Tom Herman creating culture at Texas

Goo Punch

4 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

It's to counter negative recruiting: "Herman won't last at UT."

Is that really a big issue at this point?  Even if it is, extend the contract, but make it contingent.  Our athletic department seems to be in love with needlessly over-extending itself financially.  See Smart, Shaka.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

Is that really a big issue at this point?  Even if it is, extend the contract, but make it contingent.  Our athletic department seems to be in love with needlessly over-extending itself financially.  See Smart, Shaka.  

Eh, whether or not Tom wins a championship, at the very worst, our teams will be tough, compete, and pretty much never get blown out. No more of those weak Mack teams, sans VY and a bunch of other NFL players, getting blown out a few times every year. 

If he can just stop losing to Marylands, we'll be a 10 win team every year with just 1-2 close loses. That alone is worth a contract extension. 

In this day and age, extending a contract to counter negative recruiting is foolish. At a school like Texas, if they want you gone, you will be out. Anyone with an IQ over 12 understands that.

44 minutes ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

Eh, whether or not Tom wins a championship, at the very worst, our teams will be tough, compete, and pretty much never get blown out. No more of those weak Mack teams, sans VY and a bunch of other NFL players, getting blown out a few times every year. 

If he can just stop losing to Marylands, we'll be a 10 win team every year with just 1-2 close loses. That alone is worth a contract extension. 

And Navys and Memphises and UConns.  Until and unless he gets over his tendency to front-run games in which we're heavy favorites or have a three-possession lead in the third quarter, all that toughness and competition doesn't mean shit.  Those losses are no more acceptable than Mack's OU blowouts.

Edited by TwiceHorn

3 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

It's to counter negative recruiting: "Herman won't last at UT."

I mean he just won an NY6 bowl and had our first 10 win season in a decade, who is actually trying to negative recruit Texas with Herman won’t last.

Edited by Not a Sock

He's 4th all time in championships. One of the guys in front of him was his former player and assistant coach. I'd say he did pretty well.
3 championships in 43 seasons is not a lot.

Oh, perhaps you meant the Hoosier years... So 3 titles in 29 seasons... And last conference title in 1993.

We could have kept Mack Brown if we wanted to win once every 10 years (which doesn't sound so bad right now, but it's not the standard for me... Knight did win the conference a lot more than Mack or Herman, so there's that...)

I don't even remember how we got to old basketball coach talk not going away...

1 hour ago, ousux said:
2 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:
Who’s saying that?

Every aggy that can put together a semi-coherent sentence? Gooners, swamp tigahs...hell, even Fatterson.

No, no they're not. I imagine most anti-Texas negative recruiting these days has to do with Big 12 vs. SEC, our dearth of recent draft picks (both Day 1 and overall), and maybe any residuals from the Fuck Chip Brown hit piece from December 2017.

8 minutes ago, Machinator said:

No, no they're not. I imagine most anti-Texas negative recruiting these days has to do with Big 12 vs. SEC, our dearth of recent draft picks (both Day 1 and overall), and maybe any residuals from the Fuck Chip Brown hit piece from December 2017.

You left out the fact that we play a lot of three man fronts, and our wimminz romance each other.

I’ll take Mack’s 1998-2009 teams please

2 hours ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

I'm not sure if just having seasons with double digit wins is enough. That was kind of what got Mack in trouble with complacency. This isn't some middling university in a maybe not so great recruiting area; THIS IS THE FUCKING UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS!

Thus why having goals of winning championships is where we all expect the bar to be set.

1 minute ago, HOOK'EMHOOAH said:

I'm not sure if just having seasons with double digit wins is enough. That was kind of what got Mack in trouble with complacency. This isn't some middling university in a maybe not so great recruiting area; THIS IS THE FUCKING UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS!

Thus why having goals of winning championships is where we all expect the bar to be set.

Goals are great, but don't let perfect be the enemy of good when it comes to such an important position like the HC. I think he's shown enough for the program to merit a 2 year extension. And I'm not saying the ultimate goal is to win 10 games. Of course it's eventually winning a championship. 

• Like 1

True, but if all that doesnt do the trick.."Sir kiss a-lot doesn't have an extension and you can see how long their last coach lasted" is next in the repertoire..

Not saying it was critical for Herman to get a new deal this year, just sayin..

7 hours ago, TornACL said:

Tom Herman's Agent: "OH noes, there's negative recruiting going on out there."

UT Athletic Department: "OH noes, how much more cash do you need?" 

Tom Herman's Agent: 😀😀😀

this is pretty funny considering Herman gives most of his asst coaches 1 yr contracts and makes them earn each year

8 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

Doing a 1 year extension with no major raise when the mouth breathers up the street are giving out 10 year fully guaranteed contracts at 50% more per year before a coach ever plays a game seems pretty reasonable to me. 

• Like 4

I don't know if it is being used to negatively recruit, but I do kow that some former aggy players were absolutely giddy because they thought that Herman was going to be canned after the Maryland game last year.

Edited by Sabalo

2 hours ago, Vertigo said:

Doing a 1 year extension with no major raise when the mouth breathers up the street are giving out 10 year fully guaranteed contracts at 50% more per year before a coach ever plays a game seems pretty reasonable to me. 

I read it was a 2 year extension, which is about another 10-12 million in guaranteed money we are on the hook for. 

Herman isn't going anywhere because of money and no recruits are turning down texas because they are worried about Herman’s contract. And just because aggy is retarded doesn’t mean we shouldn’t be fiscally prudent. This athletic department has eaten millions in dead money over the last decade due to needless extensions that went bad. The last silly one we gave out is directly responsible for our basketball program sucking for at least a few more years. You’d think we’d have a little restraint at this point. 

• Like 1

Omg the coach of the wealthiest team at the wealthiest athletic department in the country, who is pretty much on schedule in terms of measurable progress in his first two years, got an extension (with no raise). We're clearly raiding Fort Knox for this one.

Chill out, it doesn't effect 99.5% of this board, and we all had a lot of fun with 10 wins and pantsing UGA in the Sugar Bowl.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

I read it was a 2 year extension, which is about another 10-12 million in guaranteed money we are on the hook for. 

Herman isn't going anywhere because of money and no recruits are turning down texas because they are worried about Herman’s contract. And just because aggy is retarded doesn’t mean we shouldn’t be fiscally prudent. This athletic department has eaten millions in dead money over the last decade due to needless extensions that went bad. The last silly one we gave out is directly responsible for our basketball program sucking for at least a few more years. You’d think we’d have a little restraint at this point. 

Dude, a bad contract will NEVER force UT to keep a mediocre football coach. The Shaka situation is directly a result of pretty much every big donor being ambivalent at best about basketball.

Look at this board as a semi-representative sample - who would have traded the Sugar Bowl win for a deep tournament run? Like two people, this isn't one of the UK/KUs.

• Like 1

I agree a bad contract won't prevent what needs to be done if necessary in football.  I was speaking more to a mindset from our athletic department (that affects us in all sports) that I had hoped we had moved on from given our experiences over the last decade and our new leadership. 

Why are we talking about a contract in the culture thread?  

13 hours ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

Fans will bitch about anything. Texas fans aren’t special in that regard. Or most regards really. 

Certainly, we are Sur(e)ly Regarded.