Tom Herman creating culture at Texas

Goo Punch

I don't follow the program nearly as closely as most of you do, so I'm kind of asking if what I'm feeling about our team is actually the case. My feeling is that in Charlie Strong's locker room he was the papa bear, and the players were his cubs, and they really liked him, and looked up to him, and wanted to make him proud, but that it wasn't the most demanding or cutthroat environment. That was the vibe I got from his teams. My sense of Tom Herman's locker room is that he is challenging his guys as men on a daily basis- basically creating alpha males who breed other alpha males out of their peers. A culture of players acting like men so to speak, and holding each other accountable to higher standard, even when the coaches aren't around. 

Herman had a quote after the Sugar Bowl that stuck with me. As best as I can remember he said, "This is no longer a coach fed team, this is a player led team." Based on this, the endless videos we've seen of our guys working their asses off, the improvement on the field, the improvement of individual players, the fact that we had two important underclassmen immediately announce they were returning with intentions of winning big- all of this makes me feel like we have that championship culture being built here. I mean you look at the Bama and Clemson teams and they all look like a bunch of roided out freaks in pads, and our  guys are starting to look that way themselves. Like nobody is taking days off.

I feel like a lot of coaches talk about culture, but that Coach Herman has really walked that walk when it comes to this program. That the competitive nature of the program will breed success so long as he's here and running it. Does anyone else feel similarly, or am I off base here? 

• Like 2

I don't follow the program nearly as closely as most of you do, so I'm kind of asking if what I'm feeling about our team is actually the case. My feeling is that in Charlie Strong's locker room he was the papa bear, and the players were his cubs, and they really liked him, and looked up to him, and wanted to make him proud, but that it wasn't the most demanding or cutthroat environment. That was the vibe I got from his teams. My sense of Tom Herman's locker room is that he is challenging his guys as men on a daily basis- basically creating alpha males who breed other alpha males out of their peers. A culture of players acting like men so to speak, and holding each other accountable to higher standard, even when the coaches aren't around. 
Herman had a quote after the Sugar Bowl that stuck with me. As best as I can remember he said, "This is no longer a coach fed team, this is a player led team." Based on this, the endless videos we've seen of our guys working their asses off, the improvement on the field, the improvement of individual players, the fact that we had two important underclassmen immediately announce they were returning with intentions of winning big- all of this makes me feel like we have that championship culture being built here. I mean you look at the Bama and Clemson teams and they all look like a bunch of roided out freaks in pads, and our  guys are starting to look that way themselves. Like nobody is taking days off.
I feel like a lot of coaches talk about culture, but that Coach Herman has really walked that walk when it comes to this program. That the competitive nature of the program will breed success so long as he's here and running it. Does anyone else feel similarly, or am I off base here? 
Culture?

f32b69dad2e2157b35cd7d81a285c571.jpgd3ce7ab143cf1badddc3f3e3279b4b84.jpg72cbefd5dcc0ed23fb8dbac3847be3be.jpg83b28f24f0e21c74f52d5c29142bb185.gif
  • Like 1

Made this and closed it before the USC game. Even though I was raging and pissed after the Maryland and Tulsa games. I sat back and realized what I had witnessed at the Tulsa game. 

The guys really do buy into that family culture. They play for their brothers, they understand it's not just "winning is hard" but being championship caliber is hard. As a squad, they are busting their asses and Yancy/Hand deserve a lot of credit. Tommy said building the team from the big boys first was his plan, and damn it's working out. 

IMO Omenihu became a better leader than Malik. I think the OL/DL leadership trend will continue. 

• Like 1

Heard stories about the 2004 & 2005 Teams on how VY and other upper classmen including some Big Uglies (like Studdard) demanded other players to bust ass in practices.  Having some of the team leaders come from the OL/DL usually leads to tougher more physical teams.  This past 2018 season, leadership from the players was the best it's been in quite awhile .

Yancy has been amazing.   Seems like Herman's staff has done a good job of developing the players' skills, confidence, pride and leadership.  As a result, the players trust their coaches, hold each other more accountable, and truly play for each other. 

That's how elite teams are built.  These Texas players have finally learned how to win.... and as the talent and depth continue to improve on the Roster, CFB Playoff appearances will follow. 🤘

36 minutes ago, Grippe said:

Culture eats strategy for lunch.

Having said that, how do you describe what the culture of a D1 bluebood football team should be?

Be smart off the field.  Your ass is worthless to the team if you are suspended from the team, declared ineligible, kicked out of school, in court, in jail, miss meetings, tear an ACL in a pickup game of hoops, or break your leg being a jackass on an ATV.

Give maximum effort and focus every moment of every play in every practice, every game, every workout.

Learn the playbook for your position group backwards, forwards and sideways;

Develop keen situational awareness (e.g., punt return team DO NOT encroach on 4th and 4; dbs DO NOT give a ball carrier the extra shove into the bench after he's stepped out; QB have one eye on the fucking play clock); don't fucking touch an opponent above the neck.

Appreciate your opportunity and make the most of it.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Zavala said:

IMO Omenihu became a better leader than Malik. I think the OL/DL leadership trend will continue. 

Fwiw l heard several players say that Malik cashed out his last year and wasn’t much of a “leader” or “motivator” for the team during his time here.  

-was a great guy, teammate and buddy tho.

Edited by Doc Reeves
  • Like 1

I know herman beats us over the head that winning is hard but what really sunk in to the team is that losing has to hurt to the point that you never want to experience it again. Unfortunately losing became so ingrained in this program that it didn't hurt and the players just didn't feel any emotional rise or fall from winning and losing outside of the few times Charlie got lifted up. Runny eggs and burnt toast seems trivial and comical to many but little things had to teach these guys that you don't want to be on the losing side. Ultimately it takes a good run of winning to teach that and when that loss does occur it hurts like you don't want it to. 

• Like 2

P.J. Locke had never been kissed by another man.

Not by his dad, not by his grandpa, not by any man.

At least not until Tom Herman arrived in Austin, Texas.

Along with his wild-eyed intensity and hard-line discipline, the former Houston head coach brought something else the program badly needed: love.

https://newsok.com/article/5567853/kissing-bandit-why-tom-herman-kisses-each-player-before-a-game

Your program just needed love.

20 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Heard stories about the 2004 & 2005 Teams on how VY and other upper classmen including some Big Uglies (like Studdard) demanded other players to bust ass in practices.  Having some of the team leaders come from the OL/DL usually leads to tougher more physical teams.  This past 2018 season, leadership from the players was the best it's been in quite awhile .

Yancy has been amazing.   Seems like Herman's staff has done a good job of developing the players' skills, confidence, pride and leadership.  As a result, the players trust their coaches, hold each other more accountable, and truly play for each other. 

That's how elite teams are built.  These Texas players have finally learned how to win.... and as the talent and depth continue to improve on the Roster, CFB Playoff appearances will follow. 🤘

2019 Looking for Leadership.....

Per IT......

Replacing Leaders

Search for leadership: "You look around and one thing that jumps out is a lot is this is a younger team with a lot of leadership to replace. We'll find out real soon who the next group will be but they'll have big shoes to fill. The importance of leadership can't be overstated. Players have to hold each other accountable during the off-season. Last year was good in that regard." 

When pressed for leaders, I mentioned the obvious in Sam Ehlinger: "Yes, Sam of course. It's his team. Shack is already stepping up. You have to have someone on the o-line for sure, especially with all the younger guys. On defense it's Roach, Jones, and McCulloch."

I mentioned Roach has come a long way: "Just like Chris Nelson did. You gotta have a guy on the d-line step up with all the losses. That room looks a lot different without Charles, Chris, and Breckyn. 

Jones coming back was big: "He's been a leader on the field -- the best communicator in the secondary -- now it's time for him to be more vocal off."

Edited by LTtxfan

Also posted on another thread, but this video (below) mentions how important coaches relationships are with their players........ another important part of Herman's Culture.

Relationships:  Saban said this year he didn't feel his coaches spent enough time developing relationships with their players on the team at Bama.

Edited by LTtxfan

23 hours ago, Bama Llama said:

Be smart off the field.  Your ass is worthless to the team if you are suspended from the team, declared ineligible, kicked out of school, in court, in jail, miss meetings, tear an ACL in a pickup game of hoops, or break your leg being a jackass on an ATV.

Give maximum effort and focus every moment of every play in every practice, every game, every workout.

Develop keen situational awareness (e.g., punt return team DO NOT encroach on 4th and 4; dbs DO NOT give a ball carrier the extra shove into the bench after he's stepped out; QB have one eye on the fucking play clock); don't fucking touch an opponent above the neck.

In general, if u wanna go pro, start acting like one.

• Like 2

On 1/26/2019 at 8:08 AM, Bama Llama said:

Nick Saban posting, yo

9 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Also posted on another thread, but this video (below) mentions how important coaches relationships are with their players........ another important part of Herman's Culture.

Relationships:  Saban said this year he didn't feel his coaches spent enough time developing relationships with their players on the team at Bama.

That sweater against that background. My eyessssssss...

if you wanted to boil it down in the most simplistic terms, Tom Herman is the first coach we have had since DKR who hates to lose way way way more than he likes to win.  He's the first guy who despises losing as it is a reminder that someone is better than you.  It's a measurement of who you are as a coach, team, and a man.  I much prefer these people leading teams, and organizations in which I work and invest.  That culture is ingrained in the program now.  It has been missing for 40+ years, and our dismal record of winning the B12 and SWC the last many years proves that theory.  That is about to change.  

• Like 4

16 hours ago, SHOOTER12 said:

And now is the time to put opponents on their backs,  and leave clete marks on their chests while slobbering in blood lust every step of the way. 

I knew Clete Marx. Clete Marx was my friend. You, sir, are no Clete Marx.

Although Cleat Marks would be a damned good band name.

• Haha 2

1-0 each week

finish

"Hit 'em hard from the first play.  Let 'em know what they signed up for."   --- TH, 1/1/2019

2016 UH team was not allowed to wear any Peach Bowl swag.  They were not even allowed to use "us" in reference to the 2015 team.  "That team" was the preferred nomenclature.

• 4 weeks later...

Wasn't sure where to post this, but this seems a good place. Herman is showing some real Saban-esque quality with his bringing in of "advisors/analysts" to the program. Much is made of Herman's ego, mensa-ness, yet it takes a mature and confident coach not to worry about his own ego, and to bring in the quality of analysts that he is. Several former HCs, good coaches speaks to this. He is apparently not worried about critics and criticism, just about winning and doing what ever that requires. I think any doubts about him should be put to rest. . . . ok, cool. Hook 'em

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

Charlie was too nice a guy. You have to be a major dick to be a successful D1 coach. Also, the reason our guys are starting to look like roided out freaks is because they're probably starting to really hit the roads like Bama and Clemson. 

Bama is scheduling away games now?

• Haha 1