Shit HEB Makes (when its open).

DougO

On 11/15/2019 at 9:29 AM, Smax said:

Elevate your frito pie game

ffff.jpg

Tried them yesterday and they are really good, just not the heat level I’d like but if you make them that spicy most people won’t buy them so I understand. 

Edited by Hook1997

1 hour ago, MAUFRAIS said:

Were those Bob’s Texas Style jalapeño chips hot as fuck, or was I just a little kid with pussy ass tastebuds?

Not scientific, but I guess I could eat an atomic warhead and see if it still turns my face inside out, then apply a sour/hot conversion.

kids have much more sensitive taste buds than adults. 

On 11/19/2019 at 4:15 PM, Texas St. Armadillos said:

The Bob's Habanero chips might have been the best chips ever made.

A quick Google shows that Utz now owns the brand after acquiring the last company that bought out Bob's.

Bob's BBQ, Jalapeno, and Habanero were best in class for each flavor.

If there was every a legitimate use of the wreath fund, buying the Bob's brand and recipes from Utz has to be it.  Can't be more than tree fiddy since the brand has been dead for several years.

This may have been mentioned earlier, but the HEB app is a really good way to find an item within a particular store.  Make sure the app has the store you are in as your home store, then type in the item in the search bar, and it returns to tell you what aisle the item is on.  Pretty handy in my experience.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Native Horn said:

This may have been mentioned earlier, but the HEB app is a really good way to find an item within a particular store.  Make sure the app has the store you are in as your home store, then type in the item in the search bar, and it returns to tell you what aisle the item is on.  Pretty handy in my experience.

Yep, I agree.  If you use the list function, it puts your items in an order to get you through the store efficiently.

• Like 1

On 11/10/2019 at 12:35 AM, Victor Lazlo said:

Those are outstanding, I agree. 

But I suggest that you get you one of their glazed croissants and you’ll never look at the crullers again.

Their glazed croissants, when fresh, are perfection  

On 11/10/2019 at 8:56 PM, deft said:

929b8d66373e4f1e266a8c5bcf2e69fb.jpg

The truth....this man knows it.

About to eat a left over one from breakfast... Outstanding. 

Microwaved it a little longer than intended but fuck. It's like the perfect glazed with the flaky texture of a croissant. Awesome rec 

• Like 1

On 11/15/2019 at 9:29 AM, Smax said:

Elevate your frito pie game

ffff.jpg

So tried this yesterday. Definitely too spicy for me to snack on alone, but it's great in frito pie. Thanks

On 3/29/2018 at 5:44 PM, UT Lawnghorn said:

That Green Sauce is bomb.

001546369-1?id=RNkRZ1&fmt=jpg&fit=constr

Also finally tried this. Liked it with chips, but also got some Bill Miller breakfast tacos this morning and put topped it on them and it was *chef kisses finger tips*

• 2 weeks later...

Updates from the HEB today via the AAS:

New Slaughter Lane and Interstate 35 store 

Opens March 27

New South Congress and Oltorf store

Closes March 18

Reopens in 2022

Temporary H-E-B store in Twin Oaks Shopping Center, 2315 S. Congress

Opens Feb. 26

New U.S. 290 and FM 1826 store

Opens late 2020

Oak Hill store at 7010 Hwy. 71

Closes when U.S. 290 store opens

East Riverside Drive store

Renovation that includes addition of 7,000 square feet

Completion early 2020

South First Street and William Cannon Dr.

Closes April 2

I live 30 minutes from an heb, so I rarely go to one. The other night I was near that heb, late night and needed some groceries. No kidding, I wanted to buy everything I walked by, even the frozen pizza aisle is glorious, cheeses galore,  fresh this, fresh that. HEB does it right and when I have the energy for a 30 minute drive and shop, I'm going back. HEB does not fuck around. Those of you who make HEB your regular grocery should be extremely thankful. 

• Like 3

Boil 3 to 4 tomatillos (Peel the light shell off) and 1 or 2 jap (whole but no stem). Boil less than 10 mins, until the tomatillos are soft, not mushy.

scoop them out into a food processor / blender. 

add salt and garlic powder and one avocado peeled and pitted. Blend, season to taste. I would Start with one jap and taste. 

Very easy and quick to Make. You can adjust all ingredients to your tastes 

On 12/7/2019 at 3:31 PM, Murfdogg21 said:

Does anyone have a recipe for “that green sauce” that is closer to the stuff you get at greasy spoon taquerias? The HEB one is ok but not the same as that spicy, garlic, salty nectar that I lather on my tacos. 

Pretty easy. Roast some peppers and a few garlic cloves until blistered. Put in blender/processor, and a bit of oil. Removing blistered skin is somewhat optional, most people do, I kinda like keeping it for a bit more smoky type flavor. I don't do it often, though, it's a mess and it doesn't last real long in the fridge before it gets funky.

On 12/4/2019 at 4:08 PM, Wally Pryor said:

Updates from the HEB today via the AAS:

New Slaughter Lane and Interstate 35 store 

Opens March 27

New South Congress and Oltorf store

Closes March 18

Reopens in 2022

Temporary H-E-B store in Twin Oaks Shopping Center, 2315 S. Congress

Opens Feb. 26

New U.S. 290 and FM 1826 store

Opens late 2020

Oak Hill store at 7010 Hwy. 71

Closes when U.S. 290 store opens

East Riverside Drive store

Renovation that includes addition of 7,000 square feet

Completion early 2020

South First Street and William Cannon Dr.

Closes April 2

So they're finally closing down the worst HEB in Austin S. 1st and William Cannon HEB. Where will all the poors in my hood buy their plastic gold jewelry? I guess they'll have to travel two blocks east to I-35 and William Cannon to what was formally the #2 worst HEB in austin, but will be the newly-crowned #1 worst HEB in Austin on April 3, 2020. I wonder how long that one will stay open with the one opening at Slaughter and 35?

Edited by irishtexan

2 hours ago, irishtexan said:

So they're finally closing down the worst HEB in Austin S. 1st and William Cannon HEB. Where will all the poors in my hood buy their plastic gold jewelry? I guess they'll have to travel two blocks east to I-35 and William Cannon to what was formally the #2 worst HEB in austin, but will be the newly-crowned #1 worst HEB in Austin on April 3, 2020. I wonder how long that one will stay open with the one opening at Slaughter and 35?

It's ok. The Runberg HEB will gladly carry the torch as the worst.

001726521-1?id=3DVRH1&fmt=jpg&fit=constr

HEB's Mi Comida fajita beef is fattier than buying your own at Costco/Sam's and seasoning it yourself, but I like its seasoning for fajitas. If you have more time, do it your way with the Costco/Sam's fajita beef.

002058603-1?id=DptR_3&fmt=jpg&fit=constr

I like their Al Pastor pork, too, for my tacos al pastor.

002159971-1?id=_KLSN1&fmt=jpg&fit=constr

I like the burn from their hot pico, but I'm already used to it. The pico goes on both my tacos and fajitas.

001904739-1?id=xo9SD1&fmt=jpg&fit=constr

I love their spicy italian pork meatballs on a hoagie roll with swiss cheese, (whatever vegetables you want -- green peppers, onions, tomatoes, etc.) and, 001868680-1?id=I6XQZ1&fmt=jpg&fit=constr

this great Four J meatball sauce HEB sells. I like its flavor better than the run of the mill marinara sauce.

----And I like charro beans, but not HEB's charro beans (tried both the regular and the spicy). I prefer the HEB borracho beans also.

Edited by BachelorTrek