all you Honda lawnmower assholes can suck it

6 years ago, I sold a hoarder house.  It was so bad that the listing agent bought a 40 yard roll off bin   I  show up shortly after the bin was delivered, and there was 1 thing in the bin.  A "WeedEater" branded mower,  with a B&S engine.    I looked at it, pulled the rope and felt compression, so I grabbed it and threw it in the trunk of the car.  Got it home, checked oil, added gas, primed, and boom, it started and ran beautifully.  

I have over 2 acres, so it became my weed mower for the back of the property.  Used it since I brought it home. 

Anyhoo, because I'm an asshole, I left this thing out behind the garage, in the rain, for several months. 

Today, I checked the oil, added gas, and the mofo started on the first pull.

Briggs and Stratton Engines are terrific.   Really great. 

• Like 2

When I bought my first house in 2007 my dad gave me an old mower my BIL has given him. It was a B&S engine. It was missing a piece that controlled the throttle and it wouldn’t run (my dad explained this). I fixed it with a paper clip.

The mower was probably 6 years old when I got it. I had it for another 9. I vibrated itself to pieces. The deck literally fell apart one day when I was mowing.

I treated that mower like shit. Never changed the oil. All I did was put gas in it and sharped the blade a couple times and cleaned the air filter. Towards the end of its life it started having run problems, but damn it was a good mower.

Got a Honda and it’s glorious.

My grandfather had a pump with a B&S engine, bought in the early 60s. We ran that thing for over 50 years, about a month or two every year (pumping water at a summer house). Changed the oil at the end of every season, cleaned/replaced the plug as necessary, the whole nine yards. The damn thing was always a bitch to start; I still remember my grandfather cursing as he tried to start it at the beginning of each season - the only time I've ever heard him curse. He broke the starter rope at least a couple of times by repeatedly pulling on it. It ran great once it finally started, but damn that thing was a PITA to get going.

Finally replaced it about 5 years ago with a Honda pump. It literally starts on the first gentle tug on the rope, even after a full winter of sitting idle. So my anecdote contradicts yours.

18 hours ago, Handcruser said:

My dad bought a sears push mower in 1971 I believe. May have been ‘72.

Anyway, that thing was still running like a champ in 2001 when he upgraded. He never did dick to it except spark plugs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I've got a Sears tiller that came over on the mayflower.  Still runs good.  I'll get a photo.  It's got to be 50+ years old.