5 HPD Officers Shot

Lobwedgephil

9 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Which means she's not a good cop.

Exactly.

Imagine saying this: "I'm not a rapist.  But when I was in a room where my friends started violently raping a gal, I stood up, locked the door, and promised my friends I wouldn't say a word about what happened."  And then, you say, "so, clearly, I'm a good person."

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

The mayor had a press conference today. I was thinking it would be something about this case, but it was about laying off 400 firefighters. Should just lay off 400 pigs.

Yep.  Firefighters are true heroes, they save lives.

Cops are cowards.  I mean how many cowards does a city really need on its payroll?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

Sad but true. 

Now I'm going to give you one guess at the top revenue producing department for police forces across the nation.

Hint: it ain't homicide

Damned sure isn't speeding tickets, it's like the Indy 500 on their roads and highways.

9 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

Police = revenue production

Firemen = revenue drain

Case closed.

How many unarmed people have been shot by firefighters because they feared for their safety?

Edited by RPM

• 2 weeks later...

He shows one of several billboard leased by the HPOU asking to "Support the HPD 5" aka, the 5 officers injured in the botched Pecan Park raid.

Refers to some eyewitness testimony from the day of the shooting.  Supposedly Mr. Tuttle lay screaming for help for 10 minutes after the shooting, asking for help and screaming for his wife.  Supposedly at least one uniformed officer asked about going in to render aid, but was told by another to "let the m***** f***** die."  Cops waited 2 hours while a robot was sent in to clear the house, a house that had been under surveillance for 24 hours prior to the raid.  They knew there were no other people there and used the robot as justification for their delay which allowed the homeowners to die without medical attention.  Re-iterated the claim that after the delay, a SWAT officer fired 1-3 shots into Mr. Tuttle from the kitchen window to ensure he was dead.

Autopsy reports haven't been produced yet.  Their results should tell us a lot about what happened.

Supposedly at least one officer outside the home had a Go-Pro camera on.  If recording (which it should have been after shots were fired), it should have captured the cries for help from Mr. Tuttle.  Cops have denied such video footage exists.

Briefly alluded to his own legal troubles as though they are a result of him pressing the issue, but didn't address anything specifically.

Edited by hopkinsnhorns
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Why do people think that we want to listen to a 10 minute video.  Highlights?  Just type it out a summary, dude - put it under your video and whatnot.

I watched 5 minutes...he shows a bilboard the police union took out trying to drum up support for the 5 injured cops.

also says eyewitnesses say Mr. Tuttle could be heard screaming for help for 10 or so minutes, and that the uniformed officers had body cams on and another cop had a GoPro and he suspects the footage is being squashed because Tuttle would be audible on the footage  

5 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Why do people think that we want to listen to a 10 minute video.  Highlights?  Just type it out a summary, dude - put it under your video and whatnot.

It's just like How To/DYI vids.  They drone on forever before getting to the nuts and bolts.

Drives my fucking crazy.

Go love the sound of your own voice somewhere else, I'm just trying to find out where the Fetzer valve is you fuck!

• Like 1

It's just like How To/DYI vids.  They drone on forever before getting to the nuts and bolts.
Drives my fucking crazy.
Go love the sound of your own voice somewhere else, I'm just trying to find out where the Fetzer valve is you fuck!

Fetzer valve? You dumbfuck. It’s all ball bearings these days.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
Drives my fucking crazy.

Online recipes are just as bad...I don’t need your life story before telling me how to put together your meal.
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Homercles said:

Online recipes are just as bad...I don’t need your life story before telling me how to put together your meal.

Sorry for the neg.  Fingers are too fat

Edited by Cajun

New video from the neighbors across the street after the raid. Out of nowhere two shots ring out. The old double tap coup de grace. 

https://www.click2houston.com/news/investigates/new-videos-show-tense-moments-following-deadly-botched-raid

This corroborates what NewsNowHouston was reporting early on about kill shots to Tuttle to ensure he was dead. I wonder whose idea it was to pretend as if there was another hostile in the home as an excuse to not send in paramedics to render aid... bear in mind, they had been surveilling the home for 24 hours before the raid and hadn’t seen any evidence of a 3rd occupant going in or coming out of the home in that time.

9 hours ago, Lat22 said:

New video from the neighbors across the street after the raid. Out of nowhere two shots ring out. The old double tap coup de grace. 

https://www.click2houston.com/news/investigates/new-videos-show-tense-moments-following-deadly-botched-raid

From the comments:

think back to the number of times the African American, Latino and other minority communities tried to tell us about HPD and I ignored their rhetoric, convinced HPD was pure as the driven snow. Even after the shooting death of a wheelchair bound paraplegic I made excuses for them. It is painful to admit I was dead wrong, and they often right. 

Wait...wut?

9 hours ago, Lat22 said:

No doubt that was a coup de grace double tap.

Straight up premeditated murder.

Death penalty.

12 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Comedy = tragedy + time, I guess, because that is so fucked up I laughed the whole time reading it.  His partner got "cornered" by a double amputee in a wheelchair?  Did you not try . . . stepping sideways?  You are the worst cop ever.  Then the other cop shot the double amputee because he was waving a pen?  You are the worst cop ever.

19 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

Comedy = tragedy + time, I guess, because that is so fucked up I laughed the whole time reading it.  His partner got "cornered" by a double amputee in a wheelchair?  Did you not try . . . stepping sideways?  You are the worst cop ever.  Then the other cop shot the double amputee because he was waving a pen?  You are the worst cop ever.

Yeah, we gimps are the baddest, most dangerous mofos on the planet....well, others are, I'm just a big teddy bear.

so....i just watched that video with the double tap.

that's a fucking execution, and the cops playing the waiting game outside pretending that there is a third party inside? that's ensuring those inside expire.

this is dirty as fuck. the cops targeted these people for some reason or another. they were going to run them in on trumped up charges, or they actually wanted to execute these people for some reason.

i'm nauseous.

• Like 2

Art has said theres more to this, that everyone should wait for all the evidence to come out, because there are things Joe Public doesnt know. The first bit was the 311 call a concerned mother made about her daughter doing drugs in the house.

We're waiting Art, was this another piece we didnt know about? The double tap?

On 4/3/2019 at 11:37 AM, Dewey said:

Art has said theres more to this, that everyone should wait for all the evidence to come out, because there are things Joe Public doesnt know. The first bit was the 311 call a concerned mother made about her daughter doing drugs in the house.

We're waiting Art, was this another piece we didnt know about? The double tap?

This is the mother of Rhogena Nicholas.  I'd be highly surprised if she made a call to the HPD about fears of her daughter being a drug addict based on her accounts of her relationship and communications with her daughter as recent as the morning of the deadly raid.
https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/I-want-them-to-clear-her-name-Mother-of-13705640.php

gallery_xlarge.jpg

Spoiler

NATCHITOCHES, LA. — It was a chilly afternoon with bad weather in the forecast when Rhogena Nicholas called her mother for the last time.

The two hadn’t seen each other for more than a year. Jo Ann Nicholas was in her 80s and couldn’t make the drive from Louisiana to Houston anymore. But they talked all the time, and every morning, Rhogena sent her mother a prayer.

Jan. 28 was no different.

“Thank you for a new day and week ahead that is full of promise and possibilities,” Rhogena wrote in a text just before 8 a.m.

As the day wore on, with forecasters calling for sleet in Natchitoches in central Louisiana, Rhogena phoned to make sure her mother didn’t venture out to the nearby Walmart to stock up for the bad weather. They said their I love yous, then Rhogena hung up.

On HoustonChronicle.com: Houston police officer in drug raid had previous allegations against him

Less than an hour later, police burst through the front door of her Pecan Park home, setting off a gun battle that killed Rhogena and her 59-year-old husband, Navy veteran Dennis Tuttle.

Authorities said they’d been looking for a pair of heroin dealers, but the botched raid netted few drugs and lots of questions, and has blossomed into the biggest scandal to hit the Houston Police Department in decades.

Weeks later, it’s still not clear who shot who or whether the confidential informant used to justify the raid even exists. Amid allegations of police misconduct, the FBI, Houston police and the Harris County District Attorney’s Office launched probes of the raid, the warrant and the case agent behind the failed operation.

This week, in an interview with the Houston Chronicle, Rhogena’s mother told her slain daughter’s story, voicing questions publicly for the first time. She wants answers to all the unknowns, and for the department who vilified the slain couple to make things right. Both families are adamant the couple was not dealing heroin.

“I want them to clear her name,” she said.

‘They got along good and everything’

The daughter of a Lebanese dentist and a Southern housewife, Rhogena was born in Ackerman, Mississippi in 1960. The small town offered enough work to keep the family going, but two years later her father landed a job someplace bigger: the city of Macon, 40 miles away.

There, he and his wife set down roots and raised a family.

Popular and dark-haired, Rhogena made plenty of friends in her years at Central Academy, the local private high school. She didn’t want to be a cheerleader and wouldn’t touch a musical instrument, but she still joined the band as a majorette. She had a boyfriend and a social life, but still brought home good grades.

On HoustonChronicle.com: Harris County DA to review 1,400 cases that embattled narcotics officer Gerald Goines worked on

After graduation, Rhogena headed to Atlanta to study merchandising at Bauder College, a fashion and etiquette school. In the meantime, her parents moved to Florida and their only daughter joined them there after college. When they moved to Shreveport a few years later, Rhogena followed, taking a job at the local motel and rekindling a relationship with Wayne Osborn, a man she’d met in Fort Walton Beach. The young couple grew their romance long-distance. In the late 1980s, she moved in with him in Houston.

She worked at Shell, and at Budweiser, and kept in close contact with her family, driving north to visit every couple of months.

Over time, she drifted away from the man who drew her to the Bayou City in the first place.

“She wasn’t a person to be controlled,” Jo Ann said. “She didn’t want anybody telling her what to do.”

Instead, Rhogena found Tuttle. Decades later, Jo Ann doesn’t remember exactly how they met, but said the two fell in love and married in the late 1990s in a simple courthouse wedding.

“He was good to her, they got along good and everything,” she said, shrugging. “His mom loved her to death.”

John Nicholas, Rhogena’s brother, remembered Tuttle as a quiet, easygoing man and a skilled machinist, but who was prone to seizures because of an accident during his time in the service.

By the time of the raid, he couldn’t work anymore, and rarely left the house.

Instead, Rhogena took care of him - just as she also took care of her ex. Osborn, who lived about 15 miles away in northwest Houston, paid Rhogena to help him manage his affairs. He didn’t drive, but let Rhogena borrow his blue Mercury sedan.

Nearly two months later, the car still sits where Rhogena parked it in the driveway of her home at 7815 Harding

A blur of details

The morning after the raid, Jo Ann was still in bed, watching the news, when she heard a knock at the door.

It was 5:30 a.m., and she hadn’t yet made coffee. She padded down the hallway of her neatly decorated single-story home, and found a police officer at the door, asking to come in.

“You better sit down,” the officer said, guiding her to a tan recliner in the living room. “I’ve got this number to call in Houston.”

On HoustonChronicle.com: 2nd drug case involving embattled Officer Gerald Goines dismissed in the 'interest of justice'

Her hands began to shake.

“What happened to my daughter?” she asked.

The officer didn’t know, but the Harris County medical examiner had answers. Numbly, Jo Ann took in the news: There’d been some sort of shoot-out, an exchange of fire with police. Rhogena and her husband were dead and it wasn’t clear what had happened.

Everything blurred, as the elderly widow’s life turned into a torrent of phone calls and cards, punctuated by moments of quiet grief.

“I sit here,” she said. “I stare into space.”

‘She respected the police’

Two months later, the Nicholas family doesn’t talk much about the raid. But they have questions and many doubts.

They roll the details over in their minds.

Police burst in the front door, toting weapons and a no-knock warrant. Tuttle, armed with a .357-revolver, rushed to the noise and started shooting.

One of the wounded narcotics officers collapsed on the couch, and Rhogena allegedly reached for his weapon. In the ensuing struggle, she was shot twice and five officers were injured. Though police said they suspected the couple was selling heroin, officers found only 18 grams of marijuana and a little over a gram of cocaine.

To John and Jo Ann, the idea that Tuttle could have shot five officers with a revolver doesn’t make sense - nor the thought Rhogena tried to wrangle away an officer’s weapon.

“They said she wrassled with the police — she wasn’t big enough to wrassle with the police,” Jo Ann said. “If they would have told her, ‘Police, open the door,’ she would have done it. She respected the police.”

On HoustonChronicle.com: Houston shootout: New details emerge as three officers remain hospitalized

Even more concerning, they say, is police insistence that Rhogena and her husband were selling drugs. Jo Ann said she stayed in close contact with her daughter; she’s sure she would have noticed something amiss.

On Tuesday, lawyers for the Nicholas family sent a letter to Houston police requesting a “correction of public statements.”

“You and other members of your department have made factually incorrect, but globally disseminated, statements about Rhogena Nicholas and her husband, Dennis Tuttle, from the date of their deaths and going forward,” attorney Michael Doyle wrote. “These statements have not been publicly corrected or retracted to date.”

In the coming weeks, he plans to file a motion to investigate - a move that would allow the court to give him the right to depose witnesses and ask for more evidence in the lead-up to a possible lawsuit.

“I’m upset just like everybody else, but maybe they’ll wake up and say, ‘We messed up and we need to change our ways of doing things,’” John said. “Clear her name. And hopefully, it won’t happen again.”

Pearls and ashes

In the aftermath of the shooting, Jo Ann decided not to have a funeral for her only daughter.

Weeks later, a package arrived in the mail — with Rhogena’s watch, a pair of pearl earrings and a crucifix necklace. The necklace now sits on her mother’s dining room table. Her ashes are in the bedroom, still in the box from the crematorium.

Every day, Jo Ann misses her daughter’s voice, the ping of her morning texts. At night, she has trouble sleeping.

“I wake up to her calling ‘Momma.’”

keri.blakinger@chron.com

st.john.smith@chron.com

I have a feeling like there may have been a real welfare concern call to 311 about a daughter's drug use, but I'm guessing either the operator misheard the caller or the caller misspoke.  I'm beginning to think that the confusion of Harding vs. Hardy Streets set in motion succession of mistakes that led to this deadly raid.  Goines and Co. took the limited info they had at face value, faked a buy to establish PC for a warrant, then got shot up before they could plant the drugs to justify their raid when it was obvious that they had the wrong house.

Edited by hopkinsnhorns
copied in text
  • Like 1

I don't think we have to make the leap to malice or pre-meditation on the part of Goines and Co.  I think this is a case of lazy detectives not doing the appropriate legwork to justify their use of force, then deciding to eliminate the witnesses after it was apparent that their mistake was going to burn them and their department.  They were definitely prepared to plant drugs, if needed, to make their raid a "success", but they weren't prepared to be met with live fire from an armed homeowner.  The fact that a situation like this could ever exist shows that that whole Narcotics division is rife with corruption through and through if it could allow such tactics to exist in the first place.  This is the deadly tip of the iceberg for Goines and the rest of that department.

Edited by hopkinsnhorns

22 minutes ago, hopkinsnhorns said:

This is the mother of Rhogena Nicholas.  I'd be highly surprised if she made a call to the HPD about fears of her daughter being a drug addict based on her accounts of her relationship and communications with her daughter as recent as the morning of the deadly raid.
https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/I-want-them-to-clear-her-name-Mother-of-13705640.php

On Tuesday, lawyers for the Nicholas family sent a letter to Houston police requesting a “correction of public statements.”

“You and other members of your department have made factually incorrect, but globally disseminated, statements about Rhogena Nicholas and her husband, Dennis Tuttle, from the date of their deaths and going forward,” attorney Michael Doyle wrote. “These statements have not been publicly corrected or retracted to date.”

The way Acevedo and other HPD mouthpieces have slandered this couple is really the icing on the cake for me.

• Like 1

Not that I'm aware of.  I believe in his early video, NewsNowHouston was looking at the bullet holes in the home and nearly all were consistent w/ 7.62 rounds (i.e. AR-15 style rifles) as entry or exit holes, but there were a couple or more exit holes w/ a larger diameter, which would be right for the revolver Tuttle was carrying.  I doubt he was responsible for all of the injuries sustained by officers because his revolver only held 5 or 6 rounds max.