2019 ATH Bru McCoy

texifornia

11 minutes ago, Brandywine said:

OU treats us like Aggy. I hate that.

They definitely don't treat us like aggy. They treat us slightly better than Ohio State treats Michigan, which is still unacceptable. Nobody treats anybody that isn't aggy like aggy, because no one is as regarded as aggy 

Edited by TheFlyingBoat
  • Like 7
  • Fuck You 1

11 minutes ago, sdhornesq said:

Historically, no, they don't. And it also wouldn't be shocked if they screw Bru over here. But I get the feeling that the general attitude at the NCAA has changed, even so slightly, toward the athlete with the O'Bannon case and other recent developments.

OK, here's a basketball player who is in his second semester at VT and still hasn't played because the NCAA thinks he did too well on the ACT.  The ACT isn't questioning his score; the NCAA is.

Virginia Tech freshman forward Landers Nolley hasn't been cleared by the NCAA, coach Buzz Williams said of why he hasn't played yet.

Nolley's high school coach Rory Welsh of Langston Hughes High School in Fairburn, Georgia, told The Roanoke Times the issue involves Nolley's high school ACT score.

Welsh said that while Nolley had the ACT score and high school GPA to meet NCAA requirements, the NCAA was skeptical of his ACT score. According to the Times, Welsh said the NCAA thinks its too high a score for the typical student with his GPA.

The fact that Bru was also able to withdraw from USC and still sign papers to enroll at Texas by the Spring Semester deadline may also be a factor for immediate waiver approval from the NCAA.....
 https://registrar.utexas.edu/calendars/18-19
January 22  Tuesday:   Classes begin.
January 25th  Friday:  Fourth class day; Last day of the official add/drop period; after this date, changes in registration may require the approval of the department chair and usually the student’s dean. 
Last day undergraduate students may register and pay tuition without the approval of the registrar. (See General Information, Academic Policies and Procedures, for details.)
Tuition payment deadline is 5:00 p.m. for undergraduate, graduate, and law students. Tuition may be paid in full or in installments.
Would not be surprised if this was orchestrated by a lawyer who considered this

13 hours ago, Brandywine said:

OU treats us like Aggy. I hate that.

I’m going to respectfully disagree here, and with a bit of fervor. A rival will treat you with such disregard IF YOU LET THEM.

I should probably go back further in history, but let’s look at more recent times- During Mack’s reign, the beat-downs were frequent.  Simply put, he let ou get in his the the Team’s head. They were best before they ran out of that tunnel. (“Scares you to death”)

Charlie brought a bit of grit/toughness to the Team.  

IMHO,  Herman’s done the same.  Except he, as others here have expressed, is a much better “in game” coach.

TLDR- Don’t have a weak mindset and you won’t be treated as someone’s bitch.

I think opening that door (That can’t be closed) is a good thing.  My initial thoughts without thinking about it much..  Players should be able to transfer without penalty if: the head coach, the coordinator on their side the ball, or the strength and conditioning coach lies to them and leaves. 

I’m in a management roll at my work, and the “opening the door” or “slippery slope” argument is the biggest bleeding vagina cop out anyone has ever come up with. Make a decision based on the facts of the case in front of you. End of story.
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, sdhornesq said:

My suspicion is that the following arguments cumulatively win the day:

(1)  Kingsbury sold him on his system and Kingsbury left without coaching any players or in any games without penalty. Why shouldn't Bru?

(2)  He was only enrolled for a couple of weeks and both left USC before their drop class deadline and enrolled at UT before the enrollment deadline.

(3)  He was released from his NLI by USC

(4)  He committed to UT on or before NSD2 (should have just waited but 18 year old kids make decisions like 18 year old kids)

I think neither USC or the NCAA want to deny eligibility this year under these circumstances. It would be a very bad look.

When you're an early entry it's kind of hard to wait  til NSD 2 to sign a NLI. Maybe NSD 2 should be exclusively for early entries.

Edited by CfRhTxStBobcats

3 hours ago, MirrOlure said:

I’m in a management roll at my work, and the “ope?ning the door” or “slippery slope” argument is the biggest bleeding vagina cop out anyone has ever come up with. Make a decision based on the facts of the case in front of you. End of story.

imgur

Help! I'm in a management roll. How did I get into this management roll?

Also, sup Liz?

2 hours ago, CfRhTxStBobcats said:

When you're an early entry it's kind of hard to wait  til NSD 2 to sign a NLI. Maybe NSD 2 should be exclusively for early entries.

The NLI doesn’t matter. It’s already been waived. It’s the fact that he enrolled and attended classes that is the hangup, which is unavoidable for an EE. This issue has nothing to do with NSD1 and NSD2. It would’ve happened regardless.

plus, a recruit like Bru doesn’t need to sign an NLI, he can just show up and start classes and sign the financial aid power work right before enrolling. 

10 minutes ago, FriendofaFriend said:

He dropped all his classes before the deadline, correct? So in their records, Bru will never have been a student at all. It will show he was accepted, but that is it. Also, he did not use his college transcripts to transfer to UT. We accepted him using his high school qualifications. He really isn't a transfer at all. It will be total bullshit if he has to sit

This was always my question. 

16 minutes ago, FriendofaFriend said:

He dropped all his classes before the deadline, correct? So in their records, Bru will never have been a student at all. It will show he was accepted, but that is it. Also, he did not use his college transcripts to transfer to UT. We accepted him using his high school qualifications. He really isn't a transfer at all. It will be total bullshit if he has to sit

200.gif

• Like 4

From the NCAA website

A transfer student is a student who transfers from a collegiate institution after having triggered any of the conditions:

• Enrolled full-time during any term and attended class or in Division I if you are enrolled full time and are on campus on the opening day of classes.
  • Reported for a regular squad practice.
  • Practiced or competed while enrolled less than full-time..
  • Received institutional financial aid while attending summer school.
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

From the NCAA website

A transfer student is a student who transfers from a collegiate institution after having triggered any of the conditions:

• Enrolled full-time during any term and attended class or in Division I if you are enrolled full time and are on campus on the opening day of classes.

Bru is definitely a transfer under this interpretation but it's dumb. How can you be a transfer if you don't complete a single course at another school? 

15 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

From the NCAA website

Thanks for the info. 

12 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Bru is definitely a transfer under this interpretation but it's dumb. How can you be a transfer if you don't complete a single course at another school? 

Yeah he won't be counted for enrollment numbers for any of the classes he was signed up for. The NCAA definition is dumb

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

Great Interview of Bryan Carrington about BC's life and also a link to a great article....... Well worth checking out

https://www.burntorangenation.com/2018/8/9/17664788/bryan-carrington-shhh-emoji-texas-longhorns-recruiting-silent-commits-future19

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

I’m aware, and I’m sure he’ll be a hell of a WR. I just think he would be a better LB and it would be better for our team. But then again, I know jack shit.

Probably would but our team is still way better off with him at WR then not at all. Only way Bru switches to LB is if he decides he wants to because it gives him a better shot at the NFL.

1 hour ago, EastTexan said:

Missed it. Wtf did ousux say about Bru and Horns. Other than them crying about getting their asses kicked.

Prob not much. They signed two 5* receivers of their own just like we did this cycle. 

In a couple of Octobers this game could easily have the best collection of receiver talent of any game in the country. Hopefully they won't have the QB to make it matter and we will. 

1 hour ago, EastTexan said:

Missed it. Wtf did ousux say about Bru and Horns. Other than them crying about getting their asses kicked.

Read through a few threads, the general thought seems to be:

1. "Herman and Texas should be investigated for tampering"

2. "Who cares, we recruited 5* WRs too"

3. "USC is a dumpster fire and we should be able to cherry pick from California, particularly Mater Dei, and maybe we can flip Bryce Young"

4. "No way Bru should be allowed to play next year"

Edited by Machinator

5 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Read through a few threads, the general thought seems to be:

1. "Herman and Texas should be investigated for tampering"

2. "Who cares, we recruited 5* WRs too"

3. "USC is a dumpster fire and we should be able to cherry pick from California, particularly Mater Dei, and maybe we can flip Bryce Young"

4. "No way Bru should be allowed to play next year"

On #4, wasn’t Lampkin allowed to play immediately even though he was enrolled at Texas but practicing at OU or something like that? Or did he redshirt for the transfer sit out thing? Can’t remember. Whatever, doesn’t really matter 

1 minute ago, Fletch said:

On #4, wasn’t Lampkin allowed to play immediately even though he was enrolled at Texas but practicing at OU or something like that? Or did he redshirt for the transfer sit out thing? Can’t remember. Whatever, doesn’t really matter  

He was never enrolled - he couldn't get in because of the Spanish requirement. We just held him to his NLI until the last possible day.

Didn’t he participate in a practice or 2 or some shit for us? I remember something weird like that but that whole 2010-2016 period is just one long nightmare so my memory may be a little fuzzy. Booze and drugs have nothing to do with that, for the record. 

12 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Didn’t he participate in a practice or 2 or some shit for us? I remember something weird like that but that whole 2010-2016 period is just one long nightmare so my memory may be a little fuzzy. Booze and drugs have nothing to do with that, for the record. 

NO. He never made it to campus. You might be thinking of Cecil Cherry. Lulz. Talked like he was the baddest MFer out there and Ray Lewis was his godfather, but then got to campus, saw 2 practices and packed up his bags and went home.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, texifornia said:

He was never enrolled - he couldn't get in because of the Spanish requirement. We just held him to his NLI until the last possible day.

I thought there was more to than just failing a course.  I thought I read on here previously that the ou coaches found a loop hole for him to get to ou. 

He was pissed at Strong when Chris Rumph left a day or two after signing day.  He then purposely failed his Spanish class so that he wouldn't qualify at Texas and never enrolled voiding his LOI.  He didn't even attempt to take the Spanish course over the summer.  He showed up at ou knowing his LOI would be voided and he could sign with ou.

1 minute ago, victory88 said:

I thought there was more to than just failing a course.  I thought I read on here previously that the ou coaches found a loop hole for him to get to ou. 

He was pissed at Strong when Chris Rumph left a day or two after signing day.  He then purposely failed his Spanish class so that he wouldn't qualify at Texas and never enrolled voiding his LOI.  He didn't even attempt to take the Spanish course over the summer.  He showed up at ou knowing his LOI would be voided and he could sign with ou.

James Hale approves this message.

That's pretty much what I remember. A foreign language is required at UT, and not at OU, football player or regular student. He wasn't eligible at UT because he didn't want to be (I remember his quote being something like "there's no way I can pass spanish. No way.")

My 11 year old daughter is enrolled in that same course.

Once he wasn't admitted to UT, he was then able to enroll at OU, which was his wish within 24 hours of signing day. He was also already there in norman prior to actually being able to enroll from what I remember.