House Money - 2019 PWO Edition

Goodman

Great thread, I like the greater importance on a PWO program.  We need to do this every year, we can still talk about PWOs in the main thread but this is a good commitment place holder that can be referenced.

My one suggestion is to rename the thread “2019 PWO commits” offers can go in the main thread but this should be reserved for the ones that are here to stay.

I have heard of Preferred Walk-Ons before but what is going on here seems new somehow...or have we been getting these guys forever and they just never publicized it before? Because this seems exciting. One and Two star guys who can come in and fill up the practice squad and maybe a few of them might be contributors down the road.

1 minute ago, Valmy77 said:

I have heard of Preferred Walk-Ons before but what is going on here seems new somehow...or have we been getting these guys forever and they just never publicized it before? Because this seems exciting. One and Two star guys who can come in and fill up the practice squad and maybe a few of them might be contributors down the road.

We now treat our PWO's like any other member of the program, they are not excluded from any activities and receive the benefits of being on the team. Sounds simple but many programs struggle or flat ignore them.

With how difficult it is to get into our school now, this only makes sense. SoMe and our staffs attention to detail with edits make it easier for us to become aware.

The PWO program seems like a huge potential benefit to the program. Guys like Hunter Renfrow at Clemson have gone from PWOs to starters and major contributors. Wouldn’t be surprised for us to eventually hit the lottery like that as well.

So this Parker Alford character has the fastest shuttle in the nation, sub-4.6 laser timed 40, and 2000 yards / 20 TD his senior year and didn’t get any offers? ifeellikeimtakingcrazypills.gif 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Goodman said:

Coach is obviously making our PWO program a priority since we are getting kids with options deciding to join our program. 

We just need David Neil to join us.

First up is Jett, a combo of Ray Lewis and Luke Kuechly https://247sports.com/Player/Jett-Bush-46055186/

Great thread idea. Why did it take someone like Goodman to think of it? 

12 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

Not only contribute, but start. Every time we play a team on the level of Air Force or New Mexico State, there are one or two players who I’d gladly trade for one of our starters.

Do PWO’s count towards a team’s gpa? If so this could partially explain why so many of these guys have great academics. It makes it much easier to hit the minimum ncaa requirements.

Pretty sure they have to qualify for admission under normal criteria and that yes, they do count toward academic standards

Stumbled on this 2018 PWO List (Aug 2018)

#96 Tristan Bennett, DL-Soph., 6-3 240, Irving (TX) Ranchview
#46 Luke Brockermeyer, LB-FR, 6-3 215, Fort Worth (TX) All Saints Episcopal
#79 Matt Frost, OL-FR, 6-3 265, Folsom (CA)
#52 Jackson Hanna, LB-FR, 6-2 215, Houston (TX) St. Thomas
#54 Justin Mader, DS-FR, 6-4 225, Magnolia (TX)
#18 Tremayne Prudehomme, QB-FR, 6-1 185, Houston (TX) Aldine Davis
#23 Jarrett Smith, RB-FR, 5-7 195, Webster (TX) Clear Brook
#23 Turner Symonds, DB-FR, 6-0 175, Fort Worth (TX) Country Day
#62 Jeremy Thompson-Sevon, DL/OL-FR, 6-2 240, Lewisville (TX) Hebron
#63 Troy Torres, DL-FR, 5-11 290, El Paso (TX) Bowie
#15 Travis West, WR-FR, 6-0 175, Dallas (TX) Wilson
#36 Kamari Williams, RB-FR, 5-9 175, Conroe (TX) Oak Ridge

Edited by LTtxfan

On 1/25/2019 at 11:35 PM, Valmy77 said:

247 had an article about the star rankings of the Superbowl starters. Amazing how many 3 star and lower guys there was. Malcolm or is it Malcom Brown was either the highest or 2nd highest rated recruit on either team. I believer there was as many unrated guys as there was 4 stars. Nebraska used to have a ton of these guys. The average star ranking for the Patriots was like 2.64.

Edited by CfRhTxStBobcats