5 HPD Officers Shot

Lobwedgephil

48 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I never got one, so is it a city limits thing? I live and work in the Houston area but outside of the city limits (both home and office) and have a 512 cell phone.

I mean I'm not complaining, of course, just curious.

yeah, i got two here in austin on my 512 number. one from harris county sheriff's department, and another redundant one from dps

1 minute ago, PilotsError said:

it didn't stop it for me.  i do still have severe and extreme selected, so i just turned those off and we'll see if that stops them.  have gotten multiple this afternoon.

I turned off all alerts a long time ago.  Fuck Amber, fuck the police, fuck your grandma wandering off in her Buick, fuck your flash flood warning.  Fuck all of you.

source.gif

Who's next?

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

I always enjoy when I get an Amber Alert for some bullshit in Monahans or some shit. 

Ooooh yeah, I'll keep a look out for that 1988 Chevy pickup. I am sure they will be rolling through Fort Worth any minute now.

While you're at it, you may as well alert me to what's going on in Topeka. 

I turned off all alerts.  No blue alert yesterday.   936 area code.

Hell, we even have an emergency check in number for work and I blocked that motherfucker.  They ping us twice a year to check it and I reply to the emails asking for confirmation.  If I'm fucking dead, I won't respond, bitches.

13 hours ago, Lat22 said:

After two days on the run, they finally caught the thug who killed the Nassau Bay cop.

Some fucking judge just set his bail at $150,000.

Chin up little camper...

Bond revoked for man accused of killing Nassau Bay sergeant

https://www.fox26houston.com/news/bond-revoked-for-man-accused-of-killing-nassau-bay-sergeant?fbclid=IwAR1fuY9sGdoQYOIEC1S3G_5ciu__gFiWkAn_reBp7cHJK-LPGrT7oKQDuHQ

This punkass bitch who murdered the Nassau Bay cop, Tavores Henderson, aka rappah “Killah Dre”, is 5’7” and weighs 130#.  He’s going to get his shit pushed in, I mean BIG TIME, in the joint.
Yeah, the rest of his life is going to be very very bad. He should have offd himself. Fuck him

2 hours ago, Heisenberg said:

This punkass bitch who murdered the Nassau Bay cop, Tavores Henderson, aka rappah “Killah Dre”, is 5’7” and weighs 130#.  He’s going to get his shit pushed in, I mean BIG TIME, in the joint.

For killing a cop? I figured that would earn him a ton of cred in the joint

• 1 month later...

At a Friday afternoon news conference at HPD headquarters, a defiant Chief Art Acevedo admitted Goines and Bryant had “dishonored” the badge and the department, but defended the other officers on Squad 15, who he said had acted in “good faith” before being shot.

“Mr. Tuttle shot at them,” he said. “Nothing in the evidence shows he did not shoot these officers.”

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Former-HPD-officer-charged-with-murder-in-botched-14373874.php

CURRENTLY READING

Former HPD officer charged with murder in botched raid at Harding Street house

SUBSCRIBE

Sign In

HOME

TEXAS SPORTS NATION

BUSINESS

LOCAL

WEATHER

A&E

POLITICS

RENEW HOUSTON

OPINION

FLAVOR

LIFESTYLE

PODCASTS

NEWSLETTERS

LOCAL // HOUSTON

Former HPD officer charged with murder in botched raid at Harding Street house

St. John Barned-Smith and Keri Blakinger Aug. 23, 2019 Updated: Aug. 26, 2019 6:55 p.m.

Comments

1of18Former HPD officer Gerald Goines in court before turning himself in, August 23, 2019, in Houston. He was involved in the botched drug raid.Photo: Karen Warren/Houston Chronicle

2of18Ex-case agent Gerald Goines on Friday was hit with two counts of felony murder and is still under investigation over claims he stole guns, drugs and money, Harris County District Attorney Kim Ogg announced.Photo: Karen Warren/Houston Chronicle

3of18A photo composite of Dennis Tuttle and Rhogena Nicholas released Jan. 29, 2019 by Houston Police. Tuttle and Nicholas were killed in a drug raid during which HPD officers were injured by gunfire on Jan. 28, 2019.Photo: HPD/File photo

A former Houston Police Department narcotics officer has been charged with murder, nearly seven months after a botched drug raid left a couple dead and unleashed a sprawling police scandal.

Ex-case agent Gerald Goines on Friday was charged with two counts of felony murder in the Jan. 28 deaths of Dennis Tuttle and Rhogena Nicholas and is still under investigation over claims he stole guns, drugs and money, Harris County District Attorney Kim Ogg announced at a news conference downtown. His partner, Steven Bryant, was charged with one count of tampering with a government record, a state felony.

“We have not seen a case like this in Houston,” Ogg said. “I have not seen a case like this in my 30-plus years of practicing law.”

Unlimited Digital Access for as little as 95¢

Read more articles like this by subscribing to the Houston Chronicle

SUBSCRIBE

Ogg said that as investigators probed the case, they determined that Goines first lied about using a confidential informant to buy heroin; then claimed to have bought the drugs himself; then lied about who identified the drugs; and finally admitted that he couldn’t determine whether Tuttle was the same person from whom he allegedly purchased the drugs.

Ogg also said that after the shooting, Bryant lied in an offense report about helping Goines with the investigation and falsely claimed that they’d recovered a plastic bag that contained a white napkin and two small packets of heroin.

Because the deaths occurred in the course of another alleged felony — tampering with a government record — Goines was charged with felony murder.

Unlike a regular murder charge, felony murder doesn’t require showing that the defendant intended to kill. Instead, prosecutors just have to show that, while committing another felony, the defendant committed an act clearly dangerous to human life — in this case, the execution of a no-knock warrant — and that it resulted in a death.

The two former officers both turned themselves in Friday in court, where a judge set Goines’ bond at $300,000 and Bryant’s at $50,000. Aside from the arrests, prosecutors said they are conducting a broader investigation into the squad and a review of more than 14,000 cases.

Relatives and attorneys for the slain couple welcomed news of the charges.

“We see these indictments as an important first step in our pursuit of justice,” said John Nicholas, whose sister was killed in the raid, “but this investigation must continue, so we can learn what went wrong at the Houston Police Department to allow this tragedy to happen.”

At a Friday afternoon news conference at HPD headquarters, a defiant Chief Art Acevedo admitted Goines and Bryant had “dishonored” the badge and the department, but defended the other officers on Squad 15, who he said had acted in “good faith” before being shot.

“Mr. Tuttle shot at them,” he said. “Nothing in the evidence shows he did not shoot these officers.”

Though police only gave full records to Ogg’s office under threat of subpoenas, Acevedo still touted Friday’s charges as proof that his department could investigate itself.

Nicole DeBorde — the defense attorney representing Goines — questioned the allegations against her client.

“We’ve made many offers to continue cooperating but not a person has reached out to us for anything,” she said. “We can’t wait to see the information that she’s talking about.”

In an emailed statement, Houston Police Officers’ Union President Joe Gamaldi said he was pleased the DA’s office “appears to concur” with the conclusions reached by the HPD investigation that no other officers were involved in any criminal activity relating to the execution of the warrant or the shooting, and declined further comment.

Prosecutors on Friday left open the possibility of additional charges, however.

“A Harris County grand jury will shortly begin to review all evidence in the case,” Ogg said. “To determine if further charges are warranted against Goines or Bryant, if they’re authorized against any other officers, and to review any extraneous claims that have come into our office directly.”

Background

On Jan. 28, Houston narcotics officers burst into the house at 7815 Harding St. looking for heroin.

The raid went awry almost immediately, with gunfire erupting moments after an undercover narcotics team broke down the door. Tuttle and Nicholas were killed and five officers were injured. Four of the five were shot, including Goines. One officer remains paralyzed from the waist down.

Police said they were looking for heroin dealers, but the raid only turned up small, user-level amounts of cocaine and marijuana. In the days that followed, an internal investigation sparked questions about the officers’ justification for the search warrant. Though a sworn affidavit — signed by Goines — recounted a controlled buy made by a confidential informant, police quickly realized they could not verify that claim or find the alleged informant.

On HoustonChronicle.com: HPD Chief Acevedo says narcotics cop committed likely crime by lying in affidavit for deadly raid

Two months after the raid, Goines and Bryant both retired under investigation.

As police and prosecutors spent months probing the officers and their squad, the FBI opened a civil rights investigation. In July, several police officers tied to the raid testified before a federal grand jury, a sign of possible pending federal charges.

On HoustonChronicle.com: Federal grand jury hears testimony from Houston police officers about botched Pecan Park raid

As the investigation progressed quietly, attorneys for the slain couple started raising more questions about what happened. An independent forensics expert combed through the couple’s home in May and found no evidence that they’d fired toward police, but noted the presence of two bullet holes inside the home and claimed evidence showed officers fired fatal shots from outside the home and through a wall.

Sam Walker, an expert on police accountability at the University of Nebraska at Omaha, called Ogg’s decision to charge the officers “unusual.”

“How often are officers charged with murder?” he said. “It’s a positive step. … It appears they’re getting serious about that kind of misconduct.”

Arriving at court

Goines and Bryant arrived in Harris County 228th District Court to turn themselves in a few hours after charges were announced.

Their defense attorneys said the charges had caught them “flat-footed.”

Goines, who wore a sports coat and a white dress shirt, declined to speak to reporters, and sat on a courtroom bench with his head bowed.

Judge Frank Aguilar ordered Goines’ bond set at $150,000 per murder charge, significantly higher than the $50,000 bond that his attorney requested.

Assistant District Attorney David Mitcham had argued for the higher amount, noting Goines owns a truck valued at $80,000, a $30,000 motorcycle and has access to a large cash payment he collected from his police retirement fund.

“He has both the means and motivation for flight,” said Mitcham.

Aguilar later set a $50,000 bond for Bryant on his charge of tampering with a government record.

Both ex-officers were also required to surrender their passports, barred from possessing firearms or non-prescription drugs, and ordered to wear GPS monitors and undergo drug testing. The judge also ordered both Goines and Bryant not to work as peace officers or security guards, not to contact confidential informants or officers who took part in the Harding Street raid, and to adhere to a strict curfew.

“We recognize the community has been violated,” Ogg said, “and I want to assure my fellow Houstonians and residents of Harris County we are getting to the truth. You’ve heard chapter one. Each day we uncover more, and with each fact we work towards doing justice.”

Editor's note: An earlier version of this article listed the wrong charge for a former HPD officer, Steven Bryant. He faces one count of tampering with a government record, a felony.

James Pinkerton contributed to this report.

©2020 Hearst

"Look, all the ballistic and forensic evidence indicates that no way did Tuttle shoot these officers.  What my report presupposes is, what if he did?...

Wildcat.  Wildcat.  I'm gonna go."

-Acevedo

• 3 weeks later...

Kim Ogg getting to work freeing innocent people HPD framed

https://reason.com/2020/02/03/judge-finds-that-the-houston-narcotics-officer-whose-lies-killed-a-couple-in-2019-framed-another-suspect-in-2008/

Judge Finds That the Houston Narcotics Officer Whose Lies Killed a Couple in 2019 Framed Another Suspect in 2008

Harris County District Attorney Kim Ogg says it's reasonable to presume that Gerald Goines also lied in other drug cases

JACOB SULLUM | 2.3.2020 3:50 PM

When Houston narcotics officer Gerald Goines arrested Otis Mallet in 2008, he described a crack cocaine purchase in which Mallet retrieved the drug from a can inside a truck and handed it to his brother, Steven, whom Goines had paid $200. Thanks to Goines' testimony, Mallet was sentenced to eight years in prison. But today, the Houston Chronicle reports, Harris County prosecutors joined Mallet's lawyers in urging a judge to declare him "actually innocent" because Goines "repeatedly lied about nearly every aspect" of the case. The judge agreed.

The handling of Mallet's case seems to be in character for Goines, who wrote the fraudulent search warrant affidavit for the January 2019 drug raid that killed a middle-aged couple, Dennis Tuttle and Rhogena Nicholas, in their home on Harding Street. To justify the Harding Street raid, which resulted in state murder charges and federal civil rights charges against Goines, the officer invented a heroin purchase by a nonexistent confidential informant. His story about Mallet's involvement in the 2008 crack deal appears to have been equally fictitious.

"Now we know [Goines] was lying and using the district attorney's office as a tool to convict people wrongfully as early as 2008," said Harris County District Attorney Kim Ogg, whose office is reviewing some 14,000 cases involving Goines and other members of the Houston Police Department's Narcotics Division. "Anybody who was convicted as a result of Gerald Goines' testimony, or involvement in a case that is significant or relevant, will now be given a presumption when they file their writ that Goines' testimony or evidence in their case was false."

Mallet, who served two years in prison before he was released on parole, has always maintained that Goines framed him. "Goines gave conflicting testimony about why he didn't use marked bills," the Chronicle reports. "Mallet's neighbors disputed seeing him engage in a drug deal or carrying the blue can Goines said he'd handled." And while Goines claimed in an expense report that he paid $200 to a confidential informant who helped incriminate the Mallet brothers, he testified that he gave that money directly to Steven Mallet.

Goines declined to testify during Otis Mallet's hearing, citing the Fifth Amendment's protection against self-incrimination. Ogg said Goines' silence about Mallet's case is "compelling evidence that the entire alleged narcotics transaction was a fraud." Judge Ramona Franklin's recommendation that Mallet be declared innocent will be reviewed by the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals.

Ogg said the Mallet case "raises questions about how buy money was being issued by the Houston Police Department's narcotics division and used by narcotics officers like Gerald Goines, and how drug payouts were being supervised—and audited." Goines was employed by the department for 34 years before he retired in the wake of the raid that killed Tuttle and Nicholas. If he routinely lied to incriminate people that he arrested during that long career, the fault for such fraud and the resulting injustices cannot be his alone.

Edited by Viper

1 hour ago, Viper said:

"Anybody who was convicted as a result of Gerald Goines' a law enforcement officer's testimony, or involvement in a case that is significant or relevant, will now be given a presumption when they file their writ that Goines' the law enforcement officer's testimony or evidence in their case was false."

One little change and we'd really get somewhere

• Like 1

On 1/19/2020 at 1:58 PM, GringoSalado said:

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Former-HPD-officer-charged-with-murder-in-botched-14373874.php

where is the weapon that mr tuttle used? has that ever been produced? and even if he did shoot at them, it was in rightful castle doctrine self defense, because they kicked down his door and shot his dog in a no knock raid that probably shocked the inhabitants of the home

• Like 5

Y'all do know this ficticious police report thing is pretty common right?

My old stomping ground over in Kerrville are trying to measure up to Art and the Big City.  They ain't there yet, but baby steps man, baby steps...

‘Unethical, immoral and criminal’: Kerrville Police survey reveals tension within police force following questionable search warrant

A sergeant accused of lying in an affidavit has remained on the force as questions surround the motives of the officers who accused him of untruthfulness.

“We had issues that we were identifying that were occurring with those officers in the Special Crimes Unit that pushed the boundaries of adherence to policy and adherence to procedure,” Knight said. “We started to see pretty aggressive behavior, we saw an increase in use of force, we saw a lot of issues that were going on that needed to be corrected and that’s why we took the actions we took.”

Asked whether he would characterize the behavior he saw as “cowboy policing,” Knight said, “exactly.”

Knight elaborated that the moment he felt he needed to enforce change was an incident involving officer Stephehn Wherry, who received one of two suspensions issued in 2019.

Suspension documents state that Wherry used excessive force when he struck a suspect with his elbow during an arrest on Nov. 30, 2018. According to the disciplinary documents, the suspect was given three seconds to exit their vehicle before Wherry hit the suspect.

Wherry resigned from the force in October, nearly six months after he was handed down the 24-hour suspension. In his resignation, he wrote, “I refuse to work with an agency who condones criminal activity and persecuted officers who report these illegal acts. The administration of this department has not only let me down and persecuted with false allegations, but has let the entire department down along with the community as a whole.”

https://www.kens5.com/article/news/local/public-safety/unethical-immoral-and-criminal-kerrville-police-survey-reveals-tension-within-police-force-following-questionable-search-warrant/273-9d32db68-6ded-4477-9aa4-98c23f0ac3df

Edited by Cajun
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Xian said:

God. This still makes me so angry when I read anything on. Art is still covering up for corrupt murders.  I which i would imagine is a felony. Using the laws they are charging “teddy bear“ with, that makes Art a fucking murder 

Art's head should have rolled. This was on him

12 hours ago, immortal13 said:

Art's head should have rolled. This was on him

Seriously. A fuck up this bad, you go up and down the entire chain of command. You go sideways across the entire dept. Everybody gets fired. Everybody gets investigated. You clean house, top to bottom.

You don't get rid of the roach infestation by fumigating a single room.

• Like 6

Yknow, the real special operators have a couple of problems like Gallagher and Golsteyn and they take a deep dive into the problem, its causes, and solutions. https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/29/us/eddie-gallagher-us-military-special-forces.html?emc=rss&partner=rss

The amateurs let it go on unexamined for decades. 

• Like 2

I remember an episode of the Shield where Vic and Shane framed someone for the first time and Shane was like 'man this was so easy.'

That always stuck with me and most cops think of it as a superpower, whether they're claiming to smell weed in your car, or planting evidence to arrest you.  The power to do so must be unmatched.