Shit HEB Makes (when its open).

DougO

16 hours ago, clapclapclap said:

But did you try Swoon Key Lime Pie flavor?  It's their standout.

And if you wait until they have one of their frequent Swoon sales you can get a dollar knocked off the price, and usually there's a coupon hanging from the door for another dollar off.  Which they did again last week.

check out blueberry strudel. it's fantastic

1 hour ago, elfenix said:

HEB was completely out of frozen/refrigerated fish last i went.  did my store's (washington ave houston) refrigerator go out or is this something systemic?

I was at the Hancock location a couple of weeks ago when they opened at 7am, and the entire frozen aisle was full of stockers filling mostly empty freezers.

Has anybody noticed cooking spray for grilling is nonexistent right now? I tried twice at Target and HEB and they dropped it out of my online order each time.

I noticed that. Supply chain issues from China? That’s the reason why there hasn’t been any cherry Coke Zero for over a month.

On 7/10/2020 at 12:05 PM, elfenix said:

HEB was completely out of frozen/refrigerated fish last i went.  did my store's (washington ave houston) refrigerator go out or is this something systemic?

hmm, i pass that HeB driving to W Alabama, might need to stop once 

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/texas/article/H-E-B-named-best-supermarket-in-America-15390766.php

Edited by tx 3 putt

5 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

I noticed that. Supply chain issues from China? That’s the reason why there hasn’t been any cherry Coke Zero for over a month.

aluminum is in very short supply.  Seriously.

There's An Aluminum Can Shortage, So Finding Your Favorite Sodas Might Be A Challenge

cans of cola
PHOTOSHOTGETTY IMAGES

Grocery shopping is a very different experience now than it once was. Hours and policies have changed, and some products are harder to find than they ever were before. Although things like toilet paper and paper towels are easier to find now than they were back in March, shortages of some items, like aluminum cans, are impacting availability of some fan-favorite sodas.

The reason for this aluminum can shortage is that customers are turning to canned drinks more than they ever were before the pandemic. The Brevard Times explained that drinks in glass bottles are often enjoyed at bars and restaurants, and because of COVID-19 related closures, such drinks are no longer being served en masse. Consumers who were stocking up on groceries at the beginning of the pandemic turned to beverages in aluminum cans because they're easier to store and stack than glass or liter bottles.

Now, as the aluminum can supply chain tries to keep up, it might be a little bit more difficult to find your favorite drinks in stock at the supermarket. A spokesperson for Ball, a can manufacturer, told CBS affiliate KHOU-11 that they are doing what they can to keep up with demand.

"We are aggressively expanding our U.S. can manufacturing production by installing two new lines in existing facilities and building two state-of-the-art plants," they said.

Many frustrated fans have been tweeting at their favorite soda companies, like Coca-Cola, to ask why it's so hard to find their products in stores. Coca-Cola has been explaining to customers that they are doing what they can and has offered to look into availability in certain areas if the customers follow up with additional information.

Edited by slorch

37 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Very interesting read. Thanks for posting.

If you can’t find Pecos melons, look for Sugar Kiss. They are out and about right now and are incredibly delicious.

Edited by Orange&White
Auto correct changed pecos to pecks
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, HenryJames said:

CM North Lamar has Pecos cantaloupes for any of you guys who fuck.

Ooh.   Pecos cantaloupe cut half in two, de-seeded and then a half garnished with a large scoop of home-made vanilla ice cream.    

For realz.  

• Like 1

Count me with those who order online, and often run into issues with availability.  I think there is sometimes an issue with items not getting reset to available after being restocked.  I've also experienced occasions where varieties of items that are always available in the store don't show up at all on the website (varieties x y and z are listed, but not q).  In both instances, I have been able to successfully get what I want by ordering a different variety and putting in the shopper notes that I prefer  "q" if it is available.  It does not work every time, but more often than not, it does. 

I also get weird substitutions where it appears the shopper was unfamiliar with the store, or was just being lazy, but that is going to happen.  Under the circumstances, I'll deal with it rather than braving the store with the herd. 

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of weeks ago I needed TP, and HEB was out of every name brand (second wave of hoarding?). So I tried a smallish pack of HEB mega-roll soft. I swear it's probably the best toiet paper I've ever wiped my ass with. It's strong an consistent, yet soft. It is even easy to find the starting end of the roll, with a little folded edge to keep it from sticking. Even the big name brands have become a real problem in that area, you waste about half the damn roll just getting it started without the plies all shredding apart.

On 8/4/2020 at 11:53 PM, Hank_Hill said:

HEB tp slaps. And like 2/3 the price.

I doubt I have purchased  anything other than HEB shitter paper for the last 10 years. Started with the "ultra soft", but am now a devout "ultra strong" wiper. 

They have a line of flavored almonds sorta like the little blue diamond cans. The sweet chile ones slam, and the churro flavored are like candy. They make the Blue Diamond cans, which are expensive for what you get, obsolete.

Also got the hatch queso which is really good and actually spicy. The hatch chips suck, they're too small and they're in a million little pieces.

Edited by BradInATX

10 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Has there been a run on beer lately? I'm well aware of the aluminum can shortage, but HEB Heights has picked completely clean of Miller Lite, Coors Light and Lone Star longneck 12 packs. 

Maybe you should buy better beer ;)

Edited by AustinMT
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 8/20/2020 at 8:30 AM, billfromlaketravis said:

Has there been a run on beer lately? I'm well aware of the aluminum can shortage, but HEB Heights has picked completely clean of Miller Lite, Coors Light and Lone Star longneck 12 packs. 

Talking to a friend in the industry, there's all kinds of shortages that are affecting the market.  There's the can issue.  AB, Miller, Coors all have their own can manufacturing subsidiaries. Normally, they are also a supplier but now they are hoarding their cans. There's also a CO2 shortage that he thinks is worse than the can shortage. Most CO2 produced is a byproduct of ethanol production. No one is driving so ethanol is way down and as a result, CO2 production is way down.

• Hook 'Em 1

You know what else CO2 is a byproduct of? Beer production. 
LOL at the thought of the beer industry being worried about not being able to get CO2 from other industries. Capture the CO2 from your own process, fuckers.

My friend is in the hard seltzer bidness. He was probably talking specifically about it.