5 HPD Officers Shot

Lobwedgephil

The warrant claims to not know the identity of the person living in the home. But given the mother of the wife called in the “tip”, it seems damn near impossible for the cops not to have known who was living there. It’s pretty obvious the officer faked the evidence to obtain the warrant.

I can see knock warrants having value in limited circumstances where the suspect has a history of violence. But it is beyond me how policy/procedure could allow no knock warrants to be executed by plain clothes police officers.

On 2/9/2019 at 7:53 AM, Lat22 said:

If I go out and murder two people, I’d like to be able to investigate myself  

Acevedo said HPD has its own special investigation unit working on the case and does not plan on asking Texas Rangers or federal authorities for help.

The chief said he’s confident their internal unit will iron out what happened last Monday.

"The day we can't investigate ourselves, we might as well close shop," Acevedo said.

I'll give ole Art some credit, at least he's right up front with how dirty he is.

Yeah, they're in full cover-up mode on this one.

Costner pretty much nails Acevedo right here...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Cajun said:

I'll give ole Art some credit, at least he's right up front with how dirty he is.

Yeah, they're in full cover-up mode on this one.

Costner pretty much nails Acevedo right here...

+ rep for the Open Range reference.

Edited by SHOOTER12

5 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Somebody needs to ask Art why we even need police then. Just have everyone investigate themselves.

Oh, no, police are honest.  

Not like ordinary shitty ass citizens.

Heroes are just on a different level.  Just ask 'em, they'll tell ya.

12 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I don’t know if this one will be swept under the rug.  They’re publicly suspending people, at least one.  Perhaps they will protect the overall bad behavior by pinning this on a small group or one person.

Sacrificial lamb.

They'll accept a certain amount of damage in order to wiggle free from full accountability.

• Like 1

I don’t know if this one will be swept under the rug.  They’re publicly suspending people, at least one.  Perhaps they will protect the overall bad behavior by pinning this on a small group or one person.

Just a couple of bad apples. Move along sir, nothing else to see here.

1 hour ago, BurntEyes said:

So people who have a history of violence and drug dealing never 

1) Go to he grocery store

2) check mail

3) go to the mall

4) go out to a bar or club for drinks

5) go to a friend's home

6) mow the lawn

7) travel anywhere

😎

Weird I can't type 8... ) Nor delete that.

Anyway, if they have a history of violence busting into their home where they are almost certainly armed seems the very worst choice of action.

If the suspect has a history of shooting at cops, I’d prefer the cops engage him in his residence than at a grocery store or shopping mall where I might happen to be.

10 minutes ago, rtchorn said:

If the suspect has a history of shooting at cops, I’d prefer the cops engage him in his residence than at a grocery store or shopping mall where I might happen to be.

tenor.gif?itemid=4924502But that poor bastard and his wife had ZERO history of shooting at cops. Or dealing drugs  

I’ve always been a supporter of the LEO’s,  but something is screwy on this one. IMO

8 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

2) check mail

3) go to the mall

5) go to a friend's home

6) mow the lawn

7) travel anywhere

😎

Anyway, if they have a history of violence busting into their home where they are almost certainly armed seems the very worst choice of action.

I'm guessing that you were NOT an advisor to Janet Reno on the Koresh situation.

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

2) check mail

3) go to the mall

5) go to a friend's home

6) mow the lawn

7) travel anywhere

😎

I recall with the Branch Davidian fiasco in Waco in 1993, the local Sheriff said all that crap could have been avoided if the Feds would have let him serve the warrant when David Korresh was running errands around the area suggesting  I guess that he had regular contact with David K or something like that? 

The 4th amendment to our constitution has been corrupted with so many dang loop holes by activist courts, legislative bodies and over zealous prosecutors,  we might as skip teaching it in the schools if we teach it at .   The so called war on drugs,  9/11,  etc have put this into over drive.   When you have  non seasoned  professionals in the ranks at prosecutors offices/ law enforcement or political activists, you get what happened with this raid.     Kind of like the other day when the Feds went to arrest Roger Stone to answer for his indictment.  Say what you want to say about that clown, but did he deserve an arrest warrant to be served in a fashion which should be reserved for a REALLY bad dude who is wanted for murder or something like that?  His arrest should have been a simple phone call to his attorney to appear at whatever court at X time to where he'd be read his rights and booked and released on bond.  But no, they probably spent a few 100k on a show for the cable news cameras.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PilotsError said:

What percentage of people who get their doors busted down have a "history of shooting at cops"? One percent? Half of a percent? One tenth of one percent?

Just remember, police unions and prison guard unions are some of the biggest lobbyists for keeping drugs illegal.

And keeping politicians in office who are pro law enforcement..... err pro union compensation demands.......

I love the way our local police officers association endorses council candidates and I'm sure it's like this in many cities across the nation.     They (the candiates ) could give a shit about the actual crime in the  city or whatever other issues the rank and file police are dealing with their jobs.   But damn if they agreee with the generous compensation(retirement) demands which allow officers who are entering the force at 22 years of age to retire at the ripe young age of 42 or 47 a quarter of century later, they are "tough on crime" if you believe the advertising that goes on come election time. 

23 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Kind of like the other day when the Feds went to arrest Roger Stone to answer for his indictment.  Say what you want to say about that clown, but did he deserve an arrest warrant to be served in a fashion which should be reserved for a REALLY bad dude who is wanted for murder or something like that?  His arrest should have been a simple phone call to his attorney to appear at whatever court at X time to where he'd be read his rights and booked and released on bond.  But no, they probably spent a few 100k on a show for the cable news cameras.

Wanted to highlight this.  The guy is pure scum.  But they didn't need full tactical battle rattle.  A knock on the door, a "please come with us, sir," that's all that was necessary.  

Their militant attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy.  When you show up everywhere with an army, the odds dictate that you're frequently going to end up in a war.

• Like 2

Yeah, if you listen to the Reasonable Doubt podcast with Adam Corolla and Mark Geragos, they talked about Roger Stone and similar situations.  In most of these cases, the defense's legal counsel has already let the prosecutor know that they would surrender themselves in the event of a warrant.  This is a case of the DA/SA/etc. wanting to send a political message, unleashing the dogs when their use of force is entirely unnecessary.  It's especially true when they tip off a news agency so they can be there to film the arrest raid, even though it was a sealed indictment.  Apparently proper rules and etiquette don't apply if you work for the State.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

I recall with the Branch Davidian fiasco in Waco in 1993, the local Sheriff said all that crap could have been avoided if the Feds would have let him serve the warrant when David Korresh was running errands around the area suggesting  I guess that he had regular contact with David K or something like that? 

The 4th amendment to our constitution has been corrupted with so many dang loop holes by activist courts, legislative bodies and over zealous prosecutors,  we might as skip teaching it in the schools if we teach it at .   The so called war on drugs,  9/11,  etc have put this into over drive.   When you have  non seasoned  professionals in the ranks at prosecutors offices/ law enforcement or political activists, you get what happened with this raid.     Kind of like the other day when the Feds went to arrest Roger Stone to answer for his indictment.  Say what you want to say about that clown, but did he deserve an arrest warrant to be served in a fashion which should be reserved for a REALLY bad dude who is wanted for murder or something like that?  His arrest should have been a simple phone call to his attorney to appear at whatever court at X time to where he'd be read his rights and booked and released on bond.  But no, they probably spent a few 100k on a show for the cable news cameras.

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Wanted to highlight this.  The guy is pure scum.  But they didn't need full tactical battle rattle.  A knock on the door, a "please come with us, sir," that's all that was necessary.  

Their militant attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy.  When you show up everywhere with an army, the odds dictate that you're frequently going to end up in a war.

Out of rep today for some reason, but thank you both for mentioning this.  I come at a lot of the Mueller/Trump stuff from a civil libertarian (crytpo-anarcho-syndicalist) position and am always getting reamed for it.  I read every indictment with skepticism, and that means every indictment, not just the ones where I like or despise the defendant.

The FBI loves them some glory and publicity, and they still could have gotten a perp walk without all the foofaraw.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

This kind of shit could happen to anybody. Someone with a grudge against you calls in an anonymous tip, cops get the warrant signed and boom....they are kicking down your front door. Like a lot of people, I keep a loaded gun close by the bed. I guess I'll just go down in a blaze of glory if something like this ever happens to me. Or more likely, I will be demonized for how many legal guns were in my house, along with whatever drugs they claim they found.   

Edited by immortal13
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, immortal13 said:

This kind of shit could happen to anybody. Someone with a grudge against you calls in an anonymous tip, cops get the warrant signed and boom....they are kicking down your front door. Like a lot of people, I keep a loaded gun close by the bed. I guess I'll just go down in a blaze of glory if something like this ever happens to me. Or more likely, I will be demonized for how many legal guns were in my house, along with whatever drugs they claim they found.   

There's a term for it, called swatting.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

The Sheriff had gone at there many time to shoot with David and knew that they were buying/selling at gun shows.  "Waco: Rules of Engagement" is great on this, it is mostly interviews and footage.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dr Fear said:

The Sheriff had gone at there many time to shoot with David and knew that they were buying/selling at gun shows.  "Waco: Rules of Engagement" is great on this, it is mostly interviews and footage.

God, the sounds of the psychological warfare they used (dolphin chirps and the screams of dying rabbits) was fucking haunting.  I hope Janet Reno is rotting in hell now.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, rtchorn said:

So we agree there are some scenarios where no knock warrants are acceptable/necessary.

Sure.  Generally, where there's good reason to believe that it will be the SAFER alternative.  That's going to be pretty damned rare -- like, when you are raiding a house full of guys and weapons ready to go.  You want to catch those guys off-guard, so they don't have time to arm up and take up firing positions.  And again, it needs to be a circumstance where you can't make the arrest outside the house and away from the weapons.  Otherwise....there's not much reason for them.

Never say "never."  But they should be a VERY rare tool, not something used whenever a cop says "we're looking for drugs, and they could flush 'em."  That makes them applicable to damned near every warrant.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

Out of rep today for some reason, but thank you both for mentioning this.  I come at a lot of the Mueller/Trump stuff from a civil libertarian (crytpo-anarcho-syndicalist) position and am always getting reamed for it.  I read every indictment with skepticism, and that means every indictment, not just the ones where I like or despise the defendant.

The FBI loves them some glory and publicity, and they still could have gotten a perp walk without all the foofaraw.

I agree.  I guess with age, I've become more of a civil libetarian and cast skeptic eye on many things government does in the name of law enforcment and the public good with the war on drugs being in the fore front.  The fact you can have large sums of cash confiscated from you BECAUSE they suspect you of acquiring the cash by illegal means makes what the authorities do in outlaw contries look minor league.   Can someone show me a statute on the books which prohibits a citizen from carrying large sums of cash with them? 

• Like 1

It would be interesting if we could have some procedure for high stakes warrants like no knocks where it required live testimony before the judge instead of an affidavit.  I bet that would make them a lot better.  Judges could see through bullshit better.  It would come straight from their mouths instead of massaged then signed.  Maybe even take advantage of the fact that technology exists now and where ever the affidavit was going to be executed, set up FaceTime with the judge instead.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Sure.  Generally, where there's good reason to believe that it will be the SAFER alternative.  That's going to be pretty damned rare -- like, when you are raiding a house full of guys and weapons ready to go.  You want to catch those guys off-guard, so they don't have time to arm up and take up firing positions.  And again, it needs to be a circumstance where you can't make the arrest outside the house and away from the weapons.  Otherwise....there's not much reason for them.

Never say "never."  But they should be a VERY rare tool, not something used whenever a cop says "we're looking for drugs, and they could flush 'em."  That makes them applicable to damned near every warrant.

This is pretty much where I am on this.  But there are a bunch of anarchists in this thread . . .

5 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

I doubt we agree as you used the word "some" and acceptable. 

Rare and required/necessary are the only stipulations I would allow. 

No, drug offenses don't fucking qualify, at all, ever. 

If the NSA, ATF, FBI and CIA have confirmed data which they are willing to provide to the public on a terrorist cell operating in a home that is heavily fortified and a impending threat is clearly demonstrable. Sure, no knock the shit out of it. Drugs also happen to be there, well, who cares. 

Or, a person has been posting online/social media about committing violence and taking photos with guns and there is additional evidence of a plan, okay, No Knock it, before that person shoots a place up rather than ignoring it like they have been in the recent past. 

For fucks sake man, we’re in agreement. My original statement, which you took objection to, was:

”I can see knock warrants having value in limited circumstances where the suspect has a history of violence. But it is beyond me how policy/procedure could allow no knock warrants to be executed by plain clothes police officers.”

My main point was not that no knock warrants are a necessary police tactic; it was that allowing no knock warrants to be executed by plain clothes officers is dangerous and dumb. 

• Like 1

I was watching the news this morning and they were showing that some police dog now has a bullet proof vest to keep it safe. Quite ironic considering the first thing the cops do is shoot the family dog in front of the terrified owners. Shoot the cop dog and you will rot under the jail. They kill your dog as a matter of procedure. 

I was watching the news this morning and they were showing that some police dog now has a bullet proof vest to keep it safe. Quite ironic considering the first thing the cops do is shoot the family dog in front of the terrified owners. Shoot the cop dog and you will rot under the jail. They kill your dog as a matter of procedure. 
But it's ok when a cop leaves the police dog in a hot car to die. Happens way too often

9 hours ago, Larry T. Spider said:

The K-9's bullet proof vest is to protect them from their idiot handlers.  Cops shoot each other almost as much as they shoot unarmed teens and dogs. 

5 hours ago, Homercles said:

I thought all police cars were running pretty much all the time as they don’t pay for gas?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/police-dog-dies-after-being-left-in-hot-car-in-columbia-south-carolina-for-more-than-6-hours/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.coloradoan.com/amp/1120287002

Took me 12 seconds.  Bunch more out there.