

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

I’m sure if we had more grounded young men and strong leaders, like Zach Evans, then this deplorable culture of competing hard in practice wouldn’t exist. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

Fuck Pete Carroll.

Although very long, the article made me puke only about three times.

What a pussy.

11 hours ago, Hmmm said:

Uh, didn't he do exactly that?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

I agree with you about the 1950s techniques and the modern athlete, it didn't work exceedingly well on the 50s athlete either, but I digress. But this staff isn't like that at all. There isn't a Jim Turner in the bunch, now it is true that Meh is a total dickface but I don't think that was the issue at all. Bru wasn't hazed and brutalized by the guys on this team a la Full Metal Jacket. He was tested between the stripes because that's what top tier guys do. They want every rep against a top tier guy - and they want to push them to the limit. Fostering competition is this staff's MO.  

That entire biased article goes through and glosses over the single biggest issue - Bru missed his fucking girlfriend. That's why he's clearly triggered by the phrase "homesick" because he feels demeaned when it comes up. He clearly has hangups about the fact that he couldn't make it at Texas because he left his high school girlfriend behind. It wasn't about Texas. It wasn't about bullying. It wasn't about Tom Herman. It wasn't about USC, or Clay Helton, or which position coach or OC was in place, because ALL of that was in flux at USC. It was about a girl and he's embarrassed that it was. 

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, golfclap said:

I agree with you about the 1950s techniques and the modern athlete, it didn't work exceedingly well on the 50s athlete either, but I digress. But this staff isn't like that at all. There isn't a Jim Turner in the bunch, now it is true that Meh is a total dickface but I don't think that was the issue at all. Bru wasn't hazed and brutalized by the guys on this team a la Full Metal Jacket. He was tested between the stripes because that's what top tier guys do. They want every rep against a top tier guy - and they want to push them to the limit. Fostering competition is this staff's MO.  

That entire biased article goes through and glosses over the single biggest issue - Bru missed his fucking girlfriend. That's why he's clearly triggered by the phrase "homesick" because he feels demeaned when it comes up. He clearly has hangups about the fact that he couldn't make it at Texas because he left his high school girlfriend behind. It wasn't about Texas. It wasn't about bullying. It wasn't about Tom Herman. It wasn't about USC, or Clay Helton, or which position coach or OC was in place, because ALL of that was in flux at USC. It was about a girl and he's embarrassed that it was. 

same girl..still left him lol

11 hours ago, westexhorn said:

I had walking pneumonia in high school (during track season) and it sounded like this.  Wake up ok, make it through school then track workouts, end up feverish every night.  I got weaker and weaker during the course of the season.  Coach didn't believe I was really sick since I could make it through workouts.   Eventually it caught up to me. 

35 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Yup!  He threw away an entire year because he couldn't get over some high school pussy only to get dumped when he got back. 

I am not sure the article answers the key question of why he left Texas. It's clear why left USC the first time but why did he leave Texas? The article makes a weak attempt to answer the question by quoting Naivar on Bru being challenged by Texas safeties but I can't believe that's the reason. Any athlete of that caliber is used to being challenged and taunted by DBs in practice. They prepare for this their whole lives.

I also find it funny that the writer implies that the family didn't know if USC would take him back. You are telling me Bru didn't have some assurances from the USC coaching stuff? Let's all pretend that didn't take place.

This is nothing more than an attempt by the McCoy family and USC to try to do a damage control before his spring game debut. I didn't learn anything new and all I read was some fiction.

1 hour ago, Nuge said:

I had walking pneumonia in high school (during track season) and it sounded like this.  Wake up ok, make it through school then track workouts, end up feverish every night.  I got weaker and weaker during the course of the season.  Coach didn't believe I was really sick since I could make it through workouts.   Eventually it caught up to me. 

Sounds like you had a case of the... Bru-han Flu.

spacer.png

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

sounds like something pussies would say

• Like 1

12 hours ago, texifornia said:

It's sports, dude. A guy who came in with that much hype and circus is going to get tested to see if he's really that good.

Also, it's in Naivar's interest to make Bru seem like the good guy since they're at SC together.

Kinda funny how Naivar throws shade at former players that he was coaching.  As if he had no control over the DBs who were taking shots at Bru.  Some coaches are very good politicians.  Don't know much about Naivar and his ability to coach-speak.  Then again, culture normally trickles down from the top.

Edited by Hmmm

18 minutes ago, Hmmm said:

Kinda funny how Naivar throws shade at former players that he was coaching.  As if he had no control over the DBs who were taking shots at Bru.  Some coaches are very good politicians.  Don't know much about Naivar and his ability to coach-speak.  Then again, culture normally trickles down from the top.

None of that was throwing shade at our DBs. What are you and dbeasy smoking?
There’s nothing negative about our most talented DBs wanting to challenge a top 10 rated player in the country in practice. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

There’s nothing negative about our most talented DBs wanting to challenge a top 10 rated player in the country in practice. 

if you read my prior post, you would know i do not think anything is wrong with competition (or challenge as you put it).   i don't know where you got that from.  perhaps you should smoke more.  but to "take a shot" at someone, and in context of the article, does seem rather shade-worthy.  very possible his quote was taken out of context or he could have used better words.

as a coach, i would never encourage players to "take a shot" at someone unless they were playing basketball.

Edited by Hmmm

Your mischaracterization of my comments sure makes it look like you don’t have a lot of experience leading a large number of young men. Do you have any experience at all leading more than a Boy Scout troop? Let me guess. You probably are a nice little team leader or a manager. Impressive.

As I’ve previously said, and you continuously can’t seem to understand, it’s not about challenging a player. I already stated that. Is that too difficult for you to discern?
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

12 minutes ago, Hmmm said:

if you read my prior post, you would know i do not think anything is wrong with competition (or challenge as you put it).   i don't know where you got that from.  perhaps you should smoke more.  but to "take a shot" at someone, and in context of the article, does seem rather shade-worthy.  very possible his quote was taken out of context or he could have used better words.

as a coach, i would never encourage players to "take a shot" at someone unless they were playing basketball.

and if you can't understand the duality of that quote within the context of the article, well, i can't help ya make that connection

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

Your mischaracterization of my comments sure makes it look like you don’t have a lot of experience leading a large number of young men. Do you have any experience at all leading more than a Boy Scout troop? Let me guess. You probably are a nice little team leader or a manager. Impressive.

As I’ve previously said, and you continuously can’t seem to understand, it’s not about challenging a player. I already stated that. Is that too difficult for you to discern?

So you're talking about Herman's burnt eggs thing, not DBs trying to take on McCoy a little rougher than the average freshman in practice. So your original comment was totally unrelated to the article and the piece you quoted then? 

15 minutes ago, texifornia said:

So you're talking about Herman's burnt eggs thing, not DBs trying to take on McCoy a little rougher than the average freshman in practice. So your original comment was totally unrelated to the article and the piece you quoted then? 

i'm not defending dbeasy and will let them speak for themself, but curious, why you disregard "DBs trying to take on McCoy a little rougher than the average freshman in practice".

most coaches encourage older players not only to challenge but to teach/embrace them as teammates. your quote almost suggests McCoy was a target (bc he was a 5 star or out-of-stater?).

Edited by Hmmm