5 HPD Officers Shot

Lobwedgephil

4 hours ago, Lat22 said:

Just show me one shell casing from something other than a police AR.

This.

Show me a shell casing from another weapon (like, you know, one owned by the Tuttles).  Show me recent GSR on one of their weapons.  Show me GSR on the hands of the Tuttles.  There's going to be literally ZERO evidence they fired their weapons....other than the testimony of the cops....who are already conclusively shown to have lied about the entire raid.

This was a hit.  Multiple cops need to go to prison forever.

On 8/29/2019 at 6:24 PM, SHOOTER12 said:

No, no should have included more detail.

My truck was broken into 7/8/2012 and my 1911 was stolen.  A little over a year later it was recovered during an arrest.  HPD told me once it was clear from being involved in a crime I could get it back.  Several months later an HPD officer called and gave me a claim/case number and the phone number to call to arrange for pick up.  So I called, idiots at the property room claimed they knew nothing about it, no case number matched etc etc.  I chased it down for a year and finally said to hell with it.

It was an awesome Springfield 1911 that 10-Ring Precision had done some great work on it.  I know one of those bastards saw what a nice pistol it was and decided to keep it.

You do know that's by design, right?

Efficient as hell taking stuff that ain't theirs.  The epitome of inefficiency giving it back to the rightful owner.  Just like they designed it.

I've gone through the exact same scenario.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

This.

Show me a shell casing from another weapon (like, you know, one owned by the Tuttles).  Show me recent GSR on one of their weapons.  Show me GSR on the hands of the Tuttles.  There's going to be literally ZERO evidence they fired their weapons....other than the testimony of the cops....who are already conclusively shown to have lied about the entire raid.

This was a hit.  Multiple cops need to go to prison forever.

Agreed. Completely.

Can't spell Art without AR baby!

• 2 weeks later...

We all knew this was bad, I wonder what the victims did to draw the anger of HPD? I feel like HPD believed 100% that they were drug dealers but couldn't prove it. Instead of letting things be, they pulled this. And yes, most likely not the first time. Cant wait for angry Art to address or dress down the media. 

28 minutes ago, Dewey said:

We all knew this was bad, I wonder what the victims did to draw the anger of HPD? I feel like HPD believed 100% that they were drug dealers but couldn't prove it. Instead of letting things be, they pulled this. And yes, most likely not the first time. Cant wait for angry Art to address or dress down the media. 

It probably did involve drugs, but more likely they tried to stiff the HPD in a drug deal

44 minutes ago, Dewey said:

Dress down the media?

He had better get  off his high horse and start attempting to rally support.

He gonna need it...

23 minutes ago, Iceman said:

Dress down the media?

He had better get  off his high horse and start attempting to rally support.

He gonna need it...

His last PC was basically "you cant understand it", called out Mario Diaz by name, went on and on how it was unfair to HPD.  Could not explain how this was only a few bad cops. 

By rally support means throw up roadblocks everywhere. 

15 minutes ago, thestud said:

So HPD is proposing that this Patricia Garcia did this on her own? That Goines nor any other HPD clown put her up to it? Hmm better put on your rubber boots boys, here comes the bullshit.

Indicting her may also be a way to put the squeeze on her and get her to talk more openly about her knowledge of the criminal conspiracy that led to the raid in the first place.

https://reason.com/2019/11/20/federal-indictment-says-deadly-houston-drug-raid-was-based-on-lies-from-start-to-finish/

Today the Justice Department announced that three people have been indicted on federal charges because of their roles in a fraudulent no-knock drug raid that killed a middle-aged Houston couple on January 28. The indictment alleges not only that Gerald Goines, the narcotics officer who spearheaded the operation, lied in his search warrant affidavit, but that Patricia Ann Garcia, whose 911 calls prompted Goines' investigation, lied when she implicated Dennis Tuttle and Rhogena Nicholas in drug dealing.

The upshot is that the basis for the raid was a lie from start to finish. That realization contradicts Houston Police Chief Art Acevedo's insistence that there were sound reasons, apart from Goines' prevarications, to think Tuttle and Nicholas were selling heroin.

Goines, who already faced state murder charges in connection with the raid that killed Tuttle and Nicholas, has been charged with violating their Fourth Amendment rights under color of law. The Justice Department says "Goines faces up to life in prison" if convicted of those charges, although the statute also allows the death penalty for violations with lethal consequences.

Goines, who retired in March after 34 years with the Houston Police Department, claimed in his affidavit that a confidential informant had purchased heroin from a middle-aged "white male, whose name is unknown," at the house on Harding Street that Tuttle and Nicholas shared. But the raid, which was executed the day after that purported sale, discovered no heroin and no evidence of drug dealing. Soon afterward Houston police investigators concluded that the confidential informant described by Goines did not exist. Goines then changed his story, claiming he had bought the heroin himself. According to the federal indictment, that was also a lie.

The Justice Department says Goines "made numerous materially false statements in the state search warrant" and afterward repeatedly lied about the circumstances of the raid. In addition to the civil rights charges, Goines is accused of falsifying records and obstructing an official proceeding.

The indictment also charges Steven Bryant, a Houston narcotics officer who helped back up Goines' story, with obstructing justice by falsifying records. Bryant, who supposedly identified the "brown powder substance" that the nonexistent informant never bought as black-tar heroin, already faced a state charge of tampering with a governmental record. The federal charge carries a maximum penalty of 20 years in prison.

The biggest revelation in the indictment is that the January 8 report about drug activity at the Harding Street house was completely false. Yet Houston Police Chief Art Acevedo has repeatedly cited that report as evidence that his department right to investigate Tuttle and Nicholas.

According Acevedo, a woman called police on January 8 to complain that her daughter was "doing heroin" inside the house. At a press conference three days after the raid, Acevedo described the call this way: "The caller wanted to remain anonymous but said that her daughter was inside the residence 'doing drugs, and they have a lot of guns in the residence.' She stated there was also a female in the house." The woman said she had looked through a window, and she saw that "her daughter was in the house, and there were guns and heroin."

When two patrol officers arrived in response to that call, the woman was nowhere to be found. According to Acevedo, they questioned a passer-by and afterward heard her say into her cellphone, "Hey, the police are at the dope house." When the officers called the woman who had made the report, Acevedo said, "She stated she did not want to give any information because they were drug dealers and they would kill her. She wanted the officers to go into the house and get her daughter." The officers explained that they had no authority to enter the house.

The federal indictment says the caller, which it identifies as Garcia, made all of that up. Garcia is charged with "convey[ing] false information by making several fake 911 calls," an offense punishable by up to five years in prison.

Acevedo said Garcia's calls showed there was legitimate basis for the investigation that led to the Harding Street raid. He called the home a "problem location" and a locally notorious "drug house." He even claimed that people who lived nearby had thanked police for raiding the house. Yet neighbors interviewed by local news outlets described Tuttle and Nicholas, who had lived on Harding Street for two decades, as perfectly nice and said they had never seen any signs of criminal activity.

Even after Goines' lies were revealed, Acevedo insisted that police "had probable cause to be there," relying on Garcia's false report. "I still think they're heroes," Acevedo said of the officers who killed Tuttle and Nicholas after breaking into their home without warning based on a fraudulent search warrant stemming from a false report. If the lack of oversight that allowed this disastrous operation to unfold were not reason enough to demand Acevedo's resignation, his dogged defense of the investigation and his casual defamation of Tuttle and Nicholas would be.

Edited by Viper

Love how this exposes how they all cover for each other, even down to the 911 operator. 

Goines easily deserves life for this, but we all know that ain't happening.

And this -

"I still think they're heroes," Acevedo said of the officers who killed Tuttle and Nicholas after breaking into their home without warning based on a fraudulent search warrant stemming from a false report. 

He should flat out be hung by the neck and disemboweled in the town square for that.  

No place on this planet for a virus like Art.

• Like 6

Media is speculating that Garcia made the calls because she was jealous that Rhogena Nicholas was romantically interested in her BF, Mr. Arce, who lived across the street from the Tuttles.  Garcia lived 5 houses down from them with her mother.  Apparently the Arce's and Tuttles were fairly close family friends.  Mrs. Arce died 2 years ago from cancer and was a close friend of Rhogena.

Even if this is true and all of the allegations that led to the raid were fabricated by this Garcia nutcase, it's still inexcusable for Goines and Co. to not do the leg work necessary to verify those claims before busting in their door and murdering them in cold blood.  There is a chance that there is a deeper conspiracy here that would tie Garcia to Goines, but at this point, but honestly, I think laziness and a sense of being above the law is all that is needed to explain their reckless actions.

43 minutes ago, hopkinsnhorns said:

Media is speculating that Garcia made the calls because she was jealous that Rhogena Nicholas was romantically interested in her BF, Mr. Arce, who lived across the street from the Tuttles.  Garcia lived 5 houses down from them with her mother.  Apparently the Arce's and Tuttles were fairly close family friends.  Mrs. Arce died 2 years ago from cancer and was a close friend of Rhogena.

Even if this is true and all of the allegations that led to the raid were fabricated by this Garcia nutcase, it's still inexcusable for Goines and Co. to not do the leg work necessary to verify those claims before busting in their door and murdering them in cold blood.  There is a chance that there is a deeper conspiracy here that would tie Garcia to Goines, but at this point, but honestly, I think laziness and a sense of being above the law is all that is needed to explain their reckless actions.

Kinda sounds that way. I just jumped to the conclusion that Goines had a reason to want to bust the couple and used Garcia as a means to an end. Now it sounds more like he did use her, just not for the same reasons. I guess if you're not getting enough recognition on the job you have to create a situation where you will get some.

Even more reason this still needs to be fully investigated. It's one thing if the cop had a hard-on for them

It's another if this was just some crazy citizen starting this. If this is the case, then hpd needs to have their controls checked. Pretty scary that a bogus call can lead up to that assault so easily.

24 minutes ago, Updawg said:

Even more reason this still needs to be fully investigated. It's one thing if the cop had a hard-on for them

It's another if this was just some crazy citizen starting this. If this is the case, then hpd needs to have their controls checked. Pretty scary that a bogus call can lead up to that assault so easily.

Bogus calls.  I think it stated that she had made 5 separate 911 calls regarding the Tuttle's Harding St home - making claims that they were drug addicts, selling heroin out of the house, had lots of firearms, machine gun, etc.  I believe that the caller claimed her daughter was also a junkie in the home (which would echo the initial claims Acevedo made about the welfare call, which were wrongfully attributed by HPD to Rhogena's mother).  Still, your point stands.  Simple calls to 911 do not justify this sort of response without real attempts to justify the claims of the caller.

This is basically a dumb boomer equivalent of SWATing someone, but HPD needs to be held more accountable for their actions.

Edited by hopkinsnhorns

3 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

This is going to end very badly 

well it started out with tragic loss of life.   There had better be one hell of a payoff for the general public.

I mean... our confidence in Houston Law Enforcement is in jeopardy, right?

This is going to end very badly 

...for a select few stooges. Nothing is really going to change in the long run. Art sure as hell won’t be changing anything. I think he mentioned something about changing up the no-knock policy, but that’s just until this blows over and announces that the new process is hindering good police work. Business is definitely going to be back to usual in the not too distant future.

The former Houston police officer at the center of a flawed drug raid that claimed the lives of two homeowners pleaded not guilty Friday at a Houston federal courtroom to allegations he violated the slain couple’s civil rights and repeatedly lied to obtain the search warrant.

Former narcotics officer Gerald Goines walked shackled and wearing an olive green jail jumpsuit into a crowded downtown courtroom filled with many of his supporters, including his wife, Tiffany Goines, and Elyse Lanier, the wife of former Houston Mayor Bob Lanier.

FBI agents arrested Goines, 55, as well as his 45-year-old former partner, Steven Bryant, at their homes Wednesday. Authorities also arrested Patricia Ann Garcia, who is accused of fabricating details in a 911 call that prompted the fatal Jan. 28 raid that claimed the lives of her neighbors, Rhogena Nicholas and Dennis Tuttle.

In court on Friday, federal prosecutors quizzed an FBI agent about the events leading up to the fatal raid, revealing a slew of serious new allegations against Goines.

Investigators discovered a stolen gun in Goines' car, along with various illegal drugs. The  agent also said Goines' confidential informants denied buying drugs from 7815 Harding, where the botched raid happened. The drugs Goines said he had purchased from the Harding Street home were actually bought at another address, a confidential informant alleged. The informant also told investigators she and Goines had been having sex for years.

Goines was indicted on seven charges earlier this week, including allegations he fabricated an informant and lied on a search warrant affidavit, an offense report and the tactical plan made in preparation for the bust that turned into a gun battle that ended with the deaths of Nicholas and Tuttle and with five HPD officers injured.

Bryant is facing one count of falsifying records when he allegedly lied on an offense report. He claimed he’d helped Goines with a heroin buy at the Harding Street home — a purchase authorities say never really happened. The fabricated drug deal was part of the justification for the raid, which only turned up user-level amounts of marijuana and cocaine.

After Wednesday’s arrests, Bryant was released from federal custody after posting $50,000 bail. Garcia was released Thursday afternoon. Authorities had ordered Goines to remain in federal custody, however, after prosecutors argued he was a flight risk.

ADVERTISEMENT
The unsealed indictment follows state charges against both officers. Goines was charged with two counts of felony murder, and Bryant was charged with tampering with a government document.

Lanier said Goines had worked as security for her, and described her former bodyguard as a man of integrity and decency.

“He’s a gentle giant,” she said.

On HoustonChronicle.com: FBI arrest 2 police officers, 911 caller linked to deadly Harding Street drug raid

Goines, Bryant and other Houston narcotics officers burst into the house at 7815 Harding St. looking for heroin on Jan. 28. They’d zeroed in on that address after a tip from a worried mother — now identified as Garcia — alerted them to alleged drug activity there. To justify raiding the place, Goines allegedly fabricated an informant who he claimed bought heroin there on Jan. 27. After Goines signed an affidavit laying out the supposed drug purchase and illegal activity, police got permission for a no-knock raid.

As soon as the narcotics squad burst in the front door a day later, the bust erupted into gunfire. Four officers were shot, including Goines. One officer remains paralyzed from the waist down.

In the days that followed, an internal investigation sparked questions about the officers’ justification for the search warrant, and police quickly realized they could not find the informant Goines said made the buy.

Early on, the FBI launched its civil rights investigation, and the Harris County district attorney dismissed dozens of the officers’ active cases and announced prosecutors were reviewing more than 14,000 cases previously handled by GoinesBryant and the rest of their squad. Meanwhile, attorneys for the families of the slain couple hired an independent forensics team to review the scene. They suggested that Tuttle may have been on the floor when he was shot and raised questions about whether he ever fired at police.

st.john.smith@chron.com

https://m.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Gerald-Goines-the-Houston-police-officer-at-14855285.php

Edited by Auto Driller

It really sounds more like these losers just like showing their buddy cops what awesome cops they are and don't really care about the people they are supposed to be protecting and serving. If some folks get framed for one thing it's ok because they probably did some ther bad stuff and deserve it. The 911 calls just gave them an excuse to set up another raid so they could prove how awesome they are.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...