2019 ATH Bru McCoy

texifornia

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

Read through a few threads, the general thought seems to be:

1. "Herman and Texas should be investigated for tampering"

2. "Who cares, we recruited 5* WRs too"

3. "USC is a dumpster fire and we should be able to cherry pick from California, particularly Mater Dei, and maybe we can flip Bryce Young"

4. "No way Bru should be allowed to play next year"

Our recruits have eligibility questions due to transfer rules. 

Their recruits have eligibility questions due to ongoing investigations. 

Same as it ever was. 

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

NO. He never made it to campus. You might be thinking of Cecil Cherry. Lulz. Talked like he was the baddest MFer out there and Ray Lewis was his godfather, but then got to campus, saw 2 practices and packed up his bags and went home.

Wasn't he upset that he didn't get the jersey number that he wanted?

22 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Wasn't he upset that he didn't get the jersey number that he wanted?

It's been a few years but pretty sure Cecil liked to run his mouth about how him and Charlies guys were going to turn the program around.  And when he showed up to practice and got bitched slapped around in practice by our current players, he got all butt hurt, packed his bags, and left.  I remember some reports coming out that he was having a difficult time adjusting to college practices.... meaning he was getting his ass whooped.  Rather than getting stronger, faster, and working hard... he took the first flight back.  

8 minutes ago, victory88 said:

It's been a few years but pretty sure Cecil liked to run his mouth about how him and Charlies guys were going to turn the program around.  And when he showed up to practice and got bitched slapped around in practice by our current players, he got all butt hurt, packed his bags, and left.  I remember some reports coming out that he was having a difficult time adjusting to college practices.... meaning he was getting his ass whooped.  Rather than getting stronger, faster, and working hard... he took the first flight back.  

Transferred to USF.

Couldn't hack it.

So he transferred to Coahoma C.C.

After Coahoma, he went to Grambling, where he announced mid-year this year that he intends to transfer somewhere else.

So for those of you keeping track at home, Cherry will spend his fours years of college eligibility at (at least) five different spots (Texas, USF, Coahoma, Grambling, [TBD]).

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, victory88 said:

He was also mad about Malik playing inside. Didn't think he'd ever be able to beat him out.

50 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

Transferred to USF.

Couldn't hack it.

So he transferred to Coahoma C.C.

After Coahoma, he went to Grambling, where he announced mid-year this year that he intends to transfer somewhere else.

So for those of you keeping track at home, Cherry will spend his fours years of college eligibility at (at least) five different spots (Texas, USF, Coahoma, Grambling, [TBD]).

Where does that one rank as a mental eval?

1 minute ago, RabidM said:

Cecil gave us a big recruiting boost when we really needed it. I remember him fondly for that.

Right after current Super Bowl (practice squad) player Toby Weathersby decommitted. That had been a cold winter.

https://www.patriots.com/news/patriots-sign-ol-toby-weathersby-to-practice-squad

3 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

NO. He never made it to campus. You might be thinking of Cecil Cherry. Lulz. Talked like he was the baddest MFer out there and Ray Lewis was his godfather, but then got to campus, saw 2 practices and packed up his bags and went home.

This thread is fun to look back on... http://www.shaggytexas.com/board/showthread.php/159507-The-Next-Great-Texas-MLB-Cecil-Cherry

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

I know it doesn't really matter, but are we expecting the official Longhorn twitter account to release one of those "Welcome to Texas" images that they do when they get the faxes from players on NSD?  I know it's done, but is there some cutoff that makes him OFFICIAL official?

I don't know, but I can stop by Walgreens on the way home from work and get him a card for all of us to sign.

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Haha haha holy shit:

@DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt 

He's my favorite recruit of all-time. I feel like he's going to be the rock that turns the program's mentality around.

@RomaVicta : I'll predict Dalton Santos for the Gaskamp Award over on BC. If he can bounce back from his injury, I have a feeling he will ring some bells next fall.

I love Cherry and everything he brings. I hope we don't need him to be a key player next year.

@Snacks: 

Quote Originally Posted by Hornius Emeritus View Post
Obviously I wish the world for the kid but lots of people talk a lot of noise about the things they are going to do and then end up doing squat. It's all talk until somebody gets hit in the mouth.

he sounded a bit more mature than just talking noise. he's gotta back it up, but you can kinda tell he means it.

@ousux: Wow, after reading that this kid sounds more mature and realistic than many NFL players. Cherry might become one of my favorite Longhorn players ever..

Outstanding, sir. Have some rep. 

5 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Haha haha holy shit:

@DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt 

He's my favorite recruit of all-time. I feel like he's going to be the rock that turns the program's mentality around.

POST #2: Alright yeah, best recruit of all-time.

@RomaVicta : I'll predict Dalton Santos for the Gaskamp Award over on BC. If he can bounce back from his injury, I have a feeling he will ring some bells next fall.

I love Cherry and everything he brings. I hope we don't need him to be a key player next year.

@Snacks: 

Quote Originally Posted by Hornius Emeritus View Post
Obviously I wish the world for the kid but lots of people talk a lot of noise about the things they are going to do and then end up doing squat. It's all talk until somebody gets hit in the mouth.

he sounded a bit more mature than just talking noise. he's gotta back it up, but you can kinda tell he means it.

@ousux: Wow, after reading that this kid sounds more mature and realistic than many NFL players. Cherry might become one of my favorite Longhorn players ever..

I reserve the right to revise my evaluation of your mom on the old site.

4 hours ago, Machinator said:

Read through a few threads, the general thought seems to be:

1. "Herman and Texas should be investigated for tampering"

2. "Who cares, we recruited 5* WRs too"

3. "USC is a dumpster fire and we should be able to cherry pick from California, particularly Mater Dei, and maybe we can flip Bryce Young"

4. "No way Bru should be allowed to play next year"

Thanks. sooner turning aggy then. Makes sense.

• Like 1

Missed a couple. 

@Bruh Man: there are about 8 alpha leaders in this 2015 class. this guy can't get on campus soon enough. i hope he runs off all the wimps still on the team.

MOAR @Snacks. JFC this might be the worst one:

Originally Posted by MrPhlegm View Post
Un $#@!ing retire #60 goddamnit

make'em unretire it.

@Fit Girls Only: This! I get chills thinking about where we will be in two years. A majority of June 2017 posts/articles will not be about incoming freshman. We will all be beating our chests in Under Armour gear.

MOAR @ousux. 

I agree with what you're saying, but if you read the article this kid is well aware of that...and he started on varsity as a $#@!ing 8th grader.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

Lol @ @RomaVicta's eval.  But just imagine if he could've been the one to make Cecil Cherry smile.

I make no claim to ability to predict much of anything. Dalton for the Gaskamp Award does indicate that I thought he hadn't done much to date. I wasn't alone in being wrong about Cherry. No matter, I admit that I'm an idiot at recruit evaluation. 

It's just plain mean to dig those quotes up and republish them. Yikes.

Can’t forget a picture of the infamous Florida 5:

@cecil__cherry3
@dev_go_deep S/O TO MY FUTURE TEAMMATE FLORIDA FIVE LETSGETIT TWO MORE TO GOT THREE DOWN WE GOING TO WIN A NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP HOOK EM ����

B2BtCgjCIAECsJV.jpg:large

Well, @theaveragejon, you got 1 out of 2: Cecil and Charles are all about Texas, love it!

Edited by Burt Macklin

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

Man, I  was on the sidelines that day with CTJ and my future wife before the game. Clarington really stood out in a crowd, and you could tell he really was into Texas. Just wide eyed, was enjoying everything, and some folks were cheering for the recruits by name, and he really seemed taken aback by that. Sucks he never got onto campus. You could tell he was really loving Austin. 

3 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

@cecil__cherry3
@dev_go_deep S/O TO MY FUTURE TEAMMATE FLORIDA FIVE LETSGETIT TWO MORE TO GOT THREE DOWN WE GOING TO WIN A NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP HOOK EM ����

Hey, one of those guys worked out.  I mean, one out of five is a good percentage, isn't it?

23 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Oh fuck you. Fuck you right to hell.

Found one more on the recruiting commit thread:

the cool thing about this cat is he sees all the hoopla about malik's recruitment and will do everything within his power to make sure everyone on the planet knows he's the best LB in this class right out of the gate.

4 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Man, I  was on the sidelines that day with CTJ and my future wife before the game. Clarington really stood out in a crowd, and you could tell he really was into Texas. Just wide eyed, was enjoying everything, and some folks were cheering for the recruits by name, and he really seemed taken aback by that. Sucks he never got onto campus. You could tell he was really loving Austin. 

DC is a 2019 recruit

Here is his JUCO hudl:  https://www.hudl.com/video/3/2944603/5bb00186dfd8c516e036c01c

I’ll agree that we aren’t taking Clarington or Jones, but I’m guessing Clarington can still play football. Jones can pretty much just fall down in the A gap. Which is pretty much all he could do by his senior year in HS.

Jones did move about 2 feet to either side back then. Now, he’s more similar to a sea anemone. Anything that he gets his tentacles on is dead meat, but it’s not too hard to avoid them. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Found one more on the recruiting commit thread:

the cool thing about this cat is he sees all the hoopla about malik's recruitment and will do everything within his power to make sure everyone on the planet knows he's the best LB in this class right out of the gate.

@Snacks wrote that. see: use of 'cat'

3 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

I’ll agree that we aren’t taking Clarington or Jones, but I’m guessing Clarington can still play football. Jones can pretty much just fall down in the A gap. Which is pretty much all he could do by his senior year in HS.

Jones did move about 2 feet to either side back then. Now, he’s more similar to a sea anemone. Anything that he gets his tentacles on is dead meat, but it’s not too hard to avoid them. 

Don't think I didn't notice that excellent work, sir. 

imgur

59 minutes ago, Best served cold said:

So since we are doing the "recruits from the past" thing has anyone heard what became of Largaryon Carson? Heard he was at Coahoma but I couldn't find him on the roster.

He put out a tweet saying he was enrolling. And nothing since. 

Id imagine his "issues" caught up to him. Too bad. Seemed like a heck of a player. And he loved Texas 

• Like 1

Cecil Cherry was described as part of

...the best linebacker recruiting haul in 2015 ... Malik Jefferson, Anthony Wheeler, Cameron Townsend and Breckyn Hager...

1. Exciting commit, contributor, didn’t realize potential as much as hoped but still good, left early

2. played because we couldn’t find better

3. not really a contributor

4. captain, moved to DL, less than all-American play

5. never played a down here

So much for great LB haul.

I am optimistic that if plays snaps at LB, he will rate at least at Malik in quality and more like what Hager was intended to do in role.