Shit HEB Makes (when its open).

DougO

On 11/8/2020 at 11:22 AM, TexasMan said:

image.png.c94d01bfa209a6c9474eac9824b32a61.png

Anyone ever try this? I love the patty melt, but what else could you use this with besides French fries?

There's a slaw recipe from HEB that is basically their power slaw mix, their corn salsa, and this. And it is delicious. 

On 10/28/2020 at 7:40 AM, NoName said:

noticed that my HEB has some combo of new tamales in it - HCF, HEB branded and Mi Tienda...anyone try them or have any specific recs?

Bumping for any feedback on the tamales. We are in Texas visiting kids for thanksgiving and will stop by HEB to pick up some things. Is it worth picking some up to take back home to KC?

My wife picked up some tamales last night, one was the pork HEB brand package and another pack of the tamales aguilar bean and cheese, I think they were called that. The HEB brand was good option but if you're going back to Kansas City you could do a lot worse, same with Aguilar but smaller sizes. I'll likely eat them again in the morning with some eggs and a  few lone stars

• Hook 'Em 1

The HEB on Far West is rather MILFy this morning.

Go there on a weekday morning around 9:00-10:00, after their yoga classes. You’re welcome.

Rundberg HEB gives you a handgun to shop with. 

Dude....that’s my favorite HEB. Seriously, it’s a United Nations, with all the food options you’d expect from such a mix. 5 different kids of fresh tortillas, a fruiteria set up inside in the summer, all kinds of non-traditional meats and veggies. I love that place.

https://www.heb.com/product-detail/h-e-b-chef-prepared-spinach-dip/298321
HEB makes all kinda of prepared dips that are absolutely delicious.  This spinach dip, chipotle salsa ranch, dill dip, etc.  Even online, it looks like this is now the only one available.  The others are packaged very similarly.  Very disappointed as the chipotle and dill dips slammed hard.  I looked in my store recently and the only one I could find is that spinach dip.  WTF man?

Bought some of the salsa ranch to try this past weekend. Holy crap. It’s a terrible idea to have that around the house. It’s crack.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, DoobieWah said:

Go here or here instead. 

Real deal Texas tamales. 

I'm in the DFW area, so not close to either of those. We have a place in KC where we can get some decent ones. Not gonna go out of our way to get some, but we are going to stop by HEB to pick up some things we can't get, so just wondered if the tamales are worth picking up. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Go there on a weekday morning around 9:00-10:00, after their yoga classes. You’re welcome.

Dude....that’s my favorite HEB. Seriously, it’s a United Nations, with all the food options you’d expect from such a mix. 5 different kids of fresh tortillas, a fruiteria set up inside in the summer, all kinds of non-traditional meats and veggies. I love that place.

Bought some of the salsa ranch to try this past weekend. Holy crap. It’s a terrible idea to have that around the house. It’s crack.

For real though. It’s incredible.

On 11/27/2020 at 12:48 PM, Mo Horn said:

I'm in the DFW area, so not close to either of those. We have a place in KC where we can get some decent ones. Not gonna go out of our way to get some, but we are going to stop by HEB to pick up some things we can't get, so just wondered if the tamales are worth picking up. 

You want the ones they're carrying around in the knockoff HEB brand YETI coolers.  

Covid vaccines

H-E-B pharmacies will be one of the many distribution sites in Houston when a COVID-19 vaccine is released to the public, the grocery chain said.

While a set date for the vaccine release hasn't been announced, all H-E-B pharmacies are ready to administer it when it becomes available, said H-E-B director of public affairs Dya Campos.

The federal and state governments will set a strict distribution schedule for administration and H-E-B said it plans to follow the guidelines. It is unclear if every H-E-B pharmacy will have a vaccine, as availability is determined by government officials.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

We talked about the Mi Tienda tamales yet? Got damn the chicken and cream cheese ones go hard.

They really do. Bought several varieties, the chicken and cream cheese were gone first. 

2 hours ago, Deej said:

I'm gonna wait and get the cheaper Hill Country Fare version of the vaccine.

Based on the tamales and fajitas ruling above all others, I'm waiting for the Mi Tienda version of the vaccine. 

• Like 1

With HEB tamales, you know what you are getting.  Typically really good quality tamale that can be dressed up to your liking, generating many Steel Shank Thread worthy plates.

BUT...occasionally you buy tamales in a parking lot from an older hispanic lady, and it absolutely crushes it.  Yes there is always the chance that you could end up with a bad batch of homemade tamales in this scenario, but its worth the risk for the reward.

tamale whisperer GIF

Edited by hookemATL
dumb

I’ve had a couple of the empanadas now. The beef and bean ones were pretty good, but the carne guisada ones are straight crack. I’ll get them and think I’ll have one today and one tomorrow, but most of the time I eat them both. I can’t help it. Those things speak to me.
  • Like 1

Was out running errands outside of our usual range last night, so hit the HEB up in Leander.  They have the fresh tortillas -- including fresh, hot tortillas in an insulated container.  My daughter and I picked up a pack.....and each ate one - a fresh, hot flour tortilla - in the car as a snack.  A fresh hot tortilla, plain, is a thing of beauty, and the HEB fresh tortillas are top tier.  I wish that all HEBs stocked them.

• Drool 1

• 2 weeks later...
Picked one of these up today. Haven't seen them before in HEB. Guessing it's a Christmas thing? Either way, will report back Friday.

ce7132968f6c6b3d2adfca31918dce22.jpg

Several H-E-B in Austin keep a regular supply of wagyu now. Either the briskets or preformed patties or a regular selection in the meat counter. I smoked a 5 lb wagyu chuck roast this week that was outstanding. I think the briskets are a different brand with an H-E-B label slapped over at slaughter H-E-B. I don’t know that I’ve seen the label in your picture.

Several H-E-B in Austin keep a regular supply of wagyu now. Either the briskets or preformed patties or a regular selection in the meat counter. I smoked a 5 lb wagyu chuck roast this week that was outstanding. I think the briskets are a different brand with an H-E-B label slapped over at slaughter H-E-B. I don’t know that I’ve seen the label in your picture.
The back of the plastic wrap has Snake River Farms branding on it.

Good to know. I never saw Wagyu at the Manchaca and Slaughter HEB before I moved.

• 3 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

4579955A-91D0-4113-B944-96DE8EC5D945.jpeg

I hope those are better than their regular bagged frijoles -- they were bland as hell.

I'm a bigger fan of the La Sierra canned refrieds.  Add some bacon grease to the pan, dump in the can, maybe a splash of water and a dash of salt as they sizzle and heat up, and they're MI-T-FINE.