Shit HEB Makes (when its open).

DougO

Not H-E-B, per se, but it is made by the H-E-B folks.  Central Market Hatch Green Chili Queso has the suck. Avoid it. 
Roasting my own hatch chilies and throwing them in a pot of Rotel & Easy Melt worked much better. 
Weird, I just read this same thing earlier. Good to know.

Does anyone else's heb have a "customer loading" area right by a entrance?  Mine does, but people tend to use it as a "hey I'll just run in real quick for something but someone will stay on the car to make it look semi legit ". 

Or less often  a "fuck it I'm gonna park here, it's not like anyone enforces anything"  

They should just make them handicap spots.  

i've never seen those in HEB before.  What cold section are they in?

In the refrigerated dough section, bottom bin, usually jammed I a corner so you can’t see

You have to babysit them when you cook them. Easy to take your eye off and smoke one beyond oblivion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/19/2018 at 7:42 AM, PorscheGuy said:

In the refrigerated dough section, bottom bin, usually jammed I a corner so you can’t see

You have to babysit them when you cook them. Easy to take your eye off and smoke one beyond oblivion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

next to the biscuits at my HEB.  i'll echo the watch them sentiment - i cook heating the cast iron on medium until just smoking, then toss a tortilla on, wait for a couple bubbles, flip, wait a bit more, flip, and then keep flipping every couple-few seconds until done.  works better than the single flip large bubble method.

also, turn off your tapatalk sig.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

Baked some chicken the other night with HEB cream of jalapeno soup and taco seasoning poured on top of it.  Made a delicious 'gravy'.  Have also used it to thin out queso.  Shit's good.  

Sounds good.  What section is the Soup in?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

Baked some chicken the other night with HEB cream of jalapeno soup...

Funny you mention that. I had picked up a can of condensed Cream of Poblano and used it to make a sauce for chicken enchiladas just last night. I was disappointed. To make it as soup, it says to add a can of water or milk, so I thought it would be nice and thick, but it really wasn't. Even after blending in a quarter cup of Hatch chiles, it was still pretty thin without adding any additional liquids. I thought it was a bit bland tasting as well.

25 minutes ago, BNB said:

Sounds good.  What section is the Soup in?

In the canned soup aisle.

Edited by DoobieWah
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

I rarely eat bread myself, but I've been buying the cheapass 79 cent loaves of white bread as treats for a couple of donkeys. It's perfectly good bread, very soft, barely distinguishable from the Mrs. Baird's bread my family has bought for years for three times the price. I have nothing against Mrs. Baird's, a Texas national treasure, but if you switched the wrappers I doubt anyone would notice.

On the other hand, the cheapass Wal Mart Great Value white bread is already kinda stiff and semi-stale fresh out of the wrapper, and costs about a dime more.

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Getting kind of pissed off at HEB for cutting brands that aren't HEB.

My local store no longer carries the independent brand fresh salsa that I love -- the only fresh salsa they sale now is made at HEB, and it sucks.

So now I'm eating salsa out of a jar.  Fuck this.

i've been buying the no-brand fresh pico (heb's pico is fancier and more expensive - i don't want green onions and i don't want that much cilantro) and some of the no-brand salsa from the same cooler, and i've noticed that the section is getting smaller and smaller.  a couple weeks ago there wasn't any no-brand  pico at all and i was afraid that was the end of it.  back again last week, but, as i said, the section got smaller. 

Construction on the new HEB at Slaughter and Congress is getting off the ground.   I've not seen an estimated completion date.

Also saw where the scary HEB on Congress and Oltorf is relocating across the street into the old Twin Oaks complex.   No word on whether the strippers who patronize the existing location will continue to do so at the new locale. 

2 hours ago, Wally Pryor said:

Construction on the new HEB at Slaughter and Congress is getting off the ground.   I've not seen an estimated completion date.

Also saw where the scary HEB on Congress and Oltorf is relocating across the street into the old Twin Oaks complex.   No word on whether the strippers who patronize the existing location will continue to do so at the new locale. 

Wow, that seems like a helluva of an expense to just move across the street.  

3 hours ago, Wally Pryor said:

Is that official? Someone spread a rumor that they'd put a Central Market there which makes some sense since the two locations are always busy AF.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw this from The Performing Arts Center of The Woodlands...couldn’t resist.  

Our  hours of business are:
Mondays: Mornings: 10:30-noon.
Tuesday Mornings: 11-noon
Monday-Thursday our afternoon hours are: 4-9pm
We are closed to the public Fridays-Sundays. 
Please call the office for class times or check our website. 
We will be closed for the Thanksgiving Holidays:
November 19-23. Opening again on: Monday, November 26th at 10:30am.

My reply:

That’s the most fucked up schedule I’ve ever seen. Clear as mud.

But...somehow...you’re open more than HEB.

Is that official? Someone spread a rumor that they'd put a Central Market there which makes some sense since the two locations are always busy AF.

They're not building any more CMs anywhere, so you can disregard that rumor.

That brisket looks dry as fuck.

Agreed. Would not feed that to my dog.

On 11/10/2018 at 12:47 PM, tokamak said:

They're not building any more CMs anywhere, so you can disregard that rumor.

didn't they literally just open one at Midway/Northwest Highway in the last 60 days?

this DMN article says "Oak Cliff and Uptown Central Markets continue to be in the works, but without firm timelines."

have inside info here?