Shit HEB Makes (when its open).

DougO

• 2 weeks later...

I've pretty much switched to HEB's cheapass Hill Country Fair K-cup coffee. Turns out, it's pretty dang good. I like the Hazelnut. They don't offer a Hazelnut K-cup variety in their Cafe Ole brand.

Edited by DougO
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, DougO said:

I've pretty much switched to HEB's cheapass Hill Country Fair K-cup coffee. Turns out, it's pretty dang good. I like the Hazelnut. They don't offer a Hazelnut K-cup variety in their Cafe Ole brand.

You should try switching to real coffee. It's amazing.

• Like 1

On 3/30/2019 at 8:40 PM, elfenix said:

the meal simple shrimp and bacon empanadas are pretty fucking great.  ate them with some guac and a bit of red sauce left over from a taco truck.

When they have it, the Meal Simple lobster tail and white mac 'n cheese is pretty good.

SIAP, but I just came across this stuff today at my local HEB and it is excellent. Cooked it up on my Camp Chef griddle, then some yellow corn tortillas on a generous layer of oil, and garnished them with raw onion and cilantro. Pretty damn good for a white boy. And I didn't bite a single piece of gristle or whatnot. Good shit.ab15220ced899614bf5695733fed003b.jpg

• Like 4

SIAP, but I just came across this stuff today at my local HEB and it is excellent. Cooked it up on my Camp Chef griddle, then some yellow corn tortillas on a generous layer of oil, and garnished them with raw onion and cilantro. Pretty damn good for a white boy. And I didn't bite a single piece of gristle or whatnot. Good shit.ab15220ced899614bf5695733fed003b.jpg

Need to try these out. Hopefully the circle c heb has them

17 hours ago, cabowabo said:

Thanks. Just picked some up.

Bought these a couple of times and cooked them up on my blackstone. Perfect for taqueria style tacos.

Your post made me try this. Good stuff with the right fixins.

b2af578183935d0f9fcb248e790b1a11.jpg

2 hours ago, Native Horn said:

Any of y'all been to an HEB that has a "True Texas BBQ" store inside of it?  Allegedly, pretty decent BBQ.  The new store in Austin at Congress/Slaughter is supposed to have one when they open in 2028 (kidding about 2028, but looks like it will be at least that long).  

The Mueller one has one. It is pretty damn good.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Native Horn said:

Any of y'all been to an HEB that has a "True Texas BBQ" store inside of it?  Allegedly, pretty decent BBQ.  The new store in Austin at Congress/Slaughter is supposed to have one when they open in 2028 (kidding about 2028, but looks like it will be at least that long).  

Actually had lunch at the one at 1604 and Bulverde today. Fatty brisket was pretty solid. There's no smoke ring, and it needs more smoke for me, but I'll eat it again. They serve Prasek's sausage, which I'm a fan of.  Pork ribs were ok. Green beans were under cooked, but the mac and cheese was good. Wish they'd serve some of their fresh tortillas. I'll have to go buy a pack before I go into the restaurant next time. For convenient BBQ with no line, it was well worth it.

Edited by IDIOTsavant
Typing on my phone sucks
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

adfd7b9609612eac51da7a5fadfda2f1.jpg

This stuff is pretty good for us who snack on protein. It says smoked and packed in Hillje, so I’m guessing Praseks because it looks and taste just like their jerky

It is Praseks. They have the same inspection facility number from the Dept of Ag. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rusty Shackelford said:

Huh, my HEB sells both Mike’s and Prasek’s and Prasek’s was a few cents cheaper. I bought them both and thought the Prasek’s was a little better.

I just bought some tonight and did a double check on the price of both.  Mike’s is $5:98 and Prasek’s is $6.99.   From observation, HEB is not known for price uniformity across the state.   I know you can find things cheaper at HEB in San Antonio vs the Corpus area for example because SA has more competition.   Down  in this area it’s Wal Mart and HEB and a few smaller grocery stores  and that’s about it.   Unfortunately. 

18 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

From observation, HEB is not known for price uniformity across the state.

Or from store to store.  I get the flyer for the store(s) close to my house (there's a code in the top corner, iirc) but shop at a different one on my way home from work.  The meat was on sale in the flyer but not at the store I stopped at.  They did say they would honor the price if I had the flyer but prices vary from store to store.