Shit HEB Makes (when its open).

DougO

New HEB ice cream flavors. Don’t like them. They have a slightly metallic aftertaste.

HOUSTON, Texas (KTRK) -- HEB is voluntarily recalling 19 varieties of ice cream that may be contaminated with broken metal from processing equipment found during routine maintenance.

The Texas grocery chain says there have been no reports of injuries to date, but they are issuing this recall out of an abundance of caution.

The affected products are sold under the EconoMax, Hill County Fare and Creamy Creations brands, and were sold in Texas and Mexico.

On 5/26/2018 at 8:32 PM, Stella Link said:

HEB's freshly squeezed OJ can sometimes taste a bit bitter. 

Picked this up at the Houston Bunker Hill location.  A bit pricey, but OMFG!!  Best stuff I ever tasted!

heb_1.jpg

you still won't get a beej from your wife. 

On 5/9/2018 at 12:35 PM, irishtexan said:

I've settled on Dave's Killer Bread. 

This right here.  I've never been a big bread fan, especially white, but I'll be damned if just a slice of Dave's by itself doesn't make a nice little snack.  I got two loaves last trip and one promptly went missing.  I found the empty wrapper in my son's room, which isn't too bad considering all the other stuff I could have probably discovered in there

• 2 weeks later...

I shop at the gimp HEB (Burnet/2222).  One thing I've noticed over the past year is that they exclusively play 70s hard rock in the store.  Today, Black Sabbath (Sweet Leaf, Changes), AC/DC (TNT), and The Who (The Seeker) played while I was in there. AC/DC appears to the be the store favorite since it plays nearly every time I'm in there.  Is this an HEB corporate-wide thing or is my HEB making up for it's relative shitiness compared to most other HEBs?

10 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

I shop at the gimp HEB (Burnet/2222).  One thing I've noticed over the past year is that they exclusively play 70s hard rock in the store.  Today, Black Sabbath (Sweet Leaf, Changes), AC/DC (TNT), and The Who (The Seeker) played while I was in there. AC/DC appears to the be the store favorite since it plays nearly every time I'm in there.  Is this an HEB corporate-wide thing or is my HEB making up for it's relative shitiness compared to most other HEBs?

That's my HEB. I play a game when I'm shopping there called "If You Had To Bang One Woman In This Store Who Would It Be?".  It's kinda sad actually.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

When I go early to the Hancock HEB, they're always playing 80s stuff when they're stocking. 

14 hours ago, utee94 said:

That HEB is actually about 10x better than it was before the renovations that happened maybe...6-8 years ago?  But it's still terrible.

You should try the one at Rundberg and Lamar. It'll make your experience at Burnet/Koening feel like you're shopping at Central Market.

21 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

No fresh tortillas at Parmer and McNeil as well. 

Yes, I discovered this just last week when I stopped by because I was in the area.  That was new to me, because 6+ years ago when I lived nearby, they had them.

13 hours ago, Deej said:

You should try the one at Rundberg and Lamar. It'll make your experience at Burnet/Koening feel like you're shopping at Central Market.

No, thanks anyway! :)

3 hours ago, HenryJames said:

No Mexicans either.

Which is weird because the part of Milwood that's right behind that store is very diverse and has a lot of Mexicans.  My next door neighbors were actual Mexican nationals, who split their time between Austin and Mexico City.  And tons of other neighbors were of Mexican descent. Most of them are still there around our old house, too.

• 2 weeks later...

Shrimp cakes are pretty legit. Surprisingly good. It's not like their crab cakes that are mostly bread filler, it's really jammed with shrimp, and good shrimp that was not fishy tasting at all. Just enough stuffing mixture to make it stick together.

shrimpcake.jpg

The stuffed jalapenos were made by me, from scratch.

Edited by DougO

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/news/2018/06/22/heb-starts-work-on-new-south-austin-store-other.html

Any thoughts of it being a Plus? Paywall...

In the latest sign of South Austin’s growth, HEB Grocery Co. is turning dirt on a huge store on South Congress Avenue near West Slaughter Lane — and that's good news for a Dallas developer already working on an adjacent retail center that has several tenants lined up.

http://austin.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/06-25-18-heb-first-true-texas-taco-shop-restaurant-san-antonio/

H-E-B unrolls its first-ever taco shop to delight of Texans everywhere 

H-E-B is stepping into the taco game.

The homegrown grocery chain believes San Antonio is home to the state's best tacos. That's why it opened its first-ever taco joint in the heart of Alamo City.

True Texas Tacos opened on June 15 and is located on the city's northeast side in the H-E-B store on Bulverde Road and Loop 1604.

Freshly made flour and corn tortillas with over a dozen breakfast and specialty tacos are showcased on the menu. Flavors range from bacon and egg to chopped brisket and barbacoa. (Read the full menu here.)

Tacos are be served from 5 am-2 pm Mondays through Saturdays and from 9 am-2 pm on Sundays, and prices range from $1.49 per taco to $2.79.

http://austin.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/06-25-18-heb-first-true-texas-taco-shop-restaurant-san-antonio/

H-E-B unrolls its first-ever taco shop to delight of Texans everywhere 

H-E-B is stepping into the taco game.

The homegrown grocery chain believes San Antonio is home to the state's best tacos. That's why it opened its first-ever taco joint in the heart of Alamo City.

True Texas Tacos opened on June 15 and is located on the city's northeast side in the H-E-B store on Bulverde Road and Loop 1604.

Freshly made flour and corn tortillas with over a dozen breakfast and specialty tacos are showcased on the menu. Flavors range from bacon and egg to chopped brisket and barbacoa. (Read the full menu here.)

Tacos are be served from 5 am-2 pm Mondays through Saturdays and from 9 am-2 pm on Sundays, and prices range from $1.49 per taco to $2.79.

Heart of the Alamo City!!!!!!

On 6/21/2018 at 9:03 PM, DougO said:

Shrimp cakes are pretty legit. Surprisingly good. It's not like their crab cakes that are mostly bread filler, it's really jammed with shrimp, and good shrimp that was not fishy tasting at all. Just enough stuffing mixture to make it stick together.

shrimpcake.jpg

The stuffed jalapenos were made by me, from scratch.

Looks like they use the same stuffing that's in their stuffed salmon dinners.  Those things are great.  All you have to do it add a little tony's or your seasoning of choice and bake them for 22 minutes.  Best $6 quick meal you will find.

On 6/25/2018 at 3:32 AM, Halohal said:

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/news/2018/06/22/heb-starts-work-on-new-south-austin-store-other.html

Any thoughts of it being a Plus? Paywall...

In the latest sign of South Austin’s growth, HEB Grocery Co. is turning dirt on a huge store on South Congress Avenue near West Slaughter Lane — and that's good news for a Dallas developer already working on an adjacent retail center that has several tenants lined up.

So they're FINALLY gonna start construction? They've had a sign up for about 4 years saying "HEB Coming Soon." Traffic is already a goddamn nightmare right there with Southpark Meadows just to the south. Can't imagine what a huge HEB and (another?) retail shop is gonna do to the area. 

17 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Looks like they use the same stuffing that's in their stuffed salmon dinners.  Those things are great.  All you have to do it add a little tony's or your seasoning of choice and bake them for 22 minutes.  Best $6 quick meal you will find.

Those stuffed salmon patties are pretty damn good.

8 minutes ago, kevwun said:

The ones my store has aren't patties.  They split a piece of salmon and fill it with the stuffing and have broccoli or asparagus as a side.

Yeah. I think he's saying the stuffing in the shrimp cake appears to be the same as in the salmon 

45 minutes ago, kevwun said:

i got one of those that smelled like milk when i opened the package.  the ones that haven't been rotten were good, though. 

1 hour ago, kevwun said:

I tried the stuffed salmon and it's pretty good, but still too bready for my taste. But I have frequently gotten the garlic pesto salmon, one of my go-to easy healthy dishes.

6 minutes ago, kevwun said:

The southwestern chicken breasts meals are pretty good also.

Yes, I've gotten those quite a bit lately. I usually slice them up and put eat them in a low-carb tortilla with some roasted japs. I don't really like the Chipotle lime ones, though. Too twangy.

On 6/11/2018 at 8:04 AM, CooterBrown said:

It's the only HEB that doesn't have fresh made tortillas. At least we get the chips.

I actually found what appeared to fresh tortillas last week at the Burnet/2222 HEB. They were in a blue cooler in the bakery section. Just swung by there and didn't see any. I'm not sure how often they do that or how late in the day they're available.

2 hours ago, DougO said:

Yes, I've gotten those quite a bit lately. I usually slice them up and put eat them in a low-carb tortilla with some roasted japs. I don't really like the Chipotle lime ones, though. Too twangy.

As someone who plays Telecasters, there's no such thing as too twangy. 

4 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

HEB needs to come to Dallas

That's one of the things I missed when I lived there for 4 years.  The best I had nearby in Uptown was an Albertson's that was meh, and most everything else was a Randall's/Tom Thumb. A Central Market finally opened on Lovers my last year in Dallas.  Would occasionally see Steve Nash there.

14 hours ago, South Austin said:

I actually found what appeared to fresh tortillas last week at the Burnet/2222 HEB. They were in a blue cooler in the bakery section. Just swung by there and didn't see any. I'm not sure how often they do that or how late in the day they're available.

Good to know. I will look for it next time I'm at the gimp.

They put these things on sale about once every 3 months.  And when they do, I buy them.  There's not a better deal since the Dutch scored Manhattan from the Injuns.  3/4 lb. for $4 (the sale is $1 off).  Got damn things are so good I'll get fat again, I just know it.  They're currently on sale, and I've bought 2 of them in the last 2 days already.

large_4632c1e3-07e7-4822-b95d-33e14c9ad8

Edited by phdhorn
  • Like 1