The Three Best Movies You've Never Seen, or Seen and Didn't Like

tantric superman

58 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

I'm tried of your goddamn opinion, and your taste, and your favorite movie.

Tell us the movie you've never seen, or that you've seen and hated, that you suspect is a damn good movie, but you're just not worthy.

2001 A space Odyssey. Can't sit thru the whole thing, and I've tried on at least 5 occasions.  Paint drying has more interesting pacing than that masterpiece. 

The English Patient, nope not gonna watch it.

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

2001 A space Odyssey. Can't sit thru the whole thing, and I've tried on at least 5 occasions.  Paint drying has more interesting pacing than that masterpiece. 

2nd this. Sorry. Can't do it. And I feel like I've slogged through shit way less interesting. 

Two I'm kind of embarrassed for not having seen yet, really just because I never feel like watching them:

American History X

Schindler's List

I'm still playing catch-up so I deserve a pass on a lot, but probably not on those two. 

Grave of the Fireflies is another one. Idk. There's just something about a movie that I assume and have every reason to believe is fantastic but that I know will be depressing. 

And I believe the way this works is you should give us your 3 @tantric superman

Oh yeah, @deadshank. I walked out of Black Panther halfway through. I'm sure it's a fine movie. Didn't feel like watching the rest of it. That was the straw on the camel's back for superhero movies for me. It isn't groundbreaking because the cast is black. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, ztejas said:

2nd this. Sorry. Can't do it. And I feel like I've slogged through shit way less interesting. 

Two I'm kind of embarrassed for not having seen yet, really just because I never feel like watching them:

American History X

Schindler's List

I'm still playing catch-up so I deserve a pass on a lot, but probably not on those two. 

Grave of the Fireflies is another one. Idk. There's just something about a movie that I assume and have every reason to believe is fantastic but that I know will be depressing. 

And I believe the way this works is you should give us your 3 @tantric superman

Oh yeah, @deadshank. I walked out of Black Panther halfway through. I'm sure it's a fine movie. Didn't feel like watching the rest of it. That was the straw on the camel's back for superhero movies for me. It isn't groundbreaking because the cast is black. 

Loved em both, Schindlers List is a hard film to watch, because it's just so disturbing, I know a lot of people who haven't seen it or don't want to.

I'm a sucker for movies about guys in prison, so American History X hits home.  Brubaker is my favorite along with the original Longest Yard and Papilion (which could go on my top 10 all time list)

1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Loved em both, Schindlers List is a hard film to watch, because it's just so disturbing, I know a lot of people who haven't seen it or don't want to.

I'm a sucker for movies about guys in prison, so American History X hits home.  Brubaker is my favorite along with the original Longest Yard and Papilion (which could go on my top 10 all time list)

speaking of which, i don't think i've seen shawshank redemption either.

• Fuck You 1

8 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

Wedding Crashers

Zoolander

Argo 

Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson aren't funny, and Argo was just about the most unremarkable movie i've ever seen. 

Oh they're funny they're just not funny to you. And yeah, Argo is not exactly riveting.

Edited by Onboard 2.0

If it’s been nominated for an Oscar, I probably have not watched it. I also have not seen the original Star Wars movies. Of the ones mentioned above I have only seen Wedding Crashers and Inglorius Bastards.  I have the attention span of a two year old and don’t watch many movies though.

1 minute ago, Continental Op said:

The Departed - This movie sucked and Scorsese getting an Oscar for this was a make up call for him getting fucked on his better stuff.  You can disagree with me as long as you don't mind being wrong. 

Tie: Django Unchained and Hateful Eight:  Two overlong exercises in self indulgence. 

Yep good descriptions

7 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

and i haven't seen any of the rocky movies.  i need to change that as well.

There is a bluray collection including Rocky I - Rocky V as well as Rocky Balboa that can be yours for the low price of $20 on Amazon.  I know this because I have also never seen a Rocky movie and ordered the collection last night after my nephews gave me crap for not having seen any of them. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Continental Op said:

There is a bluray collection including Rocky I - Rocky V as well as Rocky Balboa that can be yours for the low price of $20 on Amazon.  I know this because I have also never seen a Rocky movie and ordered the collection last night after my nephews gave me crap for not having seen any of them. 

damn, that's insane.  i'll have to do that.

1 hour ago, Goo Punch said:

Wedding Crashers

Zoolander

Argo 

Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson aren't funny, and Argo was just about the most unremarkable movie i've ever seen. 

Okay but Vince Vaughn in Wedding Crashers is one of the funniest performances ever. Plus Rachel McAdams. And Christopher Walken. 

13 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

i've never seen any of the star wars movies.  don't really have a desire to.

i haven't seen casablanca, though i want to and need to.

and i haven't seen any of the rocky movies.  i need to change that as well.

I'm amazed that you haven't seen any of the Star Wars films. I don't get how that is possible. I mean, I guess you need to watch the original trilogy? I don't know. If you had to pick just one, Empire Strikes Back is the best. 

Casablanca is phenomenal but B&W and 40s so I can understand why someone would have not seen it. 

I've only seen the first Rocky but thought it was great. 

14 minutes ago, Hot Chick said:

Out of that group see Lawrence of Arabia first. Then Casablanca. The other two you can skip.

Say wut ?  On the waterfront is iconic in American movie history.  Now you did say Avatar was a great film so that could explain a bit of this.

I've seen citizen Kane several times. I don't need to see it again for a long time though.

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Continental Op said:

The Departed - This movie sucked and Scorsese getting an Oscar for this was a make up call for him getting fucked on his better stuff.  You can disagree with me as long as you don't mind being wrong. 

Tie: Django Unchained and Hateful Eight:  Two overlong exercises in self indulgence. 

Departed is hilariously overrated, but I don't think it's a bad movie. I couldn't get through Hateful Eight the one time I tried to watch it. Just seemed like a dumb movie. 

I like Django but mostly for DiCaprio, Waltz, and all of the gunfights. Even in a movie about the 1850s South Tarantino still finds a way to overuse the N word to egregiousness. 

1 minute ago, Hot Chick said:

Hateful 8 had twists and turns. Reminded me a little of the movie Ravenous (A GREAT FILM!) in terms of tone & temperment.

Avatar was comical butterfly-war coloring book flower-planet neverending story blue man group CGI garbage.

On The Waterfront was fantastic and is what I say line by line to people at parties. Because it's autobiographical.

However, life is short. Watch Tango in Paris instead.

You coulda been a contendah' ?

On The Waterfront was fantastic and is what I say line by line to people at parties. Because it's autobiographical.
However, life is short. Watch Tango in Paris instead.

No. Do not listen to her.

I’ve seen almost everything I feel the need to see. I’ve never seen Chariots of Fire or Ghandi. At this point, I don’t think I ever will. I saw 2001 and hated every second of it. Except the monkeys. Because monkeys rule.
I’ve never seen a Gene Kelly movie. I’ve never seen most musicals, including Oklahoma! And I grew up there. Never saw Dr Zhivago. Never seen a Chaplin movie.

2 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

Inglorious Basterds

Such a weird movie. I've probably seen the first 45 minutes 100 times, but I think I've only seen the rest once. It just falls off a cliff of classic Tarantino-isms.

I generally dislike all Tarantino movies, but those first two scenes (especially the first) are some of the best stuff put to film.

Hateful Eight is not the kind of movie I was talking about.

I was talking about one that is recognized as great or important that you know -- intellectually -- is great but you've never got motivated to see it or saw it and don't like it for some reason.  Not talking about a movie that got middling reviews or is reviled as much as its liked. 

For me, I've always beaten myself up for not liking Hitchcock more, and I've seen Vertigo once on the big screen, and not that much interested in it when it comes on or I've tried to watch it again.  Not liking Kim Novak probably has something to do with it, and Jimmy Stewart is fine but not near my favorite lead.  Being that Vertigo is probably only second to Kane, makes me feel bad.

I have to agree with It's a Wonderful Life as well.  Probably only seen it all the way through one, and for some reason it depresses the hell out of me.  Can literally throw off my whole Christmas vibe.  I like to try to imitate Stewart when he is giving away money -- I like that scene -- but other than that, ugg.  Maybe I really don't like Jimmy Stewart all that much.

Once Upon a Time  in America gets some good critical reviews, but it just doesn't do it or me.  Just don't buy it.  Sergio Leone doesn't make it really high on my great directors list, but if I am going to watch him, I'll watch the westerns.

I can't think of any really good modern flicks that have left me completely cold.  There is a lot of pop movies shit that I don't like all that much but none of it I'd call "great" so doesn't really fit this.

54 minutes ago, Go Pokes said:

No. Do not listen to her.

I’ve seen almost everything I feel the need to see. I’ve never seen Chariots of Fire or Ghandi. At this point, I don’t think I ever will. I saw 2001 and hated every second of it. Except the monkeys. Because monkeys rule.
I’ve never seen a Gene Kelly movie. I’ve never seen most musicals, including Oklahoma! And I grew up there. Never saw Dr Zhivago. Never seen a Chaplin movie.

Rent Singing in the Rain.  Watch until he sings Singing in the Rain.  Done.

Chaplain - City Lights is a must if you are well rested.

2 hours ago, Hot Chick said:

Out of that group see Lawrence of Arabia first. Then Casablanca. The other two you can skip.

No one should skip On the Waterfront.  You stop what you're doing and you watch On the Waterfront.  One of the greatest mob/labor flicks ever.

• Like 2

Marlon Brando - Fantastic in On the Waterfront

Karl Malden - Fantastic in On the Waterfront

Eva Marie Saint - Fantastic in On the Waterfront

Lee J. Cobb - ditto

Rod Steiger - ditto

Just about every moment of this flick kills me.

Some people think the Crucifixion only took place on Calvary. They better wise up. Taking Joey Doyle’s life to stop him from testifying is a crucifixion. And droppin’ a sling on Kayo Dugan because he was ready to spill his guts tomorrow – that’s a crucifixion! And every time the mob puts the crusher on a good man, tries to stop him from doing his duty as a citizen – it’s a crucifixion. And anybody who sits around and lets it happen, keeps silent about something he knows has happened, shares the guilt of it just as much as the Roman soldier who pierced the flesh of Our Lord to see if He was dead. Boys, this is my church! And if you don’t think Christ is down here on the waterfront, you’ve got another guess coming! Every morning when the hiring boss blows his whistle, Jesus stands alongside you in the shape up. He sees why some of you get picked and some of you get passed over. He sees the family men worrying about gettin’ the rent and gettin’ food in the house for the wife and the kids. He sees you sellin’ your souls to the mob for a day’s pay and what does Christ think of the easy-money boys who do none of the work and take all of the gravy? And how does he feel about the fellows who wear a hundred and fifty dollar suits and diamond rings, on your union dues and your kickback money? And how does He, who spoke up without fear against every evil, feel about your silence?… You want to know what’s wrong with our waterfront? It’s the love of a lousy buck. It’s makin’ the love of the lousy buck, the cushy job, more important than the love of man! It’s forgettin’ that every fellow down here is your brother in Christ! But remember, Christ is always with you. Christ is in the shape up. He’s in the hatch. He’s in the union hall. He’s kneeling right here beside Dugan. And He’s sayin’ with all of you, if you do it to the least of mine, you do it to me! And what they did to Joey, and what they did to Dugan, they’re doin’ to you. And you. You. All of you! And only you, only you with God’s help, have the power to knock ’em out for good.

• Like 1

I never said On The Waterfront wasn't good/great, I meant skip it if you don't have time to watch all 4 of the movies mentioned.
In order:
Lawrence of Arabia
Casablancaca
On the Waterfront
North by Northwest.

An hour earlier you said skip it and watch Last Tango instead. Just sayin.

1 hour ago, formermav43 said:

I hated Goodfellas.

Please explain. I don't see how anyone could hate this movie. 

1 hour ago, Hot Chick said:

Lawrence of Arabia

Casablancaca

On the Waterfront

North by Northwest.

Btw : the first two = Star Wars (sorta).

The 2nd two = Goodfellas (sorta)

What in the absolute fuck does this even mean. 

• Haha 1

Last Tango got my attention when Brando said, "Get the butter," and I rather liked it.  I prefer it to 95% of films since Last Tango.

If your eyes are dry during Casablanca when the hooker-with-a-heart-of-gold sings out during "La Marseillaise," you may have reptilian DNA.

I drove 35 miles and paid ripoff prices for ticket, popcorn and a soft drink only to find myself nodding off during Spectre, the latest Bond film - a waste of the actors', producers' and my time and money.

This thread is so beautifully bizarro - name "best" movies we saw but didn't like <or> didn't see but were somehow "best"? - I am 16 again, staring at an SAT answer sheet as my #2 pencil snaps in two.  But it's stimulated some good movie posts so fuck it - good on the OP.