Fear and Loathing in College Station

Macanudo

Your breakfast story saddens me. This town has one good breakfast place. One. There are a handful of passable breakfast taco joints, but none of them are anywhere near campus, as you might expect, having witnessed for yourself the whitest part of Texas.

The ag swag in that little slice of heaven where you stayed is perhaps a little more than what you get elsewhere in town, but not by much. Even in the more hippie friendly spots in town, you'll still see a nauseating amount of maroon, and are far too likely to see nothing but Benjamin Knox on the walls. If you don't know who that is, you aren't an aggy. He's what Bob Ross would have been if he'd had a lobotomy and someone had sucked out his soul and thrown him in sheep dip.

I cannot fucking wait to get the hell out of here.

4 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Real question - how does the Texas A&M Conference Center & Hotel's aggy-themed décor and names compare to the AT&T Hotel & Conference Center on UT's campus?

I've only been to the Carillion restaurant.

We stayed at the AT&T Hotel and conference center for my daughter's (no, dammit, no pictures) orientation.  This was 2011, so they may have redecorated since then, and my recollection may be off, but I don't recall any UT specific art work in the lobby or the room.  The color scheme used burnt orange, but that seemed to me to be the extent of it.  It looked like a tastefully decorated hotel in Austin.  It certainly didn't look like the Co-op puked Longhorn decorations everywhere.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Real question - how does the Texas A&M Conference Center & Hotel's aggy-themed décor and names compare to the AT&T Hotel & Conference Center on UT's campus?

I've only been to the Carillion restaurant.

I would like to know the same thing

Post script:  When we left I had an interesting conversation with the valet manager.  His wife is a post doc at A&M.   They came down from the NE (Boston) for her career.  Early on I said "I'm a pilgrim in an unholy land."    And he replied back "It's a cult plain and simple.   And they're all weirdos."  from there, it was pretty much just Aggie bashing.   He can't wait for her to finish so they can get the hell out of it there.   

As for the tournament, not so good.   One team went 1-1-1, the other went 1-2.   Neither had a good enough Points For/Against differential to move on.  Our program used to be pretty good (Kingwood won state a couple of years ago) but the people running it ran off some of the better players recently and we don't have enough kids to field both a high school varsity and JV without having 6-7 girls on both squads.  And even with that, there's only 1-2 subs for each team.   I think there are only 2 seniors and 2 juniors right now.   Almost half of the high school squad is freshman.

But the real news:   Valet manager called about an hour ago.   They found the keys and he even offered to drive them to Houston.   I said, nah, Fedex them and keep the insurance ticket open.   If they arrive, then we tear it up.   

• Like 4

Leave it to those idiots to create some bullshit symbolism to explain why it's really a good thing to have trains blaring horns in the middle of the night.

In fact, there's probably a $30 "train fee" surcharge since it's close enough to whoop! along with it when it passes gloriously in the night.

Edited by Eternal Noob
dumb

14 hours ago, Bullneck said:

Fifteen years ago I went to College Station and was amazed at the lack of decent hotels.  Apparently not much has changed.  

Yeah, I've spent several weekends over there.  That hotel Mac stayed in was the one that I thought was the best of the bunch.  

9 hours ago, Macanudo said:

Post script:  When we left I had an interesting conversation with the valet manager.  His wife is a post doc at A&M.   They came down from the NE (Boston) for her career.  Early on I said "I'm a pilgrim in an unholy land."    And he replied back "It's a cult plain and simple.   And they're all weirdos."  from there, it was pretty much just Aggie bashing.   He can't wait for her to finish so they can get the hell out of it there.   

As for the tournament, not so good.   One team went 1-1-1, the other went 1-2.   Neither had a good enough Points For/Against differential to move on.  Our program used to be pretty good (Kingwood won state a couple of years ago) but the people running it ran off some of the better players recently and we don't have enough kids to field both a high school varsity and JV without having 6-7 girls on both squads.  And even with that, there's only 1-2 subs for each team.   I think there are only 2 seniors and 2 juniors right now.   Almost half of the high school squad is freshman.

But the real news:   Valet manager called about an hour ago.   They found the keys and he even offered to drive them to Houston.   I said, nah, Fedex them and keep the insurance ticket open.   If they arrive, then we tear it up.   

do you know where they found the fob?

koons+watch.jpg

• Like 3

On 1/27/2019 at 10:41 PM, George Clooney said:

Wasn't someone else on here there for a lacrosse tournament this weekend? I think it was @Gardner Barnes. Maybe he suffered along with you.

Yep

The town is about as aggy as you can imagine, the campus is ugly as fuck, and the area is basically one giant suburban paradise of big box stores and Red Lobsters, but other than that it wasn't too bad.

RE the hotel, you got fucked.  We stayed at the Aloft on University Dr.  Not a thing in the ENTIRE hotel was aggy branded or aggy related.  It could have been an Aloft anywhere.  Our experience at the tournament was positive, other than when my dumbass decided to go to dinner at Wings N' More.  Holy shit that is the aggy nexus.  

Edited by Gardner Barnes
  • Like 1

On 1/28/2019 at 8:10 AM, Walden Ponderer said:

Your breakfast story saddens me. This town has one good breakfast place. One. There are a handful of passable breakfast taco joints, but none of them are anywhere near campus, as you might expect, having witnessed for yourself the whitest part of Texas.

The ag swag in that little slice of heaven where you stayed is perhaps a little more than what you get elsewhere in town, but not by much. Even in the more hippie friendly spots in town, you'll still see a nauseating amount of maroon, and are far too likely to see nothing but Benjamin Knox on the walls. If you don't know who that is, you aren't an aggy. He's what Bob Ross would have been if he'd had a lobotomy and someone had sucked out his soul and thrown him in sheep dip.

I cannot fucking wait to get the hell out of here.

Man we had some really damn good breakfast tacos in Bryan at a place called La Familia.  Really solid Migas on par with most anything in Austin.

Edited by Gardner Barnes

2 minutes ago, Gardner Barnes said:

Man we had some reppy damn good breakfast tacos in Bryan at a place called La Familia.  Really solid Migas on par with most anything in Austin.

Yep. Casa Rodriguez is pretty good, too, with a more-than-passable hot verde sauce. Jesse's Tacos can compete with anybody, also. If you ever find yourself here again, you've got the right idea -- eat in Bryan.

9 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Yep. Casa Rodriguez is pretty good, too, with a more-than-passable hot verde sauce. Jesse's Tacos can compete with anybody, also. If you ever find yourself here again, you've got the right idea -- eat in Bryan.

I kind of got the idea that area probably scares the white kids in college station.  My daughter and I were the only gringos in the place.   When we walked in around 7AM, 4 old hispanic dudes were sitting at the first table eating menudo and drinking coffee.  I told my daughter that this will work.

5 tacos on homemade tortillas and 2 coffees, $15 and change including tip.  Big time thumbs up here

Edited by Gardner Barnes
  • Like 2

On 1/31/2019 at 2:34 AM, texas08 said:

Damn, do I have to start traveling to places (def not aggyville) with both key fobs?!? Who does that! Lucky as hell!

I'm that nerd. I always make sure the second one is with us while traveling.  

After 20 years of carrying my last pair of glasses as a backup, when traveling, I actually needed them a couple of months ago.

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP