Dallas | Sandwiches

Landomatic

Went to New York Subs today, near Snyder Plaza.  It’s no Jimmy’s but it’s pretty damn good.  Better than any of the chains.

Wasn’t sure whether to put this under Dallas Italian or start a new Dallas Sandwich thread.  Can’t believe we don’t have a Dallas Sandwich thread so I went with that.

What else you got, Surly?  For sandwiches.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Went to New York Subs today, near Snyder Plaza.  It’s no Jimmy’s but it’s pretty damn good.  Better than any of the chains.

Wasn’t sure whether to put this under Dallas Italian or start a new Dallas Sandwich thread.  Can’t believe we don’t have a Dallas Sandwich thread so I went with that.

What else you got, Surly?  For sandwiches.

A favorite.  However, I don't think it's quite as good as it was in its original incarnation under Ken Harkness.

Some of you dustfarts may remember when it had a location on the Drag.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Looks like the meatball or italian sausage to me...with peppers and onions.

Meatball was my guess. As a side, those rolls would be perfect for cheesesteaks. I don't think they sell them in the store, though -- at least not unless you order the sandwich. Or do they?

18 hours ago, C-Man said:

Meatball was my guess. As a side, those rolls would be perfect for cheesesteaks. I don't think they sell them in the store, though -- at least not unless you order the sandwich. Or do they?

Yes they will sell you just the rolls.  Or they did me the one time I tried anyway.  They’re not in their bread section.  You have to ask the deli

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, BigDHornfan said:

Eatzi's makes a great sandwich.  Love their Bone Bread.  And their roast beef is awesome.

Great sandwiches but you've got to halfsies on the bone bread -- lest you get 3-4 X's more sandwich than you need. Personally, I wish they'd do half versions of both their salads and sandwiches.

Go to at Eatzi's is the half roasted chicken with 2 sides for $10. It's like a meal and a half and I can usually get a couple lunches out of it if I'm eating on the lighter side. 

Not a huge fan of their sandwiches/salads but I have Great American Hero down the street if I'm needing a sub fix. And as we all know, you don't make friends with salad. 

• 2 months later...

I tried Stacks Sandwich Co in the design district yesterday. Really solid. All the sandwiches are $7 and they change the menu frequently. Sides are $4 and enough to share. I had the fried green tomato and pimento cheese sandwich, it was legit.

http://dallas.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/08-02-19-stacks-sandwiches-design-district-margaux/

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Landomatic said:

Jimmy's Italian Stallion on white.  Maybe the second best sandwich on earth.  I wonder how many days in a row I can go trying a different sandwich from Jimmy's?

WldwxV.jpg

Sandwich reminds of Hope Solo for some reason

1 hour ago, threesheets said:

I've said it on here before I think, but I'd get the stallion every time if the bread wasn't so hit-and-miss.  That's why their cuban is such a sure thing.

Yeah, I think it's their baguette that's so hit and miss...mostly miss.  I quit using it.  I go with the white bread every time and it's always great.

Those awesome Jimmy's sandwiches are classics, no argument here.

But, in the exact opposite direction and probably what I crave the most is the jambon buerre at Scardello's in the farmer's market.   It just a crusty baguette loaded with nice rosemary ham and so much french butter than I usually ask for half butter.   That's it.  No cheese.  No vegetables.  No dressings.  Nothing.  So simple and so perfectly good.

And a few steps away is the Banh Mi at Nammi.  This is the first banh mi I ever had, so it's still my favorite.

I love a good Mexican torta and getting one in Mexico is usually my favorite lunch on my trips down there.  I have not found an equivalent in Dallas, even in Oak Cliff.  I need to keep trying.

1 hour ago, DFWTexEx said:

But, in the exact opposite direction and probably what I crave the most is the jambon buerre at Scardello's in the farmer's market. 

You tell me after I quit working across the street from Scardello's.

That sounds amazing. 

Day 3...Italian Beef.  I normally swear by the white bread over the baguette (as mentioned up thread) but I should have gone with the baguette on this one.  It's got a ton of "gravy" on it and the bread was pretty soggy by the time I ate it.  I'm guessing the baguette would have help up better.  Still great though.  Easily in the top 3 best sandwiches I've had this week.

8BnPfb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Met Lando at Stacks. Thrown together kind of last minute so I apologize DDD. Lando initially forgot about it anyways.

I got the fried green tomato/pimento cheese and it was OK, I guess. A little on the weird side (blue cornmeal baked into the bread). Lando got the BLT and it was pretty tasty but there was very little product in between the three slices of bread. We both got the tater-tot sides and they were a bit off-putting. Not very good at all. I'll give it another shot just to try the friend chicken and perhaps the brisket torta. Drink options were weird too.

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

Met Lando at Stacks. Thrown together kind of last minute so I apologize DDD. Lando initially forgot about it anyways.

I got the fried green tomato/pimento cheese and it was OK, I guess. A little on the weird side (blue cornmeal baked into the bread). Lando got the BLT and it was pretty tasty but there was very little product in between the three slices of bread. We both got the tater-tot sides and they were a bit off-putting. Not very good at all. I'll give it another shot just to try the friend chicken and perhaps the brisket torta. Drink options were weird too.

1 minute ago, Landomatic said:

Yeah sorry @DDD Dad I totally spaced that you wanted to join up.  Then I almost spaced going altogether.  But as @C-Man mentioned, you didn’t miss much.  It was pretty damn average if you ask me.  Let’s all try to do a surly makeup at Jimmy’s some day

No worries.  I had a hearing today so couldn't have done lunch anyway.  Hit me up for Jimmy's.  Almost went there yesterday but the wife didn't want to go there.  Passed on Come Tacos, too.  The things we do for love.

At least I got to try the Testa sandwich, which was a pleasant surprise.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/11/2019 at 11:03 PM, C-Man said:

The brisket and pimento cheese sandwich at Meat Shop is fucking amazeballs. Just sayin".

Cool.  Jumped on here to specifically ask for a place that served pimento cheese.  I hated it growing up; however, I ate a more gourmet-style sandwich in Knoxville once and thought it was the best thing I'd ever eaten.  Gonna have to try this place.