Tom Herman creating culture at Texas

Goo Punch

10 hours ago, texifornia said:

Omg the coach of the wealthiest team at the wealthiest athletic department in the country, who is pretty much on schedule in terms of measurable progress in his first two years, got an extension (with no raise). We're clearly raiding Fort Knox for this one.

Chill out, it doesn't effect 99.5% of this board, and we all had a lot of fun with 10 wins and pantsing UGA in the Sugar Bowl.

*affect

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SubliminalHorn said:

WE BITCH MORE!

As a function of fan base size leading to a greater volume of bitching then, yes, that might be correct. But really, people are people. Each fan base thinks they have something special, and in reality all of them need to have that Fight Club moment where they’re told that they aren’t in fact special or unique snowflakes. 

Eh, whether or not Tom wins a championship, at the very worst, our teams will be tough, compete, and pretty much never get blown out. No more of those weak Mack teams, sans VY and a bunch of other NFL players, getting blown out a few times every year. 
If he can just stop losing to Marylands, we'll be a 10 win team every year with just 1-2 close loses. That alone is worth a contract extension. 

If he can avoid doing the thing he has literally never been able to avoid. Lol.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I was so sick of those Stoops over Mack ass whippings every freaking year.  Then towards the bitter end Greg Davis starts trolling Texas fans with more scared shitless play calling.  Throw left in the flat for no gain, throw right in the flat for no gain, back to the left flat, no gain--punt.  D.J. Monroe next series, 63 yard touchdown run.  Bench D.J.  for the rest of the game.  

If Herman avoids that level of embarrassment, I will be very happy.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

If he can avoid doing the thing he has literally never been able to avoid. Lol.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

He's also never had the talent advantage he's going to have at Texas starting in 2020. There's reason to believe he can start to achieve it. So far, all of his teams at UH and here have had some really good top end talent, but have been really weak at certain positions and generally lacked depth. Most teams that avoid losing to any (or even just one) team they're better than all year have a pretty huge talent gap between most teams on their schedule, and they have really good depth. Herman's never had both of those before. 

• Like 1

Guest Lobo

So we're contractually obligated to throw another $13.0mm at a guy who is averaging 5 losses per season at Texas?  Because "culture"?  Got it.  

Guest Lobo

Thank you for explaining it to me.  The reservation on the part of some was that this is a rather serious extension, with lots of guaranteed money for someone averaging an 8.5-5 record over two seasons (their words, not mine).  

"He wins, he gets paid."???  I honestly would like to hear your material knowledge of the contract extension, as it sounds like you know about a waterfall/incentive laden portion of it that is not known to many others.  Please, discuss using specific details.  Nobody has an issue with locking down a superior coach.  A guy averaging 5 losses/year here may not be that guy.  I just thought maybe we could wait a year or two before we get locked into yet another Shaka-esque back-ended tragedy.  

3 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Thank you for explaining it to me.  The reservation on the part of some was that this is a rather serious extension, with lots of guaranteed money for someone averaging an 8.5-5 record over two seasons (their words, not mine).  

"He wins, he gets paid."???  I honestly would like to hear your material knowledge of the contract extension, as it sounds like you know about a waterfall/incentive laden portion of it that is not known to many others.  Please, discuss using specific details.  Nobody has an issue with locking down a superior coach.  A guy averaging 5 losses/year here may not be that guy.  I just thought maybe we could wait a year or two before we get locked into yet another Shaka-esque back-ended tragedy.  

Our football program will never be locked into a coach's contract like basketball can. Some rich guy in Houston or Dallas will write that check. It doesn't matter for you and me.

12 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Using an average over two seasons as a primary assessment of a coach seems unwise, especially when he inherited a program that had been in the dumps for 8 years and was coming off a historically bad 3-year stretch.

• Like 1

Guest Lobo
26 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Using an average over two seasons as a primary assessment of a coach seems unwise, especially when he inherited a program that had been in the dumps for 8 years and was coming off a historically bad 3-year stretch.

His agent didn't seem to think it was unwise.  I agree with you.  But we're not on the comp/audit committee.  

4 minutes ago, Lobo said:

His agent didn't seem to think it was unwise.  I agree with you.  But we're not on the comp/audit committee.  

You think his agent when there and said, "look, my client has averaged 5 losses over the last two years. It's time for an extension."

Also, I think you missed the point of Machinator's post.

Edited by Burt Macklin

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

So we're contractually obligated to throw another $13.0mm at a guy who is averaging 5 losses per season at Texas?  Because "culture"?  Got it.  

That's some elite level trolling right here.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, texifornia said:

Our football program will never be locked into a coach's contract like basketball can. Some rich guy in Houston or Dallas will write that check. It doesn't matter for you and me.

Hey, how do you know I'm not one of those rich guys in Dallas or Houston?

20 hours ago, Machinator said:

Exactly.  The starting point and trendline are really important here.

Year zero baseline wins (Charlie's last year): 5.  Year One: 7 wins.  Year Two: 10 wins.  So +2 and +3 each of his first 2 years.  Clear and major improvement.

Year zero: NO BOWL.  Year One: Bowl win over SEC 2nd tier.  Year Two: DOMINANT NY6 bowl win over SEC top tier.

It takes a real Debbie Downer or a troll to ignore the bold trend lines and bitch about Maryland.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Sock Drawer said:

Hey, how do you know I'm not one of those rich guys in Dallas or Houston?

I mean, if you're really so bent that you're counting the beans of your largesse on this message board, you can always opt to not write that check next time. 

I'm surprised everyone is so bent about this, it didn't even blip on my radar. So we added 2 years of guaranteed money. From an average salary rating, the guy is still outside the top 10 at 5 million a year. He makes less than Art Briles was making at Baylor. If the trajectory continues as planned, the guy will be scrapping this contract for a new one after 2019 or 2020 in favor of one that averages 8 million a year instead of 5. If he shits the bed, he's fired. But overall, we're resetting the clock on the guy's tenure 2 years down the road, and he's done significant work moving the program culturally and successfully in the right direction. I feel better about our chances for success 2 years in that I might have on the first day he was announced. I'm surprised that most people are irritated by that, even if I somewhat get the general principle of the griping that he finish out his contract. 

And again, I know the principle upsets most people in this situation, but having seen the numbers on the fundraising by CDC, they're absolutely staggering. Just fucking unbelievable. It's hard to get worked up over a 2 year extension of guaranteed money, even if I understand not setting money on fire like it was used aggy tissue paper. 

Edited by SydneyCarton

2 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

Exactly.  The starting point and trendline are really important here.

Year zero baseline wins (Charlie's last year): 5.  Year One: 7 wins.  Year Two: 10 wins.  So +2 and +3 each of his first 2 years.  Clear and major improvement.

Year zero: NO BOWL.  Year One: Bowl win over SEC 2nd tier.  Year Two: DOMINANT NY6 bowl win over SEC top tier.

It takes a real Debbie Downer or a troll to ignore the bold trend lines and bitch about Maryland.

Fuck yeah. Only thing I'd add was that both bowl wins were dominant. 

espnapi_dm_171228_ncf_highlight_mizzou_t

urn-publicid-ap-org-76a26a87938746d098bd

• Like 7

On 5/19/2019 at 4:00 PM, lemonandaturd said:

I was so sick of those Stoops over Mack ass whippings every freaking year.  Then towards the bitter end Greg Davis starts trolling Texas fans with more scared shitless play calling.  Throw left in the flat for no gain, throw right in the flat for no gain, back to the left flat, no gain--punt.  D.J. Monroe next series, 63 yard touchdown run.  Bench D.J.  for the rest of the game.  

If Herman avoids that level of embarrassment, I will be very happy.  

LOL, it honestly looked like Mack and GD were OU plants for those few games.  A madden champ would have legit put on a better performance. 

• Like 2

Just now, ChiTownDoc said:

LOL, it honestly looked like Mack and GD were OU plants for those few games.  A madden champ would have legit put on a better performance. 

I still cannot believe he he did it four times. Four fucking times. I mean when it came to the OU game Charlie Strong coached circles around Mack Brown.

37 minutes ago, Rusty Shackelford said:

I didn’t expect to learn something about Nazi history on this thread, but now I know not to buy Hugo Boss

You should probably avoid VW, Mercedes, IBM, Ford, Bayer, Kodak, Porsche, and Coca Cola while you are at it.

Nothing changes. Fucking Nazis.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Sejjr said:

You should probably avoid VW, Mercedes, IBM, Ford, Bayer, Kodak, Porsche, and Coca Cola while you are at it.

Well it is not like you can just turn around and buy from their Japanese competitors either.

• Haha 1

Add Audi, Lamborghini, Bentley and Bugatti to that list. Oh, and Ford as well..if the rumors about old Henry are true.